Moving On at ILB

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
While you are right about Washington not being all in and therefore his negative presence is best removed, the reality is you didn't offer any realistic, viable solution to fill the void he leaves behind. Dansby had a great season last year due in very large part because he had Washington at his side for most of the season! Now we lose not one, but BOTH! And, because the team thought Washington would be here, we made no draft picks and no meaningful FA moves to address the ILB position.
This is a HUGE problem. We will have zero hope of covering a TE this season. If I were an opposing team, I would run two friggin TE sets all game long! Add to this mess a rookie SS who, according to reports has a TON to learn in pass coverage, I really believe our offense is going to have to out up 30 points per game just to keep us close...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This team is not going to have to score 30 points a game to win. Say what you want, but you still have run the ball in the NFL and our run defense could actually be better this year. That is still an element which affects the way one is able to throw the ball :)

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can't picture anyone trading for Housler as he will likely be cut anyway. If the Cards want to trade from such an obvious position of need it will cost them dearly. The NFL is full of vultures.
Why would Housler ever get cut considering the very low cost and that he has improved each year? Trade-able, definitely. Cutt-able, absolutely not.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He has a lot of growing up to do for sure. Most of us did, but we weren't in the limelight.

For someone who needs to be tested 10 times a year to continue in the league and on the team, MAYBE just a bit more support was needed. Maybe I'm a bit off here....but THEY put their 10M trust in him. Shouldn't that be backed up in a more substantial and consistent way? I'm not saying I have all the answers....but their should be questions aimed at both sides.

Dude is no longer a kid. He is a man with a prolonged addiction which the NFL considers an offense. Time to get his position filled :)

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I'm more interested to see if anyone comes available during preseason cutdowns. I think that's our best bet to find at least a quality veteran to add to our ILB core from this point forward. I don't see a trade of any consequence happening. Trades are so rare in the NFL.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch, it appears to me that the Titans would be an unlikely landing spot for Housler. If anyone, it would be CKW that knows he hasn't lived up to his draft status.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever...

Point is that he's a three time loser on the drug front and facing further suspension on the assault charge.

BASK and Mike Bidwill took a gamble on him and he burned them.

Doubt they're in a forgiving mood after having been treated as chumps.

i hope they're not. fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me. this his him fooling them THREE times. At that point, if they forgive him, they're the biggest fools of all time.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just curious to see who could be signed after first cuts,some players with high salary i guess could be released.
At now outside of foote(34 years old) the other ILB we have didnt even play a game as a starter in the nfl

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, we already know the Sims was brought in for a look. Wonder who else the Cards will bring in of if they are satisfied with the LBers currently on the roster?

Pat Angerer is still a FA but coming off injuries. He played under BA with the Colts so BA will have a good idea if the guy is recovered. 'Angerer' is a great name for a ILB . . . and matches the mood of the fan base about the suspension.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
He was already under the League's testing program.

What were they to do? Hire a 24 hr babysitting service.

He said that he was clean, problems in the past. They believed him. He lied.

Yeah, he lied. So does everyone. Or didn't you know that?

Again IF the NFL and owners were serious about this issue about half the players in the league would be on the outs looking in. Recognize.

You don't think Clowney tutes? It's already rampant, for players entering...let alone in the league.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Housler would do well in NE, imo, as they've been very successful running multiple TE sets. Tom Brady could turn him into a weapon, much like AH, as long as Gronk is also on the field. I just think that we would want to see if our other TE's can get through the PS, injury free.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
i hope they're not. fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me. this his him fooling them THREE times. At that point, if they forgive him, they're the biggest fools of all time.

This.

Right on Cheese :)

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Housler would do well in NE, imo, as they've been very successful running multiple TE sets. Tom Brady could turn him into a weapon, much like AH, as long as Gronk is also on the field. I just think that we would want to see if our other TE's can get through the PS, injury free.

Yes, I was thinking that as well, but I couldn't find an ILB on the Patriots' roster other than their starters who would be a reasonable trade target for the Cardinals. In fact, the Pats' depth beyond Mayo and Hightower is very thin. However, they do have very good offensive line depth, which could present some possibilities.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, we already know the Sims was brought in for a look. Wonder who else the Cards will bring in of if they are satisfied with the LBers currently on the roster?

Pat Angerer is still a FA but coming off injuries. He played under BA with the Colts so BA will have a good idea if the guy is recovered. 'Angerer' is a great name for a ILB . . . and matches the mood of the fan base about the suspension.

Problem is that he stunk and got beat up in a 3-4.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, he lied. So does everyone. Or didn't you know that?

Again IF the NFL and owners were serious about this issue about half the players in the league would be on the outs looking in. Recognize.

You don't think Clowney tutes? It's already rampant, for players entering...let alone in the league.

What's your point and how does it apply to the case at hand?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

They won't. D-Wash is toast in AZ. All that's left now is getting as much of the money back as possible. DW's statement of "I have decided to accept the responsibility" is such a crock. Gee---hmmm---how noble to accept the responsibility while he has a fresh $5M in the bank and now the year off. All of it is despicable---and there is no way Bruce Arians and Steve Keim are going to want him as a part of what they are building.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Problem is that he stunk and got beat up in a 3-4.

Are you making reference to Sims or Angerer?

Here's Angerer's stat page:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AngePa99.htm
Last full healthy season was 2011

Here's Sims stat page:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SimsEr20.htm
Played for the Cowpies, they need someone, not resigning him---what does that tell you?

Dallas writer reporting that the Cowpies will not be looking to fill Lee's spot by signing a FA but from within. Not sure how much I believe this article. The author has Foote available for the Cowboys to sign; has the 99% retired London Fletcher as a FA? Now there's a possibility---lure Grandpa Fletcher out of retirement!
http://www.sportsrumoralert.com/2014/05/cowboys-rumors-dallas-to-replace-sean.html

Here's Fletcher's being 99% retired:
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2302/london-fletcher

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
They won't. D-Wash is toast in AZ. All that's left now is getting as much of the money back as possible. DW's statement of "I have decided to accept the responsibility" is such a crock. Gee---hmmm---how noble to accept the responsibility while he has a fresh $5M in the bank and now the year off. All of it is despicable---and there is no way Bruce Arians and Steve Keim are going to want him as a part of what they are building.
I think he's done also. He's had plenty of chances. And that's only the chances we have heard about. I doubt he was an angel off the field except for the few times he was caught. Common sense tells me he had/has plenty issues and has gotten away with alot of things and been caught for only a few.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Agreed. I would also add that the players won't want him around either...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you making reference to Sims or Angerer?

Here's Angerer's stat page:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AngePa99.htm
Last full healthy season was 2011

Here's Sims stat page:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SimsEr20.htm
Played for the Cowpies, they need someone, not resigning him---what does that tell you?

Dallas writer reporting that the Cowpies will not be looking to fill Lee's spot by signing a FA but from within. Not sure how much I believe this article. The author has Foote available for the Cowboys to sign; has the 99% retired London Fletcher as a FA? Now there's a possibility---lure Grandpa Fletcher out of retirement!
http://www.sportsrumoralert.com/2014/05/cowboys-rumors-dallas-to-replace-sean.html

Here's Fletcher's being 99% retired:
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2302/london-fletcher

Angerer, who they say can't hold up physically in a 3-4.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

While I agree, let's be clear on the statement.

It was written by his agent.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
What's your point and how does it apply to the case at hand?

Point is getting high is rampant in pro sports and in society in general.

It seems to me the NFL and NBA are the worst offenders but I'm sure plenty of athletes across the board get around smoking weed.

I've personally had pro athletes who are playing today on teams and driving them to destinations while they were getting high on more than pot. This was immediately after a game and this was half the team.

Point is it's rampant in the spoiled athletes today. Big money is a big issue and this is one of them.

To so many of them getting high is all part of the athlete lifestyle. And it's pretty much a daily routine. Until they have to come clean, then it's about three months (which they know ahead of time) to clean out the system completely. During that time period they drink more to offset the not being able to smoke pot. Then it's all back to the same routine until the next time.

Pro sports, if they're going to enforce federally illegal subbstances need to do it consistently and randomly. But that opens up a whole can of worms. Some teams would lose many premier players and mess up salary structures.

So we have what we have. Some knowing how to manipulate and others who got caught now having to stay completely clean. It's the ideal but not the reality in today's NFL.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he's done also. He's had plenty of chances. And that's only the chances we have heard about. I doubt he was an angel off the field except for the few times he was caught. Common sense tells me he had/has plenty issues and has gotten away with alot of things and been caught for only a few.

bingo.

Reaction score
Point is getting high is rampant in pro sports and in society in general.

It seems to me the NFL and NBA are the worst offenders but I'm sure plenty of athletes across the board get around smoking weed.

I've personally had pro athletes who are playing today on teams and driving them to destinations while they were getting high on more than pot. This was immediately after a game and this was half the team.

Point is it's rampant in the spoiled athletes today. Big money is a big issue and this is one of them.

To so many of them getting high is all part of the athlete lifestyle. And it's pretty much a daily routine. Until they have to come clean, then it's about three months (which they know ahead of time) to clean out the system completely. During that time period they drink more to offset the not being able to smoke pot. Then it's all back to the same routine until the next time.

Pro sports, if they're going to enforce federally illegal subbstances need to do it consistently and randomly. But that opens up a whole can of worms. Some teams would lose many premier players and mess up salary structures.

So we have what we have. Some knowing how to manipulate and others who got caught now having to stay completely clean. It's the ideal but not the reality in today's NFL.

Are you a chauffeur? I would love to hear the stories. I have a buddy that was a driver for actors for movies they were filming in Az. He worked the Tombstone movie down in Tucson/Tombstone.He said Sam Elliot & Kurt Russell were really down to earth guys & pretty cool. Val Kilmer was a real Richard to him. He told them how Kilmer treated him & they said they would kick his ass for him if he wanted jokingly.

He had to pick up Goldie Hawn at the airport & drop her off at the set. Russell busted him staring at her ass & said "its pretty nice isn't it & it's all mine". He thought that was cool. He also drove Sally Field once. Said she was a total B. Hated her.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I'm obviously beyond pissed at Washington and think the chances of the team keeping him are slim. I will reserve having an opinion on what I think should happen as a) it really doesn't matter or effect anything and b) like everyone else this is still raw for me and my anger is clouding my sensibility. I do agree him "turning the corner" in a Cards jersey is naive but I do think time can move the needle here in a bunch of different ways.

The biggest question for me? How does my, the Cardinals, and the vast majority of people's opinions change once the NFL inevitably changes the enforcement on penalties of marijuana use (PED? LOL)? Trust me its coming. Maybe within the calendar year. And the NFL will give it up in a nano second to get HGH testing from the NFLPA. Right now the league is susceptible to legal recourse and argument in Seattle and Denver. And as much as the conservatives with their heads in the sand or just have never tried it will refute - there is practical application.

That doesn't change Dwash from being stupid and likely unable to be trusted.

But does that shift the paradigm on this type of transgression both with FAs and the FO? Will be interesting. Because of the cap ramifications he's not getting cut this year anyway (Unkess they settle to get money back from him) so maybe you hold him, let the public furor die down (it will) and see what the NFLs view in marijuana is this time next year.