Kyler Murray Debate Thread

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler will likely enter tomorrow top 5 in QBR.

Gotta start resulting in wins though.
78 QBR tonight. Annddd I don't know how. Maybe comp bumping it up/accounting for drops.

Almost 69 QBR on the season/top 5.

If he/Petzing could ever figure out a consistent forward pass. We might have something. As of now Im still questioning everything. Even QBR lol

Last edited:

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
78 QBR tonight. Annddd I don't know how. Maybe comp bumping it up/accounting for drops.

If he/Petzing could ever figure out a consistent forward pass. We might have something. As of now Im still questioning everything. Even QBR lol
Great post ! ! !... Right now the guy is ranked the 5th best QB in the NFL. Though very inconsistent, not sure what the problem is but I agree that they seriously need to figure it out. There's No way you should have a QB ranked in the top 5 and a struggling offense smh... Makes no sense.. Put Petzing in the box and take him off the sidelines and maybe that might make a difference, seems to have done wonders for Kingsbury lol

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can we stop with the Kyler is bad/great conversations? It's obvious that neither are true, and unlikely to be so anytime soon.

The conversation should be around is Kyler good enough to ____________.

Is he good enough to take a mediocre team to the playoffs? I don't think so.

Is he good enough to lead a good team to the playoffs? I think so.

Based on that, then you have to pour resources into putting a good team around him. That takes skill and luck. Under-resourcing our 2024 roster was a choice, and likely puts us back another year. But maybe we get another 1-2 really good prospects out of it?

Meh. Making the playoffs is an underwhelming goal.

Can Kyler get us to the playoffs and beat a good team? Can he go head to head with a great QB and drag a team over the line that isn't at 100%? Like Burrow, Allen, Lamar, Stroud etc can do? No, I don't think he can.

If Kyler is just a QB that can only beat good teams when everything is going his way and everyone is playing the top of their game, well, there are plenty of QB's that can do that.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you do this on purpose for likes?

You have a lot of people here already that are anti-Kyler & are ready to move on from him than the opposite. The fact you keep trying so hard to not see that is completely hilarious.

Do I do what on purpose? It's tedious watching the same people over and over blame everything but Kyler for Kyler being poor.

When Kyler is good, I say that he is good. I don't say "Oh he was only good because of Petzing, or the receivers or the Oline".

And if he is bad and it's clearly because of Petzing, or the receivers or the O line I will say so.

But a lot of the time he's just independently bad. He makes poor reads, poor decisions and poor throws.

Trust me, I want Kyler to be great. I honestly expected him to be great this year. A lot of the things off the field that I've criticized him about he fixed. His community and fan engagement has been great, his media engagement has been much improved, his enthusiasm and buy in looked like exactly what we want. I really wanted him to be fixed.

But he's been the same as he was, actually worse than the games he came back from injury last year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

For the same reason Mitch Trubisky once came 3rd in QBR. It favours mobile QB's, especially those that can avoid a sack and turn a 6 yard loss into 4 yard gain. A bunch of negative plays with the arm can be overcome with positive plays with their legs.

No system is perfect for these things. Even in his best season Kyler was 7th overall in 2021, and every game other than the Rams I'd say has been worse than his worst regular season game that season.

Also there's been some pretty poor QB play this year. Mahomes, Rodgers, Hurts etc of all been down.

It's insane to me that Kyler is 5th and CJ Stroud is 12th, Jordan Love 14th, Jared Goff 15th, Baker Mayfield 16th and Sam Darnold 18th. All of whom have clearly been far, far superior to Kyler. Heck, Caleb Williams is 26th and I'd say he's been better.