Last week of the Preseason (news without the twitter links). 08/26/24-09/01/24

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are focusing on the wrong things IMO. Multiple players are capped by circumstance alone. I have shared in multiple threads. If you extend McBride, Tip becomes a 50% snap player (at very best). Jones couldn't beat out Clark at CB who was a 5th round pick and got put in the dog house last year. Now he is on the IR (potentially out for the year) with a minor injury because they don't want to just cut him. Also, he is already the second oldest CB on our roster and he hasn't played a down yet in the regular season. Melton is being (potentially) beat out by an UDFA CB. After being a second round pick. Adams looked awful and they passed on Zak Zinter who plays the same position and looks like he could start if needed.

I understand it is both early and draft picks are a crap shoot, but Monti infused a bad roster with 7 players in the first three rounds of this draft, and only one looks like he will be a starter week 1. That isn't great when your entire plan has been to build through the draft. And, AGAIN, this isn't to say Monti had a bad draft, it's just to say that it doesn't look the draft that accelerates the rebuild as hoped.
Any way you paint it, your argument comes way, way, way too early. You could end up being correct, but this is not the time or place for this discussion.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we had what 8 picks in the top 104 and we came out of that with what would have been. 2 total starters week one in a team devoid of talent on defense and holes on the oline

Melton CB #4
Benson RB #2
Adams LG #2
Ramien TE #3
Jones: IR but would have likely been waived
Rabbit SS #2

Melton and Raimen's spot on the depth chart is a joke considering how they were played in the preseason

What spot should they be on the depth chart? What does "how they were played in the preseason" even mean???

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What spot should they be on the depth chart? What does "how they were played in the preseason" even mean???

Most of them didn't play game 3. Snaps were very limited for what is effectively a bunch of back ups.

So you are happy we had 8 picks in the top 100 and have right now just a single starter out of that?

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just listened to a pretty trusted betting guy and he ran his stats through his sim 500 times to look at future bets. The most common outcome for the Cardinals was 4-13.

SB was Jets / Lions

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I just listened to a pretty trusted betting guy and he ran his stats through his sim 500 times to look at future bets. The most common outcome for the Cardinals was 4-13.

SB was Jets / Lions
The results of this team will be very Kyler dependent this year. I know losing a starting QB impacts most teams very badly but with a roster as unproven (or bad) as the Cardinals, they just don't have a way to pivot if he is out. This roster is just so thin.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of them didn't play game 3. Snaps were very limited for what is effectively a bunch of back ups.

So you are happy we had 8 picks in the top 100 and have right now just a single starter out of that?

I have ZERO concerns about rookies not starting day 1. I've said all along that the Cardinals needed to eventually find 3-4 quality starters and a bunch of roll players out of this 2024 draft. Does it need to happen on day one? NO, Not At All! Sure you expect your 1st rounders to contribute early but everything past that first round you have to allow them to develop and EARN a starting spot.

And for me, I really don't care if you find your starters in the 1st round or the 7th round or even UDFA. It doesn't matter. You just need to come away from this draft with some quality players who eventually will become part of the core of the team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The results of this team will be very Kyler dependent this year. I know losing a starting QB impacts most teams very badly but with a roster as unproven (or bad) as the Cardinals, they just don't have a way to pivot if he is out. This roster is just so thin.

I dunno. Being 4-13 is a choice, most of the time. I think even if Kyler went down for 10+ games, this team should still be 6-11 relying on a running game, a solid WR core, and a defense that's just pretty bad.

Cousins only started 8 games for the Vikes and they still finished 7-10.

I have ZERO concerns about rookies not starting day 1. I've said all along that the Cardinals needed to eventually find 3-4 quality starters and a bunch of roll players out of this 2024 draft. Does it need to happen on day one? NO, Not At All! Sure you expect your 1st rounders to contribute early but everything past that first round you have to allow them to develop and EARN a starting spot.

And for me, I really don't care if you find your starters in the 1st round or the 7th round or even UDFA. It doesn't matter. You just need to come away from this draft with some quality players who eventually will become part of the core of the team.

How are they going to be good enough to start for a playoff team if they can't start for a 4-13 team? Max Melton couldn't unseat ST5.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I feel draft choices should not be depended on to make a huge impact on day one. If a team gets 1 or 2 that awesome with contributions from the rest.

Reactions: PJ1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

wow...skew the narrative much?? Darius is hurt for a few weeks...but he earned a starting job. Benson was never gonna supplant Conner with this staff....they will of course make him earn the job on sundays as they should. Tip is TE3... and we run 13 personnel at times...so he is a spot starter at worst....
many would have complained had we started a rookie guard over the 8mil free agent we brought in to play the position...letting the rookie ride the pine is the right choice... had the rook started, many would be complaining about having a high dollar dude on the bench...so its kinda a good thing the rook needs to work on his pass pro sets

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Sir this is a football message board. You've been crowning MOJG since their arrival.

So you're equating the evaluation of MOJG, both of whom have been operating for a year and a half, a full season of league play and two off-seasons, with the evaluation of rookies that have yet to play a game. Seems like a false equivalence to me.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So you're equating the evaluation of MOJG, both of whom have been operating for a year and a half, a full season of league play and two off-seasons, with the evaluation of rookies that have yet to play a game. Seems like a false equivalence to me.
Read the last three words of my post bruh.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I'll go with, "It's not how you start, but how you finish".

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sir this is a football message board. You've been crowning MOJG since their arrival.
As a fan should, since they’ve done exactly what they were hired to do……..cleanse out all the me attitudes, flood the team with players that put the team first, create processes that lead to successful behaviors, rebuild the culture across the board, and build the team through the draft. All in all, they are making decisions that give us a better opportunity for sustained success. This is an approach that should have been adopted decades ago, but the Bidwills had no clue how to do it. As a former Corporate Sales Manager for a multinational organization, that’s exactly how I was taught to build for long term success. It’s a process, and it doesn’t happen overnight. Does Michael have the patience to stay the course? We’ll see.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
As a fan should, since they’ve done exactly what they were hired to do……..cleanse out all the me attitudes, flood the team with players that put the team first, create processes that lead to successful behaviors, rebuild the culture across the board, and build the team through the draft. All in all, they are making decisions that give us a better opportunity for sustained success. This is an approach that should have been adopted decades ago, but the Bidwills had no clue how to do it. As a former Corporate Sales Manager for a multinational organization, that’s exactly how I was taught to build for long term success. It’s a process, and it doesn’t happen overnight. Does Michael have the patience to stay the course? We’ll see.
They haven't won anything yet nor finished even .500 yet, so of course they haven't done what they've been hired to do. Yet.

Stout

Reaction score
High-pick rookies must start in the modern NFL or your team is behind the eight ball. It used to be very different, but in the modern NFL, you have to hit on those picks.

Stout

Reaction score
It's only been one freakin year.
That's why I said yet. I was quoting someone who said they had done what they were hired to do. That is beyond hopium--we haven't won yet. They have not done what they were hired to do. The future will tell if they do. I wasn't making a judgment on their future tenure but refuting a bad opinion. Read above again. It's fairly obvious.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
High-pick rookies must start in the modern NFL or your team is behind the eight ball. It used to be very different, but in the modern NFL, you have to hit on those picks.
I remember watching Raiders games and being excited when the first round pick came in during week 2 or 3...felt like a shift in team dynamics.
But a couple years later seeing a guy on the roster and having to look him up to see who the heck he was..only to realize he was the third round pick the same year. Pre internet that first rounder, and occasionally a second rounder...was the only guy people expected to take the field as a rookie.
Then I became a Cardinal fan and learned to get hopeful that a sixth round rookie was going to save our season.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
That's why I said yet. I was quoting someone who said they had done what they were hired to do. That is beyond hopium--we haven't won yet. They have not done what they were hired to do. The future will tell if they do. I wasn't making a judgment on their future tenure but refuting a bad opinion. Read above again. It's fairly obvious.
with this draft class in perticular you kinda expect contributions pretty fast... our two first rounders are about right... but lots of our rookies are old for rookies...having rookies 23 and 24 years old cuts out most of the improvement from natural physical maturity..so a little bit of weight room and some technique is the only avenue for development...fortunately I think most of the covid players are out of college now and should not affect too many drafts moving forward.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky