Phoenix, Seattle Closing in on Deal?

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Richie Sexon--one injury plagued year and gone.

I don't like this deal at all.
what if it was shard one and done, resigned TT,Boris,Barbs,#10?

plus we gotta get ready for that hotlanta pick next year.

this trade makes alot of sense... with or without rashard after next year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilalum said:
The playoffs is the one arguement I might swallow. I could see Lewis potentially making the Suns a better team in the playoffs but there's still no way you can say Lewis is a better player than Marion. The other pieces had better be really good and the Suns better have a winner picked out for that number 10 pick.

Uh - isn't the Suns being a better team in the playoffs the ONLY argument that matters.

No one's saying Rashard is the better player, but I think he fits our offensive system better and we get the 10th pick. Again - if Leo's included, I say no deal, but if not - make the trade. If Amare's healthy, NO ONE will be able to match up with us in the playoffs, whereas the freaking Mavericks were able to shut Marion down with Jason freaking Terry. That would never happen with Lewis - he'd kill him inside.

You could have two guys who post everyone up, hell, even three guys with Boris and shooters galore. That's a NIGHTMARE for opposing teams. I do wonder what would happen to our running game without Marion, but without a doubt our half-court offense would be near impossible to stop.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Sene will not be the number 10. He has a promise for the first round, but not from anyone above 20. The number 10 will either be Carney or Brewer - and we would try and nab Sene at 21.

I heard Chicago was intrested in him at the 16th spot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Also 2 players I would hope are involved would be Petro and Ridnour should Barbosa be included I'd want one of them. I'd rather get Petro than Sene.

I really like those two players. It might be hoping for too much. Nick Collison might not be a bad option either. I don't know about his salary. The two players you mention I think are better options.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seems to me that Lewis and TT are virtually the same player. If we were to trade for Shard, what's the point in signing TT?

I will say that if this is happening, it's partly because Shawn wants out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally, if Andy thinks this thing has a chance to fly, I think ALL of us need to start getting to use it. He knows more than you guys think.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Seems to me that Lewis and TT are virtually the same player. If we were to trade for Shard, what's the point in signing TT?

depth.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

Lewis is better and younger, and you need TT for depth, our starters can't all play 40+ minutes.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Depth. The Suns could really use a big who can come off the bench and hit shots (like Horry used to).

TT's competition is James Jones and KT, not Marion, or Lewis if he's traded for Marion.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

I will say that if this is happening, it's partly because Shawn wants out.

or maybe, just maybe, the Suns agree with those of us who believe you sell high with a guy like Marion and there's a aneed to bridge the gap between eras... and that his griping and past playoff performances in the money rounds has left a bad taste in their mouths... but no, it couldn't be that. I mean all the people who want to see a good Shawn Marion trade are just "haters", right?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the Suns manage to get Petro or next years 1st I'd be in favor of the trade, otherwise I'd rather keep Marion. I've wanted Petro since the '04 draft, don't really like Ridnour though I think he's overrated and will be looking for a sizable contract himself.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would be ironic. Rashard and Shawn have been really close friends since the Olympic team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
It would be ironic. Rashard and Shawn have been really close friends since the Olympic team.

Maybe this is what both players want... both win... both friends. :)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
This part just isn't true. Like I said earlier, Lewis may even fit in better with the Suns. This is one deal that actually makes the team better (assuming the LB part gets equated).

Like I said. If your only getting him for one year (which will happen) then it's not worth it. Your basically trading Marion for CAP room. That is not how you build a championship team.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
If we trade Fortson I'll vomitt. For real, this dude is a piece of ****. I like the Chicago trade much better.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
SteelDog said:
Like I said. If your only getting him for one year (which will happen) then it's not worth it. Your basically trading Marion for CAP room. That is not how you build a championship team.

No you aren't.

Even if Lewis opted out he would resign for much less than the 15M$ Marion is going to make that year.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Even if Lewis opted out he would resign for much less than the 15M$ Marion is going to make that year.

Define much less. He'd be turning down 10mil and likely seeking a max which for him would put him near Marion's pay that year. I wouldn't want this trade unless he waived his option.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and you're also getting the 10th pick in the deal as well. Not to mention to the fact that a lot of Marion-guys just can't come to terms with - with Sarver laying down the line on money and going over the cap, this is Marion's last year here IMO. Someone's gonna have to go when Boris' contract extension kicks in and it would be the guy he's replacing - but our trade position wouldn't be as good and Marion would be a year older.

If this deal goes down, I also think a lot of people might want to realize they've been over-tstaing Marion's worth as far as anyone else is considered in the league.

That being said, the next few days are gonna be interesting.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Oooops, I forgot to mention I don't want us to ship out Barbosa either... bad, bad time to trade him. He's not going to get anywhere near 7-8 mil per annum off this past season but he might be up there next year if he really busts out. (He still won't be worth that much but I wouldn't mind us doing a sign and trade where we got back some good draft picks and a TE for him.)

I'm not itching to do the trade but like F-Dog said, if Lewis agreed to exercise his player option so would play three years for us then it isn't too awful. If we take Fortson and send Barbosa, forget it.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
I think Collison or perhaps Ridnour would be the balance to the Barbosa part of the trade. Petro is a mile high in their esteem and Ridnour was scrapping with Watson for minutes. I'd say do it. One thing no one seems to have mentioned is that from what I've seen Lewis rarely stands around as often as Marion. I really think he is more active in getting himself open.
Fortson does seem to costly too waive...

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slinslin said:
No you aren't.

So what does that matter? If your trading away Marion for salary cap space then what your saying is your building for the future not going for a title run. How stupid is that? If the draft pick is a bust, then you traded him away for nothing but salary cap space. Wow what a great idea!!!

Lewis is not as good as Marion period. Not to mention he does not rebound or defend very well. So the two things the Suns need more of your subtracting from the team.

Your hedging your bets on a draft pick, Lewis and DF?!?!?!? That does not equal title run. That equals trying to get your team under the cap so you don't have to spend. That means this team is not making a title run.

No thanks. JC would never have made this deal to save money. If the Diamondbacks had done that, we never would have won a title. We should go for the Title while we have the chance. Even if it straps the team financially....it would be worth it if we won a championship.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:
Define much less. He'd be turning down 10mil and likely seeking a max which for him would put him near Marion's pay that year. I wouldn't want this trade unless he waived his option.

I'd be shocked if anyone gives Lewis MAX money like Marion's contract. Especially since the KNicks won't have any cap room.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Barbosa and Fortson are apart of this deal, resigning Tim Thomas makes no sense at all. Even if the Suns get Carney or Brewer with #10, you're talking about zero people who've run an NBA offense next year. They'd pretty much be drafting guard/guard with #10 and #21 ... maybe Lowry with the second pick? Now you're talking about a very young back court ... although you can't really say the Suns got much help minus the starters and Barbosa this year when it counted.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SteelDog said:

The Suns would have two first round picks this year and two next year. I would want to keep Lewis but he could be a transition player in a worse case scenario. It might also mean the Suns get to draft the player they really want in this year's draft (at #10).

I think the Suns might have to move Marion next year because of cap implications anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely a Marion fan, but this trade proposal might be as close to fair value the Suns will get for Marion and prepare for the future.