OT: Brian Flores Suing NFL Alleging Racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertDevil

Reaction score
With a 25% head coach termination rate every year, it sure seems like teams are doing a terrible job of hiring qualified candidates.

You're right, let's fix it with a diversity quota and see where that number goes.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
One thing the NFL could do.

The Broncos are up for sale. They could make sure that team is sold to a Black owner. Plenty of wealthy Black people out there that would want to own an NFL team.
So now discriminate against anyone that isn't black?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hilarious
I guess the black athletes are just better? But the white coach is just being favored?
Is there anybody out there that can clearly claim Daboll isn’t the best candidate or that there is somebody better than him?
Or is it that just because he is white it’s wrong?

I am not racist by any means but I find it unfair that a less talented person should be hired because of color.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would disagree with that statement

No normal or reasonable person would believe that racism is still not a major issue in this country and that many minorities are denied opportunities that whites take for granted

Yes accountability and responsibility need to happen especially from the good old boys club
The point is this. I'm sure there is racism in this country. But it doesn't come into play EVERY time like most are led to believe. I'm white and I've been discriminated against by blacks. It goes both ways and anybody that says it doesn't is fooling themselves

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
curious if there is a consensus correct ratio of black head coaches in the NFL. 1/32 is clearly not right by any measure.

Flores' lawsuit references a league whose players are ~70% black. Is that the comparator? African Americans are ~13% of the population -- which would be 4 or 5 HCs in the NFL. is that the right comparator?

I always find it odd that the goal is never really defined other than "more". More is needed, but how will you know when you get there?
Excellent post. If anyone is going to use ratio’s and/or percentages then use ALL of them.
Take every coach, GM, staff and players and what would the ratio be?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Racism exists. I think if you're white and have experienced reverse-racism (I have), keep in mind you are experiencing probably .00000000001% of what minorities have experienced in our country's history. Whites have about a 200 year head start. And that's all I'll say about this.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I guess the black athletes are just better? But the white coach is just being favored?
Is there anybody out there that can clearly claim Daboll isn’t the best candidate or that there is somebody better than him?
Or is it that just because he is white it’s wrong?

I am not racist by any means but I find it unfair that a less talented person should be hired because of color.
Daboll was hired because of his development of Josh Allen and they want him to work with Daniel Jones and hope to get similar results. Nothing more, nothing less.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
You're right, let's fix it with a diversity quota and see where that number goes.
No one's saying to have a "diversity quote." What's being said is that minorities, especially Black candidates, should have a fair shake at HC positions. When Flores is essentially being treated like the token candidate to pacify the Rooney Rule, it shows that there is a sistemic issues with the hiring process and that the Good Ole Boy network should be taken to task.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is reality. The owner has a right to hire the man he wants.
One would hope he would hire the best man. If he passes on the best man because he is black, then he’s an idiot.
The same could be said if he is force to hire a less qualified man because he is black is that fair?
Maybe the NFL should have blind interviews. Disguised voices and the whole nine yards.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daboll was hired because of his development of Josh Allen and they want him to work with Daniel Jones and hope to get similar results. Nothing more, nothing less.
Exactly. So to meet a so called “ ratio” it would be unfair to make the Giants hire a coach the believed to be inferior.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point is this. I'm sure there is racism in this country. But it doesn't come into play EVERY time like most are led to believe. I'm white and I've been discriminated against by blacks. It goes both ways and anybody that says it doesn't is fooling themselves
It comes into play more than most are willing to admit. And no, no one is staying it happens EVERY time. No one has said that for decades (back when IT WAS TRUE). We are still catching up to centuries of discrimination.

As to the posters who ask - shouldn't the league only be 15% black players? NO - that is on merit - where we will eventually get to with coaching, but it takes decades.

The first black NFL player was Kenny Washington of the Rams. He was only signed because the Cleveland Rams moved to LA, and wanted to play at the Coliseum. LA insisted that they would only rent to an integrated team. Rams signed Washington and then Woody Strode (both former UCLA players).

It took 43 years after that before the first black head coach was hired.

Reaction score
Another thing to consider here is a stat I just heard on sports radio.

Over the last 60 years, 121 White Head Coaches were fired that got a second chance either as a Head Coach or at least an OC or DC position. Over the same time frame, that number for second chances at HC/OC/DC for Black coaches was... 21.

we've all seen a TON of retreads over the decades we've all watched football and the overwhelming majority of them are white. So, that begs the question, why do so many White Head Coaches get second chances when the same can't be said about Black Head Coaches?
Cheese, I think you are looking at this wrong. If the above is correct then the white coaches get rehired at a 6-1 ratio. I'm pretty sure white coaches out number black coaches by a lot more than 6-1. It's probably 100-1 over the past 60 years. Which is a shame. This shows that black coaches are getting rehired at a better rate than white coaches.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Racism exists. I think if you're white and have experienced reverse-racism (I have), keep in mind you are experiencing probably .00000000001% of what minorities have experienced in our country's history. Whites have about a 200 year head start. And that's all I'll say about this.
There is not such thing as "reverse-racism". There is simply racism and it can go any which way imaginable. Anyone can be racists towards any other race and even their own race. Don't understand why we have to qualify it with the word reverse.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does it have to do with racism though?

Firstly, Hue Jackson took the money knowing losing would hurt his reputation and career. That was greed and he deserves all he gets. Flores refused.

I'm sure there are white coaches been asked the same thing.

His lawsuit alleges both racism and corruption but he didn't use the word corruption I can't offhand remember what they called it.

That's why they included the pay to lose stuff.

Also note there's some allegation that Flores believes he was hired to lose intentionally so they could get a better draft pick, then fire him and hire a "better" coach, who of course was white. And that the owner was furious that Flores won too many games.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The problem with hiring the most qualified candidate is that they became the most qualified often because of discrimination. They didn’t get that college OC job 10 years ago because the head coach wanted a guy who he’d worked with 15 years ago when black coaches were openly discriminated against in some major conferences. 3 years later that white guy who got that OC job did great and himself got a head coaching job where he was chosen over 5 other white OCs. He has a great offensive mind. 2 years later an NFL team hires him because of that great offensive mind. Meanwhile things have eased up and that black that didn’t get the OC job finally gets one. The only problem is there are now 25 white coaches who got jobs and experience while the black guy waited. So in 7 years after he’s worked his way up to get NFL attention, every competing candidate has more experience, certainly some have been successful. That’s the issue, if you always choose the most qualified candidate the black guy is practically at retirement age before he gets a shot. So yeah, sometimes you have to pick a candidate who seems to have the skills but not be the guy with the most experience. Is that fair to the white guy who didn't discriminate against anyone: no! However If you ever want to break this pattern you sacrifice the white guy. Fortunately, the NFL makes so many changes in a year or 2 he’ll get that shot. For him it’s opportunity delayed. For the black guy it’s a real chance. Who’s to blame? All those white guys who’ve discriminated for years. Don’t think you’ll make me feel sorry for team owners who have to pass on their favorite choice. It’s a white, old boys club that has had their favorite for years. It’s time to pay the piper. It’s not that I’m just white and liberal. It’s because in this case I‘ve met many of these black guys and I believe what’s fair is fair.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Vikings expected to hire Rams OC Kevin O'Connell as head coach. Another white coach and one that doesn't even call the plays.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to talk about lack of merit look at many of the owners

What did Michael Bidwill do to deserve to be President/Owner? What about Dean Spanos? Mark Davis? The McCaskey’s ? Maras? Rooneys? Haslams? Kroenke? Browns? Yorks?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you want to talk about lack of merit look at many of the owners

What did Michael Bidwill do to deserve to be President/Owner? What about Dean Spanos? Mark Davis? The McCaskey’s ? Maras? Rooneys? Haslams? Kroenke? Browns? Yorks?

Yeah its time to make some changes not just on the field and giving the ownership to some black dudes
I hope it happens with the Cardinals

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
He lost me by bringing up Wilkes. That was literally the worst, most unwatchable season of football I have ever seen at any level. Wilkes could have easily been fired after like 10 games and ut would have been justified. They allowed him to finish the season...PAID HIM...and went a different way. That is not racism, it's admitting a mistake was made in the first place.

Flores thought he was bigger than the "franchise QB" and he was wrong. I have no doubt they asked Tua what he thought of Flores and he probably didn't have many nice things to say. I think we are one season away from the same situation with Kliff and Kyler.

If he's going to sue the NFL an claim racism...he's going to need a better argument than "that other qualified guy got the job and I didn't". I would have chosen Daboll over Flores too, because he helped make Josh Allen into a stud, and tge Bill's have a great offense. What were the dolphins really good at again?
I agree with your Wilkes take, but unless you are a Cardinals fan that actually watched that train-wreck of a season, the optics are bad. One and done, then hire a losing college coach. I can understand why he would bring that up.

I disagree about Brian Dabol. The offensive coordinator designs the plays and works with the quarterback on what he likes. I really believe Jordan Palmer is responsible for his improvement. Constant repetition and a lot of hard work is what made Josh Allen improve.

I think Brian Dabol flames out in 3 years in NY.

yagetonemoreyear

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, I watched very few games in 2018. That team was so bad it was painful.
Holy crapcakes Batman !
The defender of all conservative thought on the Cards could NOT BE BOTHERED to watch some games one season because the team was just that bad ?

I thought I was some lightweight poseur, threatening to change teams after 29 years of fandom (never lived anywhere else with a team prior and never developed any greatl ove for any team, prior)

LOL, I am a superfan compared to that admission... geez, post no more, you have demonstrated how lightweight (helium-like) your opinion is...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Holy crapcakes Batman !
The defender of all conservative thought on the Cards could NOT BE BOTHERED to watch some games one season because the team was just that bad ?

I thought I was some lightweight poseur, threatening to change teams after 29 years of fandom (never lived anywhere else with a team prior and never developed any greatl ove for any team, prior)

LOL, I am a superfan compared to that admission... geez, post no more, you have demonstrated how lightweight (helium-like) your opinion is...
Eat a dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05