Official Game 1 Thread

cheng

Veteran
Reaction score
I knew Marbury would take over after the 3rd quarter, this time he waited until the last second and got the job done.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Originally posted by thegrahamcrackr
the best thing is....we beat the spurs while we played like ass. we should have been blown out the way we played

The Suns did not play well today, but this them never stops fighting.

Good defense today to keep it close.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns didn't play well, but neither did the Spurs.

I think I actually had a heart attack right when Marbury hit that...wow, what a game.

Mike

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm going to send this picture to David Aldridge and all the other analysts who gave the Suns no chance . . .

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
i just listened to the replays on the radio...EJ was laughing after both Amare's and Steph's shots....heheh I guess I would be too

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW

Imagine what is going on inside the Spurs head's right now? We have beaten them 4 out of 5 games. That isn't a fluke, that is dominance.

The Spurs MUST win game 2 or this series is over.

Amare Stoudemire is going to be an all-pro player.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I don't post often but... WOW!!

UN-FU¢KING-BELIEVABLE!

Recap: Suns are down in the first half, clearly outplayed, yet manage to scratch and claw their way to only a 5 pt half-time deficit. The whole second half they were down (even double digits) but still managed to fight their way to give themselves a chance to tie at the end of Regulation and then again to win at the end of overtime. What resilience!

We've done this all season long (coming back by behind) and it still amazes me when we hit all those clutch shots. No Suns team with Kidd at the helm would have this kind of heart and poise and confidence at the end of games. Easily the most i have yelled at the TV in a while.

Stoudemire! What can you say about this guy? I had no idea what to expect after the "I've got another gear. A couple more gears, really. The guys are ready. <b> I'm ready </b>." Wow was he ever. This guy is going to be special. He had so many clutch plays: the block on Duncan's dunk attempt near the end of regulation (i think), the bank 3, several key rebounds, the huge hook to tie the game at 91 in OT. <b> This is his <i>First (!)</i> playoff game. </b> Outplayed questionably the best PF in the league.

I'm impressed. Bring on game 2.

All the way from vancouver,
SF69

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
H#$&^$%#&~~+!!!!

I was on the phone during the 4th quarter w/a friend in another state. Kept saying "No, no...the game is on in the background, the Spurs put it away..."

Un-freakin'-believable! :thumbup:

Jerbob

Reaction score
I must add my WOW to those already given.

This actually tops Rex the Wonderdog's falling out of bounds 3, and KJ's play of the whole game through triple overtime. WOW!!!

dyle_ph1

Registered
Reaction score
I was driving on my way home from work and just following the game from my cellphone.. at first i cant' believe it went to overtime.. And then i actually thought the suns lost the game. I turned off the internet connection on my phone when it was 95-93 but turned it back on five minutes later and found out that the suns managed to pull it off!!!! I was screaming inside my car the rest of the way LOL!! Way to go Suns!!!!!

cheng

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Suns_fan69

We've done this all season long (coming back by behind) and it still amazes me when we hit all those clutch shots. No Suns team with Kidd at the helm would have this kind of heart and poise and confidence at the end of games.

I can't agree more!

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really thought the refs gave the Spurs every chance to win the game and helped them get the couple of runs that they had by calling a lot of fouls against the Suns. The Suns did play poorly for most of the game, but they kept themselves close enough. That was just an amazing way to send the game into overtime and to get the win. I can't believe Duncan missed 3 out of 4 free throws in the last 16 seconds of the game.

What a great ending to a bad game. Let's do it again.

azfan43

Rookie
Reaction score
i dont post much......

but WOW, i cant believe this! what a game, but alot of people are talking about how poorly of a game the suns played. this is true, we did. but a wise man once told me..... "great teams find a way to win." we had alot of bad stats, but in the end, the only stat that matters is the win or loss. and the suns are marked under WIN.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought that the Suns played poorly, but I also thought the refs didn't make a lot of calls for the Suns when they were fouled during shots. The Suns still shot better than the Spurs, it was something like 43% to 40% for the game.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
i was forced to listen to the game on the radio and caught the last play. trying to imagine what was happening and not seeing it was tourture.

the last call went somthing like this...."ok here we go suns down two. marbury drives down court puts up the shot..."

at this time my heart was racing and i was wondering what had happened. it seemed like 30 mins before good old dr. jack ramsy screamed "SSSSSSUUUUUNNNNS WINNNN" and "marbury does it to the spurs again"

classic. i picked a win in game one...how about you guys?:)

overally i said suns in six. now that may be a streatch:) still got to play tough

GO SUNS!

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here's a little more play by play for ya.......

Robinson is shooting free throws with about 8 seconds left on the clock. He hits the 1st (Spurs up by 2) and misses the 2nd. The rebound is coming down to Amare and Duncan jumps up from behind him and tips it back to himself (possible over-the-back non-call). The Suns foul Duncan and the clock stops with about 6.8 seconds left on the clock. Duncan misses both free throws and Marion and David Robinson both go for the rebound and it gets tipped right to Marbury who is a few feet away from the out-of-bounds line under the basket. He drives the ball the full length of the court and at halfcourt he starts cutting across the floor from the left to the right and takes a leaning soaring jump from about a foot behind the 3 pt line and nails the 3 with Parker right next to him. Then the Suns all sprint off the court before the refs have a chance to review the play to make sure he got it off in time. It was good anyways.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
******** - I just wrote this whole thing about Steph and Amare and it got erased somehow! Bottom line is both guys have fear and believe their next shot is going in no matter what they are doing. They play against the best and go right at them. Amare's lack of hestitation hoisting up a three? Are you kidding me - the weird thing is I knew that shot had no chance of going in clean, but I honestly believed it was going in via the Bank. Steph face was priceless.

Those two guys are taking us to the promised land - maybe not this year but soon. Amare demanding on the ball, right or wrong at his age and subsequent triumps and failuers remind of another player we all hate - Kobe - but that's not a bad thing - we hate Kobe because of the envy -the guy is nails but he always had that confidence - this team hasn't had that since 93 - thus the reason it hasn't been successful. Now we have two of those guys - Amare - dare I even say this - if he keeps his head screwed on right is gonna end up being being possibly the greatest PF of all time - I'm talking the Shaq of Power Frowards - quick and powerful - but a free throw shooter as well.

Can't say enough about Steph either - his last shot was why we got him - his clutch free throws to keep up close - was why we got him - him jacking up 28 shots is why we got him. Yes he forced the action - but he was taking good shots - they just weren't falling today - if they were - we kill that pathetic team. Steph is the man, Amare is the man, and eventually when Shawn Marion ends up being our third option, this team will dominate like we have never seen a Suns team Dominate before. This was the day this team was born - when the final seconds tick of as we win our first championship, this will be the game I remember as the beginning of Jerry's Finest Work. Bring on Game 2 BEEYATCHES!!!!!!

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
Awsome. Greatest shot since Chapman's fadeaway 3 pointer. Most thrillling game since the game 3 triple OT game in Chicago.
Gotta be one of the top moments in Suns history

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was sitting home alone, screaming at the frustration at having Duncan rebound Parker's missed free throw, but I got a good look at Duncan's face and you could tell he was uptight. So I kept watching.

Good thing.

A couple of comments:

1. Penny Hardaway tried to be the hero and just about gave away the game.

2. Frank Johnson didn't coach a perfect game (took too long to adjust to the Spurs diving and driving off the doubleteam) but he coached a GOOD game, several times making Popovich react to our lineup.

3. And kudos again to Frank Johnson for having the guts to keep calling Amare's number in the 4th quarter.

4. Anybody notice how often Amare is going to his left now, rather than always to his right like he was early in the season?

5. The Amare block of Duncan on Tim's stuff attempt makes my top 5 plays of the year.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
1. Penny Hardaway tried to be the hero and just about gave away the game.

I'm going to disagree with this. The big plays I remember are his missed three early in the shot clock with the Suns down by two (?), and his offensive foul when the Suns were trying to push for an easy basket. I had no problem with what Hardaway did on either play.

For the three, he was wide open, and he has been shooting well from the perimeter this year. The Suns were having a hard time getting good looks, and Hardaway tried to take advantage of the Spurs forgetting about him. I'll bet the Spurs were none too happy to have given that shot up, until it missed of course.

I thought the charging call was bogus. The Spur defender was trying to get in Hardaway's way and just tripped himself up. Hardaway might have pushed off a little, but that would not usually be called. I think he was correct to stay aggressive and put the pressure on the defense.

Are there other questionable plays I'm forgetting?

5. The Amare block of Duncan on Tim's stuff attempt makes my top 5 plays of the year.

Yeah, that was great!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
******** - I just wrote this whole thing about Steph and Amare and it got erased somehow! Bottom line is both guys have fear and believe their next shot is going in no matter what they are doing. They play against the best and go right at them. Amare's lack of hestitation hoisting up a three? Are you kidding me - the weird thing is I knew that shot had no chance of going in clean, but I honestly believed it was going in via the Bank. Steph face was priceless.

Those two guys are taking us to the promised land - maybe not this year but soon. Amare demanding on the ball, right or wrong at his age and subsequent triumps and failuers remind of another player we all hate - Kobe - but that's not a bad thing - we hate Kobe because of the envy -the guy is nails but he always had that confidence - this team hasn't had that since 93 - thus the reason it hasn't been successful. Now we have two of those guys - Amare - dare I even say this - if he keeps his head screwed on right is gonna end up being being possibly the greatest PF of all time - I'm talking the Shaq of Power Frowards - quick and powerful - but a free throw shooter as well.

Can't say enough about Steph either - his last shot was why we got him - his clutch free throws to keep up close - was why we got him - him jacking up 28 shots is why we got him. Yes he forced the action - but he was taking good shots - they just weren't falling today - if they were - we kill that pathetic team. Steph is the man, Amare is the man, and eventually when Shawn Marion ends up being our third option, this team will dominate like we have never seen a Suns team Dominate before. This was the day this team was born - when the final seconds tick of as we win our first championship, this will be the game I remember as the beginning of Jerry's Finest Work. Bring on Game 2 BEEYATCHES!!!!!!

I agree Cheesy!

The Suns are slowly creeping closer to being my number one sports team, ahead of the Cards.

Marbury is such a gamer, Stoudemire is unbelievable, Marion is so athletic, Joe Johnson has the sweetest stroke, Bo Outlaw tries harder than anyone, Jake Voskuhl is pretty good on the offensive glass, Penny is a stabilizing factor, Big Jake is big (and dumb :D)...I love this team.