Nuggets at Suns 7pm FSN AZ HD

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
dantoni a little on edge in the post game questions...

good points are being brought up though Reporters are trying to tell mike to play banks and he is shooting over 50% for the season. D'antoni response was it helps when you go 7-8 from three point range(like tonight:lol:). Mike suggested giving banks more minutes but he doesn't expect the same results.It sounds like Mike doesn't want to cut into Raja's minutes.:(

cly2tw

Reaction score
good points are being brought up though Reporters are trying to tell mike to play banks and he is shooting over 50% for the season. D'antoni response was it helps when you go 7-8 from three point range(like tonight:lol:). Mike suggested giving banks more minutes but he doesn't expect the same results.It sounds like Mike doesn't want to cut into Raja's minutes.:(

It's exactly like Nash's comments after we routed the Clippers the first game, saying Kaman was playing bad as the reason we won.:(

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
i said in the NO game thread as well as earlier in today's game thread how excited i was to see banks again.... and we saw exactly why tonight. he locked down on defense, hustled, and shot the lights out.i knew he had it in him somewhere.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah i dont think dantoni liked the comment/suggestion by the reporter. mike's a dumb arse...

i wish the rest of the post game questions were aired.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You know it's your night when Banks, Marion, & Skinner are draining threes.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As much as I hate D'antoni when the Suns are losing, I sure do hate him more when they win like this.

In the kind of minutes that Banks has been getting you would expect him to come out pressing and play like crap (as he did last year). However, he has been really good in the inconsistent PT that he's been getting, but for some reason this doesn't earn him more minutes.

On the other hand Diaw is no longer a bball player, but continues to get plenty of minutes, much like he and James Jones were getting last season.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Yeah.... Dantoni has worrn me thin in the last year or so.

Love the style, hate the rotations.

He will fizzle out soon. Probably this year if we go out in the first or second round.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He will fizzle out soon. Probably this year if we go out in the first or second round.
i feel exactly the same way as you do.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great game tonight and a good way to try to answer all the questions. I saw a lot of team ball and passion tonight. Marion carried the first half, Amare the second. In between they were high fiving each other and having a good time.

Marion finished +27 and Amare +23. Amare's was especially impressive considering his limited minutes.

It really is amazing (and sad) that Diaw can finish with 1 rebound when he was 4th on the team in minutes.

Kudos to Marion for having more blocks (6) than the #1 shot blocking team in the NBA (4)

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Players will change before D'Antoni does. Like it or not D'Antoni + Nash=Sold Out Arena and that is what ultimately matters most to our owner.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Great game tonight and a good way to try to answer all the questions. I saw a lot of team ball and passion tonight. Marion carried the first half, Amare the second. In between they were high fiving each other and having a good time.

Marion finished +27 and Amare +23. Amare's was especially impressive considering his limited minutes.

It really is amazing (and sad) that Diaw can finish with 1 rebound when he was 4th on the team in minutes.

Kudos to Marion for having more blocks (6) than the #1 shot blocking team in the NBA (4)

That's the key word there: passion. When this team plays with passion and purpose, they're as good as any team in the league. When they play nonchalantly like they did in the first quarter against Dallas and in the 2nd half against the Hornets, they'll lose more often than they should.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one who isn't too thrilled about this win. The Suns had plenty of energy on offense, most of the time, but their defense was terrible again. If not for their sensational three-point shooting, they easily could have lost. Realize that 12-31 (instead of the 20-31 they shot) would still be a very good 39%, but would have resulted in 24 fewer points. That's less than the margin of victory.

If the Suns need 12 three-pointers from Banks and Marion combined in order to win convincingly against a low playoff seed, I don't see that as cause for celebration.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one who isn't too thrilled about this win. The Suns had plenty of energy on offense, most of the time, but their defense was terrible again. If not for their sensational three-point shooting, they easily could have lost. Realize that 12-31 (instead of the 20-31 they shot) would still be a very good 39%, but would have resulted in 24 fewer points. That's less than the margin of victory.

If the Suns need 12 three-pointers from Banks and Marion combined in order to win convincingly against a low playoff seed, I don't see that as cause for celebration.

You can flip that and say that the Nuggets needed 23 offensive rebounds to keep it from being a 40 point destruction. You can what if any situation in either direction.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score

I tend to look at the 'contribution' from Banks as the positive. Not his points, but the production he gave while on the court. In addition, the Suns have been taking quit a bit of heat over the weekend, and they looked fully engaged in the game offensively. Defense will never be a strong point of the Suns while D'Antoni is at the helm and guys like LB, Diaw, and Nash are on the floor. However Banks did a pretty good job on AI when he was in the game - and that was one of the big reasons he was brought to Phoenix. That has to be a positive.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You can flip that and say that the Nuggets needed 23 offensive rebounds to keep it from being a 40 point destruction. You can what if any situation in either direction.

Yeah, but which happens more often: Marion and Banks make 12 three-pointers, or a Suns opponent gets a ton of offensive rebounds?

bigfoot

Mystery solved.
Reaction score

My question though is would they have attempted that many 3s if they weren't that hot from that range in the beginning? If they weren't hitting those 3s early, I think it may have changed the dynamics of the game, so there's really no telling. The one thing I can tell is the energy from Banks and Marion and Stat when he is in.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score

That logic assumes that the Suns would not have scored any points on those posessions is faulty. Couldn't one say that the Nuggets got 32 from Iverson and still got blown out, thus they are in trouble?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Yeah, but which happens more often: Marion and Banks make 12 three-pointers, or a Suns opponent gets a ton of offensive rebounds?

The Suns making a ton of 3 pointers is supposed to happen, although it may not be Marion and Banks making the bulk of them.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
That logic assumes that the Suns would not have scored any points on those posessions is faulty. Couldn't one say that the Nuggets got 32 from Iverson and still got blown out, thus they are in trouble?

Not really, since 32 is only a few points above his season average. The question is, how unusual is the event you're depending on? Iverson scores 30+ all the time.

The Suns making a ton of 3 pointers is supposed to happen, although it may not be Marion and Banks making the bulk of them.

You know that the 20 they made tonight is a franchise record, right? That means it happens very rarely. And it goes without saying that they will not often shoot 65% from long range, especially on that many attempts.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Not really, since 32 is only a few points above his season average. The question is, how unusual is the event you're depending on? Iverson scores 30+ all the time.

You know that the 20 they made tonight is a franchise record, right? That means it happens very rarely. And it goes without saying that they will not often shoot 65% from long range, especially on that many attempts.

Right, I'm agreeing that exactly what happened for the Suns tonight was not the norm, but it is not way off base.

At any rate, that doesn't change the fact that you can point to anything every game and say "if this didn't happen then this would have." As Chris pointed out earlier, it goes both ways.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

true, but let's be honest here, what happened tonight was nowhere NEAR the norm. and i'm not just talking about it being marion, banks, and skinner raining fire, i'm talking the sheer numbers ain't normal. i mean, they tied a TEAM RECORD with the amount of treys hit tonight, that in and of itself speaks to how rare their accomplishment is.

cly2tw

Reaction score

The fallacy in your argument lies in your static focus on numbers. The game has its own dynamic. The way the energy flowed and players sticking to the game plan most of time, even the 3 pt accurancy wasn't there, we could have won it differently. Also, the piling up of 3s was a dynamical consequence of our guys feeling it. Otherwise, we wouldn't have shot that many.

These what-ifs are not very useful. I used to think I'd be a much better economist had I had a major in Math in college. But now I realize that the life process would have been totally different with unclear prediction. It's moot to worry too much there, unless we find glaring mistakes particularly of the reoccurring kind.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Banks has another night like this then he defintaly needs to start ahead of Bell that is for sure he would help us so much more with his defense and shooting.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Look, if the Suns had gone into someone else's building and that home opponent shot 20-31 from long range, we'd all be saying, "Eh, if a team shoots the lights out like that, there isn't much you can do, but it happens only once a year or so." And we would be right. In fact I distinctly remember a game from the Barkley years where the Nets came in and shot something like 80% in the first quarter, including a lot of difficult shots, and all the Suns could do was shrug. It happens.

What I'm saying is that we should be more interested in seeing the Suns play strategically sound ball. They gave up a ton of second shots, as usual, and committed a whopping 32 fouls. Figure 15-second possessions on average, and that's one foul for every three Denver possessions! That says a lot more to me than does a surreal shooting night from a guy who isn't even in the rotation.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Most encouraging about Banks performance tonight was not that he hit 7/8 3s but his general calm demeanor on offense without hasty motions/drives of his last season trials, as someone also mentioned in this thread. He does not look to be the negative disruptive force on offense he used to be. And he plays very good D albeit often overaggressively.

So, we def. should play him more.