OT: Brian Flores Suing NFL Alleging Racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
curious if there is a consensus correct ratio of black head coaches in the NFL. 1/32 is clearly not right by any measure.

Flores' lawsuit references a league whose players are ~70% black. Is that the comparator? African Americans are ~13% of the population -- which would be 4 or 5 HCs in the NFL. is that the right comparator?

I always find it odd that the goal is never really defined other than "more". More is needed, but how will you know when you get there?
I think the better comp would be what percentage of coaches in the league are former players? If it’s 70% and 70% of the players are black then 1 of 32 teams just doesn’t compute, does it? If the percentage of HCs is an even higher number of former players it gets worse and worse. I think that’s where the 70% of the league being black comes into play, because it’s the primary breeding grounds for future head coaches.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Current black QB coaches

Pep Hamilton - Houston
Brian Johnson - Philly
Charles London - Atlanta
Ronald Curry - New Orleans
Ronald curry, now there’s a guy I thought would become something special but never did. Interesting that he’s gotten this far in coaching.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I guess the black athletes are just better? But the white coach is just being favored?
Is there anybody out there that can clearly claim Daboll isn’t the best candidate or that there is somebody better than him?
Or is it that just because he is white it’s wrong?

I am not racist by any means but I find it unfair that a less talented person should be hired because of color.
First literally NONE of us are qualified to say whether Daboll is a more qualified hire. None of us were privy to their respective pitches. We don’t know what their proposed plans were, who they listed as potential staff, etc.

Second the issue isn’t that the NFL isn’t hiring less talented black coaches, unless it’s your contention that black coaches are just by definition less talented. I don’t think that’s what you believe. The issue is with 1/32 being black they’re obviously not hiring the talented ones, period. That’s a problem, no?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Excellent post. If anyone is going to use ratio’s and/or percentages then use ALL of them.
Take every coach, GM, staff and players and what would the ratio be?
That’s not the right way to view it. That’s like saying a company isn’t racist because it’s 70% black even though there’s not a single black person at a managerial level or higher.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Daboll was hired because of his development of Josh Allen and they want him to work with Daniel Jones and hope to get similar results. Nothing more, nothing less.
First of all, no one hires a head coach on such a flimsy basis. A LOT more goes into the decision process. And we have no idea what the difference makers are typically. Newsflash: we aren’t privy to 95% of the information and discussions that take place.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Here is reality. The owner has a right to hire the man he wants.
One would hope he would hire the best man. If he passes on the best man because he is black, then he’s an idiot.
The same could be said if he is force to hire a less qualified man because he is black is that fair?
Maybe the NFL should have blind interviews. Disguised voices and the whole nine yards.
You’re right. Except when 97% of the owners of a monopoly all choose white. Then it becomes a discriminatory issue.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Nobody's entitled to anything in this life no matter what race, ethnicity, or how much of a quality candidate you are. I respect the owner's decision to do whatever he chooses with his money. You can play this equal opportunity/merit game in settings like university admissions and academia where the liberal agenda dominates, but you're going to have a hard time doing this in other parts of the real world such as businesses like the NFL.
That’s right everyone! If black people can’t get a legitimate fair shake because they’re black, well tough crap!

And we wonder how racism persists . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure how a coach can win a case like this when an overwhelming amount of the employees in the NFL are African American.

The NFL lawyers will make sure to mention that they are dealing with a total workforce. Not just one of the jobs within their entire workforce.

Meanwhile..... We all can probably guess real quick that everything BF is saying is true. He's just saying the quiet part out loud right now.

Still though, I don't know how he wins anything here.
Glass ceilings are absolutely a legitimate legal cause of action. If a black employee can only rise to a certain level within an institution, that’s institutional racism. And it’s actionable.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think you would be surprised how much this is being taken seriously in Corporate America. I work for a global monster company and I can tell you things have changed. Equal opportunity is first in mind. And this is spreading to other companies quickly that want to be attractive to the best employees.
Same. If someone doesn’t believe it in this day and age, the day abd age has passed them by and they’ve become a dinosaur, whether they know it or not.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nothing frivolous about this suit. It’s about 20 years late, but I think the NFL will negotiate a deal. Look at the numbers for black coaches compared to white coaches. The NFL has discriminated and they are about to pay the price.

It is frivolous, because everything he is building his case on is garbage.

Sue the NFL over the Roonet rule, or the lack of Black HC's. Use the stats for how many Black coaches there are vs how many Black HC's compared to the same with White coaches.

But the things he has actually named in his suit are trash and aren't going to win him anything.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That’s not the right way to view it. That’s like saying a company isn’t racist because it’s 70% black even though there’s not a single black person at a managerial level or higher.

Plantations weren't racist because blacks were represented, so to speak, by a few straw bosses in the fields. ;)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean my plantation discriminates? 95% of the people on here are black! Just ignore the fact that all the overseers and the owner are white.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I wonder if this will impact VJ getting a HC job (Dolphins?) or not getting fired by the Cardinals now.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Where have you heard, beyond this board, that VJ was for the chop?

I haven't heard it - pure speculation and hope. :)

I have nothing against VJ but we can't stop the run and we are not using our top 2 picks effectively. That has to change.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards are keeping their entire coaching staff. They would have already made moves by now. I'm sure they are all in Mobile at the Senior Bowl. Bottom line we are stuck with Keim, KK & VJ for the 2022 season. :bang:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards are keeping their entire coaching staff. They would have already made moves by now. I'm sure they are all in Mobile at the Senior Bowl. Bottom line we are stuck with Keim, KK & VJ for the 2022 season. :bang:
Depressing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05