Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Continue to use Johnson and Barbosa

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is pretty obvious that the Suns cannot afford to lose Steve Nash. The drop off when using JJ or Barbosa is rather steep right now. This is considered to be a pretty good draft for point guards, but the Suns also need another big man. What should they do?

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
I voted for signing Vujanic. But we still may draft a PG or sign a veteran PG if we plan on shipping Barbosa. Despite the potential we all see in Vujanic. It's far from certain that he will be consistent contributor right away.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think it's too early to decide what the Suns need most with their draft pick - and then you have to see who is available when the pick rolls around. After the playoffs it may be obvious that the Suns have to get some more muscle and for this team that could be in the form of a strong athletic guy at 6'9 who is judged to be a little undersized for most teams at PF. On the other hand it may become apparent that JJ is going to bolt and we have to start looking for his replacement.

It appears that the first option that becomes available will be getting Vuganic over here - if that is the case, I don't see any reason for the team not to do it as quick as they can. Perhaps they can see enough of him yet this season to know if he'll fit the bill. I'm voting for this option because of the timing.

The list of UFA PG's is quite extensive and there are some interesting guys that might not come too high - Rick Brunson and Milt Palacio, for example. Here's the whole list, which I picked out of a list of FAs George posted a couple of months ago:
Kenny Anderson Atlanta Unrestricted Free Agent
Tyronn Lue Atlanta Unrestricted Free Agent
Gary Payton Boston Unrestricted Free Agent
Brevin Knight Charlotte Unrestricted Free Agent
Frank Williams Chicago Unrestricted Free Agent
Jeff McInnis Cleveland Unrestricted Free Agent
Darrell Armstrong Dallas Unrestricted Free Agent
Rick Brunson L.A. Clippers Unrestricted Free Agent
Earl Watson Memphis Unrestricted Free Agent
Travis Best New Jersey Unrestricted Free Agent
Dan Dickau New Orleans Unrestricted Free Agent
Jamison Brewer New York Unrestricted Free Agent
Damon Stoudamire Portland Unrestricted Free Agent
Mateen Cleaves Seattle Unrestricted Free Agent
Milt Palacio Toronto Unrestricted Free Agent
Howard Eisley Utah Unrestricted Free Agent

fordronken

Reaction score
The best solution I could think of would be offering Earl Watson our mid-level. I think he'd fit in very well. He's pretty solid and a very good passer. I think with enough minutes, on a team like the Hawks, he'd average close to 8 assists a game.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
#1- Dickau

#2- Brevin Knight (who we used to have)

#3-Draft

#4-Vujanic

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
fordronken said:
The best solution I could think of would be offering Earl Watson our mid-level. I think he'd fit in very well. He's pretty solid and a very good passer. I think with enough minutes, on a team like the Hawks, he'd average close to 8 assists a game.

So you don't want to bring Hunter back? (He will require part of our MLE. Also, Atlanta is hot for him and will certainly out price us. Not to mention Memphis wants to keep him)

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Sign either

Vujanic
Payton
Dickau
Daniels
Stoudamire
Van Exel
Knight
Williams

Lets not waste picks on a PG who will need time to devellop anyway. If we can't get Vujanic or even if we get him there should be some good veteran PGs on the market not wanting too much $ to play for a contender in Phoenix.

Plus a veteran minimum big guy like Dale Davis, resigning Hunter and drafting Diogu and Frye.

Last edited:

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
Travis Diener in the 2nd Round

I concur. I would rather have a point guard in development to eventually replace Nash. I don't want to bring on retreads next year, if we sign veterans the minimum contract it is going to be around 1.25 M per season. If a good point guard drops to #17, pick him but that is too high for Diener. At 1M for 3 seasons it may be worth the investment for a top PG. It is the first position that we are going to have to replace since Nash is the old man on the block.

I would hope the Suns move up in the second round to make Diener their man and team him with who ever the pick in the !st. For now both JJ's can handle the point.

Robert Pack could be considered for the remainder of the season.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Vujanic or a PG in Draft might be my options, although I really like Antonio Daniels, etc.

I'd doubt the Suns sign a veteran to a multi-year contract. It'd take too many pieces to Trade for 1 and Suns won't have much capspace to sign a really great PG in future with contracts on team. Vujanic or a Rookie could be ready to take over in 4-6 years and would be cheap... and IMO there are a few that will be ready to play next year extended minutes.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've only seen Vujanic a couple of times while playing with the Serbia/Montengro national team. It didn't tell me much because that was not really a running team this summer. The write-ups are interesting, such as the one I quoted in another thread, EuroBasket

From my perspective, if Vujanic is even close to being the kind of player he has been projected to be, I'd rather sign him and then use the Chicago pick on someone who can give the Suns rebounding and inside scoring off the bench. Right now, Amare is just as irreplaceable as Nash is.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I left Tiere Brown (Lakers, UFA) off my list by accident. He's had two years in the league and my recollection of him against us is that he is speedy up and down the floor, though I don't recall if he can push the ball fast. He's averaging 2.0 assists in about 12mpg over two years, which is pretty good for a young backup PG. I think he's flying under the radar so he might be a relatively inexpensive pickup and he's probably well ahead of anyone we'd draft @17. The Lakers also have Vujacic (Sp?) so they might not be inclined to compete for Brown in the FA market.

I also left Bobby Jackson (Kings, UFA) off the list, if anyone is interested.

Keith McLeod, Utah, is an RFA and one would assume that Utah would counter an offer but they're doing strange things of late - like letting Arroyo go for el zippo.

I didn't see Antonio Daniels on the list of FAs at all, so we'd have to trade someone to get him - I certainly can't imagine George made a error in putting his list together...

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Earl Watson for me, he is one of the most underrated point guards in the league. can give you 10 and 6 assists every night.

scotsman13

Reaction score
slinslin said:
Sign either

Stoudamire

will never play for the suns. this guy has too much of a name as a druggy. i dont know if there is anything that will get you out of a suns uni as fast getting busted for drugs. might mouse has been busted time and time again.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
I didn't see Antonio Daniels on the list of FAs at all, so we'd have to trade someone to get him - I certainly can't imagine George made a error in putting his list together...

Copying the list. Never create when you can "borrow". :D

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but Earl Watson is not going to play here. He is a young player who will go for the money and playing time that a team like Atlanta will offer.

Joe Mama

BigBuddy

Reaction score
My vote goes to Milos.

I'm not at all convinced he's got what it takes to be an NBA-format PG, however, vast majority of you seem pretty sure about that so I'd like to give him a chance and settle it once and for all :)

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I vote Barbosa, especially if the Suns keep Joe Johnson.

Barbosa has as much talent as anybody the Suns could get. Besides, the team needs to learn how to play without relying on their PG to set everything up.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Errntknght said:
I left Tiere Brown (Lakers, UFA) off my list by accident. He's had two years in the league and my recollection of him against us is that he is speedy up and down the floor, though I don't recall if he can push the ball fast. He's averaging 2.0 assists in about 12mpg over two years, which is pretty good for a young backup PG.

I have watched a good amount of Lakers games this year. Tierre Brown is horrible. I would rather have Smush Parker out there, who is the only other person I have seen throw a layup off the underside of the rim this season.

Maybe I have only seen the bad, but almost every time he comes in the game he seems to single handily destroy anything the Lakers have going.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
I'd love to see Dickau here. He may want too much money given how he's played of late, but I think he'd be a perfect backup for Nash.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Dickau is a Nash clone. I've seen the way he plays and it's almost eerie. Sort of like Ridnour too.

Dickau is a FA next year, we should try and get him fo sho.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
JPlay said:
Dickau is a Nash clone. I've seen the way he plays and it's almost eerie. Sort of like Ridnour too.

Dickau is a FA next year, we should try and get him fo sho.

Dickau is not as good as people think. The kid turns it over almost as much as he passes. He is running with a 1.39 Asst/TO ratio. The thing that makes Nash so good is his ability to protect the ball. Calling him a Nash clone is ridiculous.

There is a reason Dickau has never played. He just finally wound up on a team that so god aweful that they have to play him.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree concerning Dickau. He is not that good.

Comparing him to Nash is a huge exaggeration. Comparing him to Ridnour is just wrong.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I have Dickau on my fantasy team and he has been putting up great numbers. His turnover ratio isn't that great because he is forced to score and doesn't have the opportunties to get the easy assists. You don't honestly believe his assist numbers would improve on the Suns. He has 10+ assist nights but he also has 3+ assist nights. He would be a great backup learning behind Nash.