KT Gone to Seattle

Brianellsworth

Registered
Reaction score
Well i am not an average fan then.I didn't say much when they signed Hill,although i think it was a waste of money.Letting KT along with 2 first round draft picks is a bad move,unless they have another deal in the works that we know nothing about.
signing grant hill was a waste of money when we are paying him less then 2 million a year ??????

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
so who exactly is going to try and guard duncan for us now in the playoffs?

Brianellsworth

Registered
Reaction score
so who exactly is going to try and guard duncan for us now in the playoffs?
marcus banks or sean marks.....accoriding to steve kerr marcus banks has already dominated in the summer league (cought: one game with 42 points) and if you havent heard we are all going to be amazed with sean marks this year.....maybe if we are lucky he will play decently good for us and then go sign elsewhere for a nice paycheck and do absolutely nothing /memories of tim thomas :bang:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Starting roster and depth chart.

1. Nash
2. Bell
3. Hill
4. Marion
5. Stoudemire

6. Barbosa
7. Diaw
---------------
8. Banks
9. Tucker
10. Marks
11. Strawberry
12. Piatkowski
13. ??? Does the KT trade make room for Otis George?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Kerr anyway you look at this is a damn hypocrite after todays interview. He flat out said last year the Suns needed more size and toughness to beat the like of San Antonio.

Where is that sentiment now?

Why is being a GM changed that view?

How did we improve on his own criticism by trading Kurt?

If we are going after a player "that won't play" how are we improving enough to get a title based on his own evaluation of our middle since last season?

How is Kerr anything less of a hypocrite or puppet in this situation?

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
Bottom line. Three steps backward. Both for next year and for the next five.

The only way they can redeem themselves is by making another move that implies progress again.

In next year's Spurs series, Amare will guard Duncan, spend most of every game in foul trouble, and we'll lose in five.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Kerr anyway you look at this is a damn hypocrite after todays interview. He flat out said last year the Suns needed more size and toughness to beat the like of San Antonio.

Where is that sentiment now?

Why is being a GM changed that view?

How did we improve on his own criticism by trading Kurt?

If we are going after a player "that won't play" how are we improving enough to get a title based on his own evaluation of our middle since last season?

How is Kerr anything less of a hypocrite or puppet in this situation?

he's playing the role of company man. I can't believe Kerr thinks this is a good deal, unless he's got something else up his sleeve.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Since I'm such a big Suns FO & D'Antoni fan, I'll try to put a positive spin on it...

Having KT gone will be less excruciating than watching Mike keep him on the bench in order to play small, knowing it means he will not be effective when he's needed in the playoffs.

And just think if everyone stays perfectly healthy and the stars from our summer league team contribute the Suns could well win the regular season and the trophy given to the most exciting team.

Ballamania

Registered
Reaction score
i'm going to hold back cursing at this computer monitor or the suns front office. before i blast them, i will give them every opportunity in the near future to show us the conclusion to THIS trade. it will be very hard for me to believe that there isnt something else brewing because if not, they might be the biggest group of cheap, incompetent idiots i've seen in a long time. i regress and wait..............................

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm going to hold back cursing at this computer monitor or the suns front office. before i blast them, i will give them every opportunity in the near future to show us the conclusion to THIS trade. it will be very hard for me to believe that there isnt something else brewing because if not, they might be the biggest group of cheap, incompetent idiots i've seen in a long time. i regress and wait..............................

The concusion to the trade will be in 2010. Care to adjust your opinion?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is there any word about the protection on the 2010 pick, if there is any. It better at least be lottery protected.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
ummm...2 years ago he played 27 mpg and 19 last year.

The suns defense was at its best BY FAR when he was in the game. They didn't go through those stretches where they can't get a freaking rebound when he was in the game. You keep underestimating his contributions.

KT also missed around 50 games, 2 years ago... I count the Playoffs.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So, the Suns let a seldom used player go and saved $16 million and two guaranteed contracts to do so. A Seattle pick in 2008 (or probably even 9) is about as good as a Suns 2008 first rounder. So, let's say it is a pick and a half. And how many of these required big men come at the end of the first round? That's right - none! You pick up role players at the end of the first round. Every once in a while one or two will break out, but other than that if you are counting on it you are just setting yourself up.

So, is it the roster count (giving away two picks for one) that you are worried about? Those picks are replaceable through other means if necessary. KT did not help us win much this past season. Great teammate, gave his all, but that isn't all that much any more. Probably even less next year. $16 million for the hope that he can give TD another 6 fouls? Crazy.

Yes, it kind of sucks that money is important. But this irrational stuff flying around here is crazy. KT is not the difference in a title or not. He just isn't. He may have been a complimentary piece. Now, of course the Suns need to get another big man - but they are going to look at a portion of the MLE, vet min.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm sure your portion of the $16 million is in the mail right now, right? You guys let sports control WAY too much of your blood pressure.... Hell, we have refs fixing games, and you are concerned that KT is not on the team anymore...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a typo, but I'm not sure whether you meant "conclusion" or "concussion." I think the second is more appropriate.

Ha!

mean "conclusion", but now that you mention it "concussion" fits too.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So, the Suns let a seldom used player go and saved $16 million and two guaranteed contracts to do so. A Seattle pick in 2008 (or probably even 9) is about as good as a Suns 2008 first rounder. So, let's say it is a pick and a half. And how many of these required big men come at the end of the first round? That's right - none! You pick up role players at the end of the first round. Every once in a while one or two will break out, but other than that if you are counting on it you are just setting yourself up.

So, is it the roster count (giving away two picks for one) that you are worried about? Those picks are replaceable through other means if necessary. KT did not help us win much this past season. Great teammate, gave his all, but that isn't all that much any more. Probably even less next year. $16 million for the hope that he can give TD another 6 fouls? Crazy.

Yes, it kind of sucks that money is important. But this irrational stuff flying around here is crazy. KT is not the difference in a title or not. He just isn't. He may have been a complimentary piece. Now, of course the Suns need to get another big man - but they are going to look at a portion of the MLE, vet min.

This process is very predictable. Every time there is some kind of deal relating to money, panic sets in and there innumerable predictions that the sky is falling and the FO is made up of a bunch of cheapskate idiots.

If there are no other moves to come, then I'd agree they are making a mistake. But why assume there is nothing else to come? With both a fule MLE and an $8 million TE, they do have some options.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Wow, took ME only an hour to read all 18 pages...

So hopefully PJ Brown is interested, although knowing the Suns the length of the years I've followed them... adding a big that could give Duncan problems on offensive side of ball, because they need 1 more big whether he's another big that won't play much except against the Spurs/Rockets, etc. or another offensive big, they still need one.

What would Yi Jian-Lian's contract be like, rookie year? Use TE and Hawks Pick and then the Suns could have Traded 8 First Round Picks in 4 years... lol although they'll have added 2 this year in Tucker and Yi but still, thats gotta be close to a record, Trading 8 First Round Picks in 4 years? Right? lol

PG: Nash, Barbosa, Banks, Strawberry
SG: Bell, Barbosa, Tucker, Strawberry
SF: Hill, Marion, Diaw, Tucker, Bell, Strawberry

The Suns look much better 1-3

But they need find a big that can give solid minutes, remember the Suns lost KT and Stat but Diaw stepped up and they ADDED Tim Thomas... whether it's Yi, Blatche, PJ Brown, O George, Skinner, whoever else is available, etc. they should have all bigs interested in coming for4/5 spot with KT leaving now...

fordronken

Reaction score
Realistically, the Suns have a better chance of winning the championship this year than they did last year, and last year they were damned close. I still stand by my assesment that there were only two teams that played championship calliber basketball in the playoffs, and they were the Suns and Spurs. Nobody else was even close. There were great games and great series, but those teams didn't stand a chance against the top two.

What the Suns don't have is much of a margin of error. Granted, if Duncan goes down, the Spurs are screwed, the same way we are with Nash. I think we've got a shot at a title if any single player other than Nash gets hurt, but not a very good one. I'm excited for this team, and while I'd love to have KT on the bench, he is not the difference for us one way or the other.

There is one main thing that I think is a very underrated factor in our bid for a title next year: development. Boris Diaw, Leandro Barbosa and Amare Stoudemire are going to better players next year and nobody else on the team is going to tail off noticeably.

Stargazer

Registered
Reaction score
Trading KT only really matters if we face the Spurs next year in the playoffs. That could happen, of course, but it's no sure thing, since Dallas (or Houston) might knock them out for us.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Realistically, the Suns have a better chance of winning the championship this year than they did last year, and last year they were damned close. I still stand by my assesment that there were only two teams that played championship calliber basketball in the playoffs, and they were the Suns and Spurs. Nobody else was even close. There were great games and great series, but those teams didn't stand a chance against the top two.

What the Suns don't have is much of a margin of error. Granted, if Duncan goes down, the Spurs are screwed, the same way we are with Nash. I think we've got a shot at a title if any single player other than Nash gets hurt, but not a very good one. I'm excited for this team, and while I'd love to have KT on the bench, he is not the difference for us one way or the other.

There is one main thing that I think is a very underrated factor in our bid for a title next year: development. Boris Diaw, Leandro Barbosa and Amare Stoudemire are going to better players next year and nobody else on the team is going to tail off noticeably.

You should not talk this way for a least a few days while everyone gets over the "freak out" stage of this process.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have time right now to read all the posts. But some things I need to say:

1) Why does Sarver say he is willing to pay LT and then trade JR, KT and 3 picks for nothing? He is a hypocrite. He says one thing to the media and fans, and then he hides behind his GM as he slowly dismantles the team in order to maximize team revenue. Dallas will be paying LT too, yet they just re-signed Stackhouse. The Suns are one of the most profitable teams in the league. They could have certainly afforded it.

2) You would think, if you are willing to give up 3 first round picks in total, you would be able to at the very least move a useless player like Banks too.

3) KT was brought here with a specific purpose. His play against the Spurs was really good. That's what he was here for. He also mentored Amare. Who is going to fill that role now?

4) The actual trade: Quentin Richardson + Nate Robinson + 2 First round picks for Nothing.

5) In the last few years: QRich + Nate + JR + Rodriguez + Fernandez + 2 future first round picks all sold for CASH.

6) Grant Hill is not going to guard Tim Duncan.

7) Alando Tucker is not going to guard Tim Duncan.