NBA Off Season Thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really can't remember a player changing his mind once he has committed in free agency. Maybe there are some but I can't remember.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/618841172090454016

It is why there is this period where negotiations take place, but actual signing doesn't happen. It keeps players from being pressured in weird ways and gives them a chance to think.

It would sure have helped the Suns during the McDyess fiasco.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is why there is this period where negotiations take place, but actual signing doesn't happen. It keeps players from being pressured in weird ways and gives them a chance to think.

I understand the reasons why FA is setup the way it is but in recent history can you remember a player changing his mind once he has committed during this period?

I think there would be a huge uproar if a team reneged on their contract offer.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand the reasons why FA is setup the way it is but in recent history can you remember a player changing his mind once he has committed during this period?

No. I think the moratorium is part of that though. Players take a little time. JerryC put a big contract on the table in front of Tom Chambers and then said "When I walk out of the room, it is no longer on the table." That type of take it or leave it strategy doesn't work now.

Someone from the league just said though, that the moratorium is more about taking care of salary cap details rather than giving players time to change their mind, so I guess I stand corrected.

I find it unseemly if a player's agent pushes him to a particular team because of his prior relationship with that team That is what some are claiming here, and it is clearly what happened with Antonio McDyess years ago.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Antonio McDyess is one of my least favorite former Suns players but I don't think I need to explain why.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Maybe Suns should try and go after LMA again to get him to reconsider?

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't like when good players get together to form super teams and win championships. How are teams with crappy players like the Suns ever going to win a championship in this kind of toxic environment?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Jerry Colangelo signed players to 1 year deals because they trusted that he would reward them. He had a reputation for taking care of his own and players put their trust in that. Even so, the league frowned on such deals that could be interpreted as "wink, wink" deals, so they changed the rules.

He abided by the rules and they changed them. When the new rules came down he abided by those too.

I believe this to be incredibly naive. Do you think the Dudley deal up in Portland was because he too believed in their GM? It was an under the table deal, no way about it and the league made sure to correct that in the next CBA. Believing anything else is looking through rose colored glasses, IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Looks like DeAndre is having second thoughts about his deal and Doc and the Clippers players are meeting with him today in Houston.

Can't wait to see Cuban go apoplectic on twitter if he changes his mind. That will be epic.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 11m11 minutes ago
ESPN sources say that DeAndre Jordan has promised the Mavericks a face-to-tace meeting tonight before he makes a final decision

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Jordan heads back to LA this stupid 9 day moratorium of negotiating but not signing will probably get axed.

I won't feel bad for the Mavs, but this would totally screw them. All their alternative options are gone, they will go from being a likely top 3-5 seed to a real bubble team. And they just tossed Wes Matthews that crazy contract.

Even calling them a bubble team may be generous, IMO the Suns, Thunder and Pelicans would clearly have better rosters.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't feel bad for the Mavs at all. This smacks of collusion between an agent and owner at the expense of the player.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't feel bad for the Mavs at all. This smacks of collusion between an agent and owner at the expense of the player.

As I understand it this was Jordan, on his own accord, reaching out to Doc Rivers.

I bet his agent is not thrilled about this. His relationship with the Mavs is probably poisoned.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Fegan was supposed to deliver Dwight to Dallas last summer. He owed Cuban for not coming through. Dallas has all kinds of Fegan clients coming and going. Fegan and Cuban are good friends. DJ's family thinks Fegan pushed DJ into committing to the Mavs. Word is that Fegan told the Clips that if they wanted to keep DJ, they had to trade CP3. This is why the Clips didn't bother to try very hard to keep him. Supposedly DJ did not know about that conversation. DJ left a much larger "home team" max offer on the table from the Clips. DJ is not a bright bulb and easily manipulated.

It all reminds me of the McDyess (not the brightest bulb either) situation with Denver, Tony Dutt, and John Lucas.

Bottom line, an agent works for the player, not the team. If a player takes a significantly lower contract than the one offered him by his home team, there better be very good personal reasons for doing so. If that player is having second thoughts, you blew it as an agent. The agent is supposed to understand what the player wants and get it for him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fegan was supposed to deliver Dwight to Dallas last summer. He owed Cuban for not coming through. Dallas has all kinds of Fegan clients coming and going. Fegan and Cuban are good friends. DJ's family thinks Fegan pushed DJ into committing to the Mavs. Word is that Fegan told the Clips that if they wanted to keep DJ, they had to trade CP3. This is why the Clips didn't bother to try very hard to keep him. Supposedly DJ did not know about that conversation. DJ left a much larger "home team" max offer on the table from the Clips. DJ is not a bright bulb and easily manipulated.

It all reminds me of the McDyess (not the brightest bulb either) situation with Denver, Tony Dutt, and John Lucas.

Bottom line, an agent works for the player, not the team. If a player takes a significantly lower contract than the one offered him by his home team, there better be very good personal reasons for doing so. If that player is having second thoughts, you blew it as an agent. The agent is supposed to understand what the player wants and get it for him.

Ooookay, that makes more sense. Initially I thought you were implying that his agent was colluding with the Clippers because they could offer more money.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

that story is crazy if true.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess if Jordon stays with the Clippers I will be satisfied. Really I don't know why other than I dislike the Mavericks more than the Clippers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd