Nuggets at Suns 7pm FSN AZ HD

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Post game interview Marcus took a shot at the coach with a line along the lines of "I was hitting the shots well... like I have been" you could TOTALLY tell he was directing that at dantoni

Dantoni's post game conference had him looking frustrated. IVe never seen someone be so disgruntled after such a ridiculous win. I'd say mainly because he drifted from his usual plan and it ended up being ridiculously successful. He wasnt sincere about banks' game and made it seem more complicated than just "put in whoever can make baskets." He also conveyed the possiblity that he may be the only one that understands the lineup, let alone basketball. He pulled the "if I play banks more that means raja doesnt get time." Meanwhile diaw had what, 28 minutes and 4 points? /golfclap

Post game wrapup with whatshisname and Chambers had them taking shots at dantoni too. Saying banks has to be taken out of dantonis doghouse now, feeding amare makes him produce, and running places to focus on marion gets him in the game so much better.

Dantoni is officially the odd man out in this organization

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Look, if the Suns had gone into someone else's building and that home opponent shot 20-31 from long range, we'd all be saying, "Eh, if a team shoots the lights out like that, there isn't much you can do, but it happens only once a year or so." And we would be right. In fact I distinctly remember a game from the Barkley years where the Nets came in and shot something like 80% in the first quarter, including a lot of difficult shots, and all the Suns could do was shrug. It happens.

What I'm saying is that we should be more interested in seeing the Suns play strategically sound ball. They gave up a ton of second shots, as usual, and committed a whopping 32 fouls. Figure 15-second possessions on average, and that's one foul for every three Denver possessions! That says a lot more to me than does a surreal shooting night from a guy who isn't even in the rotation.

Gift-horse...mouth...etc

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As far as Banks is concerned, D'Antoni said:
I do want to keep playing him. It might be five minutes here, 10 minutes here, depending on how the game goes. But I have to be able to count on him no matter what and I think right now I can.
And that is exactly the point. Can Banks stay consistent whether he plays 10 minutes or 25? Can he still shoot the ball reasonably well and make sound decisions on offense, while playing solid defense? He had a great game tonight, but we already knew he could score. The defense on AI was good, but he hasn't shown much of that before. Will we see it again? I am all for letting him play some minutes every game, but he is still the 9th men on this team for the time being, which means he won't be playing 20+ minutes a game every night. He still needs to show that he can play well every night, regardless of how many minutes he gets. Until then, he should not be replacing anyone in the rotation.

cly2tw

Reaction score
As far as Banks is concerned, D'Antoni said:

And that is exactly the point. Can Banks stay consistent whether he plays 10 minutes or 25? Can he still shoot the ball reasonably well and make sound decisions on offense, while playing solid defense? He had a great game tonight, but we already knew he could score. The defense on AI was good, but he hasn't shown much of that before. Will we see it again? I am all for letting him play some minutes every game, but he is still the 9th men on this team for the time being, which means he won't be playing 20+ minutes a game every night. He still needs to show that he can play well every night, regardless of how many minutes he gets. Until then, he should not be replacing anyone in the rotation.

This is DA's logic, a hypocritical one. If you don't play him, how do you figure out whether he would produce consistently? The roster with all the lingering health and energy problem can need Banks play. His play in the limited min. given to him suggested he'd deserve to be given a chance of consistent min. over say at least 10-20 games.

DA would play Pike before he'd insert Banks for awhile, exact for fear of games like today. With performance like this from Banks, he'd become the goat for losing games when he didn't play Banks for stretches. But then he'd have a huge problem: He'd not know how to distribute the min among 9 players! He could only coach a team that regulary only use 7 occasionally 8 rotation players. My God, Heaven is falling down!:sad:

Ciani

Registered
Reaction score
Defensive rebounding was terrible again, there is no excuse for either big men for not boxing out.

But I dont agree that the defense was such a big problem. When it was the most important the team played great D, mainly in the first quarter. When you up by 15-20 points, its normal that players dont play very hard defense (except Banks who has to prove that he worth more playing time).

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is DA's logic, a hypocritical one. If you don't play him, how do you figure out whether he would produce consistently?
But we did play him. He played in the first six games of the season, and in seven of the first eight. His minutes ranged from 5 to 15 per game, which is what you would expect from the 9th man in the rotation. But he was not consistent. He followed a game where he shot 4-7 with one where he shot 1-6. He followed another game where he shot 6-8 with three games where he shot combined 0-6 before he was benched. In four of the seven games he played he didn't score a single point. And that's with him playing mostly off the ball (in five of those games he didn't register a single assist).
His play in the limited min. given to him suggested he'd deserve to be given a chance of consistent min. over say at least 10-20 games.
So far he played well in the last two games (close to 20 minutes each). He also had two decent games last month. I agree he should be getting playing time each night, but it may not always be 20 minutes. He should be able to contribute even if he only plays 5-10. If he does that every night, his playing time will increase.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course... Banks performance makes him look like a fool.

Yeah.... Dantoni has worrn me thin in the last year or so.

Love the style, hate the rotations.

He will fizzle out soon. Probably this year if we go out in the first or second round.

If Banks would have been played earlier in the season, there would have been A LOT of fans that would have wanted him fired, oh wait, nevermind.

There were so many people on the anti-Banks wagon just less than a month ago, are these people looking like fools too?

This is DA's logic, a hypocritical one. If you don't play him, how do you figure out whether he would produce consistently? The roster with all the lingering health and energy problem can need Banks play. His play in the limited min. given to him suggested he'd deserve to be given a chance of consistent min. over say at least 10-20 games.

DA would play Pike before he'd insert Banks for awhile, exact for fear of games like today. With performance like this from Banks, he'd become the goat for losing games when he didn't play Banks for stretches. But then he'd have a huge problem: He'd not know how to distribute the min among 9 players! He could only coach a team that regulary only use 7 occasionally 8 rotation players. My God, Heaven is falling down!:sad:

It is not hypocritical at all. As a role player/bench player, you HAVE to be prepared to have 20minutes one night, and 0 the next.

I didn't watch the game last night. I plan on watching it tonight.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
For the record I was never anti-banks. :)

I am pro-trade banks, simply because Dantoni refuses to groom him.

Skumbag

Registered
Reaction score
I've been saying to play Banks since last season. If at least for smaller quicker gaurds, i.e. AI, TP, etc

He also played pretty good D on Baron Davis last year on our last meeting against GSW.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was a good win against one of the top teams in the west, geesh some people are never satisfied! They scored because the pace of the game was very quick with the amount of shots we hit obviously equals more possesions for the Nugz as well. And not to mention we put up 137 on the top defensive team in the league I think the announcers mentioned. This was the most convincing win this team has had all season and people want to pick it apart. Enjoy a sound thumping of a quality team and the effort put forth by our Suns and realize if this team is focused they can do this to ANY team in the league. The sky is not falling the little game and no show by amare seemed to have sparked everyone talking and coming together, now lets see if that lasts!

HooverDam

Reaction score

This is an insane post. You honestly think D'Antoni has the following thought process "I can't play Banks- what if he does well!?"

Our fan base has lost its marbles.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a good win against one of the top teams in the west, geesh some people are never satisfied! They scored because the pace of the game was very quick with the amount of shots we hit obviously equals more possesions for the Nugz as well. And not to mention we put up 137 on the top defensive team in the league I think the announcers mentioned. This was the most convincing win this team has had all season and people want to pick it apart. Enjoy a sound thumping of a quality team and the effort put forth by our Suns and realize if this team is focused they can do this to ANY team in the league. The sky is not falling the little game and no show by amare seemed to have sparked everyone talking and coming together, now lets see if that lasts!

Interesting.... you aren't normally so positive.

This is an insane post. You honestly think D'Antoni has the following thought process "I can't play Banks- what if he does well!?"

Our fan base has lost its marbles.

Agree 100%.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Me not positive? Not sure who you speak of :) I am a Suns fan since I moved here 20yrs ago and I think people are overreacting a bit. Are we a perfect team right now, no but who is? Normally I would wait until around the Allstar break to see how a teams season is going, the Suns will be fine! I think they played inspired and I think thats the team that will show up in the playoffs, I feel they are coasting a bit and when they feel they need to play they do. I think we need to go on a bit of a roll and put some wins up to calm everyone down. Its not like we have gotten blown out by all the good teams we have played, we were in almost every game and just weren't able to close some of them out.

cly2tw

Reaction score
So far he played well in the last two games (close to 20 minutes each). He also had two decent games last month. I agree he should be getting playing time each night, but it may not always be 20 minutes. He should be able to contribute even if he only plays 5-10. If he does that every night, his playing time will increase.

Then, our position might not be apart by much. However, DA is known to have the short leash on him. Often times, nobody can really get untracked for 5 min. garbage time where the coach never cares to prepare the bench for anyway. He rendered to the rein to Nash who'd be sitting on bench in those cases. It's unfair, and often just excuse for sticking to his philosophy of playing 7 guys as the ideal.

If Banks would have been played earlier in the season, there would have been A LOT of fans that would have wanted him fired, oh wait, nevermind.

There were so many people on the anti-Banks wagon just less than a month ago, are these people looking like fools too?

Majority of fans have been on trade-Amare bandwagon in one or another form so far this season. Now, many came to conclusion that The System was at least equally responsible for demoralizing Amare's spirit.

From what we saw last season in the game vs. Warriors and the recent 3 games, I don't believe there is doubt that Banks would have been more useful in every aspect of the game than Pike who got some minutes for a while. Maybe Banks was sulking or a locker room cancer of sort, so that DA didn't want to play him for that reason. But if not,

then I meant it, though, he might be doing this subconsciously.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Majority of fans have been on trade-Amare bandwagon in one or another form so far this season. Now, many came to conclusion that The System was at least equally responsible for demoralizing Amare's spirit.

Majority? Sure as hell not me.

If the majority has felt that way, we have lost our damn minds.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pay attention to a stretch in the 3rd after Amare sat. We had trouble to create any spacing on offense then.

In theory (coach D's theory), with Amare out, you would think that could create more spece with him out of the lineup. That would leave 4 players near or around the 3 point line, giving Nash even more room to penetrate.

cly2tw

Reaction score
In theory (coach D's theory), with Amare out, you would think that could create more spece with him out of the lineup. That would leave 4 players near or around the 3 point line, giving Nash even more room to penetrate.

Exactly! That's why we have been having problems, and I believe the origin of chemistry problem.

Ever after the Spurs series, the league have Nash and the System figured out. They don't as easily get confused in their defensive set when Nash penetrates and circles around the paint, thus no real spacing gain any more. They often put an athletic 3 to shadow him taking lessons from Bowen. It's no coincidence that Nash has been having more turnovers.

But DA and Nash seemed to want to force their way there nevertheless. The result is the general frustration with how we played. We, as DA put it, have way too much talent to achieve just this little for the last 2+ seasons. With giving the rein to Nash, our potential franchise player for the future Amare never gets a chance to work on basic bigman skills to prepare for the time after Nash's reign. That's frustrating for me as a Suns fan to watch.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ever after the Spurs series, the league have Nash and the System figured out. They don't as easily get confused in their defensive set when Nash penetrates and circles around the paint, thus no real spacing gain any more. They often put an athletic 3 to shadow him taking lessons from Bowen. It's no coincidence that Nash has been having more turnovers.
For a figured out system, we're leading the league in field goal % and points scored again. :p The numbers are very similar to last season's : 110.1 points this season vs 110.2 pts last season, 49.3% field goal % this season vs 49.4% field goal % last season.

Nash is averaging 3.6 turnovers per game this season compared to 3.8 turnovers per game last season.

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
For a figured out system, we're leading the league in field goal % and points scored again. :p The numbers are very similar to last season's : 110.1 points this season vs 110.2 pts last season, 49.3% field goal % this season vs 49.4% field goal % last season.

Nash is averaging 3.6 turnovers per game this season compared to 3.8 turnovers per game last season.

I report what I have seen in the games. DA himself even said something to similar effect. There have been a lot of turnovers he'd never committed this way in previous seasons. To give you more fuel, his assists number is career high even. From the stats sheet, nobody would sense anything wrong with the team and a casual stats-reading bystander would wonder why the frustration at all! So, you gotta watch the games to see what's wrong!

PS: well, maybe one could point out the rebounding stats and nail it on our bigs which is Amare, and conclude we should trade Amare for a rebounding beast, say Camby :(

Last edited:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I report what I have seen in the games. DA himself even said something to similar effect. There have been a lot of turnovers he'd never committed this way in previous seasons. To give you more fuel, his assists number is career high even. From the stats sheet, nobody would sense anything wrong with the team and a casual stats-reading bystander would wonder why the frustration at all! So, you gotta watch the games to see what's wrong!

PS: well, maybe one could point out the rebounding stats and nail it on our bigs which is Amare, and conclude we should trade Amare for a rebounding beast, say Camby :(

You started off good, then it just got silly.

nowagimp

Reaction score

This is silly, amare helps make space by forcing the double team in the lane. This leaves someone open outside. When Nash penetrates, the help defense is more worried about his little dumpoffs to a 58% FG shooter(amare) than his inside game. The spacing on the suns is hurt when the outside shooting is off. The Nugz left marion wide open and they paid the price in the first half last night. The inconsistent shooters: LB, Raja, Marion will determine when the the spacing is good. With a streaky shooter like marion, when he starts to miss, you lay off him(he made no 3's in the second half). Lately Raja and LB have been inconsistent as well. If Banks keeps shooting at his current level(53% from 3pt range), the spacing will be very good, as long as he plays. Playing Diaw and Marion at the same time will often lead to bad spacing as most teams do not respect their outsiode shooting. I say go marcus go, learn the system, take care of the ball, execute and you will play. Banks form really does really look better this year, his footwork on the shot looks improved.