NFL Combine 2020

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except we're not starting a scrub, we have three good-to-decent CBs, so I don't know what you're talking about.

And yeah, starting Joe Walker at ILB would be an unmitigated disaster and continue to contribute to a team that can't get off the field on D.
Why are we still acting like Alford is decent man

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Why are we still acting like Alford is decent man
The guy has started 76 career games. He's had some ups and downs, but let's not act like he's hot garbage, either. Are you really telling me that in a game of who you'd rather have on the field, you'd rather have Joe Walker than Robert Alford?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The guy has started 76 career games. He's had some ups and downs, but let's not act like he's hot garbage, either. Are you really telling me that in a game of who you'd rather have on the field, you'd rather have Joe Walker than Robert Alford?
I’d rather have a bad ILB than a bad CB on the field so I hope that answered your question.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
if the choice was Simmons vs Okudah: i think the choice is still Okudah, but going Simmons wouldnt out of bounds

it would be analogous to picking Larry Fitzgerald over Ben Roethlisberger or Philip Rivers.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Aaargh this draft is the most confusing I can ever remember... it is possibly although not likely that we could be sitting at 8 with Lamb, Jeudy, Brown, Simmons and Okudah on the board. Who to pick?! They all keep changing in my mind

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Aaargh this draft is the most confusing I can ever remember... it is possibly although not likely that we could be sitting at 8 with Lamb, Jeudy, Brown, Simmons and Okudah on the board. Who to pick?! They all keep changing in my mind

Just pick the right one...the one that will make an immediate impact and be here for several years. :)

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The assumption there is that the other choices aren't foundational.

The other issue is not giving our main foundational player the players around him to succeed. As I said in the last thread where we had this argument, what's more likely? That we build a dominant offense around a well protected or weapon-rich Kyler Murray with an offensive oriented head coach, or that we build a dominant defense under Vance Joseph with an elite secondary?

My vote is going toward the former.

What's likely is that this returning offence, with a few tweaks, will score more points. The issue is how to shave 50 to 100 points off of our defence.

All this or all that = losing football.

KC was a flashy loser, over the past few seasons, until they found adequate support from the D side of the ball.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
that’s the only worry I have really, whoever we pick better work out to be a star, especially if the ones passed on become stars.

In a way I don’t care who we pick but it needs to be awesome

That is what is scary about picking high...missing high.

In 2017, the Bears, 49ers, Titans, Chargers, and Bengals all blew top 10 picks (at least 5 out of 9 teams blew the pick/55%)

Jags passed on McCaffrey for Fournette. I get it at the time but it hasn't turned out well.

You must be registered for see images attach

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
2016 - I would say 9/10 had were successful.

You must be registered for see images attach

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Okudah

You can find a very good receiver in round 2. You can find good rotational DL in round 3. ILB? Sometimes even in the 4th round.

CB? Shutdown corners arent common at all.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

How many times does a guy have to ask to be traded, or make some vague remarks about the FO being "snakes in the grass" before we believe that he will leave. He is a FA at the end of the year. He is going to want to try and get paid and win a ring. I would put it at less than 10% he re-signs here, and that is only if we break the bank for him despite his declining game.

The FO will talk to him about an extension. He will tell them thanks but no thanks, and we will most likely trade him before the deadline this year to try and recoup something.

As I have said in other threads, we should be beating down Tampa's door offering them PP21 + DJ + #8 for Mike Evans and #14. Everyone wins in that deal if you think about the fact that both PP21 and DJ will not be on the roster in 2021.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I’d rather have a bad ILB than a bad CB on the field so I hope that answered your question.
But Alford's not bad. I'm not saying he's elite, just adequate. So...

What's likely is that this returning offence, with a few tweaks, will score more points. The issue is how to shave 50 to 100 points off of our defence.

All this or all that = losing football.

KC was a flashy loser, over the past few seasons, until they found adequate support from the D side of the ball.
I'm not totally sure I believe in the assumption that we're just automatically going to score more points. Byrd, Cooper, and Drake are currently free agents, Fitz is a year older, we have no center to speak of, we technically don't have an RT either, and Justin Murray just isn't very good. We don't beat up on the hapless Browns with one great game and we find ourselves in the 20s in scoring. I fully expect personnel to improve to some degree this year, but hey.

I don't think stacking players at one position, even if it sees the field at the same time as most, is smarter than improving talent across the board.

Great corners don't matter if you can't stop the run, and running the ball on us is the way to stop any dynamic offense. Keep them off the field.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
How many times does a guy have to ask to be traded, or make some vague remarks about the FO being "snakes in the grass" before we believe that he will leave. He is a FA at the end of the year. He is going to want to try and get paid and win a ring. I would put it at less than 10% he re-signs here, and that is only if we break the bank for him despite his declining game.

The FO will talk to him about an extension. He will tell them thanks but no thanks, and we will most likely trade him before the deadline this year to try and recoup something.

As I have said in other threads, we should be beating down Tampa's door offering them PP21 + DJ + #8 for Mike Evans and #14. Everyone wins in that deal if you think about the fact that both PP21 and DJ will not be on the roster in 2021.
Tampa has no reason to want to give us Mike Evans. It's time to give up on that pipe dream. He's their #1 receiver, is young, elite, and is signed through 2023 with nothing but his cap hit and dead cap going down after this season. Trading him now would be the dumbest move Tampa could make.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm not totally sure I believe in the assumption that we're just automatically going to score more points. Byrd, Cooper, and Drake are currently free agents, Fitz is a year older, we have no center to speak of, we technically don't have an RT either, and Justin Murray just isn't very good. We don't beat up on the hapless Browns with one great game and we find ourselves in the 20s in scoring. I fully expect personnel to improve to some degree this year, but hey.

I don't think stacking players at one position, even if it sees the field at the same time as most, is smarter than improving talent across the board.

Great corners don't matter if you can't stop the run, and running the ball on us is the way to stop any dynamic offense. Keep them off the field.
Except Alford isn’t adequate either. He’s bad. Not under-average, but bad. He was bad his last year with Atlanta. Now he’s 2 years older coming off an injury.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jesus Christ, unless we were already loaded at CB(we’re clearly not), I couldn’t imagine passing on Okudah under any circumstance. I wouldn’t have even imagined Solar being against it, but I imagined wrong I guess.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tampa has no reason to want to give us Mike Evans. It's time to give up on that pipe dream. He's their #1 receiver, is young, elite, and is signed through 2023 with nothing but his cap hit and dead cap going down after this season. Trading him now would be the dumbest move Tampa could make.

I disagree. Their secondary is horrid. Their RB situation is very bad. They need a young QB, and the way things are looking, there might not be one there at #14. Even if they sign Rivers or Brady, they need someone in the wings.

They led the league in passing yards last year. They have Godwin as a #1, who is going to need to be paid during this season and even got something out of Perriman last season.

Name a winning team that has two 15+ million per year WR's?

Find a better deal that gets them an All-Pro CB, a starting RB (who BA has mentioned at least 3 times this week at the combine), and a chance at their QBOTF.

If they could walk out of the first round with PP21, DJ, and Herbert or Love....and the ability to afford Chris Godwin....I think they would take it.

It's a win for the Cards because Mike Evans is exactly what we need, and we can still get a very solid player at #14...maybe Wirfs or Kinlaw.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

???
There is precisely one DT in this draft one would take over the #1 rated CB and the chance of him being available are very slim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05