Leinart signs!!! (merged)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
I put this in another thread but.

Conceivably Condon and Graves both might not have even heard Greens comments before a deal was struck. The deal was struck most likely hours ago becuase this stuff has to go through both sides legal departments before they agreed on it, Deals arent struck then bam they are on the news it takes time before it is released. I would believe that the deal was probably struck at about Noon or so and Greens interview was at about that time as well, and Graves and Condon were most likely in a meeting the whole time during the interview making finishing details. That would be some pretty funny timing.
It's being written right now (leinart hasn't actually signed yet), so I think they both heard him.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

Conceivably Condon and Graves both might not have even heard Greens comments before a deal was struck. The deal was struck most likely hours ago becuase this stuff has to go through both sides legal departments before they agreed on it, Deals arent struck then bam they are on the news it takes time before it is released. I would believe that the deal was probably struck at about Noon or so and Greens interview was at about that time as well, and Graves and Condon were most likely in a meeting the whole time during the interview making finishing details. That would be some pretty funny timing.

I don't think so, the deal isn't even signed yet just agreed to in principle, that means they knew most of the deal but something held it up, since it isn't signed yet it still has to go through that process, which means it wasn't done at all when you are suggesting.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
:D
Pariah said:
Seriously. I guess being well-liked isn't high on K9's "how to be lonely" checklist.
:lmao:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

Conceivably Condon and Graves both might not have even heard Greens comments before a deal was struck. The deal was struck most likely hours ago becuase this stuff has to go through both sides legal departments before they agreed on it, Deals arent struck then bam they are on the news it takes time before it is released. I would believe that the deal was probably struck at about Noon or so and Greens interview was at about that time as well and then it takes time before Greens interview is released, and Graves and Condon were most likely in a meeting the whole time during the interview making finishing details. That would be some pretty funny timing.

I doubt that it took "hours". They've had most of the details in place for many days. It sounds like one or two changes caused the compromise.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
All I'm wondering is will he have his press conference as he is taped up to a goalpost (ala Patrick Ramsey a few years ago)

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
All I'm wondering is will he have his press conference as he is taped up to a goalpost (ala Patrick Ramsey a few years ago)

No rookie is immune, sounds fair to me.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Pariah said:
It's being written right now (leinart hasn't actually signed yet), so I think they both heard him.

Matt has to be there to sign it. So that doesnt really matter. if the contract is agreed upon its agreed opun and already went through both sides legal departments, condon wouldnt release the info unless it had.

I stand by my position that this deal was done a while ago earlier today. Again it takes hours for a deal to go through a legal department before news is released that it is a done deal. And Greens interview wasnt released by the media until 1 PM today. I doubt Greens comments could have speed up negotiations so fast that they negotiated a deal, went through both sides legal departments, then got to the media within a 6 hours time span. Not saying it could but I find it highly doubtful, just not how things work.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Matt has to be there to sign it. So that doesnt really matter. if the contract is agreed upon its agreed opun and already went through both sides legal departments, condon wouldnt release the info unless it had.

I stand by my position that this deal was done a while ago earlier today. Again it takes hours for a deal to go through a legal department before news is released that it is a done deal. And Greens interview wasnt released by the media until 1 PM today. I doubt Greens comments could have speed up negotiations so fast that they negotiated a deal, went through both sides legal departments, then got to the media within a 6 hours time span. Not saying it could but I find it highly doubtful, just not how things work.

You'd be standing in the wrong spot but go ahead it's a free country.

Burg72

Registered
Reaction score
Red Hawk said:
Dang,:sad: I break the news on the board and red desert gets the sticky.:)

I give you your props since I heard it from you first.

:notworthy

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Chris Mortenson is reporting that the deal was completed when the Cardinals removed a hurdle regarding playing time escalators in the fourth season.

I'll be accepting apologies from everyone who said that this was Condon's fault on "The Official Apologies to Kerouac9 Thread".

Of course they had to remove it, they wanted to get him signed and Leinart was being a greedy freaking rookie who doesn't deserve the money he's getting, yet somehow gets it anyways.

THese players are a joke...just sign and be happy you're in the NFL. You were the 10th pick for crying out loud.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2549668
And then there were none.

Quarterback Matt Leinart, the former Southern California star and the 10th overall selection in the 2006 draft, on Monday night reached an agreement with the Arizona Cardinals on a six-year contract that ESPN.com has learned includes a maximum value of $50.8 million.
Leinart becomes the last of the 255 prospects chosen this year to agree to terms, and the accord will end his two-week absence from training camp.

The basic six-year deal averages about $6.75 million per season and includes $14 million in guarantees. The value of the contract, negotiated by agents Tom Condon and Ken Kremer of CAA, will increase if Leinart reaches predetermined playing time levels that will then trigger so-called escalators in the latter years of the deal.

In fact, it was a battle over escalators that stalled the progress in negotiations, even as late as Monday afternoon. Only a few hours before the agreement, both sides appeared solid in their respective stances, and it appeared the talks might break off. Clearly, there was plenty of high-stakes bargaining Monday evening.

In the end, Cardinals officials agreed to an escalator package similar to the one featured in the contract of Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Byron Leftwich, a first-round choice in the 2003 draft. That contract, also negotiated by Condon and Kremer, stipulates that the escalators were triggered if Leftwich participated in 55 percent of the Jaguars' offensive snaps for two seasons, or 70 percent of the snaps in one season.
Under the Arizona proposal sent to Condon on Sunday, Leinart could have played every snap in his first three seasons, been injured in his fourth year and unable to play, and would not have realized any of the escalators in the deal. That proposal would have made the escalator thresholds the most difficult to reach of any quarterback chosen in the top 10 since 1993.

Escalators are critical in any first-round contract, but particularly for quarterbacks, because they reward the player for becoming a starter.
The deal on Monday evening came after nearly a full a week of inertia in which the two sides did not engage in substantive negotiations. Leinart's representatives had agreed nearly a week ago to accept the six-year contract, the maximum term allowed for a player chosen in the top half of the first round, even though they preferred a five-year deal.

It is believed that the Cardinals made about three to four different proposals to Leinart before altering their stance with a Sunday offer that got the two sides talking again.

The 2004 Heisman Trophy winner, Leinart, who posted a brilliant 37-2 record as the USC starter, is now expected to battle two-year veteran John Navarre for the backup job behind starter Kurt Warner. Navarre threw a pair of interceptions in Saturday's preseason opener. The consensus is that the Cardinals chose Leinart to groom him as the team's quarterback of the future.

During his celebrated college career, Leinart completed 807 of 1,245 passes for 10,693 yards, with 99 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions. It is expected that Leinart will report to camp as quickly as possible. He had been in the Phoenix area two weeks ago, just before the Cardinals reported for camp, and was throwing with his new teammates. But when the talks broke down, and camp opened without him, Leinart returned to Los Angeles.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
I don't think so, the deal isn't even signed yet just agreed to in principle, that means they knew most of the deal but something held it up, since it isn't signed yet it still has to go through that process, which means it wasn't done at all when you are suggesting.

Agents are not going to say its a done deal unless it has gone through that process. Agents are not dumb, and will only say its a done deal to the media and even give details of the deal if it is a done deal and gone through the legal department. If they release something only to go back to find a snag somewhere that agent would look like a complete idiot. It is a done deal and has gone through the legal process.

The only reason it isnt signed is becuase Matt isnt there to sign it. signing it is only a formality.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I doubt that it took "hours". They've had most of the details in place for many days. It sounds like one or two changes caused the compromise.

I that could easily be the case.

I only said it was conceivable.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thank God - now I can get back to my life. Been fun guys! Now let's see that O-line gel just the tiniest bit to give us SOME semblance of a running game this season!

Burg72

Registered
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
thank God - now I can get back to my life. Been fun guys! Now let's see that O-line gel just the tiniest bit to give us SOME semblance of a running game this season!

Me too. Enough of checking my cell phone, radio, and this website every 5 minutes throughout the day.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bobcat, you got some apologizing to do. Lienart gets a slotted contract.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I can finally goto my regular scheduled programming.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
The only reason it isnt signed is becuase Matt isnt there to sign it. signing it is only a formality.
That's not what Mort said. He said that unless they got hung up by the language, Matt would be in camp tomorrow.

That tells me the language isn't written.

:shrug:

But I'm just going to say that and then drop it. It's a mute point.

Burg72

Registered
Reaction score
Pariah said:
That's not what Mort said. He said that unless they got hung up by the language, Matt would be in camp tomorrow.

That tells me the language isn't written.

:shrug:

But I'm just going to say that and then drop it. It's a mute point.

He also said it was very unlikely that it would get hung up. He said it was official.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HEY EVERYONE, LETS FIND SOMTHING ELSE TO ARGUE ABOUT NOW THAT HE SIGNED!!!

" HEY shut up PUNK, THE DEAL WAS DONE BEFORE THE CONFERENCE"

"NA UH"

Shut the hell up

Last edited:

bigredjane

& amp; quot ;Car d s Crazy
Reaction score
Welcome-

We now have too of the most beautiful and talented QB's in the NFL!!

Attachments

• 90641b4d-a743-4042-880a-65279b53b54b.jpg
    90641b4d-a743-4042-880a-65279b53b54b.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 186

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRedRage said:
HEY EVERYONE, LETS FIND SOMTHING ELSE TO ARGUE ABOUT NOW THAT HE SIGNED!!!

" HEY F U PUNK, THE DEAL WAS DONE BEFORE THE CONFERENCE"

"NA UH"

Shut the hell up
Easy, killer. It's a fairly civil conversation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05