No Doom and Gloom

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I wouldn't say the Clippers are just a decent team. Despite the fact that Memphis had a better record I think the Clippers are the fourth best team in the Western Conference this year (how can I be saying this?).Joe

Exactly. The Clips also tanked a few games at the end of the season in order to play Denver instead of Dallas. Their record would have been the same or better than Memphis had they played it out.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Sure, you're proud of the Suns, we all are. But they didn't just walk into the Western Conference Finals, even though everyone wants to think they did. San Antonio is a tough team, but nearly as tough as everyone thought they would be in these playoffs.

And let's not fool ourselves, the Clippers would have taken Dallas AND San Antonio to the brink, just as they did us.

San Antonio was a stupid foul away by Ginobli from playing us.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folster said:
Exactly. The Clips also tanked a few games at the end of the season in order to play Denver instead of Dallas. Their record would have been the same or better than Memphis had they played it out.

Uh - Memphis did the same exact thing - anyone watch that Clippers v. Memphis game at the end of the season when BOTH teams were trying to throw the game.

Don't fool yourselves, the Clippers were decent - nothing more, nothing less. SA and Dallas would have beaten them in 6 max.

Mavzy

Go Mavs!
Reaction score
Just an Observation

Well, it looks as though I may only get the one post, seems as though the mods ban anyone that is not a Suns fan. For what it's worth, with the exception of Chris' quick banning finger, this is one of the better thread sites I've visited. The Indystar's is probably the best I've seen, taking content into consideration. Now to my points. The Suns are a very talented and good team, they have always given the Mavs match-up problems, especially when Amare is healthy. But the Mavs have never (and most of the time, rightly so) gotten the credit they deserve for being a good team, this year is no exception. Avery has really stressed defense and Dirk has broadened his abilities both offensively and defensively. It is no fluke the Mavs are in the WCF, they've beaten some good teams to get here, and if they move on, they will have beaten another good team (injuries considered). But, I have to agree with Ouchie and Joe, one of the reasons some of you are able to say the Suns are in the WCF is because of the path they were able to take. That's not to say the Clippers or Lakers were push-overs, but who can argue they are even near the Spurs caliber. And please don't say the Spurs are old and worn out....seems they had the best recored in the west with 60+ wins. The Suns are good, they are just outmatched at this time of the year, the Mavs are deeper and appear to want it more! When I read about how the Suns' injury ridden team is still able to compete with the Mavs, it's because of their athleticism, as I stated earlier they have ALWAYS matched-up well with the Mavs, so I'm not surprised they are staying close. But in the end, their legs will fail them and the Mavs will prevail. As for the gentleman that invited the other BRASH Mavs fan back to the thread next year, when the Suns are healthy.....can't do...he was banned! Go Mavs!

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have let several mavs fans post, including you.

If people come here looking to talk any trash they are gone. It's pretty simple.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
elindholm said:
See they come in all nice at the start and then disappear after losing a game.

Come on, Chris. This guy has been a jerk since his first appearance. I had already put him on Ignore long before you banned him.

Not all fans of opposing teams are the same. Don't take the easy way out and lump them all together.
:thumbup:

Mavzy

Go Mavs!
Reaction score
Chris I appreciate you allowing me to stay. I'll try and not talk trash, instead I prefer to give honest observations. Obviousy, some of my observations and opines will differ than most of the basketball fans here, as it should be! I appreciate reading the evaluations of the Mavs when given by opposing fans, when given with intellect and reason. Even when I don't agree. It's the trash talk that bothers me too!

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mavzy said:
Chris I appreciate you allowing me to stay. I'll try and not talk trash, instead I prefer to give honest observations. Obviousy, some of my observations and opines will differ than most of the basketball fans here, as it should be! I appreciate reading the evaluations of the Mavs when given by opposing fans, when given with intellect and reason. Even when I don't agree. It's the trash talk that bothers me too!

Hey that's fine, we welcome that! We have had some Mavs fan visitors for the entire year.

Hoopy was allowed to stay until he started doing the whole "Say it with me, Mavs own Suns" garbage.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Mavzy, please send me a private message with the URL for the Indystar site you referred to. Just left-click on my screen name to call up the PM menu.

Thanks.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Sure, you're proud of the Suns, we all are. But they didn't just walk into the Western Conference Finals, even though everyone wants to think they did. San Antonio is a tough team, but nearly as tough as everyone thought they would be in these playoffs.

And let's not fool ourselves, the Clippers would have taken Dallas AND San Antonio to the brink, just as they did us.

The Clippers were certainly a worthy second-round opponent, but I have to wonder about your sanity if you think they are as good as the San Antonio Spurs. Regardless of your thoughts on San Antonio, I never said the Phoenix Suns just walked into the Western Conference finals. I do think they got a slightly easier path going through the Clippers instead of the Mavericks in the second round though.

Again, given the circumstances, without Kurt Thomas and now Bell, I think the Suns have played very well.

Joe

Mavzy

Go Mavs!
Reaction score
I Agree

Joe, I couldn't agree more. Not that the Clippers were a cakewalk, but if given the option before the playoffs started, which path to you think any GM or Head Coach in the league would have chosen? The path the Suns had or the path the Mavs had to travel?

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Mavzy said:
Joe, I couldn't agree more. Not that the Clippers were a cakewalk, but if given the option before the playoffs started, which path to you think any GM or Head Coach in the league would have chosen? The path the Suns had or the path the Mavs had to travel?
Yeah it pays to win your division as it should. I guess they "fixed" it for next season but IMO that just diminishes the gimick three divsions even more so.

The NBA needs to be careful, the playoffs are cool as poo poo, but the regular season doesn't really begin until Christmas because it's all meaningless.

Mavzy

Go Mavs!
Reaction score
Partly Correct

I agree, it should count to win your division... if the divisions were matched more evenly. But honestly, do you believe the Nuggets should have been seeded as high as they were? The overall record should have some bearing, and yes, next year it will. Should alleviate some of the scheduling snafus that happened this year during the playoffs. The team with the second best record in the conference shouldn't be seeded fourth behind a team that finished 6 games above 500.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
The Clippers were certainly a worthy second-round opponent, but I have to wonder about your sanity if you think they are as good as the San Antonio Spurs. Regardless of your thoughts on San Antonio, I never said the Phoenix Suns just walked into the Western Conference finals. I do think they got a slightly easier path going through the Clippers instead of the Mavericks in the second round though.

Again, given the circumstances, without Kurt Thomas and now Bell, I think the Suns have played very well.

Joe

Wow, where did I say the Clippers were as good as the San Antonio Spurs? The Spurs are a better team, but not by much, not in these playoffs.

Call me names if you'd like, but that's just the truth. If you think the Spurs would sweep the Clippers, that's your prerogative, but IMO they would have had a tough time with them.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No gloom and doom? Nonsense. Face it, our shallow roster is being destroyed by a deeper team and a good coach not afraid to use all of his players.

Do we miss Raja Bell? Of course. But I don't think we would beat Dallas in a long series even if Bell was healthy.

Without Stoudemire, we are back to being what the Suns have usually been - an entertaining team but not good enough to go all the way. And the future looks gloomy. I think Amare is done; Sarver will be too frugal to re-sign Diaw and Barbosa; Steve Nash is nearing the end; the Clips and Lakers may surpass us by next year.

What we see now is as good as it gets, or will get, and it's not good enough.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think Amare is done; Sarver will be too frugal to re-sign Diaw and Barbosa; Steve Nash is nearing the end; the Clips and Lakers may surpass us by next year.

I really appreciate all of the extra effort you've put in recently to make sure this board is such a positive place.

Djaughe

Reaction score
elindholm said:
I think Amare is done; Sarver will be too frugal to re-sign Diaw and Barbosa; Steve Nash is nearing the end; the Clips and Lakers may surpass us by next year.

I really appreciate all of the extra effort you've put in recently to make sure this board is such a positive place.

lol...Skorp is the type of cat that believes in posting "Doom n Gloom" stuff to generate the opposite of bad luck in a dire situation.

Keeps the medicine men on opposing teams guessing on what type of bad karma to cast. :)

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Just doing what cheese and ouchie have been doing on the Cards board for years - injecting some much needed realism into the discussion.

Face it, we have overachieved. More so than any team in the NBA. God, I love these guys for their guts and effort and I'll be screaming at the TV in a few hours, but we are done.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
lol...Skorp is the type of cat that believes in posting "Doom n Gloom" stuff to generate the opposite of bad luck in a dire situation.

Keeps the medicine men on opposing teams guessing on what type of bad karma to cast. :)

I do tend to do that but in this case, we have fewer bullits than they do. I'm hoping against hope that we can win tonight and at least force a game 7.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Just doing what cheese and ouchie have been doing on the Cards board for years - injecting some much needed realism into the discussion.

I'm a realist too. My real point was that, had your post come from someone with an unfamiliar screen name, you would have been immediately banned as a troll. There is some major hypocrisy going on.

Djaughe

Reaction score
elindholm said:
...I'm a realist too. My real point was that, had your post come from someone with an unfamiliar screen name, you would have been immediately banned as a troll. There is some major hypocrisy going on.

Your post didn't even come close to that point and even if Skorps post was from a brand new user - the mods wouldn't have banned it.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Your post didn't even come close to that point

You didn't read carefully enough. ;)

even if Skorps post was from a brand new user - the mods wouldn't have banned it.

You're right, they would have moved it instead.

Djaughe

Reaction score
elindholm said:
Your post didn't even come close to that point

You didn't read carefully enough. ;)

even if Skorps post was from a brand new user - the mods wouldn't have banned it.

You're right, they would have moved it instead.

On the contrary - the least inflammatory posts have been left alone in the threads while the one's that do cross the demilitarized zone either get tossed in the trash can or the smack forum.

Perhaps that's why there is some confusion among the posters when they read the posts to determine the crime - its not available for public viewing among regular posters.

Another problem that seems to generating some confusion is that the trolls that either have been temporarily suspended or permaban have been re-registering through other accounts - not realizing their IP address' match up like a fingerprint.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

ah - subtle difference there Skkorp - Ouchie and I were RIGHT!

Seriously man, even if Amare is done (and I don't believe that to be the case - although I also DON'T believe he will ever be what he once was - he'll still be a good player), you still fail to realize that this team has Atlanta's lotto pick next year in what should be the best draft in years AND there's no way Boris doens't get signed to an extension. Leo - maybe, maybe not - he's not the key guy here, but Boris is just going to continue to get better and better and next year, when healthy with Kurt, Bell and Boris developing and one mroe great year out of Nash and even a 60% Amare, this team is gonna give teams fits and the year after that, we'll have added a high lotto pick, Amare will probably be around 80%, Boris will be a monster and we'll still be one the teams to beat.

This team is gonna be around for a while, they've got a great HC, something the Cards DEFINITLEY did not have when Ouchie and I used to slam their asses and, well, they're the Suns. I may be a little leery of Sarver, but this summer will truly tell us what and how he's gonna run this team. Until then, you have to believe until otherwise proven wrong.

Besides, a win tonight means this series is going 7 - and I'll take my chances with a healthy Raja and Nash in Dallas.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

Face it, we have overachieved. More so than any team in the NBA. God, I love these guys for their guts and effort and I'll be screaming at the TV in a few hours, but we are done.

can't argue with skorp, even though i think he's given up too much on amare. he might never be our amare again, but he'll be a fairly good player.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05