News of the week. 07/15/24-07/21/24

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just hope we do more QB roll outs w Kyler.. just don’t see how a defense could stop deciding to commit to trying to stop him run and having a a few drag routes rolling w him. He is the fastest QB in the league in 5-10 yard burst and can throw better than any of the running QBs

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can. Typically if you see multiple people shifting when a player is in motion, most likely they are playing some sort of zone defense.
If a single player moves along with, they are in man to man.

There are obviously nuisances if they are playing some sort of man-zone hybrid for example...

The Cards often identify that with pre snap motion, which they still do. Kollman is referring to motion at the snap I believe, which they hardly ever do, although it could be combined. It's not clear.

The Niners are #3 in snap motion, Dolphins are 1st and the Rams are 2nd. These are some of the top offenses in the league so it seems to work for them.

If those offensive minds think snap motion is important I'm inclined to agree with them.

To be honest, I'm not sure I agree with Kollman's assessment. Take the play below as an example. There's no reason that Kyler can't read what the defense is doing before the motion starts, as the motion can only take a couple of seconds before the snap.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Also, look at what team is right next to the Cardinals for snap motion. So this could very likely be a Petzing thing rather than a Kyler thing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards often identify that with pre snap motion, which they still do. Kollman is referring to motion at the snap I believe, which they hardly ever do, although it could be combined. It's not clear.
I got the impression he was talking about pre-snap motion. Motion at the snap ("cheat motion") only very recently started gaining popularity in the NFL after the Dolphins started using it to get Tyreek open more easily.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I got the impression he was talking about pre-snap motion. Motion at the snap ("cheat motion") only very recently started gaining popularity in the NFL after the Dolphins started using it to get Tyreek open more easily.

I dunno, the chart above has the worst snap motion in the league at 10%. Miami at the top are over 50%.

This isn't only on passing plays, it includes run plays too.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Interesting: one of the guys noted that he thought the Cardinals' lack of pre-snap motion was a "Kliff thing", but now thinks it's a "Kyler thing". The Cardinals were last in the league in pre-snap motion from week 10 onward. Clip starts here:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He goes on to say that some QBs prefer that as they can identify the post-snap picture better vs. a static O rather than against motion. "A lot of Air Raid QBs are like that. Aaron Rodgers was like that for a while in GB."

100% Kyler does not like motion! I'm positive of this!

Just like he doesn't like playing under center! :)

Maybe the K1 detractors can figure out how he's responsible for global warming? :)