New Boris?

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is taken from a Dan Bickley article:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/0901bickley0902.html

Then there's the progress of Diaw, who became a whipping boy in the Valley last season for his weight gain and passive play.

But just as a key role on his national team helped Barbosa soar to new heights, there are reports that Diaw has become a different player this summer.

Word is, he has lost 10 pounds.

Even more impressive, he wanted to play for his country so badly that he agreed to waive $10 million of his $45 million contract if he gets hurt (France is covering the rest with an insurance policy), thereby pacifying Suns owner Robert Sarver.

"His transformation is amazing," D'Antoni said of Diaw. "He's gone from a guy trying to quietly fit in (with the Suns) to a guy carrying his country on his back."

Boris has to step up big time for the Suns to be a success. This has to be encouraging, but only time will tell.

Then there's Stoudemire, who has shown an exemplary work ethic this summer and a new ability to drain three-point shots, even if the latter makes D'Antoni cringe just a little.

"He knows that defense and rebounding is where he has to go," D'Antoni said. "That's what's going to win him a MVP (trophy), and that's what's going to win us a championship."

Same goes for Boris. Both of these guys have to really step up their defense and rebounding.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boris has the potential to be a very, very good defender at the 3, 4, and 5 positions. With Raja and DJ, as well as Shawn, we have the potential to put a pretty good defensive rotation on the floor for a few minutes. If Amare's D improves, it would be huge.

Of course, according the testimony of NBA refs, you have to convince the refs that you really can play D, BEFORE you step on the court, otherwise they will assume you can't and blow the whistle accordingly.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
IMHO, the biggest challenge for Boris is strength. Guys who can get backed down in the post tend to get a lot of calls against them because it forces them to do a lot of reaching.

Strength isn't bulk. Camby isn't much heavier than Diaw and is a lot taller. But Camby is wirey and very strong for his bulk. But there is no doubt that a player has to have good positioning, technique, and anticipation if on the small side.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Even more impressive, he wanted to play for his country so badly that he agreed to waive $10 million of his $45 million contract if he gets hurt (France is covering the rest with an insurance policy), thereby pacifying Suns owner Robert Sarver.

Nobody can ever say Sarver isn't a cheap skate.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nene got injured yesterday and is expected to be out for six weeks. It is part of the process and about all an owner can do is minimize any financial loss.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Nobody can ever say Sarver isn't a cheap skate.

Really? Not wanting to pay $10,000,000 to a man who can't play for you makes you a cheapskate?

It's one thing if Boris got injured while playing for the Suns. Sarver certainly won't pay that much for Boris to play for France. Would you?

You think he became as rich as he is by giving his money away?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Really? Not wanting to pay $10,000,000 to a man who can't play for you makes you a cheapskate?

It's one thing if Boris got injured while playing for the Suns. Sarver certainly won't pay that much for Boris to play for France. Would you?

Doesn't matter, this is just more fuel on the proverbial fire that says Robert Sarver is the cheapest man in sports.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Totally agree. Sarver is 100% correct here. An incompetent business man would think otherwise.

cly2tw

Reaction score
IMHO, the biggest challenge for Boris is strength. Guys who can get backed down in the post tend to get a lot of calls against them because it forces them to do a lot of reaching.

Strength isn't bulk. Camby isn't much heavier than Diaw and is a lot taller. But Camby is wirey and very strong for his bulk. But there is no doubt that a player has to have good positioning, technique, and anticipation if on the small side.

That's true. Rodman used to be listed at 220 but he was very strong. Boris was kind of overweight the way he moved around on the court but he couldn't defend the post with that weight. So, it's better for him to lose some weight to gain both mobility and strength back.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. Sarver is 100% correct here. An incompetent business man would think otherwise.

No kidding. Marc Cuban was the first guy to do this, and nobody ever accuses him of being cheap for it. It would be flat out stupid not to have some sort of coverage, especially with a player like Diaw with a history of back problems.

Joe Mama

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
"He knows that defense and rebounding is where he has to go," D'Antoni said. "That's what's going to win him a MVP (trophy), and that's what's going to win us a championship."

A big guy that can drain 3s from the top of the circle is in excelent position to get back on defence and rebound. Amare only gets a couple of offensive boards a game anyway.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A big guy that can drain 3s from the top of the circle is in excelent position to get back on defence and rebound. Amare only gets a couple of offensive boards a game anyway.

Last season Amare shot 72 of 153 from mid range for a very good 47.1%. But as good as that is, opponents played off of him because inside he hit 462 of 713 inside for 64.6% (not to mention taking 585 foul shots).

Amare's mid range shots were usually around 5 steps inside the arc. If he could extend his range to the three point arc without a huge drop in percentage, opponents would be forced to come out to defend him. This would open up the lane and radically alter how teams play the Suns.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
Boris also had most turnovers for France. Thou it's only 3 - it was almost half of all the teams turnovers. France had 7.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://www.eurobasket2007.org/en/ci...id_jJ4todbAJ52rrRzAXDWhr2.articleMode_on.html

03 September 2007​
FIBAEurope.com caught up with France forward and Phoenix Suns superstar Boris Diaw for 24 seconds.
Here's what he had to say about his friendship with Tony Parker, his love of pasta and how he would like to be remembered.

FIBAEurope.com: What was your most embarrasing moment on the court?
Diaw: I haven't had that many but probably throwing an airball at the free-throw line, that was definitely embarrasing.

FIBAEurope.com: Who was your idol growing up?
Diaw: Growing up, the Lakers were my favorite team. I wanted to be like Magic, and then all of a sudden playing video games, I could play as him and control him. It was fantastic.

FIBAEurope.com: Have you got any pre-game rituals?
Diaw: Although I am superstitious I don't have any pre-game rituals. I just take a nap and go to the game. Having said that I always eat pasta, I love pasta.
You must be registered for see images
Diaw's idol growing up

was Magic JohnsonFIBAEurope.com: Who is the best player you have come across?
Diaw: Steve Nash is the best player I have come across on the court. His moves, his game is incredible. He is a very difficult player to stop.

FIBAEurope.com: What do you do in your spare time?
Diaw: I usually watch films and play video games.

FIBAEurope.com: What is your favourite film and your top actors?
Diaw: I really enjoyed the film "Braveheart". I like Mel Gibson, Denzel Washington and Catherine Zeta Jones.

FIBAEurope.com: What does basketball mean to you?
Diaw: Basketball is my life, I don't see my life without it. It means a lot to me.

FIBAEurope.com: How would you like to be remembered in the sport?
Diaw: I would like to be remembered as a team player above all. I don't consider myself a star.

FIBAEurope.com: How special was it to be the best man at Tony Parker's wedding this summer?
Diaw: Tony is my best friend. I've known him for a long time as we went to the same high school. It was very special to be present at his wedding. It was a very important day for him and I was honoured to be a part of that, to see him so happy made me happy.

FIBAEurope.com: Your mother played basketball in the French second division when you were young, does she give you any tips?
Diaw: She didn't give me any tips, she left that to the coaches. She just gives me motherly advice.

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
I like how Diaw is listed throughout the sports world as a C / F/ G.

Depending on what site or newspaper you come across, he is listed as a different position in every one of them.

ESPN has him as a Center. CBS has him as a SF. RealGM still has him as a Guard. Etc...

This tells u something about the player: Either he is extremely talented or is still trying to adjust his game.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully he is in great shape and ready to prove he is worth his contract this season, as that would be huge to the Suns success!

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
France Beats Italy 69-62

http://www.eurobasket2007.org/en/ci...ANOrUf9le2.season_2007.gameID_5170-D-4-2.html

04 September 2007
Parker Carries France To Victory
Tony Parker poured in a game-high 36 points to give unbeaten France (2-0)a 69-62 triumph over Italy (0-2)

With the score at 60-60 with three minutes remaining, Les Bleus went on a 9-0 run, with Parker scoring four points in that game-winning surge.
He finished 12 of 22 (55%) from the field, grabbed three rebounds and dished out two assists.

"I felt I had to be aggressive," said Parker."It’s just basketball, it comes and it happens. Every game is going to be different and I don't think I need to score 30 points every time because the French team is better than that. We can all play together and tomorrow it will be a different game.

"We have to improve on our offense but as long as our defense works we can win games."

Belinelli finished with 15 points
but it wasn't enoughAndrea Bargnani, who led Italy in scoring with 16 points, put his terrible start to EuroBasket 2007 quickly behind him.

He scored the first seven points of the game, while it took France five minutes before they scored a point and only when Parker buried a three-pointer.
Thanks to their guard, who scored 13 points, France kept pace and only trailed 20-17 at the end of the first quarter.

A one-handed dunk by Boris Diaw tied the game at 22-22 midwway through the second period.

But Italy kept their noses in front as Bargnani continued to take care of the scoring. They went on a 6-0 run late in the period to take a 33-24 lead, with Massimo Bulleri adding four points in that surge.
Carlo Recalcati's men went into the break with a 36-31 advantage, with Bargnani leading the way with 13. Parker had 15 for Les Bleus

France stepped up their defense and limited Italy to just five points in the first eight minutes of the second half as they used a 18-5 run to take a 49-41 lead, with Parker accounting for 12 points in that surge.

Marco Belinelli's two-handed dunk allowed Italy to go into the last quarter trailing by only four, 51-47.

Stefano Mancinelli scored five consecutive points at the start of the final frame to get the Azzurris back in front, 52-51.

The teams then exchanged the lead before France pulled away to seal the win.

"I am partly satisfied because my team showed an improvement with respect to yesterday's game (69-68) defeat to Slovenia)," admitted Recalcati.

"However, I am disappointed with the result and with the fact that my team lost its character when it mattered. Parker made the difference."
Italy were a mere six of 13 (46%) at the free throw line while France were 12 of 16 (75%).

France outrebounded Italy 40-31.

Box Score

http://www.eurobasket2007.org/en/ci...ANOrUf9le2.season_2007.gameID_5170-D-4-2.html

Boris shot better from the field, going 4 of 5 for 2 (missed only three point shot) and grabbed 7 rebounds in 32 minutes. It appears Boris started ahead of Turiaf who played only 12 minutes.

This was a big game for the French. With both Italy and Poland without wins, it is certain that France will get into the next round. Slovenia beat Italy by one point, so tonight's game promises to be interesting.

One odd thing about the game with Italy was that France had only 5 assists (two by Parker and none by Boris) and Italy just 8. I've heard the Euro's are more strict about giving credit for assists, but this is ridiculous.

Last edited:

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
One odd thing about the game with Italy was that France had only 5 assists (two by Parker and none by Boris) and Italy just 8. I've heard the Euro's are more strict about giving credit for assists, but this is ridiculous.

It is much harder than in the NBA or even in the French league to get credit for an assist (teams average something like 10 assist a game).
You can also note that the teams don't score much.

Against Italy Parker scored 36 pts creating about 0 assist opportunities for all this point. His teammates only scored 14 FG (13 2pt / 1 3pt).
Kirskay and Diaw (combined 9 FG ) don't shoot immediatly when they receive the ball.
Our 2 shooters (Diawara/Ferchaud) combined a 0 FG.
In such conditions, the 5 assist total is not surprising.

If France wants to go far in this Euro they will have to have a better scoring balance. Against Greece or Spain, Parker will not be able to repeat such games.

After a Slow start Diaw had a good game and was very active on defense. To go with his 9 pts / 7 rebds he had a game winning block in the last minute. But he didn't had many opportunities to create for others with Parker on fire and not sharing the ball much.

Side note :
Turiaf was huge on defense in his 12 minutes of actions. He read the game very well and seems to be always were he should be. He had a couples of impressive blocks (but also a stupid goaltending). He received only credit for one block for other French players made fouls on these plays. He also looked very active on the board. Even if he is a bit undersized, I would like to see him in Phoenix.

Last edited:
OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://www.eurobasket2007.org/en/ci...id_y76uE4nbGV6DXF7MiNEF10.articleMode_on.html

France and Slovenia have already assured themselves a place in the qualifying round having won their two opening games but they will battle for top spot in Group D when they meet tonight.
Ales Pipan's men come into the tie in confident mood after triumphs against Italy and Poland.
However, they will face their biggest test yet when they take on Tony Parker & Co.
Lakovic faces a big
challenge against Parker

Key Match-up: Parker versus Jaka Lakovic. Parker is the focal point of the French offense so any team that takes on Les Bleus must try to limit the damage caused by the NBA superstar. Lakovic has already shown that he is the man for the big occasions by hitting a buzzer-beating three-pointer to defeat Italy in the opening game but containing Parker will be his biggest challenge for him this summer.

Key stats: Parker has the green light to put up three-pointers but Slovenia should not make the mistake of leaving either Boris Diaw or Tariq Kirksay open because they have proved they can also hit from long-range. The battle of the boards will be really intense with both sides having out-rebounded their opponents in past games. The reasons these two teams have been successful so far is down to the fact that they have rebounded the ball so well.

X-Factor: Over-reliance in Parker is the main concern for France coach Claude Bergaud who hopes his team can have a balanced scoring and a better sharing of the ball.

Speaking out: "Slovenia are a team that if they have an inspiring day they can do a lot of damage with their long-range shooting." - Parker.

”We will try to play a very good game, we can improve our game a lot. France have great players like Tony Parker and Boris Diaw. With Tony, we can risk a little bit to try to limit him but he was so hot this year it will be a big challenge for us." - Erazem Lorbek.

Reaction score
Of course parker and diaw are big. They are the kobes of their team, shoot, look good and forget the rest of the team. Everyone else on their respective teams is not good enough for the NBA.