Official - Texans Sign Leinart

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I was curious about this as well and NFL.com's depth chart shows that no one is wearing #11. I thought one of their receivers had that number but not according to what I recently read.

EDIT: well, hell. I just looked again and Andre Davis has that number(11).

11 would make sense...

freebyrd

Reaction score
thank god out of the division, now go get your fresh start matt, good luck to you

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good place for Matt. With Schaub's injury history, Matt could see the field often this year & audition for a longer-term contract next year. But, I still feel for those poor Texan fans. They have lost so many close ones the past 3 years. Can you imagine that with the game on the line, they will depend on Leinart moving them into fg range & then Rackers kicking with the game on the line.

We've seen that movie before.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Whis is a great coach but his history with QB's isn't one of his strengths.

Roethlisberger can't stand him and has done very well without him.

Leinart...well, you know.

Warner's the only guy who did well with Whis and he has a historic capacity for perseverance.

Whis is untouchable but I don't think he's right in this situation. And I don't think Leinart ever got the right treatment from Whis. Tearing a player down and ruining his confidence is essentially all he did to Leinart. I'm not saying that was his intention, but that is what he accomplished.

He obviously read Leinart wrong and what he got after "fixing" him was a QB who isn't even as good as he was as a rookie in '06.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score

Warner's the only guy who did well with Whis and he has a historic capacity for perseverance.

Whis is untouchable but I don't think he's right in this situation. And I don't think Leinart ever got the right treatment from Whis. Tearing a player down and ruining his confidence is essentially all he did to Leinart. I'm not saying that was his intention, but that is what he accomplished.

He obviously read Leinart wrong and what he got after "fixing" him was a QB who isn't even as good as he was as a rookie in '06.

I can't stand Rothlisburger either but he's a great QB.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Well said. Good luck to Matt.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score

First, are you only basing this on a 66% failure rate for a sample of three? Second, Matt is objectively a poor leader. Ben isn't a great character guy either. All this says to me is that Whis expects great character from the leaders of his teams.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Completely false. Whiz so far has done well with every QB he has had at his disposal. I know that Roesthlisberger and Whiz didnt exactly get along. But they still won a SB TOGETHER last I checked. So I would say you HAVE to consider that a glaring success regardless of their personal dislikes.

Warner speaks for itself.

Leinart simply doesn't have what it takes as far as we know. In fact I seriously doubt he ever gets past Orlovsky on the Texans depth chart.

On top of that. The quotes from Matt that I have read the last week about how Whiz being extremely hard on him? Matt responded stating that he thanked Whiz for it and it made hm a better FB player.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, are you only basing this on a 66% failure rate for a sample of three? Second, Matt is objectively a poor leader. Ben isn't a great character guy either. All this says to me is that Whis expects great character from the leaders of his teams.

First is that the first on the list isnt a failure. Not in the least. :)

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score

That's a great wrap on the issue as far as I'm concerned.

Certainly not the end of the Cardinal universe at all but a more truthful perspective than he simply sucked eggs and our coach is God.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
So which reports are the fans supposed to believe? Up until a week or two ago, he was doing ALL the right things off the field. Now that they decided to cut him we're supposed to believe that they aren't spinning the situation?

This has been a witch hunt in much the same way that Warner was treated and run out of St. Louis.

Coincidence or irony? I get those two confused sometimes.

1.) Whiz was being a good soldiar and touting the company line.

2.) You don't lose th respect of your teammates and coaches by doing everything you're supposed to do.

3.) Check back here 3-4 years from now. And when Matty continues to flame out, I'd love to hear your spin then... perhaps the rest of the coaches in the league had it in for poor 'lil Matty too, huh??

Last edited:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Certainly not the end of the Cardinal universe at all but a more truthful perspective than he simply sucked eggs and our coach is God.

That would be great if his perspective was accurate. The Leinart sucks eggs comment was actually more accurate.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a more negative perspective but it remains to be seen whether it's more truthful. Giving our coach the benefit of the doubt is not the same thing as proclaiming him God. This whole thing did not turn out well for us and as the head coach, Whiz certainly deserves some of the blame but I can't understand why so many refuse to lay at least that much blame at Leinart's feet.

Steve

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
It's a more negative perspective but it remains to be seen whether it's more truthful. Giving our coach the benefit of the doubt is not the same thing as proclaiming him God. This whole thing did not turn out well for us and as the head coach, Whiz certainly deserves some of the blame but I can't understand why so many refuse to lay at least that much blame at Leinart's feet.

Steve

I don't really care, it was handled poorly all around.

Matt was who he was, and I could see him doing much better when handled differently.

In the end it worked out like it should but I see no reason to villify a QB like Matt simply to make people feel better.

The answer dosen't have to be that Matt was dog poo just because he wasn't Whiz's cup of tea.

I've said that he wasn't for years, glad Whiz finally got rid of him but that dosen't infer Matt could never do well under the right circumstances.

I believe in Whiz and what he's doing, I'd of had a stronger belief if he'd of won this battle over Matt faster but maybe he didn't always control it, which to me is a troubling sign for another reason, however it appears as of now he's in full command of who he gets roster wise which is as it should be.

It's now totally his team and I think we'll long term be much better for it.

Whiz has every right to populate his team with guys he likes and trusts to get the job done, his job depends on them.

Matt was never going to be that guy because Whiz didn't want him and never wanted him from the start, that IMO is an impossible situation all around and nothing Matt could of done would of ever changed that because you really can't change who you are and be successful.

So it's over, people can think what they want and I'm going to root for wins no matter who's at QB.

Last edited:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The answer dosen't have to be that Matt was dog poo just because he wasn't Whiz's cup of tea.

Your right that doesnt HAVE to be the answer. But it certainly COULD be the answer. You just refuse to leave that possibility on the table.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reality for ML

Because Ken Whisenhunt figured Leinart couldn't handle being a backup to Derek Anderson, the Cardinals released Leinart, and an even tougher reality hit him:

His former USC compatriots couldn't get him work.

Pete Carroll, his former coach, claimed Patriots seventh-round pick Zac Robinson instead of holding the third-string job for him in Seattle.

Close friend Carson Palmer pushed the Bengals to sign Leinart, according to sources, but they claimed Bears cut Dan LeFevour instead.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=5536408

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Your right that doesnt HAVE to be the answer. But it certainly COULD be the answer. You just refuse to leave that possibility on the table.

It's always on the table.

Let's see how he does where the coach is different, one year of detox and go from there.

Kubiak is completely different than Whiz, if he has the same opinon of Matt after his year there I'll freely admit I was wrong.

I don't have a problem admiting I'm wrong.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pete Carroll is not the GM of the Seahawks.

Could have swore I heard he was given PP control. regardless he is the HC and they HAVE AN OPENING. You think he could have lobbied for it if he wanted him.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Weren't Brian St. Pierre and Tyler Palko hand picked under Whis' regime as well? With all of Whis' good qualities why must his QB related abilities be defended to the death? They simply aren't a strength of his at this point.