Murray to Sit

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Probably be roundly dismissed for this, but for years....and years........ and...... years. Andy Reid was a talented, lovable doofus, who could coach the regular season, but couldn't win when it mattered, in the playoffs.

It went on for seasons, until he was kind of run out on a rail in PHI. Then he struggled with the same in KC, until.... he got that QB dude, and was paired with Taylors guy. Now he can do no wrong. He is the pillar of how things must be done to win the big one. This board was evenly split when we were rumored suitors of his talents upon exiting PHI. "He makes bizarre game time decisions!" was his calling card. "Cost his team the win!"

Others felt differently.

Point being, every season all coaches but one are ultimately losers. Until they aren't. And no one knows what combination of things it was that got them over the top. But the boards light up with conjecture. I'd love to see someone do the deep dive into winning percentages for coaches who play and those that sit their starters for preseason. To me, the bemoaning of the relatively new approach of sitting the entirety of the preseason reeks of serious old man vibes.

I wont do the work, because I watch football to be entertained, and I read this board to be entertained (Its very entertaining, Ill tell you that!). I don't care enough to actually do that work. But I just thought Id point out, in my own inconsequential way, that everybody has a different approach to how to summit mount Lombardi. But its very frustrating to read and re read the lamentations of our way being different that the most recent mountaineer to reach the pinnacle, when for most of his career, he didn't have the Sherpa to get him there, and was roundly dismissed as not being able to do it on his own. Now, his way is the only way to get there?

Laughable.
Reid won in the playoffs well enough to get to the NFC Championship game 4 years in a row...with Donovan McNabb

Let's not undercut the man's value

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Reid won in the playoffs well enough to get to the NFC Championship game 4 years in a row...with Donovan McNabb

Let's not undercut the man's value
I never did. But it was certainly a point of discussion on these boards.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
His production was comparable to Matt Hasselbeck's during the same era. Both were good but not HOF QBs.
I think this is pretty harsh on McNabb...Hasselbeck never was better than just fine (like Kirk Cousins), whereas McNabb often was one of the better QB's at the time.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think this is pretty harsh on McNabb...Hasselbeck never was better than just fine (like Kirk Cousins), whereas McNabb often was one of the better QB's at the time.
Let's break it down

MH: 85-75 record
60.5% comp %
36,638 yards
212 TDs passing
2.9% int%
3 PBs
1231 yards rushing
8 rushing TDs

DM: 98-62-1
59% comp%
37,276 yards
234 TDs
2.2% int%
6 PBs
3459 yards rushing
29 rushing TDs

So...I think it is clear McNabb was better than Hasselbeck but not a HOF. Drew Bledsoe might be a better comp.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
So...I think it is clear McNabb was better than Hasselbeck but not a HOF.
Agree with this. Even with very similar stats, I also feel that Hasselbeck was mainly along for the ride, whereas McNabb had to be gameplanned.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Agree with this. Even with very similar stats, I also feel that Hasselbeck was mainly along for the ride, whereas McNabb had to be gameplanned.
It's kinda a nebulous group. Boomer Esiason in in that convo. Steve McNair. Carson Palmer. Cam Newton. Drew Bledsoe.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky