Lebron Opts Out/Becomes Free Agent

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something that hasn't been mentioned much in the Lebron FA talks is that wherever he goes, he definitely will want to finish his career there . It seems when people are judging these "on paper" rosters, they aren't taking that into consideration. If that is taken into consideration, I don't see how PHX isn't the best place for him outside of Miami ... It goes without saying that PHX has players at every position that will only improve

I also think Alex Len is a BIG drawing pt. to PHX if you think long-term ...

I'll just say I don't think Len is a drawing point to anyone, much less LeBron is getting people to phoenix and leave it at that.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I remember Jordan doing the year to year thing in his final three season with the Bulls. This will ensure the Heat keep the best team around him.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/06/lebron-demand-salary.html

LeBron James is seeking a maximum salary and initial meetings with teams will be held by his agent Rich Paul. Sam Amick of USA Today first reported news of Paul handling the meetings on Sunday.

well that seems perfect for us since we will talk to his agent regarding Bledsoe anyway..

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score
Based on what? My guess is that if leaves Miami he will want the same player options so he can leave again after 2 or 3 years if the team is not to his liking.

Well, I agree with you that Lebron would want flexibility to leave a team, but that doesn’t change the fact that like any NBA player, any human being, you don’t want to have to move your family to another place every few years. I think that’s just assumed. Therefore, Lebron “wants” to go to a place long-term. It’s just like now – I think he knows that PHX has a better team than Miami outside of him (pretty obvious since they only had 6 more W’s than us last year), but he’ll probably stay just because it’s a hassle to move mainly …. It’s not like Lebron “wants” to leave Miami – He’s just considering it because their roster is pretty weak

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If lebron wants max money in miami, they are running back same team as last year with no added pieces. There will be no money left even to get someone like frye.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Aren't you the biggest troll of them all? Everytime you post on the Suns board it's to instigate.

Miami was not a big time NBA organization before Lebron no matter their fluke championship.
They were not regarded as a top organization, they are not in a big market, they didn't get any special media attention. They were similiar to Orlando if even that.

I would disagree that the championship was a fluke. No championship is a fluke.

However I agree that Miami is big-time now because of Lebron. If it was still Wade and everyone else MIA would be an "upper-tier" middle market franchise.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Hmmm now it's being reported that Lebron will accept nothing below the max. Maybe this plot in Miami isn't as coordinated as it appears? This may get interesting...

That's excellent news if you're a Suns fan. Brings it up to a 5% chance that he chooses PHX. ;) Better than the 2-3% chance it was before.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Are there any reports out there that Lebron is even willing to consider and/or talk to the Suns?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are there any reports out there that Lebron is even willing to consider and/or talk to the Suns?

The reports are that LeBron isn't going to talk to anyone personally. He is going to let his agent do all that work and report back to him. He just so happens to share an agent with Bledsoe, so the Suns are talking to his agent anyway. That agent is going to be very busy.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
According to ESPN, these team can offer James a max deal outright:

Heat (54 regular-season wins last year)
Mavericks (49)
Suns (48)
Lakers (27)
Jazz (25)
Magic (23)
76ers (19)

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If memory serves correct, it wasn't Jordan who wanted 1 year deals to keep pressure on the Bulls, it was Jerry Reinsdorf who felt uncomfortable about signing Jordan to 35/mill year deal long term. Remember he also had another team, was it the blackhawks? I think he was losing money.

Reinsdorf didn't want to commit money and lose money unless they were winning championships, plus his other considerations. He probably needed to turn a profit with one team to offset the other, and the only way he'd justify losing money, was winning championships, and not necessarily long term.

So it wasn't Jordan, but Reinsdorf who wanted it like that.

It is sort of amazing that the highest salary of any player in the NBA was in the 1990's, and his name was Michael Jordan. Shaq/Kobe/Lebron never had a salary bigger then Jordan's.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
According to ESPN, these team can offer James a max deal outright:

Heat (54 regular-season wins last year)
Mavericks (49)
Suns (48)
Lakers (27)
Jazz (25)
Magic (23)
76ers (19)

He wants to win, so Philly, Orlando, and the Jazz are out.

The Lakers could be a possibility, but LeBron would have to wonder if Kobe is done and if that story would be a repeat of Wade in Miami. Also, what other players could they put around him.

The Mavericks are intriguing, but that roster is undergoing some changes. Dirk, Chandler, Raymond Felton, Monta Ellis, Brendan Wright. Dirk's age and the medicre roster wouldn't inspire much confidence. I suppose it would be a draw.

This list does not mention Houston, which I would be able to find a way to sign him.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This list does not mention Houston, which I would be able to find a way to sign him.

Yes, I think there are probably a good handful of other teams that could figure out a way to shed the necessary salary if they had to. So the list is longer than just those seven.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If memory serves correct, it wasn't Jordan who wanted 1 year deals to keep pressure on the Bulls, it was Jerry Reinsdorf who felt uncomfortable about signing Jordan to 35/mill year deal long term. Remember he also had another team, was it the blackhawks? I think he was losing money.

Reinsdorf didn't want to commit money and lose money unless they were winning championships, plus his other considerations. He probably needed to turn a profit with one team to offset the other, and the only way he'd justify losing money, was winning championships, and not necessarily long term.

So it wasn't Jordan, but Reinsdorf who wanted it like that.

It is sort of amazing that the highest salary of any player in the NBA was in the 1990's, and his name was Michael Jordan. Shaq/Kobe/Lebron never had a salary bigger then Jordan's.

The Blackhawks have been in the Wirtz family for a long time. Jerry co-owns the United Center with them and owns the White Sox. ;)

And you are thinking of Jerry Krause, he was the one who said players don't win championships. Reinsdorf let Jordan play baseball.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think there are probably a good handful of other teams that could figure out a way to shed the necessary salary if they had to. So the list is longer than just those seven.

If the Suns cannot sign Lebron (which seems likely) they might be able to be a facilitator in trade(s) and be able to get a quality castoff.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I REALLY didn't like the grandstanding of The Decision, but I don't think I had a problem with the players themselves dictating the situation (though I'd have to check my posts). Lebron and Bosh were free agents. In theory, I'd feel just fine working with other professionals in my field to team up at new firm if that was the right opportunity.

That said, I hope The Decision doesn't repeat itself in Phoenix. I don't cheer for the Suns because they are the most expedient way to celebrate a championship (clearly). Cheering for them all these years and then seeing Lebron and Melo/Bosh hoisting the trophy (were they to win) would be pretty weird. It's not much of a story. Nash coming back as a FA was a great story.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns cannot sign Lebron (which seems likely) they might be able to be a facilitator in trade(s) and be able to get a quality castoff.

Yup. I would love to help Houston get LeBron and Melo in exchange for Harden. Maybe we could throw them a few picks just to sweeten the pot.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I REALLY didn't like the grandstanding of The Decision, but I don't think I had a problem with the players themselves dictating the situation (though I'd have to check my posts). Lebron and Bosh were free agents. In theory, I'd feel just fine working with other professionals in my field to team up at new firm if that was the right opportunity.

That said, I hope The Decision doesn't repeat itself in Phoenix. I don't cheer for the Suns because they are the most expedient way to celebrate a championship (clearly). Cheering for them all these years and then seeing Lebron and Melo/Bosh hoisting the trophy (were they to win) would be pretty weird. It's not much of a story. Nash coming back as a FA was a great story.

I think he learned his lesson on that one. Expect this free agency to be as low-key as he can possibly make it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reports are that LeBron isn't going to talk to anyone personally. He is going to let his agent do all that work and report back to him. He just so happens to share an agent with Bledsoe, so the Suns are talking to his agent anyway. That agent is going to be very busy.

Which is game set and match for anybody outside of Miami wanting him. It's all theater. What huge free agent, that was serious about entertaining free agency, would not take part in personal sit downs with a franchise?

If anybody had any doubts....this should put it to rest if true.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I also think Alex Len is a BIG drawing pt. to PHX if you think long-term ...
We don't know if Alex Len's legs are long-term. :shrug:

And he has yet to prove himself. He was our #4 Center last year behind Plumlee, Frye and Markieff. And Frye and Markieff are a pretty motley crew at backup Center.

He is nowhere close to being a drawing point, let alone a BIG drawing point. Until he proves himself, he is a non-entity. Especially if you consider him to be a key in attracting the best-of-the-best.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would disagree that the championship was a fluke. No championship is a fluke.

especially since the season before they were one of the favorites to win the title and had a 3-2 lead in the ECF before Wade busted up his ribs and eventually lost to the Pistons in 7 at home.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
especially since the season before they were one of the favorites to win the title and had a 3-2 lead in the ECF before Wade busted up his ribs and eventually lost to the Pistons in 7 at home.

2005 was much better, shaq could have been mvp in 2005. he was getting outplayed by dampier/diop in first 2 games of finals. He was on his last legs.

2006 team was worst championship team in 20 years i;ve been watching basketball. Their support players were fat antonie walker, white chocalate? Mavs wins that series 9 times out of 10, they just mentally collapsed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is game set and match for anybody outside of Miami wanting him. It's all theater. What huge free agent, that was serious about entertaining free agency, would not take part in personal sit downs with a franchise?

If anybody had any doubts....this should put it to rest if true.

When Lebron, Wade and Bosh out at the same time, it's all been prearranged. There may be some feigned interest by Lebron in another team to make it look legit but it's already been planned except the final details. I wish I were wrong, but Bosh and Wade (especially Wade) doesn't gamble about their future. It is only my opinion... it would nice to be wrong in this matter.

Last edited:

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When Lebron, Wade and Bosh out at the same time, it's all been prearranged. There may be some feigned interest by Lebron in another team to make it look legit but it's already been planned except the final details. I wish I were wrong, but Bosh and Wade (especially Wade) doesn't gamble about their future. It is only my opinion... it would nice to be wrong in this matter.

I think most of us agree. In regards to Lebron letting his agent sift through the offers. That doesn't bother me. He's going to be rushed by teams like WWZ zombies. He doesn't want all the media BS that comes with that. I'm guessing the idea (in the remote chance he is even thinking of anywhere else) is to let his agent bring him the best situations and then they can sit down and decide who to then meet with. It's a pre-screening if you will. Of course if it's true that he wants the max and Bosh wants $15, they won't be building anything special in Miami. That's the only part that has me thinking maybe he is willing to listen. Wade didn't walk away to take a very low salary and with Lebron and Bosh wanting that much, unless Wade is willing to take a small salary they won't have much left to sign quality depth.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake