Metta World Peace Assaults Harden (ugly vid)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is awesome that they have two all star appearances between them in the last 4 years. Broad shoulders, they are. Sometimes it seems Bynum and Pau are playing an all-star game with the effort they give out, but I can see how you'd be confused.

uh... Gasol's made 3 All-Star teams in the last four years and Bynum was a starter this year. That's 4 all-star appearances in 4 years.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This is the same fan base that crows about titles won in Minneapolis in the 50s, right?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, it is awesome that they have two all star appearances between them in the last 4 years. Broad shoulders, they are. Sometimes it seems Bynum and Pau are playing an all-star game with the effort they give out, but I can see how you'd be confused.

Jeez, it's like you think we got Wilt and Kareem (again).

Its funny how Kobe fans hate OTHER Lakers because... I suppose they detract from Kobe's supposed greatness, you cant even get their all-star totals right, shorting them by half. And their shoulders were broad enough to carry Kobe around while he shoots 25%.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The league needs to bring in more stooge refs or the Thunder might win this series by 40 a game.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Were we even alive back then? I bet there's some grainy zapruder footage of that series somewhere. Laker legendary starters Smush Parker, Kwame Brown and Luke Walton did marvelous things for our franchise a few decades ago.
naw that wasn't that long ago. that was when kobe was trying to go his own way and prove he was mr. big shot. then he quickly changed his mind and realized he couldn't do it all alone and whined to be traded so they got gasol and they were relevant again. my mavs are going through a situation like that now too....cuban would be the comparable jerk like kobe trying to do it his way and learning the hard way. .

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand your issue here. Are you contesting the history of flopping? It's been pretty widely accepted that the escalated "acting" in the NBA came alongside the influx of International players. It's not a theory that just surfaced recently, it's been talked about since the early part of Vlade's career and it's always been a given that it grew out of the behavior that these players routinely observed on the soccer field.

As for blaming soccer for it, I don't see any value in doing that, it's merely an historical observation IMO. Regardless of it's origins, I agree with you that flopping and trying to fake the referee into making the wrong call is bad for the game and the NBA needs to take steps to end it. I think every play of every game should be reviewed by a group of retired referees and if it's clearly an attempt to influence the ref into a bad call the team should be fined an escalating amount (start at a hundred grand and double it for EACH infraction during a season). Start hitting Houston with multi-million dollar fines and see how long they're willing to put Scola out there on the court.

Steve
I'm honestly all over the place on that one. I think my point is that you can't blame foreignors and you can't blame soccer. sure they have something to do with it, but they are not 100% to blame. certainly not soccer. this is basketball and players, regardless of their background, are going to try to get an advantage. If I recall the two teams in question the last week are made up of american players(heat and clippers). I don't think wade/james grew up idols of foreign players or soccer. maybe I'm wrong. i guess everyone should share in the blame together and just take accountabilty and it can be corrected.

either way I agree with your point though about fining guys. I don't know that I want the officials to have more on their plate in game. suspending guys might work too.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its funny how Kobe fans hate OTHER Lakers because... I suppose they detract from Kobe's supposed greatness, you cant even get their all-star totals right, shorting them by half. And their shoulders were broad enough to carry Kobe around while he shoots 25%.

I don't hate any Lakers. Not even Karl Malone whom I detested.

Once you don the blue & gold, you are beloved. Means I can talk crap about them too when they are eunuchs on the court.

Even most ex-Lakers are beloved, so long as they never play for the Celtics.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
naw that wasn't that long ago. that was when kobe was trying to go his own way and prove he was mr. big shot. then he quickly changed his mind and realized he couldn't do it all alone and whined to be traded so they got gasol and they were relevant again. my mavs are going through a situation like that now too....cuban would be the comparable jerk like kobe trying to do it his way and learning the hard way. .

There is a difference between a competent team and a starting lineup of Kobe, Lamar, Smush, Kwame and Luke Walton. Carrying that team to the playoffs was a Mr. Big Shot job...but you don't win titles carrying scrubs to the altar.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Underdogs looking like hangdogs. Might be a quick series. Exactly the no-expectations team I thought they were.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I hardly noticed.

AS = overrated fan poll. *shrug*

a) so... you admit you were wrong?

b) All-Star reserves are decided by coaches, not fans.

And Gasol was a 3 time All-NBA 2nd or 3rd team during that four year stretch and Bynum will likely by a 2nd Team ALL-NBA C this year.

sorry... but the idea that Kobe really didn't have All-Star seven footers during the last four years doesn't wash from any angle you want to present.

and good God, this Lakers team is classless. Handle losses like men.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a) so... you admit you were wrong?

b) All-Star reserves are decided by coaches, not fans.

And Gasol was a 3 time All-NBA 2nd or 3rd team during that four year stretch and Bynum will likely by a 2nd Team ALL-NBA C this year.

sorry... but the idea that Kobe really didn't have All-Star seven footers during the last four years doesn't wash from any angle you want to present.

and good God, this Lakers team is classless. Handle losses like men.

a) of course. why not?

b) meh still. All stars and all the awards are kind of hogwash, really. for ex..how is LeBron MVP over Durant? All star appearances and 1st team, 2nd team nba is bluster, IMO. Nice on the resume, but kind of pointless in the end.

All star 7 footers don't shrink to 6'7" half the time and especially in the postseason. All star 7 footers don't get handled by the likes of Channing Frye, ffs. Our all star 7 footers are maddeningly frustrating.

I also wouldn't say they "carried" the team to glory in the last four years, which was my initial contention with Phraz' post. It is not Wilt and Kareem back there, it is Bynum and Pau...both of whom disappear as often as they dominate. Pau put up another "monster" game tonight. Bynum got his offensive game going but got his balls busted all over the defensive end of the court.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
a) of course. why not?

b) meh still. All stars and all the awards are kind of hogwash, really. for ex..how is LeBron MVP over Durant? All star appearances and 1st team, 2nd team nba is bluster, IMO. Nice on the resume, but kind of pointless in the end.

All star 7 footers don't shrink to 6'7" half the time and especially in the postseason. All star 7 footers don't get handled by the likes of Channing Frye, ffs. Our all star 7 footers are maddeningly frustrating.

I also wouldn't say they "carried" the team to glory in the last four years, which was my initial contention with Phraz' post. It is not Wilt and Kareem back there, it is Bynum and Pau...both of whom disappear as often as they dominate. Pau put up another "monster" game tonight. Bynum got his offensive game going but got his balls busted all over the defensive end of the court.

It just slays me how some Laker fans view Kobe as infallible... and you're clearly in the crowd. Damn Bynum and Pau for "disappearing" but Kobe he is still stainless, despite plenty of horrific stat lines in huge games on his own record.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Revenge is a dish best served cold,

So says James Harden.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just slays me how some Laker fans view Kobe as infallible... and you're clearly in the crowd. Damn Bynum and Pau for "disappearing" but Kobe he is still stainless, despite plenty of horrific stat lines in huge games on his own record.

Sure. Those are anomalies though. Game 7 vs Celtics when he shot HORRIBLY, he was huge in the fourth by driving for free throws, and pulling down 15 boards from the SG spot in a series and games where rebounds were the difference. So even when Kobe ghosts, which he is able to do, it is never for a series (Pau vs. Dallas last year) and usually he's doing something else. you accept that he's going to shoot, and shoot, and shoot. That's who he is. He also works his ass off.

Yes dude, damn Bynum and Pau for disappearing. Especially Pau against guys who are half his size...and Bynum for basically just half-assing it.

Perhaps you don't get me - I can forgive a guy who is working his ass off, but nothing pisses me off more than half-assing it when you are physically gifted like Bynum or possess size and fluidity that is unmatched but don't use it because the guys guarding you are aggressive and you don't get calls like PassivePau.

Kobe ain't the problem, dude. Not even close.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure. Those are anomalies though. Game 7 vs Celtics when he shot HORRIBLY, he was huge in the fourth by driving for free throws, and pulling down 15 boards from the SG spot in a series and games where rebounds were the difference. So even when Kobe ghosts, which he is able to do, it is never for a series (Pau vs. Dallas last year) and usually he's doing something else. you accept that he's going to shoot, and shoot, and shoot. That's who he is. He also works his ass off.

Yes dude, damn Bynum and Pau for disappearing. Especially Pau against guys who are half his size...and Bynum for basically just half-assing it.

Perhaps you don't get me - I can forgive a guy who is working his ass off, but nothing pisses me off more than half-assing it when you are physically gifted like Bynum or possess size and fluidity that is unmatched but don't use it because the guys guarding you are aggressive and you don't get calls like PassivePau.

Kobe ain't the problem, dude. Not even close.

No, I get you perfectly. Kobe aint the problem. No matter what. Even when he is gunning the Lakers out of a game, ignoring open teammates on his way to shooting 30%, he is the hero. He aint the problem.

Trust me, I get you.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I get you perfectly. Kobe aint the problem. No matter what. Even when he is gunning the Lakers out of a game, ignoring open teammates on his way to shooting 30%, he is the hero. He aint the problem.

Trust me, I get you.

Trust me, you don't. There are plenty of times he is the problem. This isn't one of them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm honestly all over the place on that one. I think my point is that you can't blame foreignors and you can't blame soccer. sure they have something to do with it, but they are not 100% to blame. certainly not soccer. this is basketball and players, regardless of their background, are going to try to get an advantage. If I recall the two teams in question the last week are made up of american players(heat and clippers). I don't think wade/james grew up idols of foreign players or soccer. maybe I'm wrong. i guess everyone should share in the blame together and just take accountabilty and it can be corrected.

either way I agree with your point though about fining guys. I don't know that I want the officials to have more on their plate in game. suspending guys might work too.

I don't think it was ever 100% but the point that Dan Patrick and others are making is more historical than a statement about today's game. The escalation began as a result of the influx of international players but it's gone way beyond that. There was a time that Vlade Divac was by far the biggest "actor" in the NBA but if he were transported to today's game he wouldn't even make the top 50. The things we see from players like Luis Scola or Reggie Evans go way beyond anything Vlade ever did.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yep, absolutely. Because they are TITLES. Won by the franchise.

You missed the point, which is that it's weird, to say the least, to dismiss 2007 as ancient history while simultaneously basking in the glory of something that happened long before most of us were born.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You missed the point, which is that it's weird, to say the least, to dismiss 2007 as ancient history while simultaneously basking in the glory of something that happened long before most of us were born.

It's called hyperbole, bro.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I didn't hear the entire statement but they said something last night about Artest saying that Harden snuck up on him, surprised him and then flopped? did I hear that right? I thought Ron had already conceded when he saw the replay it looked worse than he thought, is he really now claiming Harden flopped?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I didn't hear the entire statement but they said something last night about Artest saying that Harden snuck up on him, surprised him and then flopped? did I hear that right? I thought Ron had already conceded when he saw the replay it looked worse than he thought, is he really now claiming Harden flopped?

Yep, thats what he is saying now. The NBA should reinstate their suspension if he wants to make it so clear he would do it again. The guy is disturbed. He should not be allowed to play. The league should say "here is a pension, we will pay for your therapy, but you are a threat to the players around you".

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05