Lorenzon Alexander and Jasper Brinkley's contract numbers per Jurecki

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Links? I ask because I never read anything like that and I thought I read almost everything about the situation (Jurecki, Somers, Urban, twitter, articles).

Not saying you are wrong, just saying I thought I was pretty up on the situation and I never read/heard that.

Later tonight I will post links. On the bus to class at the moment.

I stand corrected. Someone has changed the space-time continuum, and erased all record of what I thought I knew from the interwebs.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I have no problems at all with Rhodes and Wilson being let go.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I would have preferred that Rhodes sign an extension and lower his 2013 cap number. The Cardinals and Rhodes could not reach an agreement to do that, so he got released. Plenty of other good players from other teams faced the same fate.

The market isn't paying $6 million a year even for above average safeties. Adrian Wilson is getting roughly $1.5 million per year. Ed Reed perhaps $4 million on a two-year deal. Even at his age, Reed is a better player than Rhodes IMO.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do, but not a big problem:

More one of entering the unknown.

IMO we had put together the best defensive 11 in franchise history. (It wasn't perfect, but it was better than any I can recall). In other words, the status quo was pretty darned good, so why mess with it?

Will the tandem of Bell and Rashad Johnson be as good or better than A-Dub and Kerry (backed up by Rashad)? Doubtful, but possible.

What about Powers and Cason in place of Gay and Toler? Although not a slam dunk, the case could be made that it will be a net-plus.

Enough of a net-plus to counter any net-loss at safety? Ah hah! We won't know until the real bullets fly.

Add Bowles for Horton and what we logically can conclude is that what could have been a pretty good stable situation is now at mild risk. That's a bit unsettling.i

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First of all ADub is almost 2 years younger than Bell. Both Reed and ADub have been perinial pro-bowlers for most of their careers and Bell has been to 1 pro-bowl, but it was only like 2 years ago. My point is that name recognition alone is going to get those guys more money than Bell and they are both younger. ADub likely has a better deal than Reed because his more than a year younger thus he likely has a little more time before he becomes completely useless on the field.

???

Wilson got $5M over three years in New England with a $1M bonus. In truth, it's a one year $2M dollar deal. Reed is expecting multi-years in the $4M range, at last report.

As for Rhodes, I can certainly understand why he would have been amenable to playing out the last year of his contract at $6M, particularly given the market out there for safeties. However, as the new Cards FO looks to the future, I can see why they would balk at this; seek a new longer term deal at a lower CAP hit, and failing this cut the string.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We dropped at least five 30 pluses and gained one...

Adrian Wilson, Kerry Rhodes and ???.

My point is, and has always been, why get worse at the S position in 2013when your only real benefit is 2013 cap savings, and does not really change your cap or roster situation in 2014?

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

My response is why? What is the purpose of releasing Rhodes, which does nothing for your cap situation in 2014, and replaacing him with an inferior player? Especially when you had other players who you released which took care of the cap issues you had in 2013.

Also, regarding Adrian Wilson, you downgrade in production to only slightly improve your 2014 cap situation. Why? To re-sign Rashad Johnson, who has one really productive year in his entire career, to a 3 year deal with a base salary under 2 mil in every year?

I fail to see the benefit of both of these moves except to just turn over the roster, sign cheaper players, and put more money in Bidwill's coffers.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score

My point is, and has always been, why get worse at the S position in 2013when your only real benefit is 2013 cap savings, and does not really change your cap or roster situation in 2014?

I wonder how long the guaranteed money from those cut will remain as dead money against the cap. If it's just this year, then it makes sense to accelerate the process so that no dead money effects the salary cap for 2014, and beyond, for players that aren't considered valuable enough to project into the team's future plans.

Rhodes being cut looks like a short term move to free up cash for this year, while guys like Wilson, Kolb, Stewart, et al, seem to be more about next year (aside from the fact that they weren't playing up to their contract numbers to begin with.)

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Five 30 pluses from the defence writ large.

And the FO's position is why pay someone $6M on a one year deal in this market?

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Five 30 pluses from the defence writ large.

And the FO's position is why pay someone $6M on a one year deal in this market?

and I am ok with that thinking if you then add a better player for less or the same money. Instead we signed an older, less talented player. Why? Offsetting 2013 dead money just benefits the owner, not the team. The move did nothing for the 2014 cap.

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
It looks to me based on Overthecap numbers that we are at a cap number of $111.8M not counting Jasper Bradly yet, so about $114M with him. Add in the rookies and we're at $119M or so. We may still sign Cribbs, that's put us over $120M. Keeping Rhodes at $6M just wasn't in their cap plan. I think if they could have reworked him they would have, but they wanted to have cap space to work in.

I hope we sign a rookie guard and do something like cut Snyder and eat his $4M dead money this year if we have the space left.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I wonder how long the guaranteed money from those cut will remain as dead money against the cap. If it's just this year, then it makes sense to accelerate the process so that no dead money effects the salary cap for 2014, and beyond, for players that aren't considered valuable enough to project into the team's future plans.

Rhodes being cut looks like a short term move to free up cash for this year, while guys like Wilson, Kolb, Stewart, et al, seem to be more about next year (aside from the fact that they weren't playing up to their contract numbers to begin with.)

Well all of these moves improve the cap situation in 2013, but only some improve it in 2014. The dead money of those cut this year will only apply to this year, which is why the cuts of Kolb and Bradley make a ton of sense.

Again, my issue is we cut two players in Rhodes and Wilson for cap flexibility in 2013, but then signed players that made those moves unnecessary with the money we saved by cutting other players.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It looks to me based on Overthecap numbers that we are at a cap number of $111.8M not counting Jasper Bradly yet, so about $114M with him. Add in the rookies and we're at $119M or so. We may still sign Cribbs, that's put us over $120M. Keeping Rhodes at $6M just wasn't in their cap plan. I think if they could have reworked him they would have, but they wanted to have cap space to work in.

I hope we sign a rookie guard and do something like cut Snyder and eat his $4M dead money this year if we have the space left.

Not saying you are wrong, but if we are paying a two-down SILB like Jasper Brinkley 3 mil this year, that is a stupid deal.

Maybe keeping BOTH Wilson and Rhodes wasn't feasible, but we had/have the room to keep at least one of them and chose not to.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
and I am ok with that thinking if you then add a better player for less or the same money. Instead we signed an older, less talented player. Why? Offsetting 2013 dead money just benefits the owner, not the team. The move did nothing for the 2014 cap.

Agree that cutting Rhodes is strictly a 2013 CAP issue. As for the position, I'm still of a mind that either through FA or the draft the final makeup of our safety tandem is yet to be determined.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My response is why? What is the purpose of releasing Rhodes, which does nothing for your cap situation in 2014, and replaacing him with an inferior player? Especially when you had other players who you released which took care of the cap issues you had in 2013.

Also, regarding Adrian Wilson, you downgrade in production to only slightly improve your 2014 cap situation. Why? To re-sign Rashad Johnson, who has one really productive year in his entire career, to a 3 year deal with a base salary under 2 mil in every year?

I fail to see the benefit of both of these moves except to just turn over the roster, sign cheaper players, and put more money in Bidwill's coffers.

jurecki or someone said he didnt want to be here. Thats all I need to hear.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not saying you are wrong, but if we are paying a two-down SILB like Jasper Brinkley 3 mil this year, that is a stupid deal.

Maybe keeping BOTH Wilson and Rhodes wasn't feasible, but we had/have the room to keep at least one of them and chose not to.

We seem to be the one's who describe him as 2 down ILB and I don't know whether that will change somewhat now that he's playing in a 3-4. Some of the better known 3-4 ILB's don't play in all packages.

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score

I agree - I tend to think we could have kept Wilson, he might have even been willing to rework his contract a bit. I'm not sure what the FO thoughts on that move were unless they just wanted to move on from him in general.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

If we really pay Josh Cribbs' bad knee $1M this year, then we're making a huge error. Guy should be coming in on a one-year contract for the veteran minimum with a five-figure signing bonus.

We seem to be the one's who describe him as 2 down ILB and I don't know whether that will change somewhat now that he's playing in a 3-4. Some of the better known 3-4 ILB's don't play in all packages.

Then you're in the same conversation that we were having with Wilson. Why pay for a guy who's not an every-down player?

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we really pay Josh Cribbs' bad knee $1M this year, then we're making a huge error. Guy should be coming in on a one-year contract for the veteran minimum with a five-figure signing bonus.
Veteran minimum for a 9th year guy is $840k plus a 5 figure signing bonus, im guessing it would be $50k+, so just under a million for the year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Veteran minimum for a 9th year guy is $840k plus a 5 figure signing bonus, im guessing it would be $50k+, so just under a million for the year.

Maybe, but for cap purposes, I believe that veteran minimum salaries only account for like $600K.

I'll add in that (1) all 7 rookies probably aren't going to make the final roster, and (2) each rookie signing is going to push someone off the "rule of 51", so the rookie cap isn't going to matter all that much.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I describe him as a two down linebacker because that is what he was in Minnesota which I know because I watched him play there. He is one of the worst LBs IN THE NFL in coverage. Poor feel for zones and can't keep up with backs and TEs. I have seen it in real life.

So, AGAIN, if we are paying a two-down SILB like Jasper Brinkley 3 mil this year, that is a stupid deal.

And I know he is a two down SILB because I saw him fail as 3 down 4-3 MLB in Minnesota. I watch more football than just the the Cardinals. Not saying you don't, but I don't generate strong opinions on players until I have watched them extensively. In this case thanks to a friend who is a die hard Vikings fan and some Sat SEC Gamecock football.