Mike Jurecki Done at KGME

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is a shame sports talk sucks so much here as I really do enjoy it a lot and the news talk is like 2 minutes of news and then 5 minutes of commercials, traffic and weather.

thightower34

Rookie
Reaction score
Btrain's show is aweful I agree. And I loved him as a Cardinal. But he really brings nothing to the table he just sounds like some guy sitting around giving his (very loosely informed) opinions on things, and when he tries to talk about anything other than football it's just bad.

Honestly the only show I enjoy on local radio is Gambo and Burns and that's just because I kindof love to hate Gambo lol. Atleast Gambo gets some inside info from time to time.

For my job I'm constantly driving around, and before 2 I listen to pandora even though I would much rather listen to sports talk radio because I usually enjoy it.

Bickley is still the worst of the worst of the WORST. Did you guys know he's in a band? Cuz he is, he's totally in a band! Did you know he's in a band??? Did you? Did you know? He's in a band! Did you know he's in a band? Cuz he's in a band. They have gigs. His band that he's in. His band. Check out his band. His band is "Sick." If you didn't know he is in a band, dont worry, because he will mention it no less than 25 times each hour...

I also cant stand how Bickley changes his entire vernacular when he has a black person on the radio. What was "Hey what's up man." is now... "Yo wass happenin mah brotha."

I know this thread isn't about him,,,, just saying, Bickley is the worst. Did you know he's in a band?

If I look at the clock and it's between 12-2 I wont even consider putting on 98.7

I stopped listening to Buckley a long time ago. One thing that always drove me nuts is if he was interviewing someone famous he would over react by laughing his ass off if they made a somewhat amusing comment. But if a regular person made the same comment he would react normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stopped listening to Buckley a long time ago. One thing that always drove me nuts is if he was interviewing someone famous he would over react by laughing his ass off if they made a somewhat amusing comment. But if a regular person made the same comment he would react normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant stand fake ass people

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Jurecki is a good radio based reporter who has cultivated contacts with players -(he was pretty much the only guy who DWash would talk to) -- his info was pretty solid from inside the locker room.

Somers is a Az Republic reporter, so his journalistic standards probably limit some of the stuff he will say vs a Jurecki. i think Somers is an outstanding beat guy, and respect his takes.

Bickley is a Az Rep sports columnist, so is much more opinion oriented than a Somers. He is a Chicago native, but lately has been much more Valley focused. He is big on the concept of what the Valley needs to become a better sports community. I think he and Vince to a good job -- i think Vince Muratta is a funny guy.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
Bickly needs to cut down on the cigs. Every sentence is egh egh egh.
I like it when Vince makes fun of him and his hair.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm gonna sum up this thread... All local sports radio sucks, the hosts suck along with their sponsor shilling.

Did I miss anything?

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The other day they were talking to Budda Baker, and hes spoken several times about his sick mom. And Doug asked a question that absolutely infuriated me. He said:

"Budda, do you try to make WRs and RBs feel the pain that your mom goes through"?

That was the most pandering, fishing, classless attempt to evoke reaction. It really made me sick

Yeah, that was ridiculous. I was embarrased on behalf of all of AZ - and I don't even live there. Every year, he does that with the new rookie class. I think the reason they keep Franz around is because he's unbelievably good at what he does - running a show, going in and out of breaks, keeping it moving, being controversial, etc. There aren't many people that can do it at that level. So they're stuck with him - even though they all know that nobody likes him and he gets on everybody's nerves.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
98.7 obviously rules the sports airwaves, with 910, 1060, and 1580 all competing for second. I can't imagine all three surviving in the Phoenix market

I bet Jurecki finds his way onto one of the competitors. He needs a showrunner like Vince Marotta paired with him. Hopefully he lands somewhere before training camp.

My preferred line-up would be Chuck and Vince during the morning drive. Bickley and MJ at lunch time and Gambo and Ash during the afternoon drive.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Vince Marotta is BY FAR the best of the bunch. He is honest, sincere and consistently excellent. He's funny. He's sharp and always well-informed. He's got an encyclopedia of a mind. Bickley, Doug, Burns, Gambo, Berry, Wolf...are all pathetically bad and in some cases, completely un-listenable...
I'll add that I mostly enjoy the producer at 98.7 (Jordan Byrd). He's genuinely funny most of the time and occasionally, I'll check him out on a Saturday with Adam Green and Andy Greenberg and they do a pretty decent job. Also, he's only on when filling in, but Luke Lapinski is pretty damn solid as well.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think the premise of most of the sports shows in the valley suck for one reason, they are opinion shows without experts. If you are a regular Joe like me, your opinion holds as much water as mine. So who cares? Now if Michael Jordan, or someone with a long history in the NBA wants to tell me stories and facts about the NBA I don't know, that's good radio. I could go to a bar, or come on ASFN and get better and more informative opinions on sports subjects than some of the guys we have on radio now. Then I think, these guys get paid six figures to come up with lame opinions like this? Then I really love how they go into their family lives unrelated to sports at all, like they are some celebrity that I care what they do. "I took blah blah to see Frozen this weekend. I was actually entertained." Who gives a rat's A$$?

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
I think the premise of most of the sports shows in the valley suck for one reason, they are opinion shows without experts. If you are a regular Joe like me, your opinion holds as much water as mine. So who cares? Now if Michael Jordan, or someone with a long history in the NBA wants to tell me stories and facts about the NBA I don't know, that's good radio. I could go to a bar, or come on ASFN and get better and more informative opinions on sports subjects than some of the guys we have on radio now. Then I think, these guys get paid six figures to come up with lame opinions like this? Then I really love how they go into their family lives unrelated to sports at all, like they are some celebrity that I care what they do. "I took blah blah to see Frozen this weekend. I was actually entertained." Who gives a rat's A$$?
Bertrand Berry and Wolfly both had long careers in the NFL.

My problem with, and this isnt just for the radio guys but all sports jornalists in Az is that they are just spouting opinion ALL the time. Gambo comes closest to actual reporting but I am still wondering what happened to Alex Okafor for the 2015 playoffs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Someone's opinion isn't necessarily uninformed if they haven't been in uniform. It just needs to be well reasoned and entertaining. Most of the former players are not nearly as talented on the air as their brethren trained in journalism and communications. Maybe if they added Jurecki to Berry's show, it would flow better. Right now BB is trying so hard but it isn't natural for him at all, so he relies on canned and trite sayings and dim insights. When others lead the conversation, he inputs his thoughts and it is actually useful.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

BB is ok. Wolfley is insufferable. You could get captured ISIS to spill all their secrets by locking them in a room and listening to Wolfley 24 hours.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Bertrand Berry and Wolfly both had long careers in the NFL.

My problem with, and this isnt just for the radio guys but all sports jornalists in Az is that they are just spouting opinion ALL the time. Gambo comes closest to actual reporting but I am still wondering what happened to Alex Okafor for the 2015 playoffs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Exactly! I used to nag the San Diego newspaper about how this time of year they almost went dark on reporting the Chargers. They would tell me, well there's no training camp, the draft is over, what SHOULD we do. I would tell them, there 50 guys from last year's roster, how are they preparing for this year? You have brand new draftees and UFRAs we know nothing about, also free agent signings we do not know their personal stories. I was like you literally have 100 stories you could be reporting on this off season. Plus, no one in San Diego ever did a story on what happens when you are drafted? When do you get your first check? How do you live until then? DO the team's get you into the weight room right away? There's all kinds of stories they could be reporting on, and personal interviews, etc.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly! I used to nag the San Diego newspaper about how this time of year they almost went dark on reporting the Chargers. They would tell me, well there's no training camp, the draft is over, what SHOULD we do. I would tell them, there 50 guys from last year's roster, how are they preparing for this year? You have brand new draftees and UFRAs we know nothing about, also free agent signings we do not know their personal stories. I was like you literally have 100 stories you could be reporting on this off season. Plus, no one in San Diego ever did a story on what happens when you are drafted? When do you get your first check? How do you live until then? DO the team's get you into the weight room right away? There's all kinds of stories they could be reporting on, and personal interviews, etc.

oddly enough, our team seems to be practicing right now with a few things tweeted out but no reporting on it, is it just voluntary work? Is it an off-season conditioning program? I'm not sure whats going on with that.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oddly enough, our team seems to be practicing right now with a few things tweeted out but no reporting on it, is it just voluntary work? Is it an off-season conditioning program? I'm not sure whats going on with that.

The Cardinals are in the middle of Phase 2 work — that goes on exclusively for another week — and then OTAs will start May 16 and the meat of the offseason work will commence.

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2017/05/03/from-here-the-question-of-adding-vets/

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Someone's opinion isn't necessarily uninformed if they haven't been in uniform. It just needs to be well reasoned and entertaining. Most of the former players are not nearly as talented on the air as their brethren trained in journalism and communications. Maybe if they added Jurecki to Berry's show, it would flow better. Right now BB is trying so hard but it isn't natural for him at all, so he relies on canned and trite sayings and dim insights. When others lead the conversation, he inputs his thoughts and it is actually useful.
My problem is older sports shows were 75% reporting and interviews. Maybe 25% opinion, and I'm being generous. We would tune in to find out stuff we didn't know. Now these shows are 90% opinion, maybe 10% interviews, or one minute of actual news at the top of the hour. I can tune in any day of the week and listen to how Gambo is marrying a gal half his age. OK, I got that the first 1,000 times you brought it up! Tell me who the team brought in for try outs. Who has been told we are getting rid of. Do some reporting. Give us some meat, not just that mash potato fluff all the time. Hey, I won a lunch bet with Gambo and we are going to Pei Wei! Shut your pie hole!!!!!

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So Bickley dosent even play in the band?? Here is the bio from this link......
Bio
Whiskeys Quicker is a Valley-based rock cover band launched in 2011 by sports media personality Dan Bickley. Bickley is best known for his biting commentaries in The Arizona Republic and (link hidden). Hear him daily on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. His work and opinions are often featured on Ch. 12 News. But music has always been one of his passions, and this band is fulfillment of a lifelong dream
Bickley first recruited Joe Palma as lead guitarist. Palma has played professionally in Los Angeles, jamming with some of the biggest names in the industry. He likes to travel the world and remain mysterious.
Bassist Gary Hake is from Minneapolis, now living in Phoenix. Gary has performed, recorded and collaborated with a variety of groups and singer-songwriters over the years. From originals to covers, hard rock to funk, R&B to experimental, Gary takes pride in playing all styles of music with heart, soul, energy and groove.
Lead Vocalist Matt Evans is the band's newest addition. He is a family man with a side of rock and roll.
Drummer Sam Young is new to the Phoenix area. Playing during the hey day of The Strip with an original band, Sam honed his craft in the clubs of Los Angeles. After returning to Northern California, he played with several cover and original acts. With a heavy foot and a big sound, Sam gives WQ the foundation to get any crowd moving.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From there website:

Dan Bickley - Rhythm Guitar

Bickley is best known for his biting sports commentaries in The Arizona Republic. He’s the host of "The Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta" on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. Dan is also featured every weekend on Channel 12 Sports Tonight with Bruce Cooper. Music has always been one of his passions, and this band is fulfillment of a lifelong dream.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05