Phoenix, Seattle Closing in on Deal?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Lewis is a freaking stud, one of my favorite players and usually outplaying Marion head to head.

He is near 7'! He is younger than Marion. He can post up, he is a great shooter.

Man this would rock.

We could pick Marcus Williams or Rodney Carney at #10. We would still have Barbosa, Jones, #21 to make a good trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I don't know if that is really fair. Everyone was confident Nash was going to resign, so there was no thought of trading him during the season. Also - he tried to do a sign and trade with us, but we rightfully refused. He was just blindsided by an offer much larger than he expected.

The Mavs tried frantically to trade Finley, but couldn't and financially they needed to use the Amnesty Clause. Especially since they had Howard waiting in the wings - along with Daniels...

I think it was a fair statement. Mark Cuban does irritate me a tad. :)

However, Devilalum is okay in my book.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Right, but I think most of us agree that only 4-5 teams in the league would be able to support the payroll that the Suns (and it would be long term) would have after next season.

Marion would have to go, or other pieces around him instead, by next summer. Selling him on a high, in a deal that fits so well is the best basketball decision. Next year it may hurt, although I think it would help depending on the LB part - but it would definitely help in the future.

Maybe, but who gives the SUns the best shot at winning a title next year?

sunsfn

Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I agree that Marion is the better overall player - but I am not convinced that Lewis wouldn't be better here. Since we play so small - his height advantage would be big for us. Marion always had trouble with Lewis himself, and the Rasheed Walaces. SFs are getting bigger - and Marion was undersized against them - let alone PFs most the time...

Also, his better 3 point shooting will be huge for us. I think we can all agree on that. His overall percentage is lower, but it is still damn close to 50% which is great for a SF.

If it were just Marion and the 27 for Lewis and the 10 I would do it in a heartbeat.

The part about LB is the only thing that I want more info on.

The 3 point shooting is an advantage, not sure about huge, but the lack of rebounds is more a problem and I think huge. Marion averages twice as many as Lewis.

I am not trying to get in an arguement about this, but Marion is a heck of a player and people need to realize there are few players like him out there. At one time I remember Lewis not being all that gung ho to play every minute of every game, and Marion leaves it all on the court every game.

If it goes through I will be somewhat unhappy, but hoping that Lewis can be a decent defender for his size, and I am not sure he is.

The #10 pick can be a big deal if we get a Carney etc. for it. I believe that the suns will take a SG/SWING at 10 for offense and defense.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
devilalum said:
Maybe, but who gives the SUns the best shot at winning a title next year?

I don't really know. I honestly think Lewis would explode here. I love Marion to death, but Lewis is a SF who I think might be even better for us.

Plus the #10 would be a valuable bench player.

If LB is included without anything of value coming back - I think we would be better without the deal.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
sunsfn said:
The 3 point shooting is an advantage, not sure about huge, but the lack of rebounds is more a problem and I think huge. Marion averages twice as many as Lewis.

I mentioned this earlier, but Lewis would board more here. He wouldn't have the uber rebounding front line he did in Seattle.

Plus, a lot of Marion's rebounds are just gimme defensive boards. Someone still has to get those, they don't just dissapear.

We may lose 1-2 boards a game next year. But with Amare coming back, and plugging Lewis and Diaw on the front line I wouldn't be surprised if we gained a couple either.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I don't really know. I honestly think Lewis would explode here. I love Marion to death, but Lewis is a SF who I think might be even better for us.

Plus the #10 would be a valuable bench player.

If LB is included without anything of value coming back - I think we would be better without the deal.

The thing that keeps bothering me is that nothing is broken. You know the saying. This is not a trade to make the Suns better now. It might happen but that's not why its happening.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Lewis is definately an honest 6'11. He didn't have the greatest rebounding year sure but he also doesn't play PF for Seattle most of the time and 5 minutes less than Shawn Marion.

I honestly think Shawn Marion's rebounding is overrated because to me he seems like he is getting a lot of those rebounds that would be ours anyway he is just quicker than anyone to pick them up. I don't see him outboxing people for rebounds.

Lewis would be sick on this team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sunsfn said:

lack of rebounds from Lewis should more than be made up by Kurt and a healthy Amare. Hell, we can even go HUGE if we want to and play Nash, Lewis, Diaw, Amare and KT - although, not for extended periods of time, but Lewis isn't exactly runningin mud out there.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
We may lose 1-2 boards a game next year. But with Amare coming back, and plugging Lewis and Diaw on the front line I wouldn't be surprised if we gained a couple either.

If we lose 1-2 boards a game we're in big trouble. We're already one of the worst in the league. Amre had better rebound better than he did before the injury when he was routinely outrebounded by Marion.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
devilalum said:
If we lose 1-2 boards a game we're in big trouble. We're already one of the worst in the league. Amre had better rebound better than he did before the injury when he was routinely outrebounded by Marion.

Amare would average more if he wasn't playing with Marion.

Also 2 players I would hope are involved would be Petro and Ridnour should Barbosa be included I'd want one of them. I'd rather get Petro than Sene.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
joshstmarie said:
Maybe the plan is for the suns NOT to resign shard after next year...

Only problem with that is that Lewis has the choice. What if he has a down year and decides not to opt out?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilalum said:
The thing that keeps bothering me is that nothing is broken. You know the saying. This is not a trade to make the Suns better now. It might happen but that's not why its happening.

Honestly - when you haven't won a title, SOMETHING is broken. For me, I soured on Marion after his dissappearing act against SA, came backt o his side after the Clippers series than wrote him off for good after he became the Tortilla in his second consecutive WCF.

If Amare's not healthy, and we do this trade, we're screwed, but you know what? If Amare's not healthy and we have Marion, well we're screwed anyway and at least this way, we don't have such a huge contract and who knows, maybe with Lewis opting out, we might actually have cap room to go along with a really high pick next year (I could be totally wrong about that though).

I think a trade like this covers all bases.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Think about this:

How is bruce bowen gonna stop rashard when he posts up his ass?
Same with Josh Howard.

As long as rashard has enough lateral quickness to stay in front of the likes of a howard, we're good. But still barbosa better no be in the deal.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Amare would average more if he wasn't playing with Marion.

You can't have it both ways.

Marion gets all the clean up boards because there's no one else around but Amare would get more boards if Marion wasn't pulling them all down?

Marion outrebounded Amare and routinely beat him down the floor.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SteelDog said:
This is a stupid trade. If the Suns trade Marion for Lewis, we can forget about a shot at the title. If this team really is just trying to stay competative and stay under the cap it will be really hard to be a Sarver fan.

At least with Jerry you knew that winning came first. Sarver's motivation obviously is not winning a championship. Not to mention the fact that there is no way Lewis doesn't go for the money. So in basically guys we would be trading Marion for nothing. Getting a player for one year is not a good trade. Period.

Richie Sexon--one injury plagued year and gone.

I don't like this deal at all.

sunsfn

Reaction score
hsandhu said:
Think about this:

How is bruce bowen gonna stop rashard when he posts up his ass?
Same with Josh Howard.

As long as rashard has enough lateral quickness to stay in front of the likes of a howard, we're good. But still barbosa better no be in the deal.

I think Barbosa will be included, that is why the other unmentioned names are important. Maybe more tomorrow.

If the suns are inclined to do this deal, I am sure they want it done quick because they have to have players in for tryouts for the #10 spot.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Honestly - when you haven't won a title, SOMETHING is broken. For me, I soured on Marion after his dissappearing act against SA, came backt o his side after the Clippers series than wrote him off for good after he became the Tortilla in his second consecutive WCF.

If Amare's not healthy, and we do this trade, we're screwed, but you know what? If Amare's not healthy and we have Marion, well we're screwed anyway and at least this way, we don't have such a huge contract and who knows, maybe with Lewis opting out, we might actually have cap room to go along with a really high pick next year (I could be totally wrong about that though).

I think a trade like this covers all bases.

The playoffs is the one arguement I might swallow. I could see Lewis potentially making the Suns a better team in the playoffs but there's still no way you can say Lewis is a better player than Marion. The other pieces had better be really good and the Suns better have a winner picked out for that number 10 pick.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I honestly think Shawn Marion's rebounding is overrated because to me he seems like he is getting a lot of those rebounds that would be ours anyway he is just quicker than anyone to pick them up. I don't see him outboxing people for rebounds.

You are talking about the guy who got the offensive rebound against the Lakers in game 6 that allowed Timmy to hit the big 3.

Shawn is one of the top players in the game today.

I think Shard would be huge here also, but I think our defense and our Rebounding would be too big of an issue next year.

If it was Shard, Luke, # 10 for #27, Marion, and filler (not leo) I would be happier.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilalum said:

If this got Phoenix in position to get a player at #10 that can help now and a near equal SF (in Lewis) as well... it shouldn't be all bad. The Suns could then gamble a little on the 21st pick. Actually a lot of the players in this draft are gambles except the odds of getting a player that can help now really improves at #10.

If the Suns do choose a guard at #10, I hope he can play some PG. However, if D'Antoni thinks LB can develop as a PG, I tend to trust his judgement.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
I think Barbosa will be included, that is why the other unmentioned names are important. Maybe more tomorrow.

If the suns are inclined to do this deal, I am sure they want it done quick because they have to have players in for tryouts for the #10 spot.

"Secret" workouts ;) You might not know it but they probably worked out more guys. Someone could probably say more about it but not sure that would be correct.

Carney at #10!

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'm trying desperately to figure out a way that Seattle doesn't have to send us Fortson. Do you think this would fly?

After the 10th pick but before the 27th is made the Sonics trade Rashard and the guy they picked at 10. We give them Shawn and the 'future' pick - #27, which has zero value in a trade. 25% of Shawn's salary is around 3.75 million and the #10 pick slot is probably over 2 million + Rashard at 9.35 so Seattle should be able to take back a bit over 15 million in salary. Of course, if they calculate the 25% of the outgoing amount instead of the incoming amount (from Seattle's POV) then it won't work.

According to my calculation - if #10 is 2 million or more and Shawn is at 15.25 or less then it is within 25% + $100,000 of Shawn's salary. The more I think about the more I think the 25% is based on Seattles outgoing amount. I seem to remember the wording is that the team sending the lowest amount can take back 125% of their outgoing amount.

sunsfn

Reaction score
The #10 player may not help the suns much this year no matter who they get. It could take 2-3 years to get help from them. (unless Roy drops :) )

However, the #10 player eventually should be a very good player, just maybe not the first year.