Peterson says LJ Shelton leg whipped him?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read this in the morning paper and got a bit confused, Julian Peterson says although he doesn't blame LJ for his injury, that it was "a cheap shot" and that LJ tried to cut him, missed, and rolled his leg over hitting him in the achilles which "basically ruptured where he kicked me."

Now I watched it, and taped it and I don't see ANY contact at all, Peterson jumped over LJ, and when he landed it appears he tore the achilles?

I guess the guy is mad after the injury but I do find it ironic that the franchise that invented cut blocking and leg whipping at the LOS is complaining about it, and there was NO CONTACT that I could see.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Read this in the morning paper and got a bit confused, Julian Peterson says although he doesn't blame LJ for his injury, that it was "a cheap shot" and that LJ tried to cut him, missed, and rolled his leg over hitting him in the achilles which "basically ruptured where he kicked me."

Now I watched it, and taped it and I don't see ANY contact at all, Peterson jumped over LJ, and when he landed it appears he tore the achilles?

I guess the guy is mad after the injury but I do find it ironic that the franchise that invented cut blocking and leg whipping at the LOS is complaining about it, and there was NO CONTACT that I could see.

I watched the replay several times on TV. NO CONTACT AT ALL.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea Russ that is complete and utter BS! That shows what a piece of **** Julian Peterson is trying to blam ehis NON CONTACT INJURY on someone else!

He wasnt even touched!

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Yea Russ that is complete and utter BS! That shows what a piece of **** Julian Peterson is trying to blam ehis NON CONTACT INJURY on someone else!

He wasnt even touched!

I think it's frustration not that he's a bad guy(bit selfish for sure) but I just wanted to be sure I'm not the only one who felt he was totally untouched on the injury.

I heard a local sports guy this morning complain about cut blocks and leg whips as needing to be banned and I started laughing, Bill Walsh and Bobb McKittrick pioneered having their OL do that, Alex Gibbs started doing it in Denver because of Shanahan(coached with Walsh and McKittrick). You can't win for 20+ years doing something and then when one of YOUR players gets hurt, on NO CONTACT, whine that it's too dangerous.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
They showed the replay of him landing and LJ didn't touch him. Peterson landed on the one foot and the impact is what caused the injury.

And just on the off chance if he did (which he didn't) it definately could not have been intential.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
LJ missed the block on someone and Peterson jumped and fell awkward on his left foot that caused his injury. I don't remember LJ leg whipping him. :shrug:

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
LJ missed the block on someone and Peterson jumped and fell awkward on his left foot that caused his injury. I don't remember LJ leg whipping him. :shrug:

he said it in the SJ Mercury News, the website is www.mercurycenter.com but you need to sign up and I can't be bothered. I may bring in the article tomorrow and type it out, basically he said it was a cheap block, but not intentional but LJ rolled over after cutting him and his leg kicked Peterson in the achilles and the impact "basically ruptured the tendon."

I just didn't see any contact at all, very weird.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
he said it in the SJ Mercury News, the website is www.mercurycenter.com but you need to sign up and I can't be bothered. I may bring in the article tomorrow and type it out, basically he said it was a cheap block, but not intentional but LJ rolled over after cutting him and his leg kicked Peterson in the achilles and the impact "basically ruptured the tendon."

If I recall correctly... every time a player suffers an injury like that... they always say it felt like they were kicked in the back of the leg. I would only hope that his dumbarse looks at the tape, before he throws out accusations like that.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

How could it have been a cheap block??

LJ completely missed and fell on his face, Peterson then jumped over him and landed funny. Sounds like a poor-ass excuse to me.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Pederson is just pissed because the Postons had him sign the one year franchise tender rather than work out a long term contract. Now he is has to negotiate his next contract while trying to rehab what can be a very serious injury for a guy who relies on speed.

He gambled on a big year....and right now it looks like he was the biggest loser in yesterday's game.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Why would I bothered you? :confused:

NO I meant I can't be bothered to register online so I can post the article, I get the paper at home anyways so I am not registered online.

Otherwise I'd post his exact comment.

sorry.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Capital Card said:
Pederson is just pissed because the Postons had him sign the one year franchise tender rather than work out a long term contract. Now he is has to negotiate his next contract while trying to rehab what can be a very serious injury for a guy who relies on speed.

He gambled on a big year....and right now it looks like he was the biggest loser in yesterday's game.

That's my take, and I also say if he was in camp instead of waiting for the money, he might not have blown out his achilles on a no contact play.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
NO I meant I can't be bothered to register online so I can post the article, I get the paper at home anyways so I am not registered online.

Otherwise I'd post his exact comment.

sorry.
Oic. I forgot I already register to this newspaper online. :wave:

Last edited:

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Julian Peterson's season is over
LINEBACKER SUFFERS TEAR OF ACHILLES'

By Dennis Georgatos

Mercury News

Julian Peterson felt the stabbing pain in his heel and thought at first it was just a bruise or a cramp. Within minutes, the 49ers' doctors told the two-time Pro Bowl linebacker otherwise.

``They said I was done,'' Peterson said. Not just for the day, but for the season.

Peterson tore his left Achilles' tendon Sunday late in the first quarter of the 49ers' 31-28 overtime victory over the Arizona Cardinals. According to Peterson, he was scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today and soon will undergo surgery to repair the tear.

Peterson was playing on a one-year, $6.1 million tender extended to him as the club's exclusive franchise player. He and his agents, Kevin and Carl Poston, had turned down a multiyear offer that General Manager Terry Donahue said would have made him the second-highest-paid linebacker in the league and included a $15 million signing bonus.

``It is the worst-case scenario,'' Peterson said, quickly adding that he has no regrets. ``I feel if I can rewind the hands of time, I'd do the same thing. It is what it is. All I can do is let it heal, hope for the best and come back in shape ready to kick butt next year.

``The doctors said it wasn't that bad of a tear and I should be able to come back stronger than ever. And I'm still going to be here to cheer on my teammates and give them great support. This is a team event. It's bigger than me.''

That was especially evident in the frantic final moments of Sunday's game, when Peterson, who watched the second half from the sideline, on crutches and in street clothes, hopped on the team bench and waved a towel to whip up support from the few fans who hung around.

``I don't expect nothing else,'' linebacker Jeff Ulbrich said. ``Julian's the ultimate team guy. There's a reason he got the franchise tag. There's a reason he can demand as much money as he demands.''

Peterson, who missed training camp as part of a contract holdout, said he had not had a chance to speak with his agents but did speak briefly with Donahue and other team brass. ``They said they were sorry to see that happen to me, stuff like that, and hope for the best for the next year,'' Peterson said.

When a reporter asked if they planned do anything special for him, Peterson laughed and said, ``They've got to do something special for me, a basket of food, or something.''

Donahue was not available for comment.

Coach Dennis Erickson said: ``Here's the leader of our defense that makes a lot of plays for us and has played very well. When you lose a guy like that, it is hard. We have to make up for him being gone. It's a devastating loss for us, but for him especially.''

Peterson, who entering the game had a team-high 2 1/2 sacks and was among its leading tacklers, was hurt as he blitzed the Cardinals' Josh McCown. He got around L.J. Shelton's cut block but as he closed in on the quarterback, the tackle whipped his leg around, striking Peterson's heel.

``He swung his leg and just kind of hit me,'' Peterson said. ``He just happened to get a good piece of my Achilles' tendon and it pretty much ruptured.''

Though Peterson described the cut technique as ``kind of a cheap block,'' he said he did not believe Shelton tried to hurt him intentionally.

``Stuff like that happens,'' Peterson said. ``It's part of the game.''

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/football/nfl/san_francisco_49ers/9889992.htm

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, pretty much what I remember, leg hit his heel, said it was a cheap block.

I gotta watch the replay again I don't think he touched him.

TopGun

Registered
Reaction score
C & P off fanball.com

49ers: Peterson likely done for the year

THE NEWS

San Francisco linebacker Julian Peterson was carted off the field during the first half of Sunday's game versus the Cardinals with a torn Achilles, according to FOX TV. Peterson was not hit on the play and is likely done for the year.

OUR VIEW

This is a devastating blow to the San Francisco defense. Peterson is one of the best young linebackers in the league.

Lenny_Biscuit

Rookie
Reaction score
When the achilles is blown people often think that someone just kicked or punched them in the calf muscle. Peterson probably felt this sensation and mistakenly thought Shelton hit him.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Wait, another franchise player holdout has a season ending injury.... doesn't this seem to happen to about a third of the guys who sit out ALL training camp? Maybe it is juts a coinky dinky, but blaming the next closest player to you when the injury happens is junk. He's just frsutrated and wants to not be hurt, but don't mark a guy's reputation with your frustration.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
Wait, another franchise player holdout has a season ending injury.... doesn't this seem to happen to about a third of the guys who sit out ALL training camp? Maybe it is juts a coinky dinky, but blaming the next closest player to you when the injury happens is junk. He's just frsutrated and wants to not be hurt, but don't mark a guy's reputation with your frustration.

My thoughts exactly.

Peterson needs to shut up and watch the replay though, he said this today on the play.

Peterson hopped off the field after the Cardinals' L.J. Shelton hit him with a low block. Early in the second quarter, he was taken to the locker room on a cart.

"I'm disappointed that I went out on a play like that," Peterson said. "The guy couldn't take me down, so he kind of leg-whipped me. He hit me in the right spot and took me out at my Achilles', but I can't do nothing about that."

Fact is there was no contact.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peterson retracted this and apologized to LJ after watching tape.

Stupid to say in the first place, but classy to apologize...