KT Gone to Seattle

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
This team isn't winning a title. You can write that in your diary, lock it up, and throw away the key. The front office already knows it, now the players know it, and soon the fans will know it. They'll be fun and exciting and they'll make enough noise in the playoffs to say they were "close," but they aren't getting there. I wouldn't take this team at 30 to 1 for next year's title.

Sig material here.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Last year was their best chance and they knew it. I think the attitude was, blow the bankroll for one good shot, win or lose. Well, they lost, and that was that.

This team isn't winning a title. You can write that in your diary, lock it up, and throw away the key. The front office already knows it, now the players know it, and soon the fans will know it. They'll be fun and exciting and they'll make enough noise in the playoffs to say they were "close," but they aren't getting there. I wouldn't take this team at 30 to 1 for next year's title.

When is the last time that a team that was at worst third in the league decided to "reload" by dumping several draft picks and half of their competent big men? Never, that's when.

Next year's rotation is a joke. The three bigs are Stoudemire, Marion, and Diaw -- in other words, a PF with bad knees, a SF who is afraid of contact, and the league's softest Euro, who doesn't even have a position. The SF rotation is a guy coming off of 57 major surgeries and either (a) a rookie who can't shoot or (b) a 6' 4" shooting guard. There is no backup PG. There is absolutely no significant problem of last year's team that has been addressed this summer. Every move has been either lateral or backwards.

Enjoy the regular season, guys. That's all we'll have next year.

Wow, all this after losing Kurt Thomas? Someone should be on suicide watch for you Eric.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Yeah, one thing that annoys me about this trade is that they were supposedly looking at Mihm and Joe Smith, but they waited until both players were gone to dump KT's salary.

Do you think they got out-bid on both players, or were they not willing to make a firm commitment with KT still on the books? Hmm...
I was thinking the same thing. To me it was interesting that they would dump him after those two were signed. Argh.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Wow, all this after losing Kurt Thomas? Someone should be on suicide watch for you Eric.
It's not just Kurt Thomas being dumped though that's triggering a reaction like this to some. It's a culmination of this offseason, and bad moves in the past.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I have said on here before that they would trade KT before the Feb. deadline, but not with two draft picks and nothing in return!

If they can sign P. J. Brown (on his last leg, but still can play some) and someone like Melvin Ely or Mark Jackson that can play a little they will be just as good as they were with KT.
Jackson is a tough nut that will mix it up in the middle and score some, Ely is young and can also mix it up and score some. The problem with Ely and Jackson is what they will cost, they are not coming for the minimum so maybe they are not coming at all.

I will say the suns can not win the championship with the team as it is now, no matter the spin from the front office, they have to get bigger.

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
Worst trade ever.

SUNS will NOT make the playoffs.

Every team has 6 centers. Suns have zero.

Big men wins games. Suns don't have one. Suns won't win games.

Guess Kerr never got the memo that Mihm, Joe Smith, and the rest of the leading big men signed with other clubs.

Was the plan to play GRANT HILL at center all this time?

Kerr and Sarver need to be hung for being liars in fooling everyone that they were serious about a title.

What a horrible organization. Suns stink!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Worst trade ever.

SUNS will NOT make the playoffs.

Every team has 6 centers. Suns have zero.

Big men wins games. Suns don't have one. Suns won't win games.

Guess Kerr never got the memo that Mihm, Joe Smith, and the rest of the leading big men signed with other clubs.

Was the plan to play GRANT HILL at center all this time?

Kerr and Sarver need to be hung for being liars in fooling everyone that they were serious about a title.

What a horrible organization. Suns stink!

Well thats gotta be one of the dumbest posts ever! Suns went from contenders to not even making the playoffs. Yeah that and every team has 6 CENTERS yeah right!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is Seattle really interested in KT as a player, or did they just want the picks?

If they just wanted the picks, they could waive KT and we could sign him for the minimum.

I don't know why we weren't able to get a young big back from Seattle, they have lots of them. So does Milwaukee.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's not just Kurt Thomas being dumped though that's triggering a reaction like this to some. It's a culmination of this offseason, and bad moves in the past.

Considering there is still 2 1/2 months of the offseason, don't you think it's a little premature?

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Considering there is still 2 1/2 months of the offseason, don't you think it's a little premature?
No, because there isn't much that can be done to improve this team now. They preach flexibility, but there really isn't any. Suns screwed themselves.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is my biggest problem with some of the bigs being thrown around on this board. Assuming that the Suns are going to make another move, none of the guys mentioned would be an improvement over Kurt Thomas.

If having Kurt on this team didn't get us there then how does unloading him and replacing him with an inferior player improve our middle? I won't be surprised if the Suns do nothing else. Just like I won't be surprised come the finals if we are all watching something else because a certain "boring" team is playing for another ring.

not me.

Overaction to role players is a Suns board mantra.

I don't agree that is the case here (though it has happened in the past). When James Jones was traded I didn't see anything close to this. James was just a role player. However, we clearly had pieces to replace him. It's one thing to lose a guy you can fill in with other pieces. It's another to lose a guy with no way in site of replacing regardless if he is a role player or not.

We are not weak at the spot James was playing. However, we are weak at the spot Kurt was playing. BIG DIFFERENCE. I just am holding out hope the Suns are not done yet. I really want to believe that.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No, because there isn't much that can be done to improve this team now. They preach flexibility, but there really isn't any. Suns screwed themselves.

Come on, that's a tad bit naive. There are still a few things the Suns can do.

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
anyone want to give me a nudge and send me flying off the cliff, so I can just get it over with?

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Is Seattle really interested in KT as a player, or did they just want the picks?

If they just wanted the picks, they could waive KT and we could sign him for the minimum.

I don't know why we weren't able to get a young big back from Seattle, they have lots of them. So does Milwaukee.

Seattle is pretty young, having a bridge like KT will be great for the Sonics this year.

Not only that but they could actually probably turn KT into more picks at the deadline, remember he is an expiring contract. Most teams get picks in return for expiring contracts, unless you are desperate like the Suns always are to dump salary.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
The truly arrogant part of this deal is the assumption by ownership that we will be an elite team in 2009-2010, when we give Seattle our 2nd first round pick. Marion will be gone that year, Nash will be 36 and in the last year of a contract that the Suns could very well NOT pick up since it's a team option, and Amare will be entering year 4 of post knee surgery. A lottery pick is certainly not out of the question.

Then again, maybe we'll be saved the agony of watching our team, coming off a losing season, sell another first round pick.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
The truly arrogant part of this deal is the assumption by ownership that we will be an elite team in 2009-2010, when we give Seattle our 2nd first round pick. Marion will be gone that year, Nash will be 36 and in the last year of a contract that the Suns could very well NOT pick up since it's a team option, and Amare will be entering year 4 of post knee surgery. A lottery pick is certainly not out of the question.
We know the pick next summer isn't protected, because otherwise they couldn't give away the pick in 2009-10.

We don't know yet about the 2009-10 pick, I think.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they have something in place just as when they traded the #24 before confirming Jones was going which was before confirming that Hill would be signed.

During the draft, the Suns were planning to trade KT and the Atlanta pick (and probably one of the other picks) for Noah. Since Noah is not very big, they would be in a similar situation to where they are now. Clearly they think they have a less expensive fall back position.

It's obvious that PJ Brown is not returning to Chicago (drafting Noah and signing Joe Smith) nor has he worked out for anyone other than the Suns. Reporters bring up his name, but no direct meetings since he was in Phoenix.

My guess is that PJ is willing to come to Phoenix, but not for veteran minimum and not just to replace Burke. If they signed him for $3 million, it would mean $5 million less ifrom salary and $5 million less from LT for a guy who has a reputation for being pretty good against Duncan.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
More likely for

3M$, Grant Hill, PJ Brown, a 2nd rounder and 16M$ luxury tax savings and maybe even another FA.

Chicago’s P.J. Brown is at the top of the free-agent list, although there are indications that he’s leaning toward retirement. Chris Mihm resigned with the Lakers on Thursday, while players like Brian Skinner are a possibility.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/93612

Whats the expression? Don't count your eggs before they're in the basket?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chicago’s P.J. Brown is at the top of the free-agent list, although there are indications that he’s leaning toward retirement. Chris Mihm resigned with the Lakers on Thursday, while players like Brian Skinner are a possibility.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
Don't put all of your eggs in the same basket.

Brianellsworth

Registered
Reaction score

:repost: you just posted this in another thread basically the exact same post