Metta World Peace Assaults Harden (ugly vid)

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The most maddening thing about this situation, is how brutal it was.. Here Raffi Torres who is viewed in hockey a little how Ron Artest is viewed in basketball, delivers a hit during the game, and is made an example of by getting a RIDICULOUS 25 games..

Here Ron Artest blatantly and viciously elbows a defenseless opponent, he is deserving of a suspension for the rest of the season WITHOUT A DOUBT.. If he gets anything less than 5 games there should be a riot...

What a classless piece of work..

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
However, he also had no friggin idea who was there, just there was a guy on him (which actually, IMO, makes it more frightening) and he blew him up.

Pro athletes live and die by their vision, especially their periphery and how they sense people around them, even behind. Now, whether or not he knew it was Harden might be debatable, but I guara-damn-tee that he knew it was an OKC player behind him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most maddening thing about this situation, is how brutal it was.. Here Raffi Torres who is viewed in hockey a little how Ron Artest is viewed in basketball, delivers a hit during the game, and is made an example of by getting a RIDICULOUS 25 games..

Here Ron Artest blatantly and viciously elbows a defenseless opponent, he is deserving of a suspension for the rest of the season WITHOUT A DOUBT.. If he gets anything less than 5 games there should be a riot...

What a classless piece of work..

I disagree (sort of). I think there are a few players in the NBA that are scum. I don't think Artest is one of them. I think he's actually a pretty decent guy most of the time. But Ron has a real problem. He's bat-crap crazy. I blame the NBA for this action more than I blame Artest. He's demonstrated a lack of control many times at both the NBA and collegiate level and enough is enough.

It's time the commissioner sits down with him and promises Artest the full support of the league as he deals with his issues and they should do everything they can to assist him in adjusting to life without basketball. But, make no mistake, it should be life WITHOUT basketball. It's not fair to the rest of the players to put them on the court with a man that has demonstrated time and again a willingness to assault others without regard for consequence.

While separating him permanently from the NBA might seem like harsh punishment, I'm not suggesting it should be done as punishment. I say suspend him in a manner consistent with the league standards and dock his pay the corresponding amount as a disciplinary action. Then, treat him as you would any other player with a disability that prevents further play.

Steve

asudevil83

Reaction score

Pro athletes live and die by their vision, especially their periphery and how they sense people around them, even behind. Now, whether or not he knew it was Harden might be debatable, but I guara-damn-tee that he knew it was an OKC player behind him.

agreed. and how often do players blindly bump eachother? ALL THE FREAKING TIME. and how often do we see them EXPLODE with elbows?

artest is mental. sorry Meta World Peace is a complete f'ing nutbag.

and if some guy bumping into him is an excuse for him to blow up then he is a danger to the nba

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

******** - he knew someone was on him, but he had no idea who. there is NO way he knew it was harden, and incredibly doubtful he knew it was an OKC player...I'm sure he assumed it was an OKC player in the fraction of a second he had to process. It happened in an eyeblink, and he was primping for the crowd, looking at the crowd.

He had no effing clue what he did...he was completely gonzo and he had lost his freaking mind and threw the elbow while supercharged with hype and aggression. Inexcusable, but in no way was it premeditated or even thought about. He reacted in a crazy, violent manner, but it was a reaction, not a retaliation or anything of the sort. Thinking he had a clue what he was doing is a falsehood driven by the dramatic effect of slow motion replay. That happened FAST as all hell.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
******** - he knew someone was on him, but he had no idea who. there is NO way he knew it was harden, and incredibly doubtful he knew it was an OKC player...I'm sure he assumed it was an OKC player in the fraction of a second he had to process. It happened in an eyeblink, and he was primping for the crowd, looking at the crowd.

He had no effing clue what he did...he was completely gonzo and he had lost his freaking mind and threw the elbow while supercharged with hype and aggression. Inexcusable, but in no way was it premeditated or even thought about. He reacted in a crazy, violent manner, but it was a reaction, not a retaliation or anything of the sort. Thinking he had a clue what he was doing is a falsehood driven by the dramatic effect of slow motion replay. That happened FAST as all hell.

Dude. Lay off your Laker glasses bro.

Harden didn't come at him from behind. Harden came from his front peripheral area. At the VERY least, he saw the flash of his uniform color.

I was a state corrections officer, and trust me when I say that "eyes behind your back" is almost a real thing--and I'm not being paid professionally for my excellent vision on a well-lighted basketball court.

EDIT: Of course, you're also operating under your Laker-tinted view that MWP "didn't mean it." If you look at it again, MWP deliberately lifts his elbow level to his head to make it over the-person-behind-him's shoulder. I'd link you to all the "fist pumps" I've seen in the NBA that's done that way, but I can't find any. They're usually done more naturally, with the elbows never raising above the shoulders.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read it perfectly. Maybe you don't know how to write.

Hmmm....so you say that I put the blame on Harden because I think he was stupid to go near a psychopath. However, you failed to read these comments from me:

Meds are a good thing, Metta Ron.

Ron was way out of line and will deserve however many games he gets plus some

Ron was out of control and didn't know who he was punishing...he felt someone and lost his **** and swung. Inexcusable.

That said, Ron gets five games and it will be a slap on the wrist...should get 20.

Absolutely...I was telling my wife if it were me, my neck would be broken. Artest is what, 260 lbs of muscle? That's a wickedly lethal weapon (driven by a crazy man).

Yes, you need to learn to read. My writing is just fine.

What slo mo does is show you the nuances. That is why slo mo is a staple of sports broadcasts.

Slo mo shows you what happened....but it does NOT show you why. It exaggerates motions and allows one to infer all kinds of crap that does not come into play as to the action that takes place in real, live, actual time. Watching Ron's arm **** back for the elbow takes a ton of time in slo mo, letting you place all your bias and expectations in the gap. In reality, without slo-mo, Artest had an eyeblink between getting bumped to having Harden on the ground - the dude was raging after a big play and pumping adrenaline like mad...it was clearly a reactionary play and not a play with forethought.

It was a BAD play, and inexcusable, but it wasn't thought out. People act like Ron was thinking "oh, let me knock Harden or this OKC dude out right here." He didn't have time for that...he was in the "get off me mothereffer" mode, which IMO is far more dangerous (and crazy) than a guy who is headhunting another dude for retaliation. Ron is a danger to everyone, because when he snaps like that, he doesn't really care about anyone but Ron...he's in his own little world. Even as a teammate, I for sure would not be the one getting between him and another player because he's the type of guy who would swing through a "friend" to get to his perceived enemy, and damn the torpedoes. Those guys are dangerous, and not to be trifled with.

I agree with Steven in many respects...probably shouldn't be playing basketball when he isn't medicated or in charge of his mental facilities. He's more than a touch unstable. At core, I think he's actually a very good guy, but he has serious mental issues.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude. Lay off your Laker glasses bro.

Harden didn't come at him from behind. Harden came from his front peripheral area. At the VERY least, he saw the flash of his uniform color.

I was a state corrections officer, and trust me when I say that "eyes behind your back" is almost a real thing--and I'm not being paid professionally for my excellent vision on a well-lighted basketball court.

EDIT: Of course, you're also operating under your Laker-tinted view that MWP "didn't mean it." If you look at it again, MWP deliberately lifts his elbow level to his head to make it over the-person-behind-him's shoulder. I'd link you to all the "fist pumps" I've seen in the NBA that's done that way, but I can't find any. They're usually done more naturally, with the elbows never raising above the shoulders.

Wrong. Of course he meant it. He wanted whomever was on him to get off. Of course, you are operating under your Suns colored glasses that anyone who likes the Lakers doesn't know ****. Whatever.

Watch the live action video - he had no time to discern anything, he was in FULL reaction mode. If you worked corrections, you know also that people defend themselves instinctively, and crazy people aggressively attack instinctively in "defense."

And I never said he came at him from behind...he came from the side, and Ron was looking at the crowd with adrenaline pumping through his brain like a fountain...if he saw a color flash of the uniform it didn't matter, he was already committed to throwing that bow no matter what. The dude is like nitroglycerin, handle with care.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Wrong. Of course he meant it. He wanted whomever was on him to get off. Of course, you are operating under your Suns colored glasses that anyone who likes the Lakers doesn't know ****. Whatever.

Watch the live action video - he had no time to discern anything, he was in FULL reaction mode. If you worked corrections, you know also that people defend themselves instinctively, and crazy people aggressively attack instinctively in "defense."

And I never said he came at him from behind...he came from the side, and Ron was looking at the crowd with adrenaline pumping through his brain like a fountain...if he saw a color flash of the uniform it didn't matter, he was already committed to throwing that bow no matter what. The dude is like nitroglycerin, handle with care.

Again:

Feel free to look at what--or more like who--"World Peace" was DIRECTLY looking at, right before he sidled over to knock him out:

You must be registered for see images attach

^ That's the video in the OP. Feel free to go to the marked time and see what happens after, and tell me that MWP didn't at least know that an OKC player was behind him, considering there are NO white jerseys in front of him before he went "looking at the crowd."

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again:

Feel free to look at what--or more like who--"World Peace" was DIRECTLY looking at, right before he sidled over to knock him out:

You must be registered for see images attach

LOL, your little image cap shows him looking more in the direction of Durant.

That super meaningful look is 1/30th of a second of life, when the dude is starting to pound on his chest and preen for the crowd. He never looks at or addresses Harden at all.

game speed:

I don't think the crazy muffer even realized what he had done for a good 20 seconds. He is visibly shocked people are coming at him pissed off.

He simply flipped the f out. which is not surprising.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
LOL, your little image cap shows him looking more in the direction of Durant.

That super meaningful look is 1/30th of a second of life, when the dude is starting to pound on his chest and preen for the crowd. He never looks at or addresses Harden at all.

game speed:

I don't think the crazy muffer even realized what he had done for a good 20 seconds. He is visibly shocked people are coming at him pissed off.

*sigh*

You talk about **** like "game speed" like we're not talking about people who live and die with decisions they make at those speeds, if not faster.

Whatever, man. We'll agree to disagree. Just know that you're the one being irrational here. We pay these men millions upon millions to live, move, *think* and *see* things at "game speed," and yet you're sitting here defending how little "he could have known" at such game speeds.

EDIT: And the point of the "game cap" is to show you that MWP AT LEAST KNEW THAT IT WAS AN OKC PLAYER THAT WAS BEHIND HIM.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and tell me that MWP didn't at least know that an OKC player was behind him, considering there are NO white jerseys in front of him before he went "looking at the crowd."

Ah, there's your problem...you are under the impression that he was "thinking" at that time. Ef no he wasn't thinking...there was nothing going on up there but base hype and aggression kicking into crazy-level overdrive.

I'm sorry dude, but if he maliciously was going after an OKC player it wouldn't have gone like that...he lost his crap, clearly, and was a menace to himself and others nearby.

There was no thought going on...you are giving him WAAAAAY too much credit to have him thinking about who was around him. He wanted to primp and preen, and someone got in his way so BAM, get offamebitch was his reaction.

I'd have more understanding of it if I thought he actually DID know what he was doing, and then I'd hope he'd go after Perkins with that crap if he were to do it...but he was just completely off the chain at that point.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe. It's pretty obvious what's in his field of vision but I have no idea what registered or what his intent was. However, I have no doubt that a typical athlete would have seen Harden, identified him and processed that information quite easily in that situation. By typical, I mean pretty much any athlete and a whole lot of non-athletes too. It's possible that Artest zoned out completely but it seems to me that some kind of thought process had to be involved as an elbow doesn't get thrown in that manner on a casual whim.

Steve

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*sigh*

You talk about **** like "game speed" like we're not talking about people who live and die with decisions they make at those speeds, if not faster.

Whatever, man. We'll agree to disagree. Just know that you're the one being irrational here. We pay these men millions upon millions to live, move, *think* and *see* things at "game speed," and yet you're sitting here defending how little "he could have known" at such game speeds.

Defending? LOL...it isn't "defending." It's being realistic. The kind of things you want him to be processing at that speed in that timeframe just don't happen, no matter how many dollars you pay a guy or how elite of an athlete he is, not when he's amped up and dancing for the crowd. He wasn't looking at who was around him...he was amped up like crazy (and overkill, anyway, IMO...).

Why is it so important that he be maliciously trying to hurt the other player? I find it more disturbing from how I view it that he has no freaking control of himself, and acts like a dude who just got jumped by a gang of people at the drop of a hat. That's his MO...just loose cannon and HIGHLY reactive. I'd understand it if he actually did look at Harden, size him up and elbow him in the head.

But instead, I see a guy who is out of control, throws a bow at a guy who bodies up on him when he's celebrating, not knowing that he actually knocked this dude the ef out and keeps running down court, then is shocked when guys are rushing at him pissed off. That's a literal mental break with reality right there, and it is downright scary. What you say he did is UNDERSTANDABLE, but dirty as hell and should get a 2-3 game suspension. What I say he did is bat-**** crazy and should result in a ban from the game and some serious mental counseling. But you know what, as a Laker fan, I'll agree to see it your way...and hopefully the league will too...I just hope Ron doesn't bust up a teammate the next time he has a reality lapse and break Kobe's face when he tries to punch through him to get at Jason Terry or whomever. :shrug:

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe. It's pretty obvious what's in his field of vision but I have no idea what registered or what his intent was. However, I have no doubt that a typical athlete would have seen Harden, identified him and processed that information quite easily in that situation. By typical, I mean pretty much any athlete and a whole lot of non-athletes too. It's possible that Artest zoned out completely but it seems to me that some kind of thought process had to be involved as an elbow doesn't get thrown in that manner on a casual whim.

Steve

he was completely zoned out and in his "look at me, look at me" little dance. He wasn't processing a damn thing.

And regarding your last sentence...the caveat of "for a normal person" would need to be applied. He's not normal.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Steve

Could be. Artest does suffer from some sort of mental disorder (never publicly noted which one, but most likely bipolar disorder) and could have had a manic episode today on court. The actions during which are not always conscious. Here is one of his post game tweets:

Metta WorldPeace ‏ @MettaWorldPeace I just watched the replay again..... Oooo.. My celebration of the dunk really was too much... Didn't even see James ..... Omg... Looks bad
Perhaps he didn't see him regardless of where his eyes were pointed because of how "amped" he was.

Either way, he is a repeat offender and should be given a stiff penalty.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Lakerfan: "Stay away from our player because you know he is crazy!"

Yeah right that's how it works. Maybe no one should be allowed to be within 2 meters of either MWP (or Bynum) for safety reasons :)

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Lakerfan: "Stay away from our player because you know he is crazy!"

Yeah right that's how it works. Maybe no one should be allowed to be within 2 meters of either MWP (or Bynum) for safety reasons :)

While I agree with the sentiment, a Manu fan shouldn't be lecturing anyone on player safety. No one should be let near Manu for safety reasons either. The way him and Scola flop their bodies around, they are going to end someone's career some day.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
******** - he knew someone was on him, but he had no idea who. there is NO way he knew it was harden, and incredibly doubtful he knew it was an OKC player...

You are delusional, dude.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was 100% deliberate, I have no doubt Artest was "excited" and in the moment, but I also am absolutely positive he was aware of where Harden was (and where Harden was is the same spot guys go to 90% of the time to catch the inbounds and frequently bump the scorer). He felt a rush, he felt his foe right next to him and deliberately tried to take his head off.

Artest is a crazy person. He should have been banned for life for the "Malice at the Palace". This suspension will depend on Harden. If Harden's concussion is considered severe, then Ron will probably be toast until next fall. If Harden is relatively okay, then Ron probably gets ~6 games.

The Lakers are such a loath-able group of scum. If Ron wants to learn how to elbow people he should take a page out of Kobe's book, that pile of trash is 2nd only to Karl Malone in unpunished and deliberate attempts to murder with his elbows.

Hopefully next time Ron plays he gets a similar dunk, goes to elbow someone, hits Kobe on accident both end up a bloody mess... then Bynum slips in the blood and is out for the year.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Man, just don't defend it. Artest was doing his warrior chest pound with his elbow down and then when Harden comes into the picture he deliberately swings upwards right for his head. It's pretty much an open and shut case.

Just be glad he didn't connect with Harden's face which would have been much closer to a Tomjanovich situation.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-120422/nba-happens-metta-world-peace

1. What was your gut reaction to the play?

Kevin Arnovitz, ESPN.com: That as much as we don't consider basketball a sport that features the kind of violence you see on the gridiron, these are enormous dudes with big limbs that can wreak destruction on anyone who gets in their way.

Andrew Kamenetzky, ESPN Los Angeles: Shock -- it was a pretty vicious hit, seemingly out of nowhere -- and then disappointment, considering how much work Metta has put in rehabilitating his season and image. This incident represents a major step backward.

Brian Kamenetzky, ESPN Los Angeles: Initially, I thought Metta actually didn't realize Harden was there, and was caught in a celebratory moment. A vicious one, but without malice. Then I saw the replay. It was clear World Peace knew Harden (or at least someone) was there. He felt him, and responded. It was one of the more violent things I've seen in the NBA, especially given the context.

Chris Palmer, ESPN The Magazine: I didn't have a good angle at the game so I first saw it on replay and, frankly, I was disgusted. That wasn't about basketball or competition or the heat of the moment. That was about malice and a complete lack of class.

Michael Wallace, ESPN.com: Totally dirty. Totally flagrant. Totally unnecessary. And possibly criminal. Had World Peace done something like that on the streets right outside of the arena, he could have been charged with assault. Initially, I thought Metta was reacting to James Harden stepping into his path in a way that could have been avoided. But after seeing the replay repeatedly, it appeared Harden was simply angling to receive the inbound pass. What made it worse was that Metta appeared to show no immediate remorse.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, just don't defend it. Artest was doing his warrior chest pound with his elbow down and then when Harden comes into the picture he deliberately swings upwards right for his head. It's pretty much an open and shut case.

Just be glad he didn't connect with Harden's face which would have been much closer to a Tomjanovich situation.

LOL, you are now delusional trying to compare it to the Rudy T/Kermit scenario.

COMPLETELY DELUSIONAL. Hell, even Metta Ron wouldn't make that logic leap. Your problem is thinking that I am saying that he didn't mean to do it...HELL YEAH he meant to hit him in the head with his elbow, it's crystal clear. However, my point is that it wasn't something he was thinking about as some payback, or malicious cheap shot, or even a warning for their showboating, blah blah. Ron just went...well, Ron Artest for a second...he was completely oblivious to what was going on, as referenced by his shock that people were pissed at him from OKC and wanting to fight. His face there is SHOCK...real, true shock. It's abstractly funny that he's surprised Ibaka wants to fight him..uhm, yeah dude, you just cold-clocked his teammate. I am of the opinion that Artest didn't even know WTF he did at that point. crazy dude...crazy.

The Rudy T thing was a planned punch, that happened to hit a guy in the way. But the PUNCH from Kermit was planned and carried out with malice...Ron didn't plan his laying out of Harden and his beard...you sound like Mike Breen getting off on some torture porn if you really want to roll with that "closer to Rudy T" angle.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Other than the last quote, nothing I've said is in any way in conflict with the quotes there.

the last quote is bellyaching whining bs. Half of what happens on a court or field could be assault "on the streets." And I don't even think Ron KNEW he did it...his reaction shows as much. He's in shock when Ibaka wants to get tough until he's 10 feet away, then gets smart about it. (and aside, if Ibaka and Westbrook weren't smart, that was about to be Malice in the Palace 2.0...Ron was in defense mode, and waaaaaaay too close to fans). ******* ESPN reporter aside, I've said much of the same as the others. Brian K is saying exactly what I am with his "or someone"...of course he knew SOMEONE was there..and he swung on him..that right there is the death knell. You just don't do that.

You're still not able to grasp my point, Superbone, but that's ok. You are a Suns fan..I cut you some slack.

Last edited: