OT: Brian Flores Suing NFL Alleging Racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No I'm not missing the point. It's a false equivalent. When an owner of property dies you don't do interviews to see who is qualified to get it. It's an inheritance. Nobody's business but the family's
There's another example. Many black families, especially impoverished ones, never HAD families with wealth to pass down. There are families that have lived in the same neighborhood for 5, 6 generations that have never had anyone in their family own a home, let alone inherit one. Inheritance itself is a systemic problem in this country. I'm not advocating to take from one family to give to another, nor am I advocating for reparations. The difference in skin color, as it relates to inheritance and wealth in this country, is obscene.

Stout

Reaction score
This can all be explained by wealth, or lack of.

Since the end of the Civil Rights era, black Americans are actually LESS likely to own a home and the gap in wealth between white Americans and black Americans has grown significantly.

Poor people commit more crime. It's just a fact of life and has been true about early Irish, early Italians, and other immigrants groups before they assimilated and no longer had a reason to commit crime. Obviously the difference between Irish and blacks is that Irish could hide the fact that they were Irish, which many did early on.
Well said.

Stout

Reaction score
Right let see. How many Head coaches are Asian, Hispanic or Indian. If blacks are 13% of the population, isn’t it racist that they make up 70% of the NFL and not 13%. Shouldn’t their be equal rights for all races and not favoritism for just the black players! Yes I’m being sarcastic but sometimes the people that have the jobs have put in the time and earned them. You can’t just give a job to someone because of their skin color. To me that is just as racist.
So black head coaching candidates haven't put in the time or earned them? Cool story.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's another example. Many black families, especially impoverished ones, never HAD families with wealth to pass down. There are families that have lived in the same neighborhood for 5, 6 generations that have never had anyone in their family own a home, let alone inherit one. Inheritance itself is a systemic problem in this country. I'm not advocating to take from one family to give to another, nor am I advocating for reparations. The difference in skin color, as it relates to inheritance and wealth in this country, is obscene.
Now inheritance is a problem as well? Good grief the level of craziness around these days never ceases to amaze me. Lol

Reactions: PJ1

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Equal opportunity doesn't guarantee equal results. There is much more opportunity today than in the 60s when I grew up. Much more.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's irrelevant. The point being made is that many of these guys didn't achieve the wealth on their own.

Someone like Shad Khan who is different than Michael Bidwill. Khan started out washing dishes when he immigrated here. Far different than Michael Bidwill, the son of probably the worst owner in pro sports after Donald Sterling.

While Charles Bidwill was building wealth in Chicago in the 1920's (with the headstart of wealthy, political parents and mob ties), black wealth in America was being firebombed by air on Black Wall Street.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now inheritance is a problem as well? Good grief the level of craziness around these days never ceases to amaze me. Lol
That is not what he is saying. LACK of inheritance is a hinderance for many. Many of the "successful" people you see started on second or third base.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
While Charles Bidwill was building wealth in Chicago in the 1920's (with the headstart of wealthy, political parents and mob ties), black wealth in America was being firebombed by air on Black Wall Street.
I didn't firebomb anyone and I don't know anyone that did. Nobody is going to tell me that I'm somehow responsible for somebody else's actions 100 years ago. I'm not responsible for slavery or the holocaust or the civil war. Sorry. No one is going to convince me that I have to pay to clean it up either.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I didn't firebomb anyone and I don't know anyone that did. Nobody is going to tell me that I'm somehow responsible for somebody else's actions 100 years ago. I'm not responsible for slavery or the holocaust or the civil war. Sorry. No one is going to convince me that I have to pay to clean it up either.
We don't need to feel responsible, nor feel obligated to pay to clean it up...but we should be doing everything in our power, to lead the charge making sure it doesn't keep happening. JMO

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And curry could ball out on the basketball court. I always think of him and iverson as peas in a pod.
Yeah Iverson was something else. The bowling alley incident almost ended his rise to stardom. That was huge in the area at that time.

When Curry was in high school (Hampton Crabbers) he was a starting quarterback, safety, punter, and kick returner. In one season he scored almost 80 touchdowns and his team scored almost 800 points while holding the opponents to under 100 points. He led the team to three state titles.

He was even better probably in basketball where he led them to a State title as well. And in the McDonald's All American tournament he won the slam dunk contest against a bunch of future NBA elite dunkers.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are totally missing the point. Who asked you to pay for it? WHO asked you to take responsibility? But to not acknowledge that blacks don't have the same starting point as whites in general is putting your head in the sand.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The average white family has 8 times more wealth than a similar black family.

The difference in the 1960s was only 6 times more wealth.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You are totally missing the point. Who asked you to pay for it? WHO asked you to take responsibility? But to not acknowledge that blacks don't have the same starting point as whites in general is putting your head in the sand.
No I'm not missing the point. Everything you hear about this inevitably returns back to money so dam right I'm getting asked to pay for it. If you think it's not about the money you are wrong. And no I don't believe in white guilt either. At some point every individual is responsible for their own outcome. You can't always get what you want and that applies to everybody no matter what race you are. I never hear about personal accountability and responsibility anymore because it always just easier to blame somebody else. Whining and crying pizzing and moaning all the time. It's not fair, somebody screwed me. It's everywhere, white and black. People are turning into a bunch of candy azzes

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And from what I understand, Bidwill had some underworld links as well...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much do you know about Black History in this country? Blacks were legally discriminated against and were permitted from ownership.

Furthermore, when blacks finally were able to able to own homes, we saw things like the Tulsa race massacre where whites went in (with the help of the all white city government) and burned down their homes and business, along with taking their land. And that's only the worst one. Entire towns have been taken in at least 50 occasions.

So, is inheritance a direct cause of what Brian Flores is fighting, no? However, it is absolutely linked to the systemic and institutional racism that African Americans have seen throughout this country's history, leading to a DIRECT lack of accumulation of wealth.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How much do you know about Black History in this country? Blacks were legally discriminated against and were permitted from ownership.

Furthermore, when blacks finally were able to able to own homes, we saw things like the Tulsa race massacre where whites went in (with the help of the all white city government) and burned down their homes and business, along with taking their land. And that's only the worst one. Entire towns have been taken in at least 50 occasions.

So, is inheritance a direct cause of what Brian Flores is fighting, no? However, it is absolutely linked to the systemic and institutional racism that African Americans have seen throughout this country's history, leading to a DIRECT lack of accumulation of wealth.
Not to mention that wealth inequality in this country is worse today than it was in Paris before the French Revolution. The amount of concentrated wealth at the top of the distribution is obscene — and it's only how invisible it is for the top 8-10% (outside of the top 2%) that really prevents change from happening.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I'm not missing the point. Everything you hear about this inevitably returns back to money so dam right I'm getting asked to pay for it. If you think it's not about the money you are wrong. And no I don't believe in white guilt either. At some point every individual is responsible for their own outcome. You can't always get what you want and that applies to everybody no matter what race you are. I never hear about personal accountability and responsibility anymore because it always just easier to blame somebody else. Whining and crying pizzing and moaning all the time. It's not fair, somebody screwed me. It's everywhere, white and black. People are turning into a bunch of candy azzes
Yes, you are missing the point. But no point in further discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05