KT Gone to Seattle

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Suns better have made this move because they had something else already lined up like PJ Brown. Another possibility I could see is a rekindling of the Marcus Camby trade......they didn't want KT & his salary before so now they could have an $8 million trade exemption and get immediate relief.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Oh god...I just found this thread...........Well we aren't winning anything anytime soon.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
BTW - For those who believe we can sign KT if Seattle waives him....we can't. They made a new rule after Gary Payton did this with Boston.

Players who are traded and released cannot resign with the team they were traded from.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
No he is not. The average fan sees the Grant Hill signing as a bigger deal than letting KT go.

Its only the fans on message boards like this one that he will have to "save his hide."

True.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
As I mentioned in a recent post, I'm cool with dumping KT if they can bring in PJ Brown. It is extremely troubling, however, that they had to use a Gugliotta-esque TWO first round picks to do it. Surely they could have dumped KT's expiring contract at the trade deadline for much less than that.

I can't fathom that this is the last move they will make. Why I still have some faith after all the crap that has happened over the last couple months, I have no idea. I suppose I'm starting to fit the definition of insanity - doing the same thing (trusting the Suns FO) and expecting a different result...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Someone here that knows how we can use this trade exception without bringing on a luxury tax hit please explain it in general terms. I find it hard to believe we go to war next season relying on Marks as our big guy back up in games. We were short handed in the front court with just Amare and Kurt playing as true front court bigs, imho. I cannot see us winning minus Kurt Thomas once we hit the playoffs. Kurt could have sat out all last regular season as long as he was there for us in the playoffs, imho. We need a stopper come playoff time, or it's Spurs or Mavs next year as NBA Champions. I gotta believe Steve Kerr knows that after he's criticised the Suns interior defense as a commentator.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW - For those who believe we can sign KT if Seattle waives him....we can't. They made a new rule after Gary Payton did this with Boston.

Players who are traded and released cannot resign with the team they were traded from.

Don't they just have to wait like 60 days or something like that?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone here that knows how we can use this trade exception without bringing on a luxury tax hit please explain it in general terms. I find it hard to believe we go to war next season relying on Marks as our big guy back up in games. We were short handed in the front court with just Amare and Kurt playing as true front court bigs, imho. I cannot see us winning minus Kurt Thomas once we hit the playoffs. Kurt could have sat out all last regular season as long as he was there for us in the playoffs, imho. We need a stopper come playoff time, or it's Spurs or Mavs next year as NBA Champions. I gotta believe Steve Kerr knows that after he's criticised the Suns interior defense as a commentator.

We can't. We are over the luxury tax, and that is why we needed to trade KT. Once we aquire anyone else, trade exception or not, we add new salary, thus new luxury tax.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
Sure doesn't sound like Kerr is planning on doing much else this offseason...

"We are doing everything we can to keep our core group together. Sometimes in doing so, you have difficult decisions to make," Suns general manager Steve Kerr said in a statement.

"We feel good going forward having our core group of players under contract for several years, including the recent addition of free-agent Grant Hill. The bottom line is there are tough decisions to make, but we have flexibility and our core together. We really like the group of players we've assembled and feel we can make a legitimate run for an NBA championship next season."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2943588

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sure doesn't sound like Kerr is planning on doing much else this offseason...

"We are doing everything we can to keep our core group together. Sometimes in doing so, you have difficult decisions to make," Suns general manager Steve Kerr said in a statement.

"We feel good going forward having our core group of players under contract for several years, including the recent addition of free-agent Grant Hill. The bottom line is there are tough decisions to make, but we have flexibility and our core together. We really like the group of players we've assembled and feel we can make a legitimate run for an NBA championship next season."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2943588

Steve Kerr is a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Kerr is a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

and the gloves come off!

honestly, if Kerr is true to his word (and his wordand the word of the entire FO, for good or bad has yet to be shown it can be trusted) and we're really moving forward, thinking this roster AS IS is championship material, we ain't winning squat.

i'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't consider KT our core. I do not see anything hypocritical in that statement.

So I guess you never saw any Suns games that he was the color guy for?? The guy was adamant about how we could never succeed without interior defense. I wasn't referring to KT being part of our core, although I believe he was a very important member of the team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
and the gloves come off!

honestly, if Kerr is true to his word (and his word, for good or bad yet to be shown it can be trusted) and we're really moving forward, thinking this roster AS IS is championship material, we ain't winning squat.

i'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

...sigh...

I agree. Dear God, I freaking agree. :sad:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I guess you never saw any Suns games that he was the color guy for?? The guy was adamant about how we could never succeed without interior defense. I wasn't referring to KT being part of our core, although I believe he was a very important member of the team.

i'm pretty sure all year long, DA pounded his chest about having the top 7 in the league. Wasn't KT part of that 7? I would think that means he was part of the core.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I pointed that out in another discussion. When they were doing their picks for which teams would make it to the finals...Kerr flat out said he didn't pick Phoenix because the lacked interior defense, toughness and size in the middle.

So if that was Kerr the "analyst" saying that, should his opinion still be the same as the "GM"? If not, then I guess his evaluation of of the Suns talent on this team is predicated on the size of his paycheck.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I pointed that out in another discussion. When they were doing their picks for which teams would make it to the finals...Kerr flat out said he didn't pick Phoenix because the lacked interior defense, toughness and size in the middle.

So if that was Kerr the "analyst" saying that, should his opinion still be the same as the "GM"? If not, then I guess his evaluation of of the Suns talent on this team is predicated on the size of his paycheck.

You'd think his color skills, i.e. his intelligence about what is happening on the court, would translate to a GM title. Guess not.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure all year long, DA pounded his chest about having the top 7 in the league. Wasn't KT part of that 7? I would think that means he was part of the core.
Barbosa and Diaw were the first two bench guys.

Also, KT was injured the second half of the year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05