One Problem With Suns

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love coach D and his up tempo play and think he is perfect for this team, however I have one large problem right now. I know many of you are probably getting tired of me saying this, but I do not get why CJ is getting so many minutes.

He is shooting 27% from three and that is supposed to be his strong area.

In the last 4 games he has averaged more minutes then ever with 24.5 a game, but is 0-11 from 3 point range.

If he can't start hitting his threes then he is no use to us. I would much rather have LB in there who can drive the lane well and has also shown an ability to hit the 3. I know he is 3 inches smaller but his wingspan is huge for his size. He also is much quicker and gets in the passing lanes and plays some defense.

I do not hate Casey or anything I love how he hustles all the time and stuff I just dont see what good he does us.

20 minutes a game is WAY to much for CJ.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I was hoping to see a lineup with Nash and Barbosa in the back court. That would be a very fast, very good shooting backcourt.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! If you are going to take minutes away from CJ I wouldn't think you'd give them to Barbosa. I would think we would want to see more Hunter, Jake Voskuhl , and Lampe. I mean I don't think you can get away with a backcourt of Steve Nash and Leandro Barbosa when you're playing a frontcourt of Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion, and Q/JJ. There's how to be a limit to just how small a team can play. When you compare Barbosa and CJ it's important to compare their size instead of just their height and length. CJ must have at least 30 pounds on him.

Joe Mama

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
last night

CJ was driving the hoop - he seems to realize his outside shot is crap right now.
At least by driving he got to the line a couple times and put a couple fouls on the Bulls.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I was glad to see Lampe on the court last night. I hope he earned some more minutes. I am with JM if they sit Casey a little more they should go with more size.

Casey was bad last night but he has had some good shooting games.

I think they showed 45% from the floor, 33% from 3, and 94% from the line.

I know he missed quite a few threes last night.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Casey Jacobsen is the worst "pure shooter" I've ever seen in my life.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Casey has been playing a lot because of Barbosa's injury.

Now that Leandro appears to be back, I would expect him to get less PT. Also, they could be showcasing him a bit like they did with Knight last season.

Only reason Casey still played a lot last night is because Nash got the 4th quarter off.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Only reason Casey still played a lot last night is because Nash got the 4th quarter off.

And Richardson was hurt.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I spoke with someone close to CJ, and they said the Suns are looking to trade him. This would explain why he is getting more playing time. More playing typically equals higher market value. However I think it backfired last night: 3-13 FG & 0-6 3pt.

Last edited:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Casey Jacobsen is the worst "pure shooter" I've ever seen in my life.

I am wondering who would make the claim that Casey is a "pure shooter"?

He was a scorer at Stanford and since he has been in the NBA has had to change his shot. He sure shoots a lot if that is what you mean. :)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Casey was the #9 three point shooter in the league last season, but had an overall shooting average of 41%. This season his minutes have been uneven, so he has not found his range but there are a lot of quality shooter than go through slumps when their minutes are uneven. For example, Brent Barry is shooting only 42.3% from the field and 37.3% for three coming off the bench after 50.4% and 45.2% as a starter last season.

At this point Casey is like Q - they have reputations for being able to hit three point shots and thus drag defenders away from the paint. None the less, I'd rather give the minutes to Lampe because I think all he needs to experience to become a real factor.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
If the Suns Traded Casey Jacobsen - then who is the G/F off the bench? 1. I doubt Suns could get a better Center option to start than Hunter, Lampe, and Voskuhl for Jacobsen... 2. It's not like adding another Center gives team more depth to start a big (there's 5 bigs on bench)...

I guess there could be a packaged deal but I would like to see Steven Hunter, Maciej Lampe and Jackson Vroman remain on team - not sure what Voskuhl, Jacobsen, other pieces could bring? hmmm

King A

Registered
Reaction score
maybe some kind of three teams trade is ongoing...

reports say chandler is being discussed in denver, so for example
(didn't check it)

bulls send:
tyson chandler

Nuggets send:
nene

Suns send:
Casey
Zarko

suns get:
nene

nuggets get:
chandler
casey

bulls get:
zarko

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
King A said:

(didn't check it)

bulls send:
tyson chandler

Nuggets send:
nene

Suns send:
Casey
Zarko

suns get:
nene

nuggets get:
chandler
casey

bulls get:
zarko

It's a good premise, but IMO Chicago Bulls get pretty screwed. I know. It's a lot easier to criticize other people's trade ideas and come up with your own. It's kind of like doing the NBA power rankings. :)

If I was the Chicago Bulls I'm not sure I would trade Chandler. I think Chandler is a bigger, taller version of Marcus Camby just waiting to happen. I would only trade him if I was convinced that he was never going to stay healthy (like Marcus Camby). Now Eddy Curry is another story.

Joe Mama

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
It's a good premise, but IMO Chicago Bulls get pretty screwed. I know. It's a lot easier to criticize other people's trade ideas and come up with your own. It's kind of like doing the NBA power rankings. :)

If I was the Chicago Bulls I'm not sure I would trade Chandler. I think Chandler is a bigger, taller version of Marcus Camby just waiting to happen. I would only trade him if I was convinced that he was never going to stay healthy (like Marcus Camby). Now Eddy Curry is another story.

Joe Mama

Joe, I would have totally agreed with you a couple of years ago. I really thought he would be the next break-out star. But I'm getting more and more convinced that he's not a taller Marcus Camby, but a shorter, more athletic Shawn Bradley. What I've really noticed is that he has absolutely NO strength in his lower body, like Bradley, and is completely ineffective if anyone puts a body on him. He also has no offensive game to speak of after 4 years. As long as he can stay away from contact, he'll out-jump people to get a good share of rebounds, but that seems to be it at this point of his career.

Maybe he's still not totally healthy, because he looked like a beast in the making a couple of years ago, and now he looks like a 90 pound weakling.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I still had the Chicago Bulls game recorded, but I deleted it. I didn't pay particular attention to Chandler. It's hard to when you are enjoying watching the Phoenix Suns so much. :) I'll definitely admit that most of my assessment of Chandler is based on how he was playing a year or two ago. It may be that he is just concentrating on staying healthy.

Joe Mama

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
King A said:

(didn't check it)

bulls send:
tyson chandler

Nuggets send:
nene

Suns send:
Casey
Zarko

suns get:
nene

nuggets get:
chandler
casey

bulls get:
zarko
Why would the Bulls do this unless they get their pick back?

King A

Registered
Reaction score
i said for example, don't know either how to tweak that trade
but since nugz and bullz are discussing and nuggets did want casey.

i don't think the bulls pick is worth chandler or nene, so keeping it would be the best
(talk about an athletic small forward once stat and jj are on the books big time)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I wish I still had the Chicago Bulls game recorded, but I deleted it. I didn't pay particular attention to Chandler.

I watched the Chicago game pretty carefully and thought that Chandler looked better than Curry. But what's weird is that, sometime late in the game when Curry was piling up a few garbage stats, both Bender and Majerle said that Curry "clearly" looked like the more promising player.

So I don't know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05