Lebron Opts Out/Becomes Free Agent

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most of us agree. In regards to Lebron letting his agent sift through the offers. That doesn't bother me. He's going to be rushed by teams like WWZ zombies. He doesn't want all the media BS that comes with that. I'm guessing the idea (in the remote chance he is even thinking of anywhere else) is to let his agent bring him the best situations and then they can sit down and decide who to then meet with. It's a pre-screening if you will. Of course if it's true that he wants the max and Bosh wants $15, they won't be building anything special in Miami. That's the only part that has me thinking maybe he is willing to listen. Wade didn't walk away to take a very low salary and with Lebron and Bosh wanting that much, unless Wade is willing to take a small salary they won't have much left to sign quality depth.

The thing is, Wade had two years left on a $41.8 million contract with Miami. If Lebron leaves, where is Wade going to get any where close to this amount of money unless he takes Wade with him. I do not see Lebron leaving Wade hanging. Bosh can get his money on the open market.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing is, Wade had two years left on a $41.8 million contract with Miami. If Lebron leaves, where is Wade going to get any where close to this amount of money unless he takes Wade with him. I do not see Lebron leaving Wade hanging. Bosh can get his money on the open market.

Agreed, that's why Wade must have a handshake deal with Miami to get that money back. I mean it's shown that paying three guys max money does not leave anything to build a bench. So if Lebron wants max and Bosh wants $15 min. I can't imagine Wade doesn't want $15 too. I just don't see how they can build a team that way. I don't think that team would have made it to the finals 4 years in a row in the West and they are 4 years older. I'm hesitantly starting to think Lebron may move on. Brings Wade... I hope not. Not a smart plan to build a championship quality team paying that guy big dollars.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most of us agree. In regards to Lebron letting his agent sift through the offers. That doesn't bother me. He's going to be rushed by teams like WWZ zombies. He doesn't want all the media BS that comes with that. I'm guessing the idea (in the remote chance he is even thinking of anywhere else) is to let his agent bring him the best situations and then they can sit down and decide who to then meet with. It's a pre-screening if you will. Of course if it's true that he wants the max and Bosh wants $15, they won't be building anything special in Miami. That's the only part that has me thinking maybe he is willing to listen. Wade didn't walk away to take a very low salary and with Lebron and Bosh wanting that much, unless Wade is willing to take a small salary they won't have much left to sign quality depth.

I am willing to wager he meets with NONE. I hope I am wrong but I bet he doesn't. If we had Vbookie on here I would let it ride.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Parker is not top 5 (Curry, Paul, Westbrook, Dragic, Wall) and Kawhi might be #5 behind Lebron, Durant, Carmelo and George.

Bottom line is the Suns would be absolute favorites if they add Lebron and another max or near max player alongside Dragic and Bledsoe.
Depends on what type of role players/support they put around LBJ,Dragic, Bledsoe etc...

Quality guards + LBJ scoring 30 a night won't get it done.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

While I agree it can easily be that, it could also be that he won't want to be in Miami if Lebron leaves.

He won't make nearly as much money, but he can still make a ton of money somewhere, and might actually enjoy the rest of his career. If Lebron leaves, no one on the heat will enjoy the next few seasons.

To me, and it's just a guess, I feel that there is simply been too many bad signals coming from both sides to say it's a slam dunk. The owner, the GM, the lack of talent around him compared to a number of teams he could go to now, and the uncoordinated mess the whole situation is.

The fact Lebron let everyone know he opted out before the draft giving every team time to make moves and formulate a plan was not necessary if he planned on most likely staying.

True they met, but it was AFTER Lebron had already opted out. At that point he may have told him he was likely to leave, and that their best professional move might be to move as well (to the team he's going or another one).

Based on this I think many teams have a legitimate shot at him. If Miami keeps him/them, I see it more because they lucked into it, not because they did anything to deserve so, besides getting Napier. Perhaps familiarity with being in Miami and all it would mean to move might play a bigger role then anything the Heat have done. Even the tweet about Napier said nothing about welcoming to the team, or that he'll take him under his wing, or anything like that. The tweet was very neutral, just stating he was his favorite player in the draft.

If Lebron is leaning towards Miami, there would be nothing wrong in stating he'll take him under his wing. Since he didn't, it may indeed indicate he is serious about leaving or at least looking at his options. Most people seem to agree that professionally other clubs have the edge in overall better options.

It would look weird if he said he'll take him under his wing and then leave, and I simply don't understand why he seems to be taking all these precautions, and all these moves alone and first, if he genuinely thinks he's going to stay.

If this was a poker hand, he's playing it perfect, and maybe he is. I just don't see the point of why he would need to play it that way, unless he is simply trying to exert max pressure to get what he wants, because he feels the need to, but again, since everyone else is going to try to give Lebron what he wants, and if he's afraid Miami won't, that would just be another reason to leave. If he has to at this point play this game, why stay? Were ownership, GM, fellow players all scoffing early on? One would think just opting out would be enough to scare them, why all this other stuff?

Where there is smoke, there's generally fire, and I really think there's plenty of example of potential smoke. Perhaps they put it out and everything is fine, perhaps even the meeting put out the fire, but I see somewhere around a dozen instances of smoke, and perhaps only one thing possibly negating that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on what type of role players/support they put around LBJ,Dragic, Bledsoe etc...

Second time you've said something like this. Did you watch the Suns when they were healthy last year at all? I'd take our starting lineup with Lebron over Miami's starting lineup with Lebron by far. And our bench is loaded compared to Miami's bench. We don't have a single player that should be expected to decline (although it's possible that we had a couple players with career seasons).

I think we have reason to expect improvement from probably ever single player other than Dragic, Green and maybe Tucker. I don't see how adding Lebron to our team doesn't make us the favorite to win it all. I think our chances of getting Lebron are close to nil but I'd love our chances to win it with him.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I agree it can easily be that, it could also be that he won't want to be in Miami if Lebron leaves.

He won't make nearly as much money, but he can still make a ton of money somewhere, and might actually enjoy the rest of his career. If Lebron leaves, no one on the heat will enjoy the next few seasons.

To me, and it's just a guess, I feel that there is simply been too many bad signals coming from both sides to say it's a slam dunk. The owner, the GM, the lack of talent around him compared to a number of teams he could go to now, and the uncoordinated mess the whole situation is.

The fact Lebron let everyone know he opted out before the draft giving every team time to make moves and formulate a plan was not necessary if he planned on most likely staying.

True they met, but it was AFTER Lebron had already opted out. At that point he may have told him he was likely to leave, and that their best professional move might be to move as well (to the team he's going or another one).

Based on this I think many teams have a legitimate shot at him. If Miami keeps him/them, I see it more because they lucked into it, not because they did anything to deserve so, besides getting Napier. Perhaps familiarity with being in Miami and all it would mean to move might play a bigger role then anything the Heat have done. Even the tweet about Napier said nothing about welcoming to the team, or that he'll take him under his wing, or anything like that. The tweet was very neutral, just stating he was his favorite player in the draft.

If Lebron is leaning towards Miami, there would be nothing wrong in stating he'll take him under his wing. Since he didn't, it may indeed indicate he is serious about leaving or at least looking at his options. Most people seem to agree that professionally other clubs have the edge in overall better options.

It would look weird if he said he'll take him under his wing and then leave, and I simply don't understand why he seems to be taking all these precautions, and all these moves alone and first, if he genuinely thinks he's going to stay.

If this was a poker hand, he's playing it perfect, and maybe he is. I just don't see the point of why he would need to play it that way, unless he is simply trying to exert max pressure to get what he wants, because he feels the need to, but again, since everyone else is going to try to give Lebron what he wants, and if he's afraid Miami won't, that would just be another reason to leave. If he has to at this point play this game, why stay? Were ownership, GM, fellow players all scoffing early on? One would think just opting out would be enough to scare them, why all this other stuff?

Where there is smoke, there's generally fire, and I really think there's plenty of example of potential smoke. Perhaps they put it out and everything is fine, perhaps even the meeting put out the fire, but I see somewhere around a dozen instances of smoke, and perhaps only one thing possibly negating that.

I just do not see Lebron, Wade and Bosh opting out at the same time to leave Miami hanging.

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score

Don't overthink this. if Lebron comes here, we would be the favorites to win it all ...

I'm starting to think I watched a different season than some of you guys - The Suns won 48 games ! .... And competed against EVERY top team in the league - They either beat them, or barely lost to them ; The Suns were not one of those teams that beat down the bad teams, but couldn't match up against the good teams ... All w/ a frontline of Frye / Kief / Plumlee (not even including Len, who could step up this year)

You think adding Lebron James to the same team from last year won't make us the favorites?

That's not even considering that virtually every single player on the roster is in their prime (so will be as good as last year) or young (so will improve from last year) ... And also not even considering that we can sign a guy like Pau Gasol to come here ... And also not even considering all our 1st rounders which can be used for trade ... And not even considering our coach ... etc., etc.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Second time you've said something like this. Did you watch the Suns when they were healthy last year at all? I'd take our starting lineup with Lebron over Miami's starting lineup with Lebron by far. And our bench is loaded compared to Miami's bench. We don't have a single player that should be expected to decline (although it's possible that we had a couple players with career seasons).

I think we have reason to expect improvement from probably ever single player other than Dragic, Green and maybe Tucker. I don't see how adding Lebron to our team doesn't make us the favorite to win it all. I think our chances of getting Lebron are close to nil but I'd love our chances to win it with him.

Steve
So what your saying is adding LBJ to the current roster and making little to no changes elsewhere makes the Suns the favorite to win it all? I just want to make sure of your stance on this before i comment again.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what your saying is adding LBJ to the current roster and making little to no changes elsewhere makes the Suns the favorite to win it all? I just want to make sure of your stance on this before i comment again.

Yes. Absolutely. Without a doubt. Adding Lebron to last year's roster would likely make us the favorite to win it all.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched a handful of games last season, and i was impressed for the most part. Mostly due to Hornacek's coaching and managing the tempo.

It was a good team when healthy and it's reasonable to expect improvement from within that group. I'd still like to add a backup big that could make players like Cousins and Gasol work for their points but every team has flaws. That team, with Lebron, would create a lot of problems for opponents.

Steve

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Absolutely. Without a doubt. Adding Lebron to last year's roster would likely make us the favorite to win it all.

Steve

In the West?!? I don't know. I think we need someone higher caliber than Bledsoe as our #2.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Take Lebron off of the Heat and ask yourself who has a better record last year, Phoenix or Miami. Keep in mind Miami managed to win only 54 games with Lebron while we won 48 without him. My guess is adding Lebron to our roster would be good for at least another 6 wins to match Miami's output last season. Miami was the favorite to win it all prior to the season starting.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Steve
Absolutely . . . Without a doubt . . . the favorite to win it all.

Are you saying that tongue-in-cheek, Steve?

And are you taking health conditions into account? Bledsoe. Len. Or is it conditional on them reaching the point of being 100% healthy?

Not to mention that Len has yet to be part of the rotation and might need years to develop. The same with Goodwin.

LBJ could pull still another gypsy routine before the Suns supporting cast is championship calibre. In the words of Cher . . .

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely . . . Without a doubt . . . the favorite to win it all.

Are you saying that tongue-in-cheek, Steve?

And are you taking health conditions into account? Bledsoe. Len. Or is it conditional on them reaching the point of being 100% healthy?

Not to mention that Len has yet to be part of the rotation and might need years to develop. The same with Goodwin.

LBJ could pull still another gypsy routine before the Suns supporting cast is championship calibre.

Not at all. In fact, I should have included "unequivocally" so as to remove all doubt. The favorite to win it all. Not a lock, just the favorite. Miami was the favorite in 2013. Yes, health could derail us. That applies to every team. I think this team will be noticeably improved in 2014 without Lebron even assuming we miss Bledsoe or Dragic for half a season. I doubt that Len will have much of an impact but I expect more consistency from Eric, Markieff, Channing and Miles. Add Lebron, Warren and Ennis to that group and I really like our chances.

Steve

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Steve
Who's going to guard the rim, defend the post and rebound? Plumlee and Frye?
I don't see it.

IMO we'd need more upfront. I don't think it'd be hard to plug those holes though...especially with LBJ on board.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't see it.

IMO we'd need more upfront. I don't think it'd be hard to plug those holes though...especially with LBJ on board.

Who rebounded and defended the rim for Miami when they won their titles?

Bosh? Birdman? Joel Anthony?

Plumlee is capable of being a much better shot blocker & rim protector than any of those guys.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see it.

I simply don't see it. That doesn't mean that with LeBron the Suns are not a instant playoff thread. I just don't see us with this roster getting past San Antonio or Oklahoma City. I think our roster of guys snuck up on people last year which won't happen again this season. People are overvaluing our guys I think.

No way LeBron means title unless we pulled in another high profile player to play alongside of him. Having said that, our bench would be rounded out assuming we don't have to get rid of a bunch of guys to bring in that second player.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It is interesting that, at this time, 56% of Suns fans who voted in the Poll thread chose the lowest of five categories regarding the chances of LeBron choosing Phoenix. 56% of us have voted for "Less than 5%" chance.

My vote for "Less than 5%" was not just a prediction. It was a hope.

LeBron James is a basketball ****. I don't want him here.

Let's build a balanced team around free agency and trades . . . and more significant draft choices than 2014.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is interesting that, at this time, 56% of Suns fans who voted in the Poll thread chose the lowest of five categories regarding the chances of LeBron choosing Phoenix. 56% of us have voted for "Less than 5%" chance.

Let's build a balanced team around free agency and trades . . . and more significant draft choices than 2014.

HUH?!?!? Two teams makes him a ****? Putting himself in the best situation to win a title makes him a ****?

Hell...I wish some of my girlfriends before I was married had such a stellar track record.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Who rebounded and defended the rim for Miami when they won their titles?

Bosh? Birdman? Joel Anthony?

Plumlee is capable of being a much better shot blocker & rim protector than any of those guys.
Those guys are experienced, veteran frontline guys. The type of guys i'm talking about.
I agree that Plumlee could very easily develop into "that guy" but we're talking about win it now and i just don't see enough up front right now to dominate in a long playoff series.

Someone told me not to overthink this...well i'm reading things like comparing our record to Miami and removing the LBJ factor etc...you guys all know that the 82 gm sprint is a different animal compared to the playoffs, so comparing reg season records is a moot point for me.
Sorry but i've never been a big believer in dominant backcourts being the key to deep playoff runs.

I'm not overthinking anything...i'm thinking ahead. :)

LBJ and what we've got now up front isn't enough. I really hope we get a chance to find out. I'm looking forward to this season, but the draft was a disappointment for me. I hope Hornacek coaches here the next 20 years and gets what he needs to take this team to the next level.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

You've got to be joking. I don't like the guy either, but there's no denying he is an amazing talent that would immediately make this team better and perhaps a true contender.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake