https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It's going down in brownie town, too.
You must be registered for see images attach

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I was really hoping we would hire Flores to be our DC. He’s a solid coach. Because of what he said about Wilks I don’t see MB even thinking about him now. If what Flores is saying about the owner wanting and paying him to throw games that is really messed up. I hope that owner goes to prison for that and the Dolphins are taken from him with no reimbursement.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's going down in brownie town, too.
If this is true, the NFL is in HUGE TROUBLE. Heads need to roll, starting with Goddell

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If this is true, the NFL is in HUGE TROUBLE. Heads need to roll, starting with Goddell

What does it have to do with racism though?

Firstly, Hue Jackson took the money knowing losing would hurt his reputation and career. That was greed and he deserves all he gets. Flores refused.

I'm sure there are white coaches been asked the same thing.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Firstly, Hue Jackson took the money knowing losing would hurt his reputation and career. That was greed and he deserves all he gets. Flores refused.

It would depend on if any other coaches of different races come out with similar accusations of paying for poor performance. If this is an experience unique to a set of race / religion / orientation, that is a big workplace violation.

You have to be thinking about this from a workplace standpoint and less a racial standpoint.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In all honesty that’s a piss poor example, given their track record for hiring minorities. Wilkes was a poor choice & exactly why he’s been out if the league
Not to mention, Bidwill made it clear (though nobody seems to care) that Wilks was his choice and not Keim’s. If anything, Keim should’ve been fired for bringing in McCoy/Bradford. God, that was painful.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Defector just had a big story about nepotism in the NFL, also. Guys getting fast-tracked because Dad is the head coach over more-qualified and experienced candidates.

The Lede was Mike Zimmer promoting his kid to co-DC alongside a guy with like 15 years’ time. People don’t respect that.
Ha, like that never happens anywhere else.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s interesting is that in his report, Esiason said the Giants had offered Daboll the job days before officially announcing him as their new head coach.

“Giants named Brian Daboll as their new head coach Friday. Now he was offered the job earlier in the week but had to wait for the Giants to complete the formal interviewing process,” Esiason said in his update on Monday (1:30 mark).

Keep in mind that Esiason reported this on Monday, a day before Flores’ formal lawsuit was filed on Tuesday.

If Esiason’s information is correct, that makes two people (him and Belichick) who apparently knew the Giants were making Daboll their head coach despite the team still having more interviews to conduct.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots to digest. When you file a tough win suit, you throw out everything you can find. Wilkes is an example of the tactic. Don’t think it’s a big factor either way. The Cards have made a sincere effort to make opportunities available and to develop minority candidates at all levels including the front office. They have been one of the best examples of effort. I must add picking Kingsbury does reduce the chances that any coordinator mentoring could happen.
The idea 70% of the league is black and only 1 head coach is de facto substantiation that the suit’s premise is valid. It’s a prima facie case. The NFL as well as a few other leagues, have quite a bit to answer for doing.
To me it appears the Dolphins hired Flores hoping he’d contribute to the team’s decline and thus to get better picks. Once it was clear they’d reached the point of being competitive, they dumped him.
The guy in Texas didn’t get much of a shot either. The NFL should have pushed harder for minority coordinators. There are some, but there should be many more.
Part of the problem starts in colleges. In too many key conferences, black coaches are seldom given a shot to coach the top teams. The key coaching trees being plucked by the NFL rarely include black coaches. It’s a self perpetuating system.
This will be a hard suit to win, but it’s an issue that must be resolved so those who’ve loved the game and have the skills get a fair opportunity to make a career out of it once their typically short playing career is over.
One question, if 70 pct of the league is black could it be reverse racism?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Several different topics here.

1) Is the racism (or perceived) by the minority coaches
2) Is the revelation that owners were allegedly paying coaches to tank.

#2 is a huge problem for the NFL, even if #1 is disproven.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What’s interesting is that in his report, Esiason said the Giants had offered Daboll the job days before officially announcing him as their new head coach.

“Giants named Brian Daboll as their new head coach Friday. Now he was offered the job earlier in the week but had to wait for the Giants to complete the formal interviewing process,” Esiason said in his update on Monday (1:30 mark).

Keep in mind that Esiason reported this on Monday, a day before Flores’ formal lawsuit was filed on Tuesday.

If Esiason’s information is correct, that makes two people (him and Belichick) who apparently knew the Giants were making Daboll their head coach despite the team still having more interviews to conduct.

Still not racism. This is normal practice for all businesses and I'm certain also happens all the time with white coaches.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Several different topics here.

1) Is the racism (or perceived) by the minority coaches
2) Is the revelation that owners were allegedly paying coaches to tank.

#2 is a huge problem for the NFL, even if #1 is disprove

2 isnt even grounds for a lawsuit -- its unseemly behavior by the owner, likely has NFL implications, etc.

But, AFAIK, Miami was ready to honor his contract, so there really isnt anything he could sue over. Dolphins defense here: we were rebuilding, getting a higher draft choice and our choice of QB is a part of that strategy, and........ we recognized the losing wouldnt reflect well on the Coach, so we offered to compensate him for that.

#1 is a lawsuit, although weirdly -- its maybe the Broncos and Giants who are more at risk than the Dolphins.

The Dolphins defense will be "we actually hired him, coaches get let go all the time, and we are going to honor his contract".

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
2 isnt even grounds for a lawsuit -- its unseemly behavior by the owner, likely has NFL implications, etc.

But, AFAIK, Miami was ready to honor his contract, so there really isnt anything he could sue over. Dolphins defense here: we were rebuilding, getting a higher draft choice and our choice of QB is a part of that strategy, and........ we recognized the losing wouldnt reflect well on the Coach, so we offered to compensate him for that.

#1 is a lawsuit, although weirdly -- its maybe the Broncos and Giants who are more at risk than the Dolphins.

The Dolphins defense will be "we actually hired him, coaches get let go all the time, and we are going to honor his contract".
I'm no legal expert but couldn't the push to tank threaten the NFL's anti-trust exemptions? I mean, Congress has given the NFL a wide berth on this topic, but if we found out teams were pushing to tank...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm no legal expert but couldn't the push to tank threaten the NFL's anti-trust exemptions? I mean, Congress has given the NFL a wide berth on this topic, but if we found out teams were pushing to tank...
Not to mention that the NFL has gotten ALL THE WAY IN BED with the gambling industry. If results are fixed...

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did we not all know sucky teams might try to tank at the end of the season?

Vegas knows too and factors it in.

The only thing new here is coaches getting paid for it.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Did we not all know sucky teams might try to tank at the end of the season?

Vegas knows too and factors it in.

The only thing new here is coaches getting paid for it.

that sounds good in theory, not sure how true that is in reality. the lions beat the cards and the packers in the final 3 weeks of the season, costing them the #1 pick

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
that sounds good in theory, not sure how true that is in reality. the lions beat the cards and the packers in the final 3 weeks of the season, costing them the #1 pick

Sure. Not all teams do it. But I'm sure Vegas can tell those that are.

Status
Not open for further replies.