NBA West Playoffs!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Ack! Can you imagine what the Suns would have to give up in order to persuade someone else to take on Frye's contract? Much better to let him languish for another year, thank him for his tenure, and wish him well.

Remember: If the Suns, of all teams, have a soft, one-dimensional player they don't want at his salary, you can be darned sure no one else does either.
Just for the heck of it, I looked up the exact definitions of languish:

-- lose or lack vitality; grow weak or feeble.

-- fail to make progress or be successful.

-- suffer from being forced to remain in an unpleasant place or situation.

Let him languish at the end of the bench (which ties up a roster spot), but not as our starting Power Forward AND backup Center, which he has been all season, despite his shortcomings.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Tucker is a great hustle defense guy. Every great team has a PJ Tucker kind of player. That being said for the Suns to move forward changes are going to need to be made. The current starting 5 will not just evolve into a top playoff team.

The Suns are probably going to bring in 2 rookies so that means 2 players on the current roster are gone and if they are any good they'll need playing time. Dragic and Bledsoe seem pretty safe but every front line position can be potentially upgraded.

Say hypothetically the Suns draft a really talented athletic wing and trade for a legit defensive rebounding PF who's minutes are they going to get? Does anybody think Frye won't pick up his player option?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Tucker is a great hustle defense guy. Every great team has a PJ Tucker kind of player. That being said for the Suns to move forward changes are going to need to be made. The current starting 5 will not just evolve into a top playoff team.

The Suns are probably going to bring in 2 rookies so that means 2 players on the current roster are gone and if they are any good they'll need playing time. Dragic and Bledsoe seem pretty safe but every front line position can be potentially upgraded.

Say hypothetically the Suns draft a really talented athletic wing and trade for a legit defensive rebounding PF who's minutes are they going to get? Does anybody think Frye won't pick up his player option?

Of course Frye will pick up his option. Nobody else is going to pay him half of what he is currently making. Suns are stuck with Frye for another year.

Having said that, he will be an expiring contract, so he might be useful for a potential "picks, decent player, expiring contract for a good player under contract for another two years" type of a trade.

EDIT: I would be surprised if the Suns draft a Center. I don't think there is room for another Center with two youngsters on the roster already. I think Adreian Payne would be a really interesting option with one of the later picks. I'd really like some kind of a trade for Vonleh, but I don't see how McD pulls that one off.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Just for the heck of it, I looked up the exact definitions of languish:

-- lose or lack vitality; grow weak or feeble.

-- fail to make progress or be successful.

-- suffer from being forced to remain in an unpleasant place or situation.

Yes, thank you, it's the third one.

Let him languish at the end of the bench (which ties up a roster spot), but not as our starting Power Forward AND backup Center, which he has been all season, despite his shortcomings.

Because the other options have been even worse. Why is this such a difficult concept?

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think Kief off the bench is safe as well, i just don't see how you can get better production from your backup pf/sf and he is still developing...Dude probably would be a starter next season taking Frye's spot.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

If Eric had stayed healthy we probably would have won in the neighborhood of 55 games. Would we be looking to upgrade multiple positions if that were the case? I'm hoping that we can package multiple picks (plus maybe Goodwin) to get that one upgrade we desperately need, a fully functioning power forward. Failing that though, I'd just as soon see us roll our picks into future seasons with an eye to finding that perfect player at a later date. I really wouldn't mind going to battle for a few more seasons with this roster as it is and I don't see why it can't evolve into a top playoff team unless we're already counting out Len and Plumlee.

Tucker isn't the ideal small forward but he just seems to be so pivotal for this team. Everyone else seems to feed off his energy and they all talk about his leadership (part respect, part fear). I'm not really sure that we improve by replacing him with your typical high scoring wing. Some times I think he really should just be a backup but then I watch him frustrate stars such as Durant and Harden and I'm not so sure anymore.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Because the other options have been even worse.
Worse than what?
Let him languish at the end of the bench . . . or use him at two key positions -- starting PF and backup C, which the Suns have not veered from all season long?

If we have to eat the remainder of his contract, I say cut him loose rather than tie up two important positions ineffectively. Markieff as starting PF and even Randolph as backup C would be an improvement.

I know, Frye spreads the floor. But it won't take long for the rest of the NBA to pick up on the Lakers' defense of disregarding him in 3-point land.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Worse than what?

Let him languish at the end of the bench . . . or use him at two key positions -- starting PF and backup C, which the Suns have not veered from all season long?

If we have to eat the remainder of his contract, I say cut him loose rather than tie up two important positions ineffectively. Markieff as starting PF and even Randolph as backup C would be an improvement.

I know, Frye spreads the floor. But it won't take long for the rest of the NBA to pick up on the Lakers' defense of disregarding him in 3-point land.

Frye is a good player to have on your roster. Put him in, give him two shots. If he hits them, keep him in, and if he misses, send him back to the bench.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One other thing that's gone a little unnoticed playoff wise is that Indy's pick looks better then we expected a
Couple months ago when they looked like they'd get the best record. Now, it looks like it'll be 25 instead of thirty. Not a huge difference, but there's a difference there. So, assuming we don't make the playoffs we'll get the 14th, 17th and 25th pick in a good draft.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If we have to eat the remainder of his contract, I say cut him loose rather than tie up two important positions ineffectively.

A case could be made for that, but only if the coaching staff is committed to playing the young guys, even if they aren't ready and the strategy would cost the team wins. For example, Len has disappeared during this playoff push, and Plumlee -- who really isn't bad -- still has a hard time seeing the floor in crunch time.

Markieff as starting PF and even Randolph as backup C would be an improvement.

I'll give you Morris, but that's ridiculous about Randolph. You can't be a single-issue voter. Frye has obvious weaknesses, which we hardly need to get into, but he's a better player than Randolph.

I know, Frye spreads the floor.

It's not only that. At times, he plays decent defense in the paint -- not "good" by the standards of a real PF, but certainly more than you'd get by shoehorning Tucker into that role. True, it's inconsistent, as is everything about Frye's game. I don't see him as only a floor-spreader; it's just that if he's missing from the outside, all of the other weaknesses in his game get magnified.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Of course Frye will pick up his option. Nobody else is going to pay him half of what he is currently making. Suns are stuck with Frye for another year.

Having said that, he will be an expiring contract, so he might be useful for a potential "picks, decent player, expiring contract for a good player under contract for another two years" type of a trade.
I'm hoping we can deal Frye + something else to Houston for Asik. Rockets may want to pair Dwight with a poor man's Ryan Anderson type guy.

We get our rebounding machine in Asik. I have so much respect for Asik's defense and rebounding. I think it makes a much better team with a guy like him in the middle even though he provides little to nothing on the offensive end.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm hoping we can deal Frye + something else to Houston for Asik. Rockets may want to pair Dwight with a poor man's Ryan Anderson type guy.

We get our rebounding machine in Asik. I have so much respect for Asik's defense and rebounding. I think it makes a much better team with a guy like him in the middle even though he provides little to nothing on the offensive end.

I'd rather let Plumlee and Len develop. I don't think Asik brings much more to the table than Plumlee does. When you give Plumlee minutes, he gets you a double-double, just like Asik, and Plumlee will keep improving as he has solid fundamentals.

I'd rather go after a PF than a Center.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd rather let Plumlee and Len develop. I don't think Asik brings much more to the table than Plumlee does. When you give Plumlee minutes, he gets you a double-double, just like Asik, and Plumlee will keep improving as he has solid fundamentals.

I'd rather go after a PF than a Center.

Agreed. I think we need to target a starting power forward and then perhaps a veteran backup center. One that can fill in where needed but sit for several games without being a disruption so that Plumlee and Len can get the court time they need to develop. We could go into next season with our current centers intact but it makes no sense to not shore up the power forward spot given the struggles of the past two months.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Agreed. I think we need to target a starting power forward and then perhaps a veteran backup center. One that can fill in where needed but sit for several games without being a disruption so that Plumlee and Len can get the court time they need to develop. We could go into next season with our current centers intact but it makes no sense to not shore up the power forward spot given the struggles of the past two months.

You basically described Randolph. He might be that guy if given more time to work with the team.

I also think PF is our most glaring need. I'm not stupid enough to think we can get an All Star caliber player but I do think they might be able to acquire a big defensive rebounding kind of guy. This would help keep us from getting sand kicked in our face by the Grizzlys of the world.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You basically described Randolph. He might be that guy if given more time to work with the team.

I also think PF is our most glaring need. I'm not stupid enough to think we can get an All Star caliber player but I do think they might be able to acquire a big defensive rebounding kind of guy. This would help keep us from getting sand kicked in our face by the Grizzlys of the world.

Why not an all-star caliber player. Our starting guard positions are good. With Green, Ish, and the twins coming off the bench, we are good there. The center position has some young promise that we need to develop. It might not work, but this is not the time to address it. So, we really only need a starting pf. One player. We have LOTS of assets to go toward that acquisition.

3 first round picks this year
2 or 3 next year
Max FA money
Some young trade pieces
A stretch 4 on a one year deal

I don't know, it seems you ought to be able to get an all-star caliber pf with that cache.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
3 first round picks this year
2 or 3 next year
Max FA money
Some young trade pieces
A stretch 4 on a one year deal

I don't know, it seems you ought to be able to get an all-star caliber pf with that cache.

If his team wants to move him, maybe. The picks are all mid-to-low, and the "young trade pieces" are either players the Suns want to keep or ones that don't have much value. So the financial flexibility allowed by the cap space plus possibly including Frye's contract is the key element.

I'm guessing Love will be available. The Suns could make a competitive offer for him. The problem is that his bad defense scares me.

If Memphis crashes out of the playoffs, they might shop Randolph, but he'd be a poor fit in Phoenix. (He could also opt out this summer, but that seems unlikely.)

Aldridge would be the prize, but it's unlikely he's going anywhere. Forget about Davis or Griffin. I'm not sold on Monroe.

An All-Star PF is probably the most difficult personnel acquisition in the league. Teams lucky enough to get them don't let them go.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I recently read an article about Faried being possibly available. He's not an All-Star, but he's a great fit for the team. He's still on his rookie contract though so it's tough to equalize value for him, but for sh!ts and giggles, who would say no to Bledsoe for Faried + NYK's draft pick?

I don't actually think Denver wants/needs another undersized combo PG/SG with Lawson/Foye but I'm sure they'd think about it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently read an article about Faried being possibly available. He's not an All-Star, but he's a great fit for the team. He's still on his rookie contract though so it's tough to equalize value for him, but for sh!ts and giggles, who would say no to Bledsoe for Faried + NYK's draft pick?

i would.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
******* those LA losses. we'd be in such a better position right now if we split those games. That Laker loss is the real killer. That team is AWFUL.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
for sh!ts and giggles, who would say no to Bledsoe for Faried + NYK's draft pick?

That's a tough call. The Knicks' pick is currently at #12, so that would give the Suns #12, #14, and #17 if things hold the way they are. Finding a star in that range of the draft is a lot easier if you get three cracks at it. Still, if healthy, Bledsoe has more value than Faried and that pick. I like Faried, but he's undersized and his numbers have already leveled off.

I don't actually think Denver wants/needs another undersized combo PG/SG with Lawson/Foye but I'm sure they'd think about it.

I'm not sure they would. They want to move Faried, apparently, but Bledsoe isn't a good fit for them.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
******* those LA losses. we'd be in such a better position right now if we split those games. That Laker loss is the real killer. That team is AWFUL.

The Lakers loss was also a bit of a wakeup call. I honestly don't think they'd beat OKC if not for that loss.

The big games are going to be those head to head matchups with DAL and MEM. Those games will decide the last 2 playoff spots.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The big games are going to be those head to head matchups with DAL and MEM. Those games will decide the last 2 playoff spots.

The Suns most likely need to finish 3-2 even if they win both of those. The first hurdle is winning in New Orleans tomorrow night.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

that is a horrible horrible trade for us.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a tough call. The Knicks' pick is currently at #12, so that would give the Suns #12, #14, and #17 if things hold the way they are. Finding a star in that range of the draft is a lot easier if you get three cracks at it. Still, if healthy, Bledsoe has more value than Faried and that pick. I like Faried, but he's undersized and his numbers have already leveled off.

I'm not sure they would. They want to move Faried, apparently, but Bledsoe isn't a good fit for them.

Bledsoe is the best trade piece we have, most likely. I want to keep him, but would consider moving him for the right piece. How about the Morris twins plus the Wash pick for Faried and #12?

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
How about the Morris twins plus the Wash pick for Faried and #12?

I don't think that makes the Suns better. Markieff is comparable to Faried now in his overall impact, and his ceiling is probably higher because he can do a wider range of things. He'll never have Faried's hustle and nose for action, but Faried hasn't been able to parlay that into a major role, and it's looking less likely that he'll be able to.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake