Official - Texans Sign Leinart

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whis is a great coach but his history with QB's isn't one of his strengths.

Roethlisberger can't stand him and has done very well without him.

this one strikes me as funny. Wiz did enough to get Rothlesberger to play well enough... as a rookie... to be the QB of a team that went 15-1 (the 2nd best record OF ALL TIME) and get to the AFC Title game and then one upped that a year later with a Super Bowl run where Big Ben went NUTS in the AFC playoffs and they won a title there.

And Rothlesberger probably couldn't stand him because Wiz probably couldn't stand his immaturity, but hey, if you want to take the side of a guy who was suspended from the league for being a human piece of garbage, more power to ya.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this one strikes me as funny. Wiz did enough to get Rothlesberger to play well enough... as a rookie... to be the QB of a team that went 15-1 (the 2nd best record OF ALL TIME) and get to the AFC Title game and then one upped that a year later with a Super Bowl run where Big Ben went NUTS in the AFC playoffs and they won a title there.

And Rothlesberger probably couldn't stand him because Wiz probably couldn't stand his immaturity, but hey, if you want to take the side of a guy who was suspended from the league for being a human piece of garbage, more power to ya.

Thank you! :notworthy:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Weren't Brian St. Pierre and Tyler Palko hand picked under Whis' regime as well? With all of Whis' good qualities why must his QB related abilities be defended to the death? They simply aren't a strength of his at this point.

You mean players who were brought in to be the 3rd string QB never became stars? I think I'll give Whiz a pass on those two guys.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weren't Brian St. Pierre and Tyler Palko hand picked under Whis' regime as well? With all of Whis' good qualities why must his QB related abilities be defended to the death? They simply aren't a strength of his at this point.

he resurrected a guy who had been left for dead by 3 teams and put him in a position to be in the HOF conversation after his career was thought to be over and done with. his HOF status and previously groomed a rookie QB enough to get his team to 15-1 and then a Super Bowl a year later where that 2nd year QB went crazy against the entire AFC.

yeah... that track record SUCKS!

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Could have swore I heard he was given PP control. regardless he is the HC and they HAVE AN OPENING. You think he could have lobbied for it if he wanted him.
But I'm not the one who's assuming that he not only did not lobby for Leinart but chose someone else instead. Who knows what Carroll was actually lobbying for behind the scenes? From everything I've seen so far, everyone assumes he will take all of his ex-USC players and when he doesn't, it's an indictment against that player.

The reality is, the GM of the Seahawks just spent a relative crapload of money on Whitehurst and I'm sure he doesn't want to just give up on that plan already.

Drafted in '06, brought in to supplant an aging and ailing vet, hasn't impressed during the preseason of his 5th year in the league. Yeah, now I see your point. That's a guy that you give up on, right?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he resurrected a guy who had been left for dead by 3 teams and put him in a position to be in the HOF conversation after his career was thought to be over and done with. his HOF status and previously groomed a rookie QB enough to get his team to 15-1 and then a Super Bowl a year later where that 2nd year QB went crazy against the entire AFC.

Eh, I put that more on Warner and Haley than Whis. CKW was smart enough to back off, adjust the offense and let Kurt be Kurt - the resurrection had a lot more to do with Kurt than CKW.

I would concede Ben, but not Kurt.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Ahhggg

I think we got the worse of this deal, when live bullets fly week 1. Matt never picked the easy team, Shaub will be a challenge to beat out for the starting job.

I think Matt is better but not as experienced. that field leadership and chemistry has to happen on the field, not on the bench. I think our team is to drunk on their own kool aid, can afford to throw top talent down the drain.

one fans opinion.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13891873/agent-confirms-leinarts-oneyear-deal-with-texans

HOUSTON -- Matt Leinart has agreed to a one-year deal with the Houston Texans, according to agent Tom Condon.
Leinart was cut by Arizona on Saturday. Condon confirmed in a phone interview with the Associated Press on Monday that Leinart had reached a deal with the Texans.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and let Kurt be Kurt

If that was the case he would have stood back and let him continue to be a fumbling buffoon.

How you cant give Whiz credit is just a little silly IMO. Warner for 3 years prior to Whiz was pretty much very average.

He absolutely needs credit for his turnaround. JMO.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we got the worse of this deal, when live bullets fly week 1. Matt never picked the easy team, Shaub will be a challenge to beat out for the starting job.

I think Matt is better but not as experienced. that field leadership and chemistry has to happen on the field, not on the bench. I think our team is to drunk on their own kool aid, can afford to throw top talent down the drain.

one fans opinion.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13891873/agent-confirms-leinarts-oneyear-deal-with-texans

HOUSTON -- Matt Leinart has agreed to a one-year deal with the Houston Texans, according to agent Tom Condon.
Leinart was cut by Arizona on Saturday. Condon confirmed in a phone interview with the Associated Press on Monday that Leinart had reached a deal with the Texans.

Now I know you are delusional. Not that I needed anymore proof.

Leinart = better than Schaub in your opinion?

:lmao:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that was the case he would have stood back and let him continue to be a fumbling buffoon.

How you cant give Whiz credit is just a little silly IMO. Warner for 3 years prior to Whiz was pretty much very average.

agreed.

WAllyworld

Reaction score
Could have swore I heard he was given PP control. regardless he is the HC and they HAVE AN OPENING. You think he could have lobbied for it if he wanted him.

Pete Carroll does have control over personnel. He was smart to avoid Leinart. He has avoided USC personnel that could blow up in his face. He even avoided Taylor Mays in the draft. He is aware that USC players looked better than they actually were because of their supporting cast (and perhaps PEDs in some cases). That advantage is mitigated at the NFL level, where weaknesses cannot be covered as easily.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, Haley does. Not Whis. CKW basically let Kurt coach himself out there. Whis built the team, adjusted his offense to suit Kurt's strengths, etc. But Haley and Kurt were like a married couple, and that's what got the ball rolling with Kurt. Post-Haley, Whis practically deferred to Kurt. A very different situation than how he managed BR. You can say that's a smart coach understanding how to get the most out of his players, and I'd agree...but the catalyst for Kurt's turnaround was Haley and Kurt, not Whis and Kurt. And I think Haley is a dbag, but he's the guy who dug Kurt up, IMO.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, Haley does. Not Whis. CKW basically let Kurt coach himself out there. Whis built the team, adjusted his offense to suit Kurt's strengths, etc. But Haley and Kurt were like a married couple, and that's what got the ball rolling with Kurt. Post-Haley, Whis practically deferred to Kurt. A very different situation than how he managed BR. You can say that's a smart coach understanding how to get the most out of his players, and I'd agree...but the catalyst for Kurt's turnaround was Haley and Kurt, not Whis and Kurt. And I think Haley is a dbag, but he's the guy who dug Kurt up, IMO.

If Kurt was coaching himself out there why are you giving credit to Haley but not Whiz? The only thing I have ever heard from Kurt about Haley and vice versa was how they were always on the same page as far as the playbook goes and how to run the O. Kurt was looking pretty damn good in his first year under Whiz long before Haley took over play calling IIRC.

What does that have to do with his actual "physical" turnaround as a player?

Regardless it all happened under KW watch. He deserves credit. No ifs ands or butts.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score

Oh baloney. Whis benched him and had to play him because Leinart got hurt. It was Whis' offense that the Cardinals wisely abandoned and Warner went out and put up 27 TD's with a bionic arm.

Whis didn't take on Warner as a reclamation project he inherited him. He didn't fix Warner, the gloves allowed him to once again take snaps and hand the ball off without fumbling.

Whis is a hard-nosed, disciplinarian and from what he's done a pretty darned good HC overall. But his QB relations pretty much suck. Let's see where this conversation is after Anderson continues to turn the ball over in the regular season.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh baloney. Whis benched him and had to play him because Leinart got hurt. It was Whis' offense that the Cardinals wisely abandoned and Warner went out and put up 27 TD's with a bionic arm.

Whis didn't take on Warner as a reclamation project he inherited him. He didn't fix Warner, the gloves allowed him to once again take snaps and hand the ball off without fumbling.

Whis is a hard-nosed, disciplinarian and from what he's done a pretty darned good HC overall. But his QB relations pretty much suck. Let's see where this conversation is after Anderson continues to turn the ball over in the regular season.

What are you talking about? They never "abandoned" Whiz's offense?

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Matt never picked the easy team, Shaub will be a challenge to beat out for the starting job.
Schaub won't be a challenge. There is no challenge to the starting QB position in Houston. Schaub is the man, period! He was the #1 passing QB in the NFL last year.

Leinart's challenge is to shut up, work hard, pay attention, do what he's told, and always be ready. Maybe if he's lucky he can impress enough to move up to #2 on the depth chart. Nothing is given to you in this league, you have to earn it. Matt Leinart has earned nothing but a reputation as a spoiled little rich kid.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score

Wrong. 0 fumbles in two games to end '06 once he adopted the gloves. It wasn't Whis' idea for him to wear the gloves and it wasn't Whis' decision for Warner to start and it wasn't Whis' offense that catapulted the Cardinals into an elite offense.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I don't recall a spread "O", and Big Ben taking a majority of his snaps from the shotgun formation. Saw a lot of it when Kurt was in St. Louis.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Schaub won't be a challenge. There is no challenge to the starting QB position in Houston. Schaub is the man, period! He was the #1 passing QB in the NFL last year.

Leinart's challenge is to shut up, work hard, pay attention, do what he's told, and always be ready. Maybe if he's lucky he can impress enough to move up to #2 on the depth chart. Nothing is given to you in this league, you have to earn it. Matt Leinart has earned nothing but a reputation as a spoiled little rich kid.
Exactly.

I don't see Orlovsky just laying down for ML to play the #2.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
What are YOU talking about? You must not remember '07 very well. Leinart, Warner and the offense all looked like crap until Warner started running the 2 minute offense.

The base offense continued to look like crap until Warner got hurt and they started running the shotgun and spread sets that Warner liked because he couldn't take a snap for a few weeks. Once Whis saw how effective this was, he began to let Warner and Haley do their thing. When Whis was calling the plays though, the offense sucked.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't recall a spread "O", and Big Ben taking a majority of his snaps from the shotgun formation. Saw a lot of it when Kurt was in St. Louis.

That whole playbook is Whiz's offense. If it isn't can you tell me who's it is?

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Holy crap! I didn't know Matt's Snottsdale drinking buddies posted in these forums! Hai guys!

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
So you're saying Whis was being held back in Pittsburgh and really wanted Roethlisberger to throw the ball 600+ times per year rather than the sub 300 times that Whis himself called as the OC?

Or that the run heavy, Edge first approach that Whis took in '07 and again in '08 even after the 8-3, 27 TD effort by Warner and the offense in '07 wasn't Whis' actual offense?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

If you want to argue that Whiz has every play known to football in his playbook, I have no reason to disagree. But, when it was pared down and adjusted to KW's preferences and strengths, he was taking from the back end of his playbook, not the front. In other words, when it came to KW there was a lot of Martz's first chapter being trotted out on Sunday.