Patrick Peterson

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's certainly not where I know he'll be as a cover corner, but he is so, so smooth on punt returns. He is so effortless grabbing the ball out of the air. I can't wait to see him return punts to the house. It WILL happen!

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't know which I am getting first, the PP or the Kolb jersey. I think PP is gonna be just fine, like probowl fine. Hell yeah he's gonna get burned, especially in a defense rocking a new DC, and in preseason games by vets. NFL wide receivers are good at their craft, we should all know that. Dude has skills, mad fast, and has nothing but time on his side. Defense is still gonna take a minute, everybody was cool with that a minute ago, it's not going to change this week either. I think we got the best dude in the draft but that's just me, no koolaid needed for this post.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Certainly wouldn't accomplish anything if he tried to think in the first place :)
Your so classy homie, he's accomplished making it to the NFL, drafted high up in the first round. Many other athletes that have the talent to do so fail because they aren't smart enough to stay out of trouble, or have academic issues, etc.

Last edited:

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Your so classy homie, he's accomplished making it to the NFL, drafted high up in the first round. Many other athletes that have the talent to do so fail because they aren't smart enough to stay out of trouble, or have academic issues, etc.
lol I was joking bro, I personally think he's an amazing talent, and certainly seems to be mature enough not to make stupid decisions off the field. Its very well known in the NFL, you can be dumb as a rock, and still succeed, so by no means was I trying to degrade him as a player :)

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
lol I was joking bro, I personally think he's an amazing talent, and certainly seems to be mature enough not to make stupid decisions off the field. Its very well known in the NFL, you can be dumb as a rock, and still succeed, so by no means was I trying to degrade him as a player :)
My bad, I can't wait to see him take one in for 6, it's gonna happen.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*forehead slap*

1. For those of you judging Wonderlic scores, a lot of agents tell receivers and corners not to put a lot of thought into those tests because a high score doesn't help them. In the case of a receiver, a lower score might even help them. I doubt Peterson worried much over his test and I wouldn't consider even the beginning of an understanding of his intelligence or his ability to think on the football field.

2. Cornerback is the most difficult position on the field. There are dozens of techniques, and most of them are so nuanced that only another professional defensive back would be able to spot them on the field. I'm guessing he's learning the bulk of them now, because it's the most undercoached position in college football -- even in the semi-pro league called the SEC.

3. The criticism he's being asked to play a scheme that's counter-intuitive to what got him into the NFL is valid -- for now. It's not just what's going on in the head. You play zone as a corner you're essentially a safety until the scheme requires you to break off and cover a receiver. Peterson isn't a safety, doesn't think like a safety, and is probably undergoing a very challenging adjustment playing in space instead on the LOS being physical. In the SEC for a defense that likes to get after it, I doubt he's even been asked to do much more than "make that guy disappear."

4. On that train of thought, I'm baffled why you spend big resources on a big, physical corner who can run if you're not going to take advantage of him. Can he knock smaller receivers off their routes and run with them downfield? Pretty sure he can. Maybe that's something they're holding until the regular season, because it's painfully obvious he's a D+ zone corner right now -- he looks really, really lost in space.

Last edited:

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
*forehead slap*

1. For those of you judging Wonderlic scores, a lot of agents tell receivers and corners not to put a lot of thought into those tests because a high score doesn't help them. In the case of a receiver, a lower score might even help them. I doubt Peterson worried much over his test and I wouldn't consider even the beginning of an understanding of his intelligence or his ability to think on the football field.

2. Cornerback is the most difficult position on the field.
First of all, why would an agent whose looking out for the best interest of their client, tell them not to try on an IQ test? A lot of teams put at least 'some' emphasis on the wonderlic, because it determines the players ability to think fast, and make logical decisions, and also grasp the vast playbooks in the NFL. The smarter the player, the more responsibility they're given. Peyton Manning > Vince Young.

Second, Cornerback is definitely not the 'most difficult position'. It's not even the most difficult position on defense. Its historically known that the QB and C positions are the hardest positions. Which is why 'most' teams like to draft smarter QB's and Centers, so they have a lot more flexibility to change plays, line positions etc..

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He had Jennings covered perfectly on the touchdown play, but you could tell he hasn't learned the back-shoulder throw that QBs use in the NFL.

yeah, and let's not forget, that's rodgers throwing a perfect pass to jennings. two pro's- pros that just won a superbowl. a less perfect pass and i think PP's there to make the play. later in the game he was right there on a slant and just didn't make the play. i was impressed with his positioning on both plays, cheese said, "great another tommy knight." to which i responded, "two weeks of camp with no OTAs and the dude was incredibly hyped coming out unlike knight, give the kid some time, i think he's gonna be special." y'all are too quick to judge in this case.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My basic impressions of Patrick Peterson are pretty good actually which makes this conversation a bit shocking.

Patrick Peterson has shown a natural ability to return punts which reinforces what we knew when we drafted him that he was a solid punt returner.

Patrick Peterson shows very fluid motion in coverage, and his biggest problem is allowing too much cushion on wide receivers. He will learn that pro QB's can put it on a dime at will, and lock this up. This is a common adjustment for college DB's.

No pass interference calls or illegal contact penalties which tells me he has good body control and feet. Both of these traits are important for top CB's.

Has shown the ability and willingness to come up a make tackles. A physical CB like the Cardinals needs.

With two weeks of professional experience, I think that he is well ahead of the curve actually.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, why would an agent whose looking out for the best interest of their client, tell them not to try on an IQ test?

I can't claim any truth to this. However, this reminds me of a different scenario that might apply.

I just finished my AA in Computer Networking and was in need of cash. I went to places like Best Buy, Circuit City etc. to get a job. I was repeatedly told I was over-qualified.

After about the 3rd or 4th time, I frankly asked how that could be. Why wouldn't you want someone who knows computers to fix and possibly sell them? The manager told me that they'd rather hire someone with absolutely no experience and knowledge of computers. He mentioned that they could mold them into saying and doing what they wanted and wouldn't know any better.

Again, not sure that that applies to corners and IQ tests, but interesting nonetheless.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
yeah, and let's not forget, that's rodgers throwing a perfect pass to jennings. two pro's- pros that just won a superbowl. a less perfect pass and i think PP's there to make the play. later in the game he was right there on a slant and just didn't make the play. i was impressed with his positioning on both plays, cheese said, "great another tommy knight." to which i responded, "two weeks of camp with no OTAs and the dude was incredibly hyped coming out unlike knight, give the kid some time, i think he's gonna be special." y'all are too quick to judge in this case.

Right there with you, Ouchie.

Folks, let's remember that this defensive system calls for the cushion. I'm willing to give the cushion system a chance, because the system also generates a lot of QB pressure. Don't blame Peterson for the cushion--it is what he's being coached to do.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
How much of his struggles are attributable to learning the system with no summer to prepare?

I understand he has to earn his way on to the first team in Whiz's system. However, I would like to see him get more reps against NFL starters so we can evaluate what we really have in this guy.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I can't claim any truth to this. However, this reminds me of a different scenario that might apply.

I just finished my AA in Computer Networking and was in need of cash. I went to places like Best Buy, Circuit City etc. to get a job. I was repeatedly told I was over-qualified.

After about the 3rd or 4th time, I frankly asked how that could be. Why wouldn't you want someone who knows computers to fix and possibly sell them? The manager told me that they'd rather hire someone with absolutely no experience and knowledge of computers. He mentioned that they could mold them into saying and doing what they wanted and wouldn't know any better.

Again, not sure that that applies to corners and IQ tests, but interesting nonetheless.
Unfortunately, this is what the world has come to. I know several ppl in the same positions, they have MBA's or BA's and they cant find job's because a lot of companies that don't require degrees, prefer not to hire ppl with education due to the fact that they will probably quit and find a better job when it's available.

However, I don't think this applies to the NFL at all. When a player is drafted, they're hired for their skill sets. With playbooks becoming more and more complex every year, a team would typically like to draft a guy that has the mental capacity to understand the plays. Again, playing football isn't rocket science by any means, but you can tell when you have dumb players (Vince Young), the team is limited in the amount of plays they can call, and they have to simplify the systems to adhere to their stupidity. CB isn't a complex position, so I think Peterson is just having a hard time understanding the playbook, which is why he's so hesitant. In time, he will get it, and that will allow his athletic ability to flourish.

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score

http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/once-more-unto-the-trench

Reaction score
Give PP a break guys. Cornerback is no easy talk in todays NFL...which is why they get paid so much now.

And we are only going into Week 3 of the preseason. Devin McCourty, one of the best CB's to come out of last years draft last year looked pretty bad around this time last year. But as the season progressed he got better. Plus you add in the lockout effect.

Im a Saints fan living in LSU country so I've followed PP for a while now. That guy will be an elite defensive back. Not just a CB, but he will be an all purpose DB for you guys..similar to a Charles Woodson. But he will have his struggles as pretty much all rookies will at that position. In college he was able to rely mostly on his elite size, strength, and speed. In the NFL where receivers are quicker, bigger, stronger, and smarter....so he will have to learn and refine his technique. CB is all about technique and you can only get better at it by playing time. You will see him get beat a few times, but trust me...they guy is a competitor and he will get better.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is just downright scary. I wonder if all retail is like this.

When you get into construction, the more experience/education you have, the higher the salary you can command. I believe that is true in most of the rest of the business world also.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!