OT: Brian Flores Suing NFL Alleging Racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So Flores doesn't want a HC job then huh? Weird choice.

I've read through his "complaints" and looks like a bunch a crap that teams are already easily refuting.

Ross trying to lose games to tank has nothing to do with racism.

Ross trying to tamper with a QB isn't racism.

Daboll being hired over him isn't racism. They wanted an offensive coach and the guy that made Allen better was perfect for Jones.

Denver have already strongly denied his claims and say they have paperwork to prove it.

Very weird self inflicted wound from Flores who was considered a top coach and now likely won't work again any time soon.

Last edited:

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So Flores doesn't want a HC job then huh? Weird choice.

I've read through his "complaints" and looks like a bunch a crap that teams are already easily refuting.

Ross trying to lose games to tank has nothing to do with racism.

Ross trying to tamper with a QB isn't racism.

Daboll being hired over him isn't racism. They wanted an offensive coach and the guy that made Allen better was perfect for Jones.

Denver have already strongly denied his claims and say they have paperwork to prove it.

Very weird self inflicted wound from Flores who was considered a top coach and now likely won;t work again any time soon.
Normal reasonable people are tiring of the race card. Accountability and responsibility has to come to play at some point

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
No NFL team is going to hire him. Would you hire someone who is suing you?
I think it'd be funny if Houston came out and said that Flores was their leading candidate and was the likely guy but now is out because it's pretty hard to hire a guy who is suing you.

Also, Kaepernick is not in the league because he stunk as a QB and didn't want to take a backup job.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it'd be funny if Houston came out and said that Flores was their leading candidate and was the likely guy but now is out because it's pretty hard to hire a guy who is suing you.

Also, Kaepernick is not in the league because he stunk as a QB and didn't want to take a backup job.

Unfortunately no, nobody cant trust him, a loose cannon

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Yes, some people actually believe that it was this straightforward.

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Well if the Supreme Court ends up ruling against the Affirmative Action rule for college admissions I would think it would almost automatically make the Rooney rule go away.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I understand accusing the Dolphins owner, but accusing multiple individuals, especially even make the belicheck name cause congratulating with Daboll for his new job
Can be a slightly case of paranoia with persecution mania?

I believe the issue is that BB thought he was congratulating daboll on the hire, but he was texting Flores instead. The problem is that those texts were BEFORE Flores' interview. Meaning that the NYG's interview of him was a sham.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Normal reasonable people are tiring of the race card. Accountability and responsibility has to come to play at some point
Tats certainly one perspective. The opposite could also be said of "normal and reasonable people." There's another perspective that says its about damn time that all of these reckonings are taking place. Perhaps accountability and responsibility are exactly whats coming into play. We will see.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, the 2018 team under Steve Wilks was one of the worst. Interesting that Keim who built it wasn’t fired. He also had a DUI that summer and brought in QB Sam Bradford for $40 Million to be the starting qb. Poor Josh Rosen never had a chance with a horrible offensive line.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would disagree with that statement

No normal or reasonable person would believe that racism is still not a major issue in this country and that many minorities are denied opportunities that whites take for granted

Yes accountability and responsibility need to happen especially from the good old boys club

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Wonder if Steve Wilks got paid for losing games. Some of you must think KK did too. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hue Jackson came out and said the Browns paid the coaches to lose intentionally to get a higher pick and then cited losing as the reason for firing them.

This is tough I think Brian Flores is a very good football coach, I think he did a very good job in Miami it wasn't his fault they picked Tua, it wasn't his fault they didn't take Mac Jones this year. But I'm not sure he can prove anything he's saying and that is the thing. the system is set up the way it is for a reason, everyone knows it's much harder for a black coach to get a job, but it's difficult to prove it's BECAUSE they're black.

The Wilks stuff is kind of hard to defend, I've been a Cards fan since 1974 the only 2 versions I can remember that were that bad were that team and the Bud Wilkinson team. Obviously Bradford and Rosen were terrible but the OL sucked, the WR's sucked, that was the worst offense I've ever seen in NFL games. THe last 7 games that year Rosen topped 150 yards passing once, we lost 6 of those games so were behind and throwing. He was the HC so he can't say well I coached the defense, he gets the blame too. The defense was terrible and remember he inherited a team that had a good defense, he turned 8-8 into 3-13, good defense into bad defense, his OC turned an average offense into the worst in the NFL, among the worst in history. We won 3 games, SF twice and GB. SF won 4 games that year they lost Jimmy G to an ACL they were terrible, GB won 6 games. GB fired their coach.

Wilks deserved to be fired, what made it look bad was hiring Kliff with no NFL coaching experience and a losing college record. Firing Wilks was quite easy to defend, hiring Kliff was the issue. You can certainly argue that young black coaches like Kliff don't get hired in the NFL, but the Cards didn't fire Wilks because he was black

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Lots to digest. When you file a tough win suit, you throw out everything you can find. Wilkes is an example of the tactic. Don’t think it’s a big factor either way. The Cards have made a sincere effort to make opportunities available and to develop minority candidates at all levels including the front office. They have been one of the best examples of effort. I must add picking Kingsbury does reduce the chances that any coordinator mentoring could happen.
The idea 70% of the league is black and only 1 head coach is de facto substantiation that the suit’s premise is valid. It’s a prima facie case. The NFL as well as a few other leagues, have quite a bit to answer for doing.
To me it appears the Dolphins hired Flores hoping he’d contribute to the team’s decline and thus to get better picks. Once it was clear they’d reached the point of being competitive, they dumped him.
The guy in Texas didn’t get much of a shot either. The NFL should have pushed harder for minority coordinators. There are some, but there should be many more.
Part of the problem starts in colleges. In too many key conferences, black coaches are seldom given a shot to coach the top teams. The key coaching trees being plucked by the NFL rarely include black coaches. It’s a self perpetuating system.
This will be a hard suit to win, but it’s an issue that must be resolved so those who’ve loved the game and have the skills get a fair opportunity to make a career out of it once their typically short playing career is over.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hue Jackson came out and said the Browns paid the coaches to lose intentionally to get a higher pick and then cited losing as the reason for firing them.

This is tough I think Brian Flores is a very good football coach, I think he did a very good job in Miami it wasn't his fault they picked Tua, it wasn't his fault they didn't take Mac Jones this year. But I'm not sure he can prove anything he's saying and that is the thing. the system is set up the way it is for a reason, everyone knows it's much harder for a black coach to get a job, but it's difficult to prove it's BECAUSE they're black.

The Wilks stuff is kind of hard to defend, I've been a Cards fan since 1974 the only 2 versions I can remember that were that bad were that team and the Bud Wilkinson team. Obviously Bradford and Rosen were terrible but the OL sucked, the WR's sucked, that was the worst offense I've ever seen in NFL games. THe last 7 games that year Rosen topped 150 yards passing once, we lost 6 of those games so were behind and throwing. He was the HC so he can't say well I coached the defense, he gets the blame too. The defense was terrible and remember he inherited a team that had a good defense, he turned 8-8 into 3-13, good defense into bad defense, his OC turned an average offense into the worst in the NFL, among the worst in history. We won 3 games, SF twice and GB. SF won 4 games that year they lost Jimmy G to an ACL they were terrible, GB won 6 games. GB fired their coach.

Wilks deserved to be fired, what made it look bad was hiring Kliff with no NFL coaching experience and a losing college record. Firing Wilks was quite easy to defend, hiring Kliff was the issue. You can certainly argue that young black coaches like Kliff don't get hired in the NFL, but the Cards didn't fire Wilks because he was black
Flores is not, from what I understand, disputing Kliff being hired. He’s questioning why Keim wasn’t. If I am mistaken I am sure someone will point that out. LOL

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flores is not, from what I understand, disputing Kliff being hired. He’s questioning why Keim wasn’t. If I am mistaken I am sure someone will point that out. LOL

Agreed what i'm saying is the controversial part of Wilks IMO was not firing him, it was hiring Kliff to replace him.

and as others have said the buck should have stopped with Keim there, he hired him, he fired him, he drafted Rosen signed Bradford etc. That whole situation was the fault of Steve Keim.

Reactions: TRW

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agreed what i'm saying is the controversial part of Wilks IMO was not firing him, it was hiring Kliff to replace him.

and as others have said the buck should have stopped with Keim there, he hired him, he fired him, he drafted Rosen signed Bradford etc. That whole situation was the fault of Steve Keim.
Understand Russ. And, I agree that the Kliff hire was troublesome no matter if his predecessor was black, white or whatever.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe the issue is that BB thought he was congratulating daboll on the hire, but he was texting Flores instead. The problem is that those texts were BEFORE Flores' interview. Meaning that the NYG's interview of him was a sham.

It doesn't mean that at all. His text's say "he thinks". I'm sure there was a lot of chatter around that they really like Daboll and that's what BB texts were based on, it was well known everywhere, that doesn't mean it was a sham or that they were already going with Daboll.

I've interviewed guys before where I was pretty sure I was going to go with the 1st or 2nd guy I interviewed but I still did the rest to be sure nobody else blew me away.

We were all surprised when Miami binned Flores. I think we are all seeing now that he has some attitude problems.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lots to digest. When you file a tough win suit, you throw out everything you can find. Wilkes is an example of the tactic. Don’t think it’s a big factor either way. The Cards have made a sincere effort to make opportunities available and to develop minority candidates at all levels including the front office. They have been one of the best examples of effort. I must add picking Kingsbury does reduce the chances that any coordinator mentoring could happen.
The idea 70% of the league is black and only 1 head coach is de facto substantiation that the suit’s premise is valid. It’s a prima facie case. The NFL as well as a few other leagues, have quite a bit to answer for doing.
To me it appears the Dolphins hired Flores hoping he’d contribute to the team’s decline and thus to get better picks. Once it was clear they’d reached the point of being competitive, they dumped him.
The guy in Texas didn’t get much of a shot either. The NFL should have pushed harder for minority coordinators. There are some, but there should be many more.
Part of the problem starts in colleges. In too many key conferences, black coaches are seldom given a shot to coach the top teams. The key coaching trees being plucked by the NFL rarely include black coaches. It’s a self perpetuating system.
This will be a hard suit to win, but it’s an issue that must be resolved so those who’ve loved the game and have the skills get a fair opportunity to make a career out of it once their typically short playing career is over.

It's ironic because Flores almost certainly would have got another HC job somewhere had he not filed this frivolous suit. He's not wrong about the imbalance in black HC's, but the cases he has cited aren't going to win him anything.

Weird he picked Wilks given the Cards history of mentoring Black coaches and hiring black coordinators. A much better case would have been Culley in Texas, who I thought actually did pretty well with a lot of crap. In fact now I think of it he'd be a good guy to have as an OC/passing game coordinator for the Cards.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wonder if Steve Wilks got paid for losing games. Some of you must think KK did too. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Further proof Haslam is a moron. You didn't have to pay Jackson to lose. He could do that for free.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bingo. Plenty of black assistant coaches, but the number of head coaches in college football is still rather low. That's the pool that the NFL usually picks from for their assistants and possibly a head coach.

Minority ownership (of a team or teams) would likely help the situation, but the cost of owning an NFL team is ridiculous and the 32 teams rarely change ownership. Broncos are up for sale, but the price is estimated to be $4 billion.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How many teams start 1-7, and then win 7 straight & 8 of last 9? Says a lot about what his players thought of him as they certainly didn't quit. I'd rather see that than what we've seen with KK.
I agree hes better than Kliff...but we have to remember there are teams that would look at a coach 3 years in...Losing Record...No playoffs...and say..."Thats not enough".

We just happen to be the laughing stock of the league in that we would be "thrilled" with Flores and his progress.

My point was its not like he has been unquestionably successful. He has a losing record. He has had several high draft picks in a row. He finished 3rd in his division this year.

To claim he was fired because of Racism is a bogus excuse IMO. Also completely discounting his fairly public unhappiness with Tua, the guy that Miami wanted to literally tank for. There are only a few coaches that can pull the "Its me or the franchise QB" card and win. Flores was not one of them.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing the NFL could do.

The Broncos are up for sale. They could make sure that team is sold to a Black owner. Plenty of wealthy Black people out there that would want to own an NFL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.