ok after the bye josh or kurt?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Rats said:
I was refering to Kurts pedigree not necessarily his play in his brief time on the Cardinals. I think with time and now that this team is coming around to the DG system of throwing downfield and utilizing there strengths( Wr.) that the players in the system will be by far the ones to get us winning quickly rather than losing with new guys. That is what it is all about. Winning. Not who is the starter or the backup. There are many reasons teams lose and in most cases it is because of an inability to execute the plays called. Yesterday was a team loss. You can't continue turning over the roster and find success. We have to have continuity on the team for it to get on a roll. These two Qb give us the best chance this year and next.

Throwing down field is great but you better be able to run the ball. The Colts are winning with their running game and I do not think Manning has thrown over 250 yds this year.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Rats said:
Kurt would not hold up over a 16 game season. I think everyone agrees on that. However if Josh is sucking and not playing well I would not hesitate for Green to give the ball to Kurt rather than to a Navarre or Davey or like last year a King( worst move ever). These two guys I think can give us a tandem that can get it done on Sunday and this is evidence by the fact they are putting up good numbers without a decent running game. If they get that extra weapon next year they will be hard to stop.

Warner is what (age 36?). Testiverde won Sunday at age 41 and was not bloody at the end of the game.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
moklerman said:
Is this the rationale for Cardinals fans? McCown getting 9 yards on 4th and 10 is somehow a good thing? Carolina hands the Cardinals a gift from heaven and McCown leads them on a 4 and out and that proves he's a better qb than Warner? Remember when Warner drove the team 70+ yards to the goal line and the left tackle lost the game? But that was Warner's fault. McCown blows a two minute drill against a prevent defense and he's a hero? What am I missing.

I'm biased toward Warner. I admit it. But, I really think Cardinals fans have been mired in mediocrity for so long that their perception is warped. I'm not saying that to be cruel but I really think Card's fans have such low expectations and such little basis for comparison that they get excited about things that aren't deserving.

You sure got that right on Josh's 9 yd run. You do praise him for coming up one yd short on a 4th down play with the game on the line. You got to be a heavy duty Josh fan to buy into that. I would say the same thing about any QB. You get paid to make the play when it counts. One yd short is no better than 10 yds short on 4th down.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
I think Josh keeps playing, he may be the future. At best, Kurt is a stop-gap measure that failed. If the Cards burn off some wins and Josh goes down, then Kurt starts. If the Cards burn off a load of losses with Josh or Kurt at the helm then let Denny start up the carosel with Navarre and Davey so we have a better idea of what to do next season (sheesh, it's only October and I'm already talking about next season).

And while I am thinking about it, I hope the Cards call that quick sideline toss play a little less often.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Mokler for the record Carolina does NOT have one of the worst defenses in the league!
You'd think that, as would I, based on their success the past few years but they are:

24th overall in total yardage
27th against the pass
30th in sacks
23rd in points per game

They have some good individuals on defense but that isn't translating into onfield success. I'm pretty sure that Julius Peppers still doesn't even have a sack this year. They got lit up by a Packers team with no running game and then got lit up by the Cardinals and their o-line troubles.
No point in moving forward with someone that is not going to be around very long
I don't think I agree with that statement as it's written. I know that Elway and the Broncos wouldn't. Or the Jets and Testaverde or the Cowboys and Bledsoe or the Chiefs and Trent Green (he's older than Warner) or Green Bay and Favre or Oakland and Gannon. Should I go on?

Warner's still got some tread left on the tires and hasn't been given a fair shot with the offense yet. Don't give up so soon.

Last edited:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Mitch said:
I'll tell you what...if Carolina had a crack at signing McCown, they would. John Fox and his staff are very high on him...and after the fits Josh gave them yesterday, all the more high.

I think that RG will try to re-sign McCown to a cap friendly deal before the end of the season. He will sign Rackers before the end of the season too. I think Rohan Davey will receive a contract as well, and he will battle it out with John Navarre for the #2 spot. Drafting a QB will be likely as well, especially if the Cards have a shot at Matt Leinart or Vince Young.

This off-season will be huge for the Cards. They will need to bolster both lines by adding a beefy LG and a stalwart NT.

At RB...look for Green to add another back to the mix...Michael Bennett very well may be heading to Arizona in the near future.

I also think that the team will strongly consider shifting Antrel Rolle to FS...and start Eric Green at LCB. Macklin at RCB...with Lamont Reid and another CB draftee in 2006 backing up.

If the club elects to stick with Rolle at CB...they will be in the market for a starting free safety.

At LB...look for the Cards to make a major acquisition...Lavar Arrington, who is a huge fan of Dennis Green, may be the choice. Arrington was despondent when the Redskins bypassed Green for their head coaching job two years ago...and Green may be just the coach Arrington needs to get him back in the elite company at LB where he belongs.

Yet, the biggest and most important decisions Green will have to make: adding an experienced offensive coordinator and o-line coach. It's time to put this potentially high powered offense in the hands of some real pros.

I think whether we sign Josh this year is very much dependent on his performance for the remainder of the year. You do not sign a guy to a long term deal with big $ based on two games. We sure do need some experienced coaches. I am amazed it has gone on as long as it has.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser