OT: Brian Flores Suing NFL Alleging Racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I don't have a definition of what "qualified" is, but I think owners should be able to do whatever they'd like with their own team and have the freedom to hire whoever they'd like. If they want to implement diversity in their coach hiring, so be it. Forcing them to do it is ridiculous. If they push for it, we could talk about increasing player diversity as well since we want to be fair and equal.
Let’s take race out of this for a minute. What if you were the best candidate for a job but someone less qualified was hired because they were already the choice with the Manager and your interview was NEVER going to factor into the decision. Do you think that’s fair?

Everyone should have an equal opportunity to put their best self forward and be judged on their merit.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
The biggest issue is that this will be a tough transition to make. The NFL is an offensively driven league and it's rules make it so. This creates a perceived advantage on that side of the ball and a priority in finding someone who can maximize that advantage. This leads to head coaches with offensive backgrounds. Similarly, the league due to the salary cap and college places a higher priority on younger players who are cheap and getting a young QB to develop. Many offensive coaches at the younger levels are former QBs at some level. Those QBs have been historically white. So the talent pool for offensive minds is skewed towards former QBs who predominantly are white.

The other side is that so many grad assistants and NFL assistants are players who had short NFL careers or no NFL career. Those individuals tend to be white as the league is predominantly black in terms of players. This leads to a larger pool of white former college players looking to find work in coaching than black former college players.

I don't have a ton of hard data in this other than my experiences in coaching and convo's with coaches and players.
Great point! If I am the Giants, I say we are discriminating against Defensive Head Coaches because recent history is proving Offense is what wins games.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Holy crapcakes Batman !
The defender of all conservative thought on the Cards could NOT BE BOTHERED to watch some games one season because the team was just that bad ?

I thought I was some lightweight poseur, threatening to change teams after 29 years of fandom (never lived anywhere else with a team prior and never developed any greatl ove for any team, prior)

LOL, I am a superfan compared to that admission... geez, post no more, you have demonstrated how lightweight (helium-like) your opinion is...
Wait..... I take a self imposed break from the turd fest Cards and I miss this guy? HAHA

:grabs:

DesertDevil

Reaction score
Let’s take race out of this for a minute. What if you were the best candidate for a job but someone less qualified was hired because they were already the choice with the Manager and your interview was NEVER going to factor into the decision. Do you think that’s fair?

Everyone should have an equal opportunity to put their best self forward and be judged on their merit.
Nobody's entitled to anything in this life no matter what race, ethnicity, or how much of a quality candidate you are. I respect the owner's decision to do whatever he chooses with his money. You can play this equal opportunity/merit game in settings like university admissions and academia where the liberal agenda dominates, but you're going to have a hard time doing this in other parts of the real world such as businesses like the NFL.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
It's extremely difficult to argue that Kliff Kingsbury was a well-qualified head coaching candidate while Eric Bienemy remains unqualified.
Nothing to do with race, I don’t get the love for someone who relays play calls from the head coach to the QB. Reid still calls the plays, doesn’t he?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure how a coach can win a case like this when an overwhelming amount of the employees in the NFL are African American.

The NFL lawyers will make sure to mention that they are dealing with a total workforce. Not just one of the jobs within their entire workforce.

Meanwhile..... We all can probably guess real quick that everything BF is saying is true. He's just saying the quiet part out loud right now.

Still though, I don't know how he wins anything here.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I guess the black athletes are just better? But the white coach is just being favored?
Is there anybody out there that can clearly claim Daboll isn’t the best candidate or that there is somebody better than him?
Or is it that just because he is white it’s wrong?

I am not racist by any means but I find it unfair that a less talented person should be hired because of color.
This is about the fact that BB accidentally told Flores that Dabol had been hired before he had a chance to interview. THAT is BULL****. if I was a Giants fan, I would be pissed off. What if Flores would have been a great coach? What if Dabol was handed the job prematurely?

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Racism exists. I think if you're white and have experienced reverse-racism (I have), keep in mind you are experiencing probably .00000000001% of what minorities have experienced in our country's history. Whites have about a 200 year head start. And that's all I'll say about this.
Drop the mic

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Here is reality. The owner has a right to hire the man he wants.
One would hope he would hire the best man. If he passes on the best man because he is black, then he’s an idiot.
The same could be said if he is force to hire a less qualified man because he is black is that fair?
Maybe the NFL should have blind interviews. Disguised voices and the whole nine yards.
BOOM! Make interviews for ALL jobs like “The Dating Game” but also disguise voices and THEN you would have equal opportunity!

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
There is not such thing as "reverse-racism". There is simply racism and it can go any which way imaginable. Anyone can be racists towards any other race and even their own race. Don't understand why we have to qualify it with the word reverse.
irregardless, the fact is, regardless

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. So to meet a so called “ ratio” it would be unfair to make the Giants hire a coach the believed to be inferior.

Except that's not the reality in any company in America. I literally can't promise a job to someone as a senior exec without interviewing every candidate

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Nobody's entitled to anything in this life no matter what race, ethnicity, or how much of a quality candidate you are. I respect the owner's decision to do whatever he chooses with his money. You can play this equal opportunity/merit game in settings like university admissions and academia where the liberal agenda dominates, but you're going to have a hard time doing this in other parts of the real world such as businesses like the NFL.
I think you would be surprised how much this is being taken seriously in Corporate America. I work for a global monster company and I can tell you things have changed. Equal opportunity is first in mind. And this is spreading to other companies quickly that want to be attractive to the best employees.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you would be surprised how much this is being taken seriously in Corporate America. I work for a global monster company and I can tell you things have changed. Equal opportunity is first in mind. And this is spreading to other companies quickly that want to be attractive to the best employees.

We would be freaking out if this was us

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't say this with certitude but I believe that Kliff is the only Head Coach in NFL history with a losing record in college and not a year of pro coaching experience.

He might have got that job because he's good looking. He might have got that.job because he is a charmer. He might have got that job based on Keim's love for Kyler. He might have got that job because Keim was on another bender.

I am not going to guess why but I understand why the optics in this aren't great.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don't say this with certitude but I believe that Kliff is the only Head Coach in NFL history with a losing record in college and not a year of pro coaching experience.

He might have got that job because he's good looking. He might have got that.job because he is a charmer. He might have got that job based on Keim's love for Kyler. He might have got that job because Keim was on another bender.

I am not going to guess why but I understand why the optics in this aren't great.
Dennis Green spent his earlier days coaching at Northwestern and Stanford and had a terrible record. He did have small stints in the NFL as a position coach, but he went directly from Stanford to the Vikings.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Ahh that explains a lot

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dennis Green spent his earlier days coaching at Northwestern and Stanford and had a terrible record. He did have small stints in the NFL as a position coach, but he went directly from Stanford to the Vikings.

But he coached in the NFL as a position coach.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It would depend on if any other coaches of different races come out with similar accusations of paying for poor performance. If this is an experience unique to a set of race / religion / orientation, that is a big workplace violation.

You have to be thinking about this from a workplace standpoint and less a racial standpoint.
This

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm no legal expert but couldn't the push to tank threaten the NFL's anti-trust exemptions? I mean, Congress has given the NFL a wide berth on this topic, but if we found out teams were pushing to tank...
I could see that rising into the equation. It depends how abhorrent the congresspeople would be at tanking. I think it would all be for show and the exemption would remain intact.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
that sounds good in theory, not sure how true that is in reality. the lions beat the cards and the packers in the final 3 weeks of the season, costing them the #1 pick
Yeah yanking isn’t quite the same as it is in the nba where key players have been rested or shelved for games at seasons end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05