Phoenix, Seattle Closing in on Deal?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Because i mentioned that we might select Redick if Barbosa is involved in the deal, and the Duke haters come out and start the bashing.

Probably still upset with Arizona getting beat for the championship in 2001.

Yeah, sorry - not a Cats fan and I actually attended Duke basketball camp for two summers in between my sophomore and junior year and have the utmost respect for Coach K... even though they wouldnt' let us watch the freaking Finals when the Suns were in them because we had to listen to Laettner drone on and on.

It couldn't just be that slow, unathelteic white shooting guards, who have a history of choking against bigger athletes and better competition is the reason Redick is getting slammed, right? Nah. It couldn't be that.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Because i mentioned that we might select Redick if Barbosa is involved in the deal, and the Duke haters come out and start the bashing.

Probably still upset with Arizona getting beat for the championship in 2001.

:mad:

Now you are not making any friends

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I'm just havign a little fun with someone who has dug a very deep grave for themself. I've got another question - apparently only teams in the Tourney game-plan to stop Redick and that's why he's so horrendous in post-season play. Does that mean the rest of the coaches all year long are just THAT stupid and never figured out that if you shut down Redick you beat Duke? Or could it be simply that EVERY coach gameplans Duke that way and Redick does just fine in the regular season when there's not as much pressure and the level of play isn't as high, but as the level of play and intensity rises he goes into meltdown? That couldnt' be, right?

And as far as getting wide-open three pointers - you do realize that both Dallas and SA gameplan where they let Amare/Diaw get his points one and one and they figure if they clamp down on the shooters (which they did in knocking us out the last two years), we're dead. So, how does Redick help us in that scenario. Is he going to be able to get away from Bruce Bowen clamping down on him or Josh Howard clmapiong down on him? Maybe Howard, after all, he "owned Howard many a nights" in college, averaging 8.5 points a game.

I said that Redick is a better 3point shooter than Leo, and he could replace him.

I never said he would be our savior our something.

We wouldnt be asking Redick to come in and dominate, he would be a spotup shooter and a damn good one at that.

Not to mention hes also great coming off screens and draining the three, something that no one other than Nash can do on this team.

Its much harder to defend the three when you have guys that are more than just catch and shoot threats.

Also ever think that maybe after fighting through all those screens during the season and running around like a chicken with his head cutoff, maybe fatigue set in with Redick during the tourny?

He has to work harder than anyone else in college to get an open look.

NastyOne

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Yeah, sorry - not a Cats fan and I actually attended Duke basketball camp for two summers in between my sophomore and junior year and have the utmost respect for Coach K... even though they wouldnt' let us watch the freaking Finals when the Suns were in them because we had to listen to Laettner drone on and on.

It couldn't just be that slow, unathelteic white shooting guards, who have a history of choking against bigger athletes and better competition is the reason Redick is getting slammed, right? Nah. It couldn't be that.

Choking against better competition?

Redick plays against the best competition in the college playing in the ACC.

The same conference that he lead in scoring, and usually kills in the ACC tourny.

If Redick was a black guy, everyone would be comparing him to the Jason Terry's and Michael Redd's of the NBA.

Redick has great agility and quickness, but hes white so hes unathletic. :rolleyes:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

The difference between regular season and the tournament is that the opponents are better, often much better. The same with the playoffs. When Marion has trouble against Bowen and Howard, it might be because everyone else does too. That's not choking. Missing a free throw that would send a game into overtime like Dirk did is my idea of choking. Not putting up great numbers against great defenders is simply a part of the game.

My concern with Redick is simple. I'm not convinced he will be nearly as effect against NBA level defenders as he was against college guys. If the best college players can shut him down, does he have the athleticism to deal with NBA defenders. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd sure hate to gamble a #10 on it.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
NastyOne said:

The same conference that he lead in scoring, and usually kills in the ACC tourny.

If Redick was a black guy, everyone would be comparing him to the Jason Terry's and Michael Redd's of the NBA.

Redick has great agility and quickness, but hes white so hes unathletic. :rolleyes:

Slippery slope man.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
NastyOne said:

No actually he's unathletic because he is unathletic.

Quick someone get this guys Redicks numbers from the NBA combine stat!

NastyOne

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
The difference between regular season and the tournament is that the opponents are better, often much better. The same with the playoffs. When Marion has trouble against Bowen and Howard, it might be because everyone else does too. That's not choking. Missing a free throw that would send a game into overtime like Dirk did is my idea of choking. Not putting up great numbers against great defenders is simply a part of the game.

My concern with Redick is simple. I'm not convinced he will be nearly as effect against NBA level defenders as he was against college guys. If the best college players can shut him down, does he have the athleticism to deal with NBA defenders. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd sure hate to gamble a #10 on it.

Thats the thing though, Teams don't shut Redick down with one guy.

Everyone takes away the 3point line from Duke, and hes forced to run around until he can find some kind of daylight.

There is a reason that with no real post moves or outside shot Sheldon Williams can manage to score 18ppg.

And Williams will be nothing more than a journey man PowerCenter in the NBA, and he'll be a lotto pick.

He got the Reggie Miller treatment in college, and its very hard for a 6'4 guy to score like that.

Teams can't do that in the NBA if hes playing with legit threats like Nash and Amare.

NastyOne

Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
No actually he's unathletic because he is unathletic.

Quick someone get this guys Redicks numbers from the NBA combine stat!

The same combine stats that said DWade was a middle of the pack athlete for his draft year?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
why don't wwe make a little bet on that? I'll bet you 200 bones that by Reddick's 3rd year, he's not the best 3 point shooter in the league and isn't avergaing 15 points. Game?

And as far as never having another scorer - what the hell was Luol Deng? You know - the guy who Reddick played with when Reddick crapped the bed 3 of 5 games in the tourney, not to mention a horrific performance against Connecticut in the Final 4?

As far as the LSU game - what I saw was this - NO double teams - just one very athletic defender on Reddick completely shutting him down, just like it'll bein the NBA.

He's a bust and I'm willing to put money on it - are you?

I agree. Redick reeks of bust, and has "Casey Jacobsen" written all over him. I would be pissed if Phoenix drafted him.

Last edited:

NastyOne

Reaction score
Seems like everyone feels the same about Redick.

Cool i won't bring him up again, i'll just let the cards fall where they may.

I'll just say i told you so when he wins Rookie of the Year as the starting SG for Houston (Don't think he falls past them anyway) ;)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Are you really that dumb?

Now you're bringing his freshmen season into question? Jones was a senior, and Redick still was our best player even if he didnt lead the team in scoring.

Redick's deadly outside shot opened things up for every other player on the court.

You look at stats and think you know the entire story.

Watch a freaking game sometime.

um, i seem to recall you saying MULTIPLE times that redick never had any help during his entire career. and correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't an entire career usually INCLUDE a freshman season? also, i think cheese just put you in your place, jones and deng were excellent scoring options, as has been shelden williams. you're a homer, admit it. there's nothing wrong with it, but it does mean you have less objectivity. the rest of us really have no reason to hate redick or duke, so we can look at the situation more objectively. he's one-dimensional. you don't draft a single dimension with a #10 pick. well, unless you want to suck.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
devilalum said:
Rookies don't contribute much but you do have to continually develop young players.

I don't like the idea of trading Marion but if they are determined to save the money why not forget about the picks?

Marion and LB
for
Lewis and Ridnour

Then the Suns can still try to package their 2 picks to move up a little.
I think this makes the most sence for both teams...

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Marion/Barbosa/#27 for Lewis/Ridnour/#10 works under the cap

Nash/Ridnour
Bell/#21 (Halperin?)
Lewis/Diaw/Jones
Stoudemire/TThomas
KThomas/#10 (Armstrong or O'Bryant?)

I think I would approve of that trade....

Then I'd wonder if we could turn Jones/#21 into a backup C, or Jones/#10 for a top 5 pick (Aldridge?).

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And we wonder why we can't get new people to stay on the board.

This is a debate on opinions. There is no right or wrong here about the future of any player in the draft.

You are all a bunch of fanboys, each with your own bias. Everyone here is guessing...unless one of you can actually see into the future...

In which case feel free to send me the next winning lottery numbers.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
BTW, Jones/#10 to CHI for #2 would work under the cap....
LOL - #27 for #2 straight up works under the cap, too. No way in hell Chicago would trade down 8 spots for James Jones.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone think that the Suns may actually be talking to both Seattle and Chicago to see who offers the best deal (especially if LB is included)? I know I would try to get teams to compete for Marion to get the best compensation possible. I still think the Suns want a young talent out of the proposed trade concerning Marion besides the #10 pick and Lewis.

I still think the filler may be the key to this trade for Phoenix.

Last edited:

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
Marion/Barbosa/#27 for Lewis/Ridnour/#10 works under the cap.
I think I would approve of that trade....

Then I'd wonder if we could turn Jones/#21 into a backup C, or Jones/#10 for a top 5 pick (Aldridge?).
O'Bryant sounds like too much of a stiff to be a Sun C. Armstrong has long storied attitude problems. I really think 10 would give us Brewer. Halperin should be good in this system but he would most likely be available later.

MAybe (as elindholm suggested in a PM) Jones could be used to get rid of Fortson if he is in the trade (with a third team) for a draft pick. If we are saving enough money to resign TT Jones wouldn't be needed. This is assuming we are getting a front court player in the draft or trade.

As I suggested earlier the 10 and 21 might get us a top five pick from a rebuilding team (Blazers or Bobcats or Raptors I'm guessing).

If we got Brewer and Sene or Sefolosha (at 21) out of the draft I'd probably wet myself. Likewise if we snagged Aldridge. I know it's a gamble most wouldn't take but I think I could even live with Sene at 10 and Halperin at 21.

Nash Halperin
Bell Brewer
Lewis Jones
Diaw TT Skita
Amare KT Grant Burke

I could live with that come post season.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Seems like everyone feels the same about Redick.

Cool i won't bring him up again, i'll just let the cards fall where they may.

I'll just say i told you so when he wins Rookie of the Year as the starting SG for Houston (Don't think he falls past them anyway) ;)

hey, i'd love to take a chance on him with the 21st pick. i just don't think he's worth the gamble at 10.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

This is a debate on opinions. There is no right or wrong here about the future of any player in the draft.

You are all a bunch of fanboys, each with your own bias. Everyone here is guessing...unless one of you can actually see into the future...

4 12 19 31 47 2

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

:biglaugh:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Also ever think that maybe after fighting through all those screens during the season and running around like a chicken with his head cutoff, maybe fatigue set in with Redick during the tourny?

wow - you're just digging deeper and deeper here, huh? He's fatigued after 30 games and when he faces stiffer competition in the tournament, he's just too beat to play even mediocre? Yeah, that bodes well for a guy who's gonna face EVEN TOUGHER competition on a nightly basis in the NBA over an 82 game schedule. If he was worn down in college, can't wait to see how atrocious he'd be in the NBA playoffs at that point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

screw you Chris... you really think I'm gonna send you the lotto numbers, thus having to split the prize!?

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

First of all, I didn't know they had camp for ballboys at Duke. Secondly, I have a strange feeling you're one of those slow, unathletic, and white "shooting" guards.

I just had to get that in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05