Orlando supposedly very interested in Nash

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does that mean that you'll lose interest to the point that you quit writing posts about getting rid of Gortat?

Don't count on it. He would stop watching but still post about that. ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would show without a doubt that Nash is more focused on being comfortable, and running his system than winning a championship. (If that hasn't been confirmed already)

yup. I'd lose a lot of respect for Nash if he decides to stay here. people will bash me for it, but any player who chooses to stay on a sinking ship, solely because they can captain it just rubs me the wrong way... especially when they stay on that ship knowing the owner of the ship is a complete and utter ******.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yup. I'd lose a lot of respect for Nash if he decides to stay here. people will bash me for it, but any player who chooses to stay on a sinking ship, solely because they can captain it just rubs me the wrong way... especially when they stay on that ship knowing the owner of the ship is a complete and utter ******.

I think its more because he feels bad for his teammates and the fan base. But him sticking around only hurts the fan base more in the long term.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok. Reports are out today that Dwight Howard went to the Magic owner and requested that they trade for Nash.

Now let me play devils advocate for a moment. Knowing what it would take for the Magic to aquire Nash, and knowing that Howard wants to play with Nash, and assuming that he is willing to re-up with the Magic if they do get Nash, doesn't it make more sense for Howard to just sign with the Suns in the off-season. If the Suns keep Nash, and the other assets the Suns have, they would be a better team with Howard, than the Magic would be by adding Nash to the mix (and trading away the young talent and picks it would take to get him).

Food for thought. Maybe Nash could still be somewhat of a FA draw.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
Just reported on ABC 15 it is rumored that Nash could go to Dallas in exchange for Lamar Odom. Dont see the point in that except helping our draft status

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know whether these reports can be trusted or not, but it certainly has gotten more interesting:
Sources close to the situation say that Howard will not exercise his early termination option if the Magic are able to acquire Nash.
On one hand, this puts a lot of pressure on Magic to try to get Nash, meaning they will have to offer more. The problem is, they really don't have much to offer. I think if the Suns were to play their cards right, they might be able to get several future first round draft picks in return. However, if Howard stays and they get Nash, those picks will be very low. Magic would have to find another team with some assets to send to Phoenix for this to make sense from the Suns' perspective.
Now let me play devils advocate for a moment. Knowing what it would take for the Magic to aquire Nash, and knowing that Howard wants to play with Nash, and assuming that he is willing to re-up with the Magic if they do get Nash, doesn't it make more sense for Howard to just sign with the Suns in the off-season. If the Suns keep Nash, and the other assets the Suns have, they would be a better team with Howard, than the Magic would be by adding Nash to the mix (and trading away the young talent and picks it would take to get him).

Food for thought. Maybe Nash could still be somewhat of a FA draw.
That's an interesting idea. In theory if Howard really wanted to play with Nash, he could do so in Phoenix. The Suns, with Howard, Nash, Gortat (at PF?) and a FA SG would be better than what the Magic has to offer right now. In fact, I think that would be a stronger team overall, with a head coach that players actually like. Plus Phoenix is a bigger market and just as warm.

However, I don't think it's really about wanting to play with Nash specifically as much as it is about Howard willing to stay in Orlando as long as the team surrounds him with better players. He has said as much in the past. Of course if the Suns could somehow bring Howard to Phoenix next summer, everyone would quickly forget how they were demanding that Nash be traded. It's far-fetched, but so is the idea that trading Nash at the trade deadline would result in a top-3 pick.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting idea. In theory if Howard really wanted to play with Nash, he could do so in Phoenix. The Suns, with Howard, Nash, Gortat (at PF?) and a FA SG would be better than what the Magic has to offer right now. In fact, I think that would be a stronger team overall, with a head coach that players actually like. Plus Phoenix is a bigger market and just as warm.

I'm not sure he wants to risk 30 Million dollars just so he can go and play with Nash. If he's going to walk I'd expect him to land in a market that Adidas covets, not just another Orlando replacement. Add in our owner's rep and our lack of young talent and I just can't see it happening.

Steve

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just reported on ABC 15 it is rumored that Nash could go to Dallas in exchange for Lamar Odom. Dont see the point in that except helping our draft status

Dear lord no. First off giving Nash up to a Western Conference opponent kind of makes me sick. Lamar Odom?? Why?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are there links to this stuff?

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
Foohy said it on ABC 15. Lets at least get young players and draft picks

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With regards to ORL and the Nash rumors. Keep an eye on the Rondo situation. Supposedly BOS is REALLY trying to trade him and they may trade him to ORL, or to get more complicated involving LAL in the trade. I would almost be willing to trade him to LA for their 2 first rounders.

My draft:
SF/PF Perry Jones - Fourth best big man behind Davis, Drummond & Sullinger. Nice compliment to Gortat by being able to play inside and out. I just hope he develops a low post game and doesn't have any motor issues, seems to be a coaster.

PG Marquis Teague - Atlanta PG Jeff Teague's little brother. Viewed as a better PG prospect than Jeff and has remarkable quickness. Could develop behind a FA stop gap PG we look for in the offseason.

SG William Buford - Nice sized SG with all around game. Can shoot from the outside and attack the basket.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This was a blurb by some stupid Dallas blogger with no inside info, then Dave Burns stupidly, sarcastically tweeted it (he mentioned this on 620 today) and it picked up steam.

There is no meat to that rumor and it makes absolutely zero sense. We do not have to fear any Kardashians arriving.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back on a topic from earlier in this thread...

I hope anyone who watched tonights game kept an eye on the worthless Michael Beasley. He is pure trash. I would be disgusted if he ever put on a Suns uniform, no matter how he ended up here.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Thats about Dallas wanting to pursue Howard this summer. Hmm. Our negotiating position has just increased substantially.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Suns, with Howard, Nash, Gortat (at PF?)

The whole reason that Gortat was available in the Richardson/Turkoglu trade was that the Magic had tried playing him alongside Howard and it was a failure. There is very little value in having Howard and Gortat on the same team, as Orlando spent years proving.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The whole reason that Gortat was available in the Richardson/Turkoglu trade was that the Magic had tried playing him alongside Howard and it was a failure. There is very little value in having Howard and Gortat on the same team, as Orlando spent years proving.
I haven't followed Gortat's tenure with the Magic much, but I remember reading somewhere that Orlando did not try to play them together enough, that if they had then perhaps they would have not been so quick trading him away. Looking at Gortat's box scores from Orlando, he only started five games and all in place of Howard. If they did play them together, it certainly wasn't as starters.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I haven't followed Gortat's tenure with the Magic much, but I remember reading somewhere that Orlando did not try to play them together enough, that if they had then perhaps they would have not been so quick trading him away. Looking at Gortat's box scores from Orlando, he only started five games and all in place of Howard. If they did play them together, it certainly wasn't as starters.

I didn't see it with my own eyes, but I remember reading (probably on hoopshype) that the plan, in the season that Gortat ended up being traded to Phoenix, was to play them together. How much it happened in actual games, I can't say, but obviously the Magic coaching staff didn't consider it as promising as they had hoped.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.82games.com/0910/09ORL11.HTM#5man

Gortat's 5 man units from the 2009-2010 season.

Unless I am missing something, he and Howard did not play one single minute together all year long.

Way to go Orlando...

Otis Smith is most certainly an idiot, but I really have to question Van Gundy for not trying that setup.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
http://www.82games.com/0910/09ORL11.HTM#5man

Gortat's 5 man units from the 2009-2010 season.

Unless I am missing something, he and Howard did not play one single minute together all year long.

Way to go Orlando...

Otis Smith is most certainly an idiot, but I really have to question Van Gundy for not trying that setup.

I think Van Gundy is one of the better coaches in the league. I expect he would have played them together if he thought it would make them better.

Unless somehow we trade for Dwight I highly doubt Dwight will come to Phoenix for a pay cut, in free agency, and not be in a market beneficial to his shoe contract.

It would be nice to see him in Phoenix but it is just wishful thinking, unfortunately.

I think he ends up in Orlando. 30 Million will be hard to turn down.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Van Gundy is one of the better coaches in the league. I expect he would have played them together if he thought it would make them better.

Unless somehow we trade for Dwight I highly doubt Dwight will come to Phoenix for a pay cut, in free agency, and not be in a market beneficial to his shoe contract.

It would be nice to see him in Phoenix but it is just wishful thinking, unfortunately.

I think he ends up in Orlando. 30 Million will be hard to turn down.

Oh just stop already about the Phx market being detrimental to his shoe contract. Being on a better team will make up that 30 million just in extra endorsements.

Phoenix is a second tier market but Durant signed a huge shoe deal in a much smaller market.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't see it with my own eyes, but I remember reading (probably on hoopshype) that the plan, in the season that Gortat ended up being traded to Phoenix, was to play them together. How much it happened in actual games, I can't say, but obviously the Magic coaching staff didn't consider it as promising as they had hoped.

Gortat has plenty of trade value if it doesnt work.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
that would be a hell of a deal for the magic. imagine nash with howard........good lord. people in dallas are hoping that they can get that duo to dallas next year if they can't sign williams. and this might make it a remote possibility if howard decides he wants to leave orlando after next year. but if they trade for nash it will keep howard and give him a chance at a ring this season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
that would be a hell of a deal for the magic. imagine nash with howard........good lord. people in dallas are hoping that they can get that duo to dallas next year if they can't sign williams. and this might make it a remote possibility if howard decides he wants to leave orlando after next year. but if they trade for nash it will keep howard and give him a chance at a ring this season.

I think it would be a great duo, but it wouldn't get them an opportunity this season. It takes players a little while to get the hang of playing with Nash. Usually they get hit in the face and hands alot with passes they weren't expecting.

I just think it is fascinating that Howard is willing to re-up if Orlando gets Nash. The mantra on this board and others has always been "what kind of draw is a 38 year old pg going to be for free agents?" I guess much better than we thought.

Since Orlando does not have much to offer for Nash, I am inclined not to trade him.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake