NBA West Playoffs!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want to sound negative but the Suns are not ready for the playoffs. Their interest would be better served in the lottery.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
I don't want to sound negative but the Suns are not ready for the playoffs. Their interest would be better served in the lottery.

I don't think there is much advantage to being in the lottery as the last team in. I'd rather have a few more games of Suns basketball and get our young guys some playoff experience than move up from the 15th pick to the 14th pick and a less than 1/50 chance of moving up.

The odds of us moving on in the playoffs are pretty slim, but not much worse than our odds of getting a top 3 pick in the lottery.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think there is much advantage to being in the lottery as the last team in. I'd rather have a few more games of Suns basketball and get our young guys some playoff experience than move up from the 15th pick to the 14th pick and a less than 1/50 chance of moving up.

The odds of us moving on in the playoffs are pretty slim, but not much worse than our odds of getting a top 3 pick in the lottery.

That's not how it works. They move from roughly the 20th pick to the 14th. If it was just 15 to 14 no one here would see any consolation in the lottery. Moving up 6 spots is a big deal in this draft. It also makes the pick much more valuable in trade.

Hey, then there is the 1% chance of landing in the top 3 AND getting the Minny pick as a result (we would jump Minny, pushing their pick down to 14 and sending it to us).

I am still rooting for them to make the playoffs though.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I understand your feelings. This black cloud started to creep over me after the Lakers game. However, moving up in the draft, no matter how small, may land the Suns a better pick.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
That's not how it works. They move from roughly the 20th pick to the 14th. If it was just 15 to 14 no one here would see any consolation in the lottery. Moving up 6 spots is a big deal in this draft. It also makes the pick much more valuable in trade.

Hey, then there is the 1% chance of landing in the top 3 AND getting the Minny pick as a result (we would jump Minny, pushing their pick down to 14 and sending it to us).

I had somehow pushed the ineptitude of the Eastern Conference to the back of my mind and did not think about all the teams with worse records that we jump past in the draft by being in the lottery. I can see the point of hoping to miss the playoffs, now. But I still can't bring myself to hope the Suns lose.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I understand your feelings. This black cloud started to creep over me after the Lakers game. However, moving up in the draft, no matter how small, may land the Suns a better pick.

No black cloud for me. This has been a tremendous year to be a Suns fan AFAIC. That Lakers team that beat us isn't all that different from us. A bunch of castoffs busting their butt and playing over their heads on some nights. We aren't the only team this season that took them lightly and came out on the wrong side of the score.

BTW, I took a look at the schedules around the all star game and it looked obvious to me that we were going to miss the playoffs. We've actually done better against our schedule of late than I expected but the worst is yet to come. I think we're getting the best that we could hope for. A late season playoff race will be great experience for the younger players and the 14th draft spot beats the heck out of drafting around 20th.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
That Lakers team that beat us isn't all that different from us. A bunch of castoffs busting their butt and playing over their heads on some nights.

That's correct, and it's all the more reason not to be too cheery about the Suns' long-term prospects. The Lakers are adding Kobe Bryant and a top-five pick this summer. Who are the Suns adding?

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers are adding Kobe Bryant and a top-five pick this summer. Who are the Suns adding?

We have no idea at this point but with McDonough at the helm, it'll be something significant.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's correct, and it's all the more reason not to be too cheery about the Suns' long-term prospects. The Lakers are adding Kobe Bryant and a top-five pick this summer. Who are the Suns adding?

As long as it's not a broken-down, 24 million dollar a year former superstar I figure we can find something to be cheery about.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as it's not a broken-down, 24 million dollar a year former superstar I figure we can find something to be cheery about.

Seriously...the Lakers are in a better position then us? Because they're getting the shell of Kobe Bryant and likely the 6th pick in a 5 player draft?

I think Eric's longstanding Laker superiority complex is getting the better of him again. That team is a mess with no vision for the future.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Seriously...the Lakers are in a better position then us? Because they're getting the shell of Kobe Bryant and likely the 6th pick in a 5 player draft?

I think Eric's longstanding Laker superiority complex is getting the better of him again. That team is a mess with no vision for the future.

There's no denying the Lakers have been a terrific organization through the years but they had a lot of things in their favor that aren't really there any more. Kids don't grow up fantasizing about being Kobe like they did with Magic. LA (Hollywood, Beverly Hills etc.) no longer holds the same allure it did in the past, that draw has shifted to South Beach. They are approaching their first real re-build without the two most important Jerry's in NBA history. The only thing they have going for them is Phil Jackson. Oh, wait.

Mini-Buss and Kuppy might figure out how to turn this franchise back into the winner it used to be but it's an uphill climb and far more of a long-shot than a lot of Lakers fans expect or will accept. Unless they have an under-the-table agreement to acquire someone like Anthony Davis I think they're going to have to do it the old-fashioned way like the rest of the league with no guarantee they'll ever again reach the top (the short "ever")

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would be awesome I think for the suns to make the playoff's who knows maybe we could pull an upset the suns are a high scoring team and I think could compete well against the spurs if we were to get them in the 1st round, I really don't like our odd's against the clippers though we just don't have much luck vs them I hate Griffin.... Big game toward's the playoff push tonight vs the Blazers.... Come on Suns. I would just like to see how our backcourt of Dragic and Bledsoe does in playoff situation.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

The salary doesn't matter, because the Lakers have unlimited funds. They won't contend next year, but I'd lay at least even money that they'll finish with a better record than the Suns.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The salary doesn't matter, because the Lakers have unlimited funds. They won't contend next year, but I'd lay at least even money that they'll finish with a better record than the Suns.

They don't have unlimited funds even in the non-exact way I'm sure you meant. They might have deeper pockets than most teams but even the Lakers are concerned about costs. The repeater tax will make it unwise for even the richest franchises to continue running well above the luxury level. No way are the Lakers going to be willing to pay perhaps as much or more in penalties as they do in salaries. Their contract with Time Warner has them turning over every stone in an effort to quickly become relevant but they've already acknowledged their concerns about the repeater tax and their intention to build around those constraints.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That's an interesting notion. I would take you up on that except that they are the Lakers and always seem to find a silver lining. Here are some reasons why I am not so sure about them being better than the Suns.

1. While Kobe is coming back, he is older and seems alot slower and less explosive.

2. They do not seem to be the free agent destination that everyone thinks. They couldn't keep Dwight. Kobe's alpha-dog personna seems to keep other alpha free agents away. At least, I am hoping this will be the case.

3. Steve Nash will just complicate things.

4. They still are likely to have injury issues.

5. They will likely have a new coach and need to get used to a new system.

6. Since Dr. Buss died, that front office seems to be in disarray.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i'll take that bet. what are the terms?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No black cloud for me. This has been a tremendous year to be a Suns fan AFAIC. That Lakers team that beat us isn't all that different from us. A bunch of castoffs busting their butt and playing over their heads on some nights. We aren't the only team this season that took them lightly and came out on the wrong side of the score.

BTW, I took a look at the schedules around the all star game and it looked obvious to me that we were going to miss the playoffs. We've actually done better against our schedule of late than I expected but the worst is yet to come. I think we're getting the best that we could hope for. A late season playoff race will be great experience for the younger players and the 14th draft spot beats the heck out of drafting around 20th.

I disagree the Suns are like the Lakers, at least at the moment. The Suns are a team on the rise and the Lakers are a team that may try to perpetuate mediocrity by trying to build around Kobe or drop into rebuild mode.

I would be genuinely depressed if I were a Lakers fan. Kobe is not getting any younger and I see Gasol leaving the Lakers after the season with D'Antoni likely remaining. I don't think Gasol is done, I just think he wants to leave the Lakers. They don't have much talent around Kobe (even with a good draft pick) unless the Lakers pull a rabbit out of their hat in free agency which is always a possibility.

The black cloud to which I was referring was the reality the Suns could not come up with a necessary win against a below average Lakers team that would have put them in better standing in the playoff race. This loss just told me the the Suns are not ready for the playoffs and the loss to the Clippers at home just confirmed it. I will still root for the Suns in their remaining games but down deep I will know the Suns will be better off if they do not make the playoffs. It is sort of a win-win for me whether the Suns win or lose.

In regards to the Suns future, I am very high on the Suns since McDonough became GM. I think they have laid the foundation to build upon with a young team to get better and better.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree the Suns are like the Lakers, at least at the moment. The Suns are a team on the rise and the Lakers are a team that may try to perpetuate mediocrity by trying to build around Kobe or drop into rebuild mode.

I would be genuinely depressed if I were a Lakers fan. Kobe is not getting any younger and I see Gasol leaving the Lakers after the season with D'Antoni likely remaining. I don't think Gasol is done, I just think he wants to leave the Lakers. They don't have much talent around Kobe (even with a good draft pick) unless the Lakers pull a rabbit out of their hat in free agency which is always a possibility.

DA is goner in Hell A. Trust me on that. Kobe doesn't want him, Pau doesn't want him and there will probably be riots in the streets if he's not fired.

But even if Kobe comes back, Pau might still be gone and if he's not, a team of broken down Kobe and an aging Gasol and scrubs isn't going to contend for much of anything but the 10 seed. Add in the fact that reports in LA say the Lakers won't stretch provision Nash, keeping his 9 million on the books and they won't have much cap room to add anyone.

they're gunning for summer of 2015, whether Kobe likes it or not. It's going to be awesome watching how much he hates their plan and the effect it has on the team he's playing on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DA is goner in Hell A. Trust me on that. Kobe doesn't want him, Pau doesn't want him and there will probably be riots in the streets if he's not fired.

But even if Kobe comes back, Pau might still be gone and if he's not, a team of broken down Kobe and an aging Gasol and scrubs isn't going to contend for much of anything but the 10 seed. Add in the fact that reports in LA say the Lakers won't stretch provision Nash, keeping his 9 million on the books and they won't have much cap room to add anyone.

they're gunning for summer of 2015, whether Kobe likes it or not. It's going to be awesome watching how much he hates their plan and the effect it has on the team he's playing on.

Do you really think the Lakers can continue to ignore Kobe? Maybe, since they apparently chose D'Antoni over Phil Jackson. However, I don't think Kobe will take another season of being brutally bad.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you really think the Lakers can continue to ignore Kobe? Maybe, since they apparently chose D'Antoni over Phil Jackson. However, I don't think Kobe will take another season of being brutally bad.

i think they'll make some stupid kind of move this off-season...that will help them a little in the short-run, but hurt them long-term.

as was said in Gung-Ho...they between a rock and a hard-on.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
6. Since Dr. Buss died, that front office seems to be in disarray.
As a basketball fan, I wonder if Magic Johnson could convince the Buss offspring to sell the Lakers, divest himself of Dodger ownership and run the Lakers for their own good.

And give D'Antoni a 1-way ticket to coach back in Italy. As they used to say about the Italian army, you don't retreat. You advance to the rear. :)

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We'd be in the sixth spot if we dumped both LA teams.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lakers are a trainwreck. They're in worse shape than we were last year and they do not have the stockpile of draft picks to help them fix the problem. I dont think this is a one year fix for them and I doubt they blow their wad this off season. They've got cap space to sign a max player but who is out there to sign? They are not getting LeBron, I would have pegged them to land Melo but that is probably out the window with Phil Jackson being in New York.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just realized that SAS will be playing us on the 2nd night of a back to back.

So there's a good possibility that Duncan and Parker won't play and that maybe they will be a little exhausted from the game the previous day against Dallas.

Ironically, we play Dallas the next day without any rest.

Very, very interesting.