Phoenix, Seattle Closing in on Deal?

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I am pretty sure this one is legit. I have talked to Jonathan Givony a couple of times, and he is really connected in the league (invited to help in multiple draft war rooms). Also, DraftExpress has a big policy about not overhyping things. They care more about their reputation than being the first to break news (unlike RealGM for example).....

If he is making this public, then he is pretty confident it will happen (I also know that he definitely has sources in the Suns front office)

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Sene will not be the number 10. He has a promise for the first round, but not from anyone above 20. The number 10 will either be Carney or Brewer - and we would try and nab Sene at 21.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If Sarver thinks he can shuffle the deck every year and still win 55 games he's more ******** than he looks dancin around on the sidelines with his big foam finger.

Sure Diaw had a surprising year but who filled up the box score every night this year? Nash and MARION. If you give up a guy that is top 20 in about 20 statistical categories you better get Murderers Row in return.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
This is not a Sarver call. This one comes from Mike D and Griff. It is Mike and Griff that have confidence they can move people in and out as long as they fit the system. They proved that this season.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Also, if we get Sene the idea I am hearing is to leave him overseas for at least 1-2 more years.

Would Sene actually agree to that? If so, he might actually be worth looking at.

I get the feeling the Suns really like Rodriguez. I expect they'd take him if he was still there at 21, and they might take him at 10 if Ronnie Brewer is gone.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I would think so - well it really isn't his choice anyways :)

They may bring him over, but the consensus is he wouldn't be close to contributing. It would be better for him to develop overseas so we get full advantage of the 4 year rookie deal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Suns may be looking at PG/ combo guard at #10 and a big man at #21, should such a trade occur. I think Sene would be a reach at #10 or even #21.

I have never seen Sene play but he sounds more like a long term project and the Suns are in a win now mode.

Just one other thought sticks in my mind... Cotton always liked Collison. I don't know if he could be worked into the deal.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I think they like Rodriguez and Diaz, but my guess is they go for a 2 at 10 - then a big at 21.

It would be really interesting if Williams slipped to 10 though. I wonder if they would take him?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
This is not a Sarver call. This one comes from Mike D and Griff. It is Mike and Griff that have confidence they can move people in and out as long as they fit the system. They proved that this season.

If Mark Cuban was the owner of the Suns do you think the decision making process might look a little different?

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
devilalum said:
If Mark Cuban was the owner of the Suns do you think the decision making process might look a little different?

Maybe, but not really. Donnie Nelson really has most of the control there. Mark is hands on (more so than Sarver - who I am not convinced is hands on at all), but he definitely respects Donnie.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilalum said:

Yes. He let Nash and Finley go for nothing.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I think that Lewis is a very good player. He has been an all-star once and can really play. He is not as good of a rebounder as he should be at 6' 10" tall. He averages 5.7 for his career and this year he had 5.0. He is a better 3 point shooter than Marion, (.384-.381 for last year) but Marion is a better average shooter. (.525-.467) last year. (.473-461) career.

However, Marion is still the best player of the two. I believe that is why the #27 for #10 and of course the salary issue.

Ranks #15 in the NBA in Points Per Game(21.8)
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game(11.8)
Ranks #10 in the NBA in Field-Goal Percentage(0.525)
Ranks #5 in the NBA in Steals Per Game(1.98)
Ranks #17 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game(1.69)
Ranks #7 in the NBA in Minutes Per Game(40.3)
Ranks #6 in the NBA in Minutes Played(3263.0)
Ranks #8 in the NBA in Field Goals Made(716.0)
Ranks #18 in the NBA in Field Goal Attempts(1365.0)
Ranks #6 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds(249.0)
Ranks #6 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per Game(3.1)
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds(710.0)
Ranks #4 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game(8.8)
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Total Rebounds(959.0)
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Steals(160.0)
Ranks #12 in the NBA in Blocks(137.0)
Ranks #13 in the NBA in Points(1769.0)
Ranks #5 in the NBA in Steals Per Turnover(1.28)
Ranks #16 in the NBA in Field Goals Per 48 Minutes(10.53)
Ranks #7 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(10.4)
Ranks #11 in the NBA in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(14.1)
Ranks #13 in the NBA in Steals Per 48 Minutes(2.35)
Ranks #19 in the NBA in Blocks Per 48 Minutes(2.02)
Ranks #1 in the NBA in Total Efficiency Points(2337.0)
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking(28.85)
Ranks #4 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes(34.38)

(I am sure you all know that where there is a smiley, there is supposed to be an eight)

Lewis has no rankings............

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:

I don't know if that is really fair. Everyone was confident Nash was going to resign, so there was no thought of trading him during the season. Also - he tried to do a sign and trade with us, but we rightfully refused. He was just blindsided by an offer much larger than he expected.

The Mavs tried frantically to trade Finley, but couldn't and financially they needed to use the Amnesty Clause. Especially since they had Howard waiting in the wings - along with Daniels...

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Maybe, but not really. Donnie Nelson really has most of the control there. Mark is hands on (more so than Sarver - who I am not convinced is hands on at all), but he definitely respects Donnie.

I've heard Sarver say publicly that winning is the most important thing but he we are for the second year in a row getting ready to make a deal that saves money and HOPEFULLY helps us stay competitive.

Just because it worked last year doesn't mean it'll work again.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I LOVE RASHARD LEWIS.

He would be sooooo perfect for this team!!

Man I though about this sooo many times, getting Lewis to the Suns my only concern was that I want Diaw to play SF also utlimately.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I agree that Marion is the better overall player - but I am not convinced that Lewis wouldn't be better here. Since we play so small - his height advantage would be big for us. Marion always had trouble with Lewis himself, and the Rasheed Walaces. SFs are getting bigger - and Marion was undersized against them - let alone PFs most the time...

Also, his better 3 point shooting will be huge for us. I think we can all agree on that. His overall percentage is lower, but it is still damn close to 50% which is great for a SF.

If it were just Marion and the 27 for Lewis and the 10 I would do it in a heartbeat.

The part about LB is the only thing that I want more info on.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:

He paid Finley a fortune to save a few million but Dallas still had a 92 million dollar payroll. And he signed Dampier for a zillion dollars.

My only point is that Cuban spends a lot over the cap.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if Barbosa is part of the deal as well, I say no go - but if it's just Marion and the 27 for Lewis and #10, I actually think you've got ot make that deal in a heartbeat the more I think about it.

Front line of Amare, Lewis and Kurt Thomas? That's 6'9, 6'10, 6'9 and Lewis' length will bother people. Not to mention offensively, we'd be frfeaking unstoppable - everyone on the court capable of creating their own shot, plus another dead-eye 3-point shooter - wow. Especially considering that any DA team is ALWAYS gonna win with offense, this deal looks like it makes a lot of sense.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
devilalum said:
I've heard Sarver say publicly that winning is the most important thing but he we are for the second year in a row getting ready to make a deal that saves money and HOPEFULLY helps us stay competitive.

Just because it worked last year doesn't mean it'll work again.

Right, but I think most of us agree that only 4-5 teams in the league would be able to support the payroll that the Suns (and it would be long term) would have after next season.

Marion would have to go, or other pieces around him instead, by next summer. Selling him on a high, in a deal that fits so well is the best basketball decision. Next year it may hurt, although I think it would help depending on the LB part - but it would definitely help in the future.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Rashard Lewis would be sick in this offense, he can post up, hit threes to keep the court open for amare. Marion for rashard i like.

Barbosa in the trade i don't. Barbosa is more valuable than the number 10 to me.

And who do you think they're looking at the 10 spot? Are they moving that high to get hilton armstrong, isn't that a little high? Or maybe a backup point in Rondo.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
devilalum said:
He paid Finley a fortune to save a few million but Dallas still had a 92 million dollar payroll. And he signed Dampier for a zillion dollars.

He paid Finley like 50 million to save 50 million. Not just "a few" million.

IIRC Finley had like 52 million on his deal. Given the Mavs tax problems, that was going to cost over 100 million for an aging 2g.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and here's the bottom line - if Amare's HEALTHY - this team kills everyone - with or without Marion or Lewis. But if Amare's NOT - this team ain't winning crap anyway, so we also get to start building for the future while at the same time getting rid of a HUMUNGOUS contract.