News of the week. 07/01/24-07/07/24

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Imagine 90 degrees with no central AC. That ain't nothing to mess with too. A LOT of Europe does not have central AC.

As of 2022, only about 19% of European homes have air conditioning, which is much lower than the 90% rate in the United States. The percentage varies by country, with less than 5% of homes in the United Kingdom and Germany having air conditioning, and about 30% in Italy.
Been 110+ here and we have nothing but an old swamp cooler... fortunately a couple weeks in July is the only time it gets this hot here

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Imagine 90 degrees with no central AC. That ain't nothing to mess with too. A LOT of Europe does not have central AC.

As of 2022, only about 19% of European homes have air conditioning, which is much lower than the 90% rate in the United States. The percentage varies by country, with less than 5% of homes in the United Kingdom and Germany having air conditioning, and about 30% in Italy.
Sounds like living in Washington State or lots of places in Southern California.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
How could one possibly live in Southern California and not have central AC? Sounds like a death wish to me.
I lived in SoCal back in the early '90s. Didn't have central a/c in my place in L.A. proper (Park LaBrea)...Even though I was a few miles inland, I'd still get an ocean breeze most days. Didn't need a/c.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I lived in SoCal back in the early '90s. Didn't have central a/c in my place in L.A. proper (Park LaBrea)...Even though I was a few miles inland, I'd still get an ocean breeze most days. Didn't need a/c.
The issue has to do with how far inland and the existing coastal mountain ranges.

In Temecula ( south riverside county ) we were basically 20 miles from the coast but with mountains in between us and the coastal area. A few summers ago we did 115.

In reality most of SoCal is desert not unlike the Phoenix area maybe worse.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's hotter now.

LA now gets a few stretches of days in the 90s and other stretches in the high to mid 80s.

I've said this before to my LA people, I probably had more miserable days in LA without air conditioning than I ever had in Phoenix because I knew how to avoid the extreme heat and every where is highly air conditioned.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was 106 the other day in Raleigh, an all time record, but with humidity it felt like 117.

Europe is so mild compared to the 'States.

The worse heat I ever experienced was Miami. The humidity was so oppressive.

You just walk around drenched all the time. I don't even think it's sweat because you can't produce that much. I assume it's just the moisture in the air condensing on you.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The worse heat I ever experienced was Miami. The humidity was so oppressive.

You just walk around drenched all the time. I don't even think it's sweat because you can't produce that much. I assume it's just the moisture in the air condensing on you.
bunk, pure bunk