NFL Combine 2020

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No
Is too slow to be considered worth a second rounder
5.05 for a pass rusher is like being qb with a velocity ball of 35

Quote:

Epenesa is not J.J. Watt. He may have missed an opportunity Saturday to climb some draft boards. But when determining whether he can be a high-impact defensive end in the NFL, you are better off believing his opponents than believing a stopwatch.

(I'd gladly take him in the second rd)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Conklin going to cost 18m plus and he's average. Why would you do that when you can draft a better prospect at 8?
In what world is he average? He's an All-Pro player, and still very young. None of the guys in the draft have proven a thing.

Lets say it goes just like this except the Panthers take Derrick Brown.

Now we have both Okudah (who we never dreamed would be there), and Lamb as options. Who do you pick?

Personally I go with Okudah because we are going to need another CB very soon. PP21 might be traded, but he is walking at the end of the year. Alford may or may not be anything for us. We have 1 year to see. Murphy was ok, but got worse as the season went on. Okudah could be a CB1 for us as soon as mid season. The WR class is just too deep, we can get a starter in the 2nd round.
I've touched on this in another thread, but I don't touch Okudah unless we have solved 95% of our roster issues in free agency coming into the draft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
In what world is he average? He's an All-Pro player, and still very young. None of the guys in the draft have proven a thing.

I've touched on this in another thread, but I don't touch Okudah unless we have solved 95% of our roster issues in free agency coming into the draft.

I liked then unliked.

Passing on Okudah would be insanely stupid. Cornerbacks are extremely hard to find. Look at how many draft picks the Packers have used on corner.

If you have Peterson and Okudah, you can effectively shutdown TWO wide receivers, which free up your safeties to crush the run.

The other 9 players now only have to worry about stopping one or two other receivers.

The only two players that the Cardinals should absolutely NOT pass on if available is Young or Okudah.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Young, Okudah, Simmons, Lamb, OT

We getting one...... They they are gonna be good.

Last year, at least for me, it was real simple which way we needed to go. This year is so, so, hard. Every time I watch someone in the combine, I change my mind as to who I want. Obviously, what the 7 teams before us decide, will ultimately determine where we go with our pick. I'm on board with the Doctor. Whoever we end up with will be good!!

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
No

is he a 3/4 defensive end rather than a 4-3 defensive end?

if he embraces being a 3/4 defensive end playing head up on a tackle, or, shading inside shoulder -- then yes, i take Epenesa in the 2nd

whats pedestrian as an edge guy becomes pretty good coming from the inside

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No

Epenesa would be a 3-4 end for the Cardinals. I would run to the podium if he is available in the second round, and may consider trading up into the late 1st to get him.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I liked then unliked.

Passing on Okudah would be insanely stupid. Cornerbacks are extremely hard to find. Look at how many draft picks the Packers have used on corner.

If you have Peterson and Okudah, you can effectively shutdown TWO wide receivers, which free up your safeties to crush the run.

The other 9 players now only have to worry about stopping one or two other receivers.

The only two players that the Cardinals should absolutely NOT pass on if available is Young or Okudah.
We've already danced this dance in another thread. At the end of the day, I don't think the Cardinals can afford to draft guys where we have enough to get by. Until free agency happens, drafting a CB when we have three adequate starters is not my priority.

A similar argument could be made about WR, but I believe Isabella will never amount to anything of note, same with Keesean, and I'm not counting on Butler for anything. So I can at least justify Lamb, again with the caveat that it's based on where we are today.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Epenesa would be a 3-4 end for the Cardinals. I would run to the podium if he is available in the second round, and may consider trading up into the late 1st to get him.

I wouldn't have a problem with Epenesa in the 2nd round. These combine measurements never take into account a guy's football instincts. This kid has the innate ability to always be around the ball & is crazy good at creating fumbles. Great hands for a big guy. I like the dude.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I wouldn't have a problem with Epenesa in the 2nd round. These combine measurements never take into account a guy's football instincts. This kid has the innate ability to always be around the ball & is crazy good at creating fumbles. Great hands for a big guy. I like the dude.

He is a big, strong power player with good technique. Plenty of front seven players dont have great speed.

Epenesa isnt a 3-4 backer and would likely struggle at that position.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We've already danced this dance in another thread. At the end of the day, I don't think the Cardinals can afford to draft guys where we have enough to get by. Until free agency happens, drafting a CB when we have three adequate starters is not my priority.

A similar argument could be made about WR, but I believe Isabella will never amount to anything of note, same with Keesean, and I'm not counting on Butler for anything. So I can at least justify Lamb, again with the caveat that it's based on where we are today.

1st round picks shouldn't be viewed as merely filling holes. That's how you end up with average players.

Draft foundational players when you can.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
1st round picks shouldn't be viewed as merely filling holes. That's how you end up with average players.

Draft foundational players when you can.
The assumption there is that the other choices aren't foundational.

The other issue is not giving our main foundational player the players around him to succeed. As I said in the last thread where we had this argument, what's more likely? That we build a dominant offense around a well protected or weapon-rich Kyler Murray with an offensive oriented head coach, or that we build a dominant defense under Vance Joseph with an elite secondary?

My vote is going toward the former.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact that some would go with Simmons over Okudah from a longevity, positional impact, & overall talent value is scary.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The fact that some would go with Simmons over Okudah from a longevity, positional impact, & overall talent value is scary.
To me, that all depends on free agency, again. Let's say Keim hasn't done anything about ILB out of hopes that Simmons might be there, and for some reason, both drop. I'm taking Simmons there. I know you're not a fan, but I'm not alone in thinking he's special.

It's not like I hate Okudah, I just am wondering what this team is trying to build if we take him and ignore so many other positions.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
To me, that all depends on free agency, again. Let's say Keim hasn't done anything about ILB out of hopes that Simmons might be there, and for some reason, both drop. I'm taking Simmons there. I know you're not a fan, but I'm not alone in thinking he's special.

It's not like I hate Okudah, I just am wondering what this team is trying to build if we take him and ignore so many other positions.

Starting Joe Walker at ILB is a smaller roster problem than starting a scrub at one of the CB positions.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Starting Joe Walker at ILB is a smaller roster problem than starting a scrub at one of the CB positions.
Except we're not starting a scrub, we have three good-to-decent CBs, so I don't know what you're talking about.

And yeah, starting Joe Walker at ILB would be an unmitigated disaster and continue to contribute to a team that can't get off the field on D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05