New Zealand Breakers at Suns, 10-3-18 (preseason)

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Even though I predicted that starting Harrison would diminish his defense, I'm stunned at the degree this has proven to be true and it's just taken 5 SL games and 2 preseason games. He did defend well in SL, at least during the games I was able watch - the first three. But the half a game I was able to watch in preseason he hasn't applied any ball pressure (Fox easily outplayed him when i watched) - and comments from others didn't suggest he did so in parts I didn't see. The only positive thing I picked up from the boxscores was that he got five blocks in two games - but that is not a great indication because he usually gets his blocks from behind when his man gets by him on the dribble - so he making up for a prior mistake.

The question becomes: is he already ruined? Hopefully not, but it's going to take getting pushed down in the PG rotation. Personally, I'd start someone else over him and even bench him to make the point that he must defend at his best if he wants to play. I rather doubt that Kokoskov willl take such drastic measures. He didn't get to observe how Bledsoe's D fell off once he was a starter.

It's hard to argue that Harrison should meekly accept a lesser role for the good of the team when he knows that starting PGs make 3 to 10 times as much money as backups. By a fluke he got his chance to show what he could do as a starter before he was ready for it - and he is blowing it. In his case I think his choices will come down to: play demon defense off the bench or go to an easier league.

Last year I remember him saying that defense was his calling card. He'd best remember that soon.

Or maybe he wasn't all that good of a defender to begin with...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wow. I can't even count the number of times those two have been wrong on takes. Marotta is a chicken little on almost all Phoenix sports takes. It is entertaining because everything is the end of the world to him. I seriously wonder why he doesn't have an ulcer, LOL! :) I am just saying I would not use them to back up my takes. Every once in a while Gambo tells us some news we didn't know.

Well, Gambo and Burns already expressed the same concerns, as did Doug and Wolf.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or maybe he wasn't all that good of a defender to begin with...

Players have been warned that referees will be allowing even less contact this season on perimeter ball-handlers, that might have something to do with his struggles.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Players have been warned that referees will be allowing even less contact this season on perimeter ball-handlers, that might have something to do with his struggles.

I'm sure it does...but he is neither quick nor disciplined enough to overcome that, and he is so wretched on offense that I don't think it would matter if he could.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well, Gambo and Burns already expressed the same concerns, as did Doug and Wolf.
Ron Wolfly? LOL. He knows as much about basketball as I know about getting rich. LOL. I give him props on football. He's able to convey what it is like playing the NFL really well.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We have gone through a stretch of dubious PGs. 1Sun, do you think Bledsoe is better than any PG we have on our roster now?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ron Wolfly? LOL. He knows as much about basketball as I know about getting rich. LOL. I give him props on football. He's able to convey what it is like playing the NFL really well.

I'm just saying that the KTAR hosts are pretty unified in that perspective. I would love to know what Paul Coro and Scott Bordow think.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We have gone through a stretch of dubious PGs. 1Sun, do you think Bledsoe is better than any PG we have on our roster now?

Assuming he actually tries, yes...by a ton. You can see that in Milwaukee. Heck, Brogdon and Dellavedova are tons better than what we have at the point.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Assuming he actually tries, yes...by a ton. You can see that in Milwaukee. Heck, Brogdon and Dellavedova are tons better than what we have at the point.
So why did Booker get BETTER after Bledsoe left? He had his best year ever. He obviously was not spoiled or ruined. Heck the Summer practices posted here he looks even better than last year.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Seriously, I have been reading a few basketball "experts" discussing our theory on JJ at PG. Plus some good posts regarding Okobo. If all you want is a veteran, we have two of those. Besides we all are reading the Suns are trying to get a PG in a trade. Your posts are concerning because they seem almost desperate we need a PG trade NOW! We will get one, just have some patience. It's not going to ruin anyone if we get one in twenty games or whatever. Besides you said we are only going to win 21 games anyway, so what's the hurry? If that's all we are going to win, hell there is seriously no hurry to get a PG then if that's the best we can do.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Seriously, I have been reading a few basketball "experts" discussing our theory on JJ at PG. Plus some good posts regarding Okobo. If all you want is a veteran, we have two of those. Besides we all are reading the Suns are trying to get a PG in a trade. Your posts are concerning because they seem almost desperate we need a PG trade NOW! We will get one, just have some patience. It's not going to ruin anyone if we get one in twenty games or whatever. Besides you said we are only going to win 21 games anyway, so what's the hurry? If that's all we are going to win, hell there is seriously no hurry to get a PG then if that's the best we can do.

Because the culture from last year needs to change, not perpetuate itself.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Because the culture from last year needs to change, not perpetuate itself.
Then give Igor a chance. This is the first time I think we have someone who will institute a system, not just have guys go one on one all day. The defense is really more of a key for us. We have historically not been known for our defense. If this coach can sell the players on defense, then we WILL win games. Even with sucky PGs. It worked when Barkley was here because he kept kicking guys in the ass to keep them playing hard on defense. Plus Thunder Dan loved playing defense. I remember Oliver Miller. His best years were when Barkley was on his ass every game.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Then give Igor a chance. This is the first time I think we have someone who will institute a system, not just have guys go one on one all day. The defense is really more of a key for us. We have historically not been known for our defense. If this coach can sell the players on defense, then we WILL win games. Even with sucky PGs. It worked when Barkley was here because he kept kicking guys in the ass to keep them playing hard on defense. Plus Thunder Dan loved playing defense. I remember Oliver Miller. His best years were when Barkley was on his ass every game.

That is a big part of why I want them to get a competent point guard ASAP - to give Igor and his system a chance, rather than setting him up to fail by not giving him the players he needs for his system to work and by forcing him to rework his otherwise successful system due to that deficiency (as pointed out by Bickley and Marotta earlier today).

And, by the way, KJ is my all-time favorite Sun. I hope you're not calling him a sucky point guard. Ainge and Frank Johnson were also better than what we currently have at the point. Just saying.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I can't even count the number of times those two have been wrong on takes. Marotta is a chicken little on almost all Phoenix sports takes. It is entertaining because everything is the end of the world to him. I seriously wonder why he doesn't have an ulcer, LOL! :) I am just saying I would not use them to back up my takes. Every once in a while Gambo tells us some news we didn't know.

The first two are certainly not people I would use to support my argument.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That is a big part of why I want them to get a competent point guard ASAP - to give Igor and his system a chance, rather than setting him up to fail by not giving him the players he needs for his system to work and by forcing him to rework hus otherwise successful system due to that deficiency (as pointed out by Bickley and Marotta earlier today).

And, by the way, KJ is my all-time favorite Sun. I hope you're not calling him a sucky point guard. Ainge and Frank Johnson were also better than what we currently have at the point. Just saying.
No I am saying, if Igor can get them to play better team defense, even with the sucky PGs we have now, we will win some games.

My theory is McD is trying to get us to have a system like San Antonio. We tried with Earl Watson. He was supposedly versed in the San Antonio system. Watson kept saying our players had to become a family like they had in San Antonio. Unfortunately he never instituted any offense like they had or defense. It was pretty much let guys go one on one. Triano was just a stop gap. Now we are bringing in another guy who has a San Antonio type system. So far I see more motion on offense, at least at the start of games. LOL. Plus, in spots you can see them trying to play team D, just not consistently every time down the floor. I think McD and our owner ARE trying to get a system going, it's just hard. Popovich is a great coach. It's like the NFL and Blichick. Everyone hires his assistants hoping to bring his system. It hasn't worked yet. Hopefully Igor is better at bringing the Euro style that Pop brought, more successfully than Earl Watson was able to do.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched last night's game on my DVR. I have two thoughts:

1. Ayton is going to be terrifyingly awesome... on both ends of the court in a couple years.

2. Bender plays like the stumbling/bumbling NBA players in Space Jam after their talent was sucked out of them by the Monstars.

Damn is he atrocious.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Find a way to steal TJ McConnell.
UFA next year. Next years PG market is going to be pretty saturated with FA, not even including the guys with player options. If the Suns can't buy low for a guy like Beverley then I'm perfecting happy punting until next year to address the position, and in the meantime see if there is anything to work with among the young guys on the team this year.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If healthy Canaan is by far our best choice at PG.

Canaan is the best PG on the current roster, if healthy, and it's not close.

Chriss had a nice 1st game for the Rockets. No threes and probably all dunks +20 for the night. He could be a very good fit for them as a small ball center when Capela sits. I have no idea why people were happy that we kept Bender over him. I expect Chriss is very happy to be in Houston where players understand how to pass the ball.

He had just 5 point in 21 minutes today and he was a -13.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Harden is going to shoot 40 free throws a game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harden is going to shoot 40 free throws a game.

Doesn't he already? Actually, I don't know if it will change anything for him. Most of his fouls don't actually involve contract initiated by the opponent so maybe the refs won't add to our misery. But I would so love to see them institute a Harden rule.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody know if tomorrow's game against Portland will be on League Pass? It's telling me there are no streams. Doesn't appear to be on TV either.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Anybody know if tomorrow's game against Portland will be on League Pass? It's telling me there are no streams. Doesn't appear to be on TV either.

I have Direct TV and they usually show me games that are on League Pass even though I don't subscribe to it. This game is not listed. The only Suns game that is going to be broadcasted for me is the Suns at Warriors. I called Direct to see whether they are going to broadcast Suns games this season as they did last year and the guy I talked to said he didn't know so he looked at their schedule and the games were too far out in time to show up -- basically he can see the same schedule I can see on my TV.

I may well get League Pass for just Suns game - it's about 120 bucks for the season if you buy it from NBA.com but I didn't ask the price if buy it from Direct. Of course I may have no choice. If they gouge me too much, I'll just cancel Direct and stream the games. I watch too much TV as it is.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
He had just 5 point in 21 minutes today and he was a -13.

Yeah looking at limited stats is always dangerous and usually arrives at the wrong conclusions.

However McDonough traded Chriss and he kept Bender. Both appear to be trains wrecks. He drafted both of them, in the same draft.

Maybe Houston did not want our treasured possession, Bender. Or at least he was just that in the not too distant past.

There are players that McDonough has traded or not resigned playing and contributing on teams all over the NBA. I guess I am a little suspect on most of his decisions.

It appears that Ayton could be the real deal and a productive player for years to come. However I was a Doncic backer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake