Marcus Banks Has Officially Signed w/the Suns!!!!!!

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
edit: Thanks for changing the topic title! :)

It's official now:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0719suns0719.html

Banks to sign with Suns for 5 years, $21 million

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 19, 2006 12:00 AM

Marcus Banks and his family threw a surprise birthday party for his mother Saturday under the guise that she had to attend a meeting with a prospective NBA team.

He topped that surprise this week when the Las Vegas native firmed up plans to play closer to home with the Suns. Banks, who arrived in the Valley on Tuesday night, came to terms with the Suns on a five-year contract worth about $21 million. The deal could be official as soon as Thursday.

"We're honored to be with the Suns and a hop, skip and a jump away," his father, Arthur, said. "We really feel like it's an ideal fit with the Suns' style. Marcus is so ecstatic about it."
advertisement

After nabbing only Eric Piatkowski in the first week of free agency, the Suns took care of their summer priority to find point guard relief for Steve Nash. Banks, 24, addresses what Phoenix tried to get earlier this month in Lindsey Hunter and then some.

With a strong 6-foot-2 frame, Banks is a noted defender but is far better offensively than Hunter and keeps the Suns younger.

Able to back up or team with Nash, Banks may challenge Leandro Barbosa as the team's quickest penetrator.

Any character concerns were wiped out by checks and a Monday dinner Banks had with coach Mike D'Antoni. Banks plays in Las Vegas in the summers with Shawn Marion, another former Runnin' Rebel.

"It could be really effective," Banks' agent, Michael Higgins, said. "He really likes D'Antoni. He told me he'd be thrilled just to learn from Steve Nash."

Banks was a backup for 2 1/2 seasons in Boston before being traded last season to Minnesota

Banks' addition would give the Suns 11 players under contract and make the possibility of Eddie House's return doubtful.

Love the signing!

Last edited:

Kolo

Reaction score
Gambo said Suns inquired about Duhon, but Chicago said no. Contract issues that led Suns to think Banks not availabe are related to Bird Rights, Minnesota unsuccessfully petitioned league to attain Bird Rights on Banks (Boston didn't tender rookie contract extension, so they lost them, and that carried over when Banks traded to Timberwolves).

Also, Houston offered full MLE to Banks, but Banks chose Suns' lighter offer.

Whether the Suns' "we liked him better than Salmons all along" line is genuine, who knows.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I would be VERY happy if this went through. What a great signing this would be!

Nash/Banks
Bell/Barbosa/Piatkowski
Marion/Jones
Stoudemire/Diaw
Thomas/Burke

Still need some reliable help up front, but the backcourt is versatile and deep....

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anything that pushes Piatkowski further down the bench is fine with me

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The 2003 draft looks to have been very fruitful..... especially for the Suns

just do it

Registered
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:

Nash/Banks/Piatkowski
Bell/Barbosa
Marion/Jones
Stoudemire/Diaw
Thomas/Burke

Still need some reliable help up front, but the backcourt is versatile and deep....

Why do people still list Thomas as a starter, I doubt he will see much playing time if not moved before the season starts. And you might as well put Lampe in place of Burke on your list.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:

Nash/Banks/Piatkowski
Bell/Barbosa
Marion/Jones
Stoudemire/Diaw
Thomas/Burke

You have 6'7", no wheels Piatkowski listed as a point guard... ?

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
If this deal went through, and we somehow added Gooden. My gripes this off-season would be erased, and in my opinion we would not only be a better team this coming season, but for years to come. Banks and Gooden are both young and could possibly be huge assets for this team in the future.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
I am a big fan of this deal. That's a lot of money for a backup point, but it also makes the loss of LB a bit more palatable if he wants too much cash in the offseason. Bring in Gooden (and Lampe :)) and call it an offseason.

asudevil83

Reaction score
BleedRed said:
If this deal went through, and we somehow added Gooden. My gripes this off-season would be erased, and in my opinion we would not only be a better team this coming season, but for years to come. Banks and Gooden are both young and could possibly be huge assets for this team in the future.

i would say that gooden would be a great addition to this team. but i know how some of you feel about him. in the long term, he would help out a lot, but it would most likely lead to the departure of Marion in a year or two....unless we were to run off with a couple of championships.

i like the idea of banks though.

what we really need is another able-bodied big man in addtion to what we have now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Even though we are talking extensions with Diaw and LB, if we DON'T extend LB, he'll be a restricted free agent next summer, not unrestricted, right? If that's the case, we may have him for the next 2 years at a lower rate, assuming he doesn't sign an offer sheet next summer for something substantially more. Everyone loves sign and trades, perhaps LB's value is higher in that instance...?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Even though we are talking extensions with Diaw and LB, if we DON'T extend LB, he'll be a restricted free agent next summer, not unrestricted, right? If that's the case, we may have him for the next 2 years at a lower rate, assuming he doesn't sign an offer sheet next summer for something substantially more. Everyone loves sign and trades, perhaps LB's value is higher in that instance...?

exactly right. I think Leo goes on teh backburner now, especially if we'[re signing Banks for 5 years. I think Barbs COULD demand A LOT of money next year as a RFA, but will DEFINITELY be a huge commodity as a FA. I'm thinking (assumign we sign Boris to an extension this summer (and we freaking better)) that up against the luxury tax next year, with Banks firmly entrenched as the backup PG, Barbs most likely gets a sign and trade deal to add picks or another big man, or some combo of Barbs and picks to continue building the team while contending at the same time.

JUst can't have two guys at 6'2 making a combined 10-13 million dollars. We'll be stacked at G this season, which is great, but Leo and those picks could be the way we continue to stay on top as Nash gets older and we can rebuild on the run to maintain a 10 year stretch with Amare as the centerpiece.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
scoutmasterdave said:
You have 6'7", no wheels Piatkowski listed as a point guard... ?

You know what? I am getting Piatkowski mixed up with Hoiberg, who played the point, but probably more SG. So, I'll change that post....

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Wally said:
Do we really need two threads on the same subject?

I thought that it was thread worthy, as we finally have "official" word. Mods, please feel free to merge this if needed.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
JUst can't have two guys at 6'2 making a combined 10-13 million dollars. We'll be stacked at G this season, which is great, but Leo and those picks could be the way we continue to stay on top as Nash gets older and we can rebuild on the run to maintain a 10 year stretch with Amare as the centerpiece.

Assuming we get Banks, and for some reason, LB is shipped out next summer (I'd prefer he stayed, regardless of his size), then our plan next summer should be simple:

1) We shouldn't let LB go for nothing. Maybe sign-and-trade for a servicable (AKA bigger) SG and maybe an end of the bench big man. Of course, if we DO let Barbosa go to another team as a restricted FA for nothing, that might mean no need to trade Marion away, even if we still have Kurt Thomas.

2) The Atlanta Pick MUST be a big man (assuming we get it). Next year's draft is top heavy with big men. The other two could be a SG and a Swingman/SF. Taken as a whole, that's not a bad setup assuming everything else stays equal. (I'll add Lampe as a stopgap for this season, perhaps carrying into next season as well)

PG: Nash/Banks
SG: Raja/SG for LB/Draft pick
SF: Marion/Pike/Draft pick
PF: Amare/Draft pick/Lampe
C: Diaw/KT/C for LB

That's 14 players right there. Of course, it probably will NOT turn out that way, but it is interesting to speculate.

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
BleedRed said:

Banks and Gooden would be a fantasy offseason for me. However, Gooden may be asking for too much money, IMO.

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
exactly right. I think Leo goes on teh backburner now, especially if we'[re signing Banks for 5 years. I think Barbs COULD demand A LOT of money next year as a RFA, but will DEFINITELY be a huge commodity as a FA. I'm thinking (assumign we sign Boris to an extension this summer (and we freaking better)) that up against the luxury tax next year, with Banks firmly entrenched as the backup PG, Barbs most likely gets a sign and trade deal to add picks or another big man, or some combo of Barbs and picks to continue building the team while contending at the same time.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. The signing of Banks may mean that Barbosa is not going to be brought back which would free up money for Gooden, I guess. Well, in the future anyways. So wouldn't the Suns be paying the luxury tax for a year or two? (Heaven forbid!)

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:

Nash/Banks
Bell/Barbosa/Piatkowski
Marion/Jones
Stoudemire/Diaw
Thomas/Burke

I love Burke, but probable Lampe as the back-up and 10th man. I like that line-up but hopefully we can find another big man that we can rely on for more production.

And to whoever said it, Thomas is too important to the team to trade especially with his low trade value. He is a big part of our chances to win the championship. I was thinking about starting Diaw, but he can be our 6th man. The only reason Kurt is here is because Amare wanted him so it wouldn't make sense to bring him off the bench. I do expect his minutes to go down a bit just so they can save him for the playoffs when he really will be needed.

Next year maybe a sign and trade with KT, Barbosa and two picks?

meth

Rookie
Reaction score
Actually we can't be so sure about LB leaving. Some reports said that he is very emotional with this team. I think (I hope) we can get him for something like 6 years 35 millions. I think (I hope not) Marion will be traded next summer. I would give up KT next year. LB is an offensive freak - we don't want to hand this kind of weapon for any other team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
I was thinking pretty much the same thing. The signing of Banks may mean that Barbosa is not going to be brought back which would free up money for Gooden, I guess. (Although, wouldn't the Suns be paying the luxury tax for a year or two? Heaven forbid!)

The only definite about LB if an extension isn't signed is that he will be gone by summer 2008. Not before then. There are several ways to "get rid of him", if that's what we want to do...

1) Trade this season
2) Sign-and-trade next summer
3) Signs with another team next summer and we decline to match
3) Let him walk as an Unrestricted Free Agent in the summer of '08

Only #2 and #3 frees up any money, and #2 is too questionable to depend on and #3 is 2 years away, so Gooden will have to be gotten another way.

I guess another option is to do a sign-and-trade this season where LB would sign and extension then be traded to Cleveland for Gooden. The rules are hazy here, since in reality, LB wouldn't be making his extension number until the 2007-2008 season. I'm not sure that would even work.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Nasser22 said:
Next year maybe a sign and trade with KT, Barbosa and two picks?

The problem with this is that we would never get value back, and instead probably get overpaid players with horrible contracts.

KT is at or around 8 million a year, a resigned Barbosa could be in the neighborhood of 6 million a year and then the two picks, whatever they are, would have some value. That's at least 14-15 million in return we'd have to get back, unless the other team is under the cap, and I'm not sure one of those teams would take that deal. They'd essentially just be doing us a favor by taking KT off our hands financially. Not sure anyone would want to do that.

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
Gambo has some nerve taking credit for this 'rumor' now! Lame.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05