Nash calls out the Suns....

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing--our fans are pathetic so far in these playoffs. Very disappointing. If only they could emulate the Oakland fans.

The bandaid thing was cute, but COME ON!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bandaid thing was cute, but COME ON!

I agree. I would have preferred rattles. I think our crowd is a little tame in the noise department though. Then again, after hearing that Golden State crowd, I think all fans for the rest of the playoffs are going to appear tame.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I thought we were pretty loud last night, myself. The refs sometimes couldn't hear each other, the sportswriters a couple rows down from us had their fingers in their ears... we started yelling for defense from the start of the game and kept it up. I can hardly croak today.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I agree the arena is much loader in person than you can see on TV. Me I think we lost game 1 due to Mike not playing Thomas on Duncan and keeping Amare out of foul trouble trying to play him. Duncan is much further out on the block when Thomas is guarding him. Duncan will get his points but at least Thomas makes it much harder for him to get them. He is the key to this series. Hopefully Mike doesn't think we don't need to change our matchups for this series.

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
I don't think Nash was singling any player out. He was talking to the whole group, esp. the younger guys, about the degree of intensity and focus and discipline it takes at the playoff level.

Totally agree, and like I said I think it was warranted. It also worked, obviously. Diaw, Marion, hell everyone played with much, much more fire in game 2. Obviously this was not just because of Nash -- the season was on the line -- but I think Nash acted exactly as a leader should have after game 1. He didn't disparage his teammates but nor did he pretend they brought their A game when they obviously didn't. Fact is, even with the matchup problems, most Suns didn't play with enough fire in game 1. Nash didn't name names, he didn't dismiss his teammates as scrubs like Kobe, in fact he said the opposite: he said they could beat the Spurs provided everyone played to their potential and with the requisite focus and determination.

Had Nash himself been the one playing with a lack of focus he would have blamed himself as he usually does.

Also worth noting: both Nash and Amare made a point of singling out Marion for his tremendous effort during game 2, which I thought was great.

You wanna hear something strange? I know I"ll be considered insane for saying this but I'm GLAD the suns lost game 1. Had they won, coach D would have insisted on keeping Kurt on the bench and sticking to his "All offense" scheme, which over a 7 game series would have proven disastrous; the Suns may have been satisfied with their lacklustre performance; and they would have likely lost game 2 going into S.A. Instead they're fired up, confident and ready to take at least one game on the Spurs court.

Go Suns!

AZZenny

Reaction score
Not insane at all -- crisis = dangerous opportunity. Desperation is the mother of invention. Etc.

I agree -- and props to whoever pushed the idea, and to coach D for going with it. I know many people still don't like him, but I think he's a heck of a good coach and importantly, does seem to learn from mistakes and adjust pretty quickly.

Steve also singled out KT in a nice way -- about what a real professional and a great teammate he is to come with fire every game despite not getting playing time -- that he was one who DID understand the intensity needed at this level -- and he's never said a word about lack of playing time although it was clearly difficult for him. Steve said something to the effect he, too, hoped KT will see more time since he clearly proved his value.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
You wanna hear something strange? I know I"ll be considered insane for saying this but I'm GLAD the suns lost game 1. Had they won, coach D would have insisted on keeping Kurt on the bench and sticking to his "All offense" scheme, which over a 7 game series would have proven disastrous; the Suns may have been satisfied with their lacklustre performance; and they would have likely lost game 2 going into S.A. Instead they're fired up, confident and ready to take at least one game on the Spurs court.

Go Suns!

Not only that, but it was great to see Kurt come in and play such a terrific game -- substantial minutes, did as good a job on Duncan as anyone can be asked to do, hit some nice little jumpers, and played Duncan 1-on-1 to make it easier for the other four to stay home on defense. In effect, after all that bench time this year he finally got a chance to get in and show everyone what he can do, and he came through bigtime. I was really happy ........ for him as well as for the team.

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
Not insane at all -- crisis = dangerous opportunity. Desperation is the mother of invention. Etc.

I agree -- and props to whoever pushed the idea, and to coach D for going with it. I know many people still don't like him, but I think he's a heck of a good coach and importantly, does seem to learn from mistakes and adjust pretty quickly.

Steve also singled out KT in a nice way -- about what a real professional and a great teammate he is to come with fire every game despite not getting playing time -- that he was one who DID understand the intensity needed at this level -- and he's never said a word about lack of playing time although it was clearly difficult for him. Steve said something to the effect he, too, hoped KT will see more time since he clearly proved his value.

Most Suns fans were ready to hang him by the nearest light pole after game 1, and rightfully so. He didn't adjust in game 1; rather he played Kurt a whopping dime bag. I was just as pissed as the rest. But I understand where D was coming from; he didn't want to swtich gears.

I couldn't hate D. He's just too self deprecating after wins. He basically says: "well, Nash figured it out; Nash is the coach". Now he's probably right, but that's still a sign of character to say as much.

I'm just happy he had the sense to give K. Thomas his proper minutes.

It's funny: the spurs are SO talented. But ultimately I think a laid back coach who works on positive reinforcement is more effective than a CIA ball-breaker. In that sense, maybe D IS better than Pop, however bizarre that may sound. If you have the talent, better to encourage than berate. Studies prove it.

Last edited:

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score

Yeah I noticed that too. Props to KT, a true warrior and professional.

silverstyne

Reaction score
Dreamcastrocks,

I've been here the whole time since I joined, I'm just not the vocal type though, I watch and read and sometimes when I feel like it, I give my 2 cents worth. Nevertheless, I've probably read a thousand threads already! With you all the way for our beloved PHX SUNS!