New Campaign- Draft JJ Redick

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have thrown in the towell on Jarrett Jack. Redick plays the 2 but looks like he could be trained to run the point. Hopefully he'll jump into the draft this summer.

Last edited:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
I have thrown in the towell on Jarrett Jack. Redick plays the 2 but looks like he could be trained to run the point. Hopefully he'll jump into the draft this summer.

i like redick but he seems like the type who will stay in college for all 4 years.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like Reddick, but I don't think he's a PG at all. He's a great catch & shoot guy and he's good at coming off screens and hitting the outside jumper. He could be awesome with Nash getting him wide open 3's. He could also turn into another Trajan Langdon.......who was also a great 3pt shooter in college that wasn't that athletic.

Last edited:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
I like Reddick, but I don't think he's a PG at all. He's a great catch & shoot guy and he's good at coming off screens and hitting the outside jumper. He could be awesome with Nash getting him wide open 3's. He could also turn into another Trajan Langdon.......who was also a great 3pt shooter in college that wasn't that athletic.

Sounds like another Casey Jacobsen? Not that thats a bad thing.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
Sounds like another Casey Jacobsen?

I was wondering too if Jacobsen could be a 1st round pick why couldn't be Redick too?
He is a better shooter and has a more fluid movement than Jacobsen was/has.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd say he's a better shooter than Casey (although somewhat streaky) but a worse defensive player. He also is really light (maybe 180-190lbs) so he would struggle trying to guard most SG's.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Redick might want to stay another year and learn PG position because if he can play the Point - he could make a lot of $$ :) - at PG he'd have 6'3-6'4 size, shoot better than everybody in Draft, and create for others... he would rebound well at the Point (an area at SG, might not be too great at).

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The recent success of some Duke players should not overshadow the long standing problem of Duke guys looking better because of their team and system.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's very true that the Duke system plays team ball, which is lacking in the NBA. Duke guys would probably fit in very well on the Suns, but struggle on teams that run more isolation plays. I don't know if it's necessarily the Duke system that's the problem or that the system makes average players look better than they are. There are some very successful players that came out of Duke recently: Grant Hill, Brand, Maggette, Battier, Jay Williams pre-accident and even Laettner has been decent.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Also Coloradosun,

How do you just get over a player that fast? You were in love with Jack now all of the sudden you don't like him?

OP
OP
C

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
binkar said:
Also Coloradosun,

How do you just get over a player that fast? You were in love with Jack now all of the sudden you don't like him?

I was first "captivated" by Jack in GT run to the final four last spring. I was impressed with how he lead the team. I am beginning to believe he is a player that does not bring it every game and that is important in the Suns system. I still like his skills but question his motivation. I have not seen him play that much but was looking at his stats and that is a dangerous way to analyze his play.

Redick has had something to prove this year and I think he is doing it. I did watch the GT/Duke game yesterday and what I saw from Redick surpassed what I saw from Jack even though JJ does not play the point. Redick took the ball into the lane several times and either went up strong or kicked it out, exactly what Nash does. Add his shooting and I think you have a good understudy to Nash. Jack would go into the lane and get lost or confused. I think Redick could become a point guard because of his ball handling, passing and court vision. For some reason I thought Nash was 6'1" but I just realized he is 6'3", Redick is 6'4" and may be too small for playing the 2.

I would like to see Diener play some more but I do believe he is carrying that team just like Nash carried Santa Clara.

Both of these guys seem to have high BB IQ's and that is what the Suns need to keep the offense jelling. Barbosa just does not have the court sense these guys have and last night against NYK had 3 TO's in 12 minutes.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
hcsilla said:
I was wondering too if Jacobsen could be a 1st round pick why couldn't be Redick too?
He is a better shooter and has a more fluid movement than Jacobsen was/has.

he's light and short. i think he'll prolly measure out to only 6'2.

i think steve kerr is prolly a better comparison.

i like redick. dude just has incredible shooting talents. better than jacobsen.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I didn't mean Jacobsen as a good comparison to Redick. I agree that Kerr is probably a better one.
My point was if Jacobsen could be a 1st rounder (talent wise) Redick can make the 1st round too.

OP
OP
C

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
hcsilla said:
I didn't mean Jacobsen as a good comparison to Redick. I agree that Kerr is probably a better one.
My point was if Jacobsen could be a 1st rounder (talent wise) Redick can make the 1st round too.

Redick is a better athlete than Kerr but just as good as shooter. I would say he is more like Hornacek, who at times ran the point for the Suns.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
hcsilla said:

ah, i see your point. the only reason i could see redick falling into round 2 is because of his lack of measurables. as i said before, i think he'll measure in at 6'2, and he's neither fast nor a leaper. at least casey was a legit 6'5 or 6'6.

rickrude

Reaction score
This is a terrible idea. If we want to snag a lights-out shooter, why wouldn't we draft salim stoudamire?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
rickrude said:
This is a terrible idea. If we want to snag a lights-out shooter, why wouldn't we draft salim stoudamire?

redick is a better shooter. he also has more size. who would you prefer on your team, steve kerr or eddie house? i'd take kerr. and i think that's who the two compare with most.

rickrude

Reaction score
I would like to see some reasoning in saying that Redick is a better shooter when Salim has better field goal percentage and three point percentage is his career. We also know that Arizona guards have fared much better in the NBA than Duke guards. If a three inch size differential is such a problem, then I think Salim more than makes up for it with his superior leaping ability.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
rickrude said:
I would like to see some reasoning in saying that Redick is a better shooter when Salim has better field goal percentage and three point percentage is his career. We also know that Arizona guards have fared much better in the NBA than Duke guards. If a three inch size differential is such a problem, then I think Salim more than makes up for it with his superior leaping ability.

Salim is a great talent but very inconsistent.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
redick is a better shooter. he also has more size. who would you prefer on your team, steve kerr or eddie house? i'd take kerr. and i think that's who the two compare with most.
Sounds like someone has watched too much ESPN. Please ignore Duke Vitale and look at the numbers and you'll find that Stoudamire has easily been the better shooter. Atittude and size is what will provide the difference in their draft position.

Brett10S

Reaction score
Not to mention Stoudamire is twice as athletic and can get to the rack and run the floor, and jump a little bit. Redick iis a terrible fit for this Suns team. Maybe things will change, but as long as we're a running team, Redick doesn't fit in. He comes of screen and pulls up. He is a very talented halfcourt player shooter, problem is, we dont run much of a halfcourt offense.

OP
OP
C

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Brett10S said:
Not to mention Stoudamire is twice as athletic and can get to the rack and run the floor, and jump a little bit. Redick iis a terrible fit for this Suns team. Maybe things will change, but as long as we're a running team, Redick doesn't fit in. He comes of screen and pulls up. He is a very talented halfcourt player shooter, problem is, we dont run much of a halfcourt offense.

We need someone off the bench to replicate Nash's skills, not a point guard that can leap. You want to replace a part with one that does not change the integrity of the system, like and OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) car parts.

Ball handling, passing, shooting and court vision are more important to Nash's game. Find someone with similar abilities to Nash and he should fit into the system.

Stoudamire is only averaging 1.7 assists per game
Redick is averaging 2.9 assists per game as a 2 guard
Diener is averaging 6.7 assists per game

Those are stats that are important for point guards.

Last edited:

Brett10S

Reaction score
If we're looking for a backup PG, which I agree that we should be, we shouldnt look at Redick. Just because he has whatever number of assists as a 2 guard doesnt mean anything about him being a PG. He's not a great ballhandler and he's not quick. A lot of Nash' success is predicated on him beating his man off the dribble and drawing two men, or him pushing the ball fast. Redick will have to improve 3 fold to do this.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05