McCown is a mobile QB - should start

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
My main concern was the fumbles though.

And they were bad fumbles too. Shades of Jake and Dave Krieg.

But, the guy can still sling the rock at times. I don't think McCown would've gotten us past the 30 on that last drive. People booed some of the short throws early in the drive, but those are the sorts of plays it takes to get 2 minute drives going. I just don't see McCown making those type of heady plays. He'd have either tried to run or jam it downfield when the coverage was too tight.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Codeofhammurabi said:
Warner has faults. His fumbles bother me, and he is less than mobile. He is not currently our main problem. We must find a run game, and if we don't it will not matter who is quarterbacking.
I agree.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
clif said:
Not really... There were times were Anquan had to wait on the ball to get to him. Had he been hit in stride on those sideline plays he could have run for plenty of yards.

My main concern was the fumbles though.

Have you lost your entire mind? I mean if...err...it isnt worth it. It is really sad seeing, what appear to be, intelligent individuals grasping at straws so they can screm they were right. RIDICULOUS! :rolleyes:

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Codeofhammurabi said:
Warner has hit more recievers in stride this season, than our entire season last year. Warner has faults. His fumbles bother me, and he is less than mobile. He is not currently our main problem. We must find a run game, and if we don't it will not matter who is quarterbacking.

No doubt, but there were obvious mistakes that had nothing to do with pass protection. It was the lack of a consistent attack. I don't think we stretched the field enough.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Have you lost your entire mind? I mean if...err...it isnt worth it. It is really sad seeing, what appear to be, intelligent individuals grasping at straws so they can screm they were right. RIDICULOUS! :rolleyes:

Scream that I'm right about what? Kurt was not hitting receivers in stride today. Qb's do that some times... it doesn't mean that I think he should be benched. I would just like to see better execution. Prime example would have been the deep ball to BJ... he underthrew that ball. BJ had to slow up and that is why Groce was able to pick it.

I like what Kurt brings to the table, but those fumbles were just plain silly.

Codeofhammurabi

Cards Fan Since 1971
Reaction score
clif said:
No doubt, but there were obvious mistakes that had nothing to do with pass protection. It was the lack of a consistent attack. I don't think we stretched the field enough.

Kurt has been dumping the ball off, but I heard Giants fans screaming all of last year that he held on to the ball way to long. The down-field passing game may fall on the O coordinators shoulders as well.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
I rather we stick with Kurt than go with Josh who can't read defense and has happy feet and don't go thru his progression.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
For those of you that think Warner wasn't getting vertical enough. 7 out of 30 isn't really that bad is it? Including the six guys in front of him, who do you suppose had the worst o-line and run support today?

Roethlisberger-12.1
McNabb-11.8 YPA (Against SF, which apparently didn't show up today)
Dilfer-10.5 YPA
Hasslebeck-9.1 YPA
Green 8.5 YPA
Palmer-8.4 YPA
Warner-7.8 YPA
Favre-7.8 YPA
Brees-7.6 YPA
Collins-7.5 YPA
Bulger-7.4 YPA
Orton-7.1 YPA
Leftwich-6.8 YPA
Plummer-6.7 YPA
Vick-6.5 YPA
Culpepper-6.4 YPA
Carr-6.4 YPA
Pennington-6.3 YPA
Griese-6.2 YPA
Brady-6.1 YPA
Delhomme-5.9 YPA
McNair-5.4 YPA
Harrington-5.3 YPA
Wright-5.3 YPA
P. Manning-4.4 YPA
Rattay-4.1 YPA
Frerotte-4.1 YPA
Losman-3.9 YPA

Just for comparison's sake, McCown has passed for a better YPA(7.8) in a game twice in his career. McCown averages 6.1 YPA in his career while Warner averages 8.4.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
591 yds, 63.6%, 1TD, 2INT's for a QB rating of 77.4.

Considering the guys blocking infront of him, those are respectable numbers so far.

Additionally, that completion percentage should be higher considering some of the very catchable balls BJ has been dropping recently.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Are we seriously having a discussion about the QB after that horrible performance by the Oline?

It doesn't matter who we have at QB right now because if you are a one-dimensional team, its very easy for DCs to stop you. I said this last year when Josh was getting too much blame (he did deserve some of the blame but not as much as some on here gave him ... ie swd). Games are won in the trenches and we are getting our asses handed to us on both sides of the ball (we did last year too).

I keep trying to explain the common sense of the game but for some reason some people just don't want to hear it. Until we can run the ball and stop the run on a consistent basis arguments like this are pointless

Well spoken!! :thumbup:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even I, and strong supporter of McCown last year, see the lunacy in replacing Warner with McCown. Warner gets rattled by the rush and being hit but McCown has proven that he panics with the rush and begins playing out of control. Warner never was the QB to take this team to the playoffs regardless of what Denny said but I thought Warner would take the Cards to the next step which as .500 football. Clearly, with the cast surrounding him, that is unlikely.

McCown is done with this team...the only way he sees the field this year is in garbage time or if/when (likely when) Warner gets hurt.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
BigRedFan said:
Ridiculous. That just takes away the strong point of the team, a QB that can throw bullets to the 2 WRs. Boldin is on pace for 1400+ yards, Fitzgerald for 1700+.

Kurt Warner is not the problem with this team. Even with no time he is hitting receivers. You cannot build a team around a philosophy of a QB who can outrun the pourous offensive line. Might as well start the fastest guy on your team at QB. At least Warner can recognize the blitz and if does not get to him by the time the ball does he can hit a receiver. Let us not sart this changing QB's all over again. We need some stability.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
It does factor in the overthrows and underthrows. There were 13 incompletions, those are counted there.

Let us also factor in those dropped passes.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
clif said:
I didn't think that pass blocking was our problem today. Of course there were sacks given up, but overall it looked to me to be lack of execution. We were dinking and dunking. Penalties at crucial times with poor run blocking.

Pass blocking not a problem?????????? That is the greatest problem on this team bar none.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Until the O line pulls its head out, no QB will have much success in this offense. Warner is putting up stats but no points. You can't win games trading TDs for FGs. The red zone offense really sucks.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
john h said:
Pass blocking not a problem?????????? That is the greatest problem on this team bar none.

No it is not. Run blocking is the main problem. If you can't run then teams don't respect you passing game.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
The problem is the O-Line, not Warner. What do you expect when the pass protection and running holes are not there. On top of that, when we do get decent yardage someone on the O-Line is off sides or sometimes holding. The penalities have killed us. Davis, for one, at this point should not be having offside penalties so often! Its a matter of mental concentration. Ross has not been the savior so far; Sheldon was better. With Brown - he just needs time. Hopefully the right side will start to jell and Step will get a better handle on the ball. Warner would be throwing 400+ and throwing less often if the O-Line were together and consistent.!

Last edited:

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Stats don't mean crap. Points win games. This team can't score touchdowns and they won't win many games until they can fix that glaring problem.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
But that doesn't factor in the two fumbles the numerous over throws and under throws.

Hey I am not ready to say put in McCown because I really do think it would demoralize the team. Today was not a good day.. no matter what the stats say. Kurt was not good today.

yeah like mccown never fumbles and throws bad passes :rolleyes:

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
BigRedRage said:
yeah like mccown never fumbles and throws bad passes :rolleyes:

I never said Josh would have done any better. Reread my posts for better comprehension

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
Stats don't mean crap. Points win games. This team can't score touchdowns and they won't win many games until they can fix that glaring problem.

yes but people are saying put in mccown, no way in hell do i believe mccown could put more points up than warner, whatd he have, 6 td passes all year?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
I never said Josh would have done any better. Reread my posts for better comprehension

i dunno, the topic is about putting mcclown back in, last seasons offence sucked alot more than this seasons, once the oline gels (if ever) kurt will do even better.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
BigRedRage said:
i dunno, the topic is about putting mcclown back in, last seasons offence sucked alot more than this seasons, once the oline gels (if ever) kurt will do even better.

If you read my posts you would see that I did not agree with that notion, BUT to say that Warner was without fault yesterday is turning a deaf ear to the evidence.

Warner is the starter and that should continue.

OP
OP
T

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
Kicking 4 field goals vs. Larry Marnie is embarrassing. Couple of things that I don't like about Warner?

1. Why did Warner not attack the middle of the field until the last drive yesterday?
2. Never/rarely gets out of the pocket.
3. Rarely steps up in pocket
4. Threw too many balls to Charles Lee. Nothing against Lee but he is our #4 receiver.
5. Terrible clock management on the last drive.
6. Lacks the energy I would like to see in our QB.
7. Short term solution

Is Warner the only problem? NO. I agree with that. The other problems are the O Line and RB position. You can't change the entire line overnight.

McCown is not the passer that Warner is but I would take his desire to win, mobility, and attitude over Warner any day.

WARNER HAS SCORED ONE TD IN TWO WEEKS. Stats (300+ passing yards) don't mean anything. Getting the ball in the endzone and winning is what matters. People say he has no running game support. McCown did not have one last year either.

Warner is a waste of time...and keeps are good D on the field too much.