Official - Texans Sign Leinart

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
What are YOU talking about? You must not remember '07 very well. Leinart, Warner and the offense all looked like crap until Warner started running the 2 minute offense.

The base offense continued to look like crap until Warner got hurt and they started running the shotgun and spread sets that Warner liked because he couldn't take a snap for a few weeks. Once Whis saw how effective this was, he began to let Warner and Haley do their thing. When Whis was calling the plays though, the offense sucked.

I remember the gloves too.

To hear everyone now tell the legend it was the great Whiz who personally seated the tweaks to Warners arm that allowed us to achieve glory.

He did all this in his spare time, while wisely deflecting anyone from knowing he did this by using the puppet Haley to deflect anyone sniffing around lest they find the secret to his greatness.

:rolleyes:

I like Whiz a lot but come on, no one saw the Warner thing comming, no one, and that was mostly Warner and Haley's doing.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope Leinart starts for the Texans.

That would guarantee two wins per season for Vince Young and the Titans.

:D

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Kurt was coaching himself out there why are you giving credit to Haley but not Whiz? The only thing I have ever heard from Kurt about Haley and vice versa was how they were always on the same page as far as the playbook goes and how to run the O. Kurt was looking pretty damn good in his first year under Whiz long before Haley took over play calling IIRC.

What does that have to do with his actual "physical" turnaround as a player?

Regardless it all happened under KW watch. He deserves credit. No ifs ands or butts.

That's in reference to the year under CKW without Haley - that's when Kurt practically coached himself.

And Haley took over playcalling in the second half of Whis' first year, correlating with the rise of Kurt. Then throughout the super bowl year. But it is less about calling the plays and more about coaching the player - Haley was Kurt's coach, flat out and no bones about it.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/01/28/20090128sb-haleywarner0129.html

The relationship between Haley and Warner is a major reason the Cardinals have developed one of the NFL's more prolific offenses. Both watch hours of video on opponents and constantly think of ways to counter defensive schemes.

"If something pops into my head," Warner said, "the first thing I do is text Todd and say, 'What do you think about this?' Or 'On this play, I saw this and was thinking this.' And he will do the same thing back to me. We push each other to be better at what we do."

In interviews, the two talk about each other in measured tones, and the compliments flow. Warner, said Haley, works as hard as any quarterback he's coached. And Haley, Warner said, is as willing to listen to a player's ideas as anyone who's coached him.

Physical turnaround as a player? The gloves were something he did on his own. http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/inside-the-nfl-kurt-warners-gloves/hc01f12

Warner came into 2008 training camp in fantastic shape, thanks to John Lott, who wanted him to drop 10-15 lbs.

All of that reflects greatly on CKW, yes, but he was a chemist on that one..putting the right ingredients into the beaker, turning on the heat and watching it work the way he hoped it would. But it is a stretch to say that the reason Kurt turned his career around was because of CKW when it was common knowledge that Kurt & Haley were perfect for each other. CKW was the matchmaker, I guess.

As a measure of where he worked more, Ben was CKW's project and he excelled there.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As great as we were with Warner - he still sucked eggs at times...even after putting on the gloves. There, I said it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whisenhunt caught lightning in a bottle with Warner. Luck plays a huge role in being successful in the NFL. There's nothing wrong with getting lucky. Everyone needs it.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Whisenhunt caught lightning in a bottle with Warner. Luck plays a huge role in being successful in the NFL. There's nothing wrong with getting lucky. Everyone needs it.

How many W's does Whiz need to put up this season in order to remove the "luck" tag??

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
As great as we were with Warner - he still sucked eggs at times...even after putting on the gloves. There, I said it.

He seemed to be game to game with that, ala, if bad kurt showed up, he generally didn't go back to good Kurt, it was bad Kurt all day, which was handy to blow off the bad Kurt steam.

I thought bad Kurt had come to stay in the SB with that one interception but he got it going later on.

Like I've said before I was proven way wrong on Kurt, best QB in our history bar none.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
How many W's does Whiz need to put up this season in order to remove the "luck" tag??

10 - AGAIN!

Lets see if the Whiz of Az. can work some more magic with a cast off. Personally I think he can. He's got the tools to work with and the environment and conditions to succeed.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score

I think you Whiz QB defenders are making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Saying we don't buy your version of the entire Whiz/Matt saga and that we don't hold Matt solely responsible for how it shook out isn't the same thing as saying Whiz isn't a really good coach.

Matt being our QB or not is not the relevant point, it's how he handled the whole thing from start to finish.

I guess you could say that from day one I never figured it would work out and it didn't, so it's more the time wasted aspect and the futility of the whole thing that is just a head shaker more than anything.

Nothing about that episode really translates into the rest of the team other than DA ending up by some stroke of goofiness as our QB.

How that happened is a mystery to me, the rest of the saga really dosen't mean squat long term, Matt was never going to be our QBOTF once Whiz got this job, period.

I blame the FO most of all, because absent their input I don't see how this dragged on this long at all, if Whiz was given total control I can't forsee us getting this far along.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Matt was never going to be our QBOTF once Whiz got this job, period.

I love how you can assert this with any certainty. Do you really think if Matt was the best qb for the job he would have been released? This bs about it being "personal" is so counter to everything Whiz has ever stood for. In fact, the biggest change from Green to Whiz is the constant mantra of open competition, and that the best player will play.

Keep coming up with conspiracy theories because Matt couldn't cut it.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Whis is a great coach but his history with QB's isn't one of his strengths.

Roethlisberger can't stand him and has done very well without him.

Leinart...well, you know.

Warner's the only guy who did well with Whis and he has a historic capacity for perseverance.

Whis is untouchable but I don't think he's right in this situation. And I don't think Leinart ever got the right treatment from Whis. Tearing a player down and ruining his confidence is essentially all he did to Leinart. I'm not saying that was his intention, but that is what he accomplished.

He obviously read Leinart wrong and what he got after "fixing" him was a QB who isn't even as good as he was as a rookie in '06.

Well said.Whiz crapped in his hat on this deal.If he knew all along that ML wasn`t his Choice why not trade and get something for him?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
1.) Whiz was being a good soldiar and touting the company line.

2.) You don't lose th respect of your teammates and coaches by doing everything you're supposed to do.

3.) Check back here 3-4 years from now. And when Matty continues to flame out, I'd love to hear your spin then... perhaps the rest of the coaches in the league had it in for poor 'lil Matty too, huh??

And what will be your spin if he has some success down the road?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
You and Shane are getting close the THESMEL territory. At least you are riding a much better horse.

:mulli:

Look - I simply refuse to accept the backlash from many of you who are so quick to belittle the impact Whiz has had on what has transpired here since he took over. Where were all of these "Whiz isn't a good QB coach", "Whiz has been lucky" comments prior to Matty's departure? Just ridiculous... And again - IMHO, it really makes me question the validity of the fanbase. I have never seen fans turn on the one guy, their coach, who has pulled them out of the cesspool within which this franchise has dwelled since coming to the valley, anywhere else in my life. I mean, I could understand if the guy was some sort of Buddy Ryan type... maybe even a Parcells...

Hey, if this team does in fact take a major step backward, say... puts up 5-6 wins this year and another 5-6 in 2011, I might be right here with you. However, I don't see that happening and IMHO, Whiz himself has already done enough to prove that this team will not fall back to the basement again...

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
:mulli:

Look - I simply refuse to accept the backlash from many of you who are so quick to belittle the impact Whiz has had on what has transpired here since he took over. Where were all of these "Whiz isn't a good QB coach", "Whiz has been lucky" comments prior to Matty's departure? Just ridiculous... And again - IMHO, it really makes me question the validity of the fanbase. I have never seen fans turn on the one guy, their coach, who has pulled them out of the cesspool within which this franchise has dwelled since coming to the valley, anywhere else in my life. I mean, I could understand if the guy was some sort of Buddy Ryan type... maybe even a Parcells...

Hey, if this team does in fact take a major step backward, say... puts up 5-6 wins this year and another 5-6 in 2011, I might be right here with you. However, I don't see that happening and IMHO, Whiz himself has already done enough to prove that this team will not fall back to the basement again...

All he has to do is defend the NFC WEST championship successfully, and I'm full on side. Brickbats or kudos depend on this.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
More than the 6 he will be "lucky" to get with Anderson and Max Hall playing QB.:bang:

Perfect!

hastheball.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05